PDA

View Full Version : Maggs says he wants long term contract and to stay in Chicago

MRKARNO
02-04-2004, 06:31 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040204&content_id=634329&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

:maggs

"I want to stay in Chicago, where they gave me my first opportunity,"

carusochop
02-04-2004, 06:34 PM
For a reasonable deal, we should lock him up long term. Also, Beltran will be a Free agent next year, he'd look great in Comiskey.

SEALgep
02-04-2004, 06:34 PM
More than Vlad, that doesn't sound good.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-04-2004, 06:37 PM
what is he supposed to do? come out and tell the fans that he can't wait to leave? It's nice to see this but players do it all the time, such as Colon and Roberto Alomar this offseason.

Edit: Now that I see the vlad like $$$ :o:

HITMEN OF 77
02-04-2004, 06:40 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Maggs stays here in Chicago. I think the OSx will offer him a very fair deal and he will take it. The Sox want, need, and hope he stays here on the Southside.

mac9001
02-04-2004, 07:07 PM
I say a deal in the rage of 5 years and $70M should be fine. With something like $15 deferred. So $11M annually and $3M deferred without interest until 2010-2015, fair? I think so.

SEALgep
02-04-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by mac9001
I say a deal in the rage of 5 years and $70M should be fine. With something like $15 deferred. So $11M annually and $3M deferred without interest until 2010-2015, fair? I think so.
The question is would he think it's fair. I think he wouldn't, especially if he thinks he can get it up front from someone else.

beckett21
02-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Hate to be negative here, sorry it's just my nature. I don't buy it. Just posturing, trying to make the Sox look like the bad guys when they don't give him what he wants. I hope they DON'T offer him Tejada/Vlad money--too much. No way he signs early, he has too many $$$ in his eyes right now...and we know the BIG money lies outside of this city. He's going FA, no doubt about it. Gotta sow his wild oats.

Noble of him to say, but it's a load of BS. I don't blame him if he leaves, but I don't buy it.

soxwon
02-04-2004, 08:23 PM
first i heard someoone say- Maggs told the Sox dont even offer him a contract, then someone said- Thomas vows to not play for Guillen?

who am i to believe, and who started these rumors?

Rex Hudler
02-04-2004, 08:33 PM
I believe the deal was Maggs agent told the Sox that he was going to explore free agency to find his real value and that offering him a contract now would do no good. I don't think he meant they couldn't offer them one once he files for free agency.

That said, I have no doubt Maggs could get the big money he wants...........

in DETROIT!

SouthSideHitman
02-04-2004, 09:06 PM
God help us if he does.

I don't like the looks of this. I love Maggs and think that he is consistently underrated but would still much rather have Vlad than him for that kind of money. My hope is that the Sox are competative all year and take the division so they can significantly increase payroll in a year where they escape from a lot of big contracts and they can keep Maggs and Frank and still make some noise on the market.

Hangar18
02-05-2004, 09:59 AM
I really really Hope He Means that. Magglio is a Franchise Player,
and a guy that came up thru our system. Keep Magglio

34 Inch Stick
02-05-2004, 10:09 AM
If it doesn't get done by the end of spring training, I don't think it will get done at all. If it isn't done by July it would be foolish not to try and trade him.

SEALgep
02-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
If it doesn't get done by the end of spring training, I don't think it will get done at all. If it isn't done by July it would be foolish not to try and trade him.

What if by July we're winning the division. Would you still want to dish him if it risks losing it?

soxnut
02-05-2004, 10:40 AM
I think there is a good chance of signing him to a similar deal, or one that will keep him in Chicago. And hopefully, Chicago as on the Southside---if ya know what I mean.

beckett21
02-05-2004, 11:29 AM
The problem is it's all chance. Magglio holds all the cards here. I would wish him all the best. He has earned everything he gets. But it's a pretty big gamble IMO and someone else said this before but you always seem to get less in a deadline deal. Personally I would love to see the guy retire with the Sox, (White that is). But I don't see him passing up a chance at free agency, and I don't see how we will be the highest bidder for his services. True it shouldn't all come down to money, but the notion of loyalty to a franchise in this day and age is nonexistent. Doesn't work that way anymore. Guys have to make as much money as they can possibly make while the window is still open. Magglio should be a star on a national level, and outside of Chicago he is not. Who could blame him if he could get better exposure elsewhere?

I wouldn't blame him if he left, and I think to put blind faith in the fact that he SAYS he wants to stay here is foolish. Business is business. Just ask JR.

jabrch
02-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Now is when he has the most trade value. If I were JR/KW, I would make him a VERY PUBLIC and VERY FAIR contract offer - whatever that is. If he doesn't accept it by P&C report day, then trade him to the Dodgers in a deal to get Mota, Perez and either Jackson or Miller. By midseason, nobody will give you, for Maggs, anything any better than that.

SEALgep
02-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by beckett21
The problem is it's all chance. Magglio holds all the cards here. I would wish him all the best. He has earned everything he gets. But it's a pretty big gamble IMO and someone else said this before but you always seem to get less in a deadline deal. Personally I would love to see the guy retire with the Sox, (White that is). But I don't see him passing up a chance at free agency, and I don't see how we will be the highest bidder for his services. True it shouldn't all come down to money, but the notion of loyalty to a franchise in this day and age is nonexistent. Doesn't work that way anymore. Guys have to make as much money as they can possibly make while the window is still open. Magglio should be a star on a national level, and outside of Chicago he is not. Who could blame him if he could get better exposure elsewhere?

I wouldn't blame him if he left, and I think to put blind faith in the fact that he SAYS he wants to stay here is foolish. Business is business. Just ask JR.

Unfortunately I agree. Some guys still have loyalty, but it is rare. It is debatable however how its best to handle the situation from here on out. Do we trade him and attempt to gain value for him, or do we make a run at the division with him, like the Royals are doing. I won't be upset with the organization whatever they do. If we trade him before the season is over, we do have Reed to take over, or Borchard if he becomes alive again. If the race is pretty close though, keeping him may be the best option. KW is more for the now, than he is in building for the future.

SEALgep
02-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
Now is when he has the most trade value. If I were JR/KW, I would make him a VERY PUBLIC and VERY FAIR contract offer - whatever that is. If he doesn't accept it by P&C report day, then trade him to the Dodgers in a deal to get Mota, Perez and either Jackson or Miller. By midseason, nobody will give you, for Maggs, anything any better than that.

Him coming out like this though reduces his trade value. If he hadn't we would have more leverage, now it appears desperate for us to get something for him. I would do that Dodgers deal, but unfortunately, I don't see that as an option. I think the situation should be handled the same though. Give us fair value for Maggs, or just keep him and make a run at the division. I would rather keep him than get "just something".

jeremyb1
02-05-2004, 11:58 AM
I dislike Maggs' comment about how the market is on the upswing again. If Vlad's deal demonstrates anything its that if the market is fluctuating at all its still on the decline. Stating otherwise is ridiculous and sounds like something fed to Maggs by an agent seeking money more than anything.

SEALgep
02-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I dislike Maggs' comment about how the market is on the upswing again. If Vlad's deal demonstrates anything its that if the market is fluctuating at all its still on the decline. Stating otherwise is ridiculous and sounds like something fed to Maggs by an agent seeking money more than anything.

For sure. He won't receive significantly more than Vlad, assuming he would get the same. The owners have driven the prices down, and it is a pattern that will continue next year. However, Maggs will still be sought after by several teams, I doubt anybody is going to offer five years 15 million per year. He is indeed speaking from what his agent has said, and probably really believes it. However, the market will probably not command that type of money. I might be wrong, but I figure him to sign a similar deal to Vlads. Five years at between 60-70 million dollars. Or if he doesn't like the long term approach due to the market, maybe he would reup with the Sox for a one year commitment.

beckett21
02-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

100% agree. The agents love to try and keep the market propped up, when the truth is quite the opposite. Look at Boras with Maddux. If it were such a great market, how many teams wouldn't love to add that guy. It's not gonna change next year, sorry Maggs.

depy48
02-05-2004, 12:34 PM
if maggs straight up says that he wants to stay in chicago,and kenny publically gives him an offer. he really cant turn it down without looking bad. so kenny has to make an offer!

beckett21
02-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by depy48
if maggs straight up says that he wants to stay in chicago,and kenny publically gives him an offer. he really cant turn it down without looking bad. so kenny has to make an offer!

I can't believe I am defending big business here, but any offer the Sox will make cannot come CLOSE to $70 mil over 5 years. Let's say they offer $50 or even $55 mil. Maggs will say that is a pay cut and that he needs to explore his options. Angelos or the Mets, somebody, will probably give him what he wants next year, so why not wait? He or his agent will try to paint the Sox as cheap and below market. Haven't we all learned that is how these things always play out?

My only hope is that if we keep him, he keeps thoughts of all those$$$ in mind and absoultely puts up monster numbers this year, in hopes of the big payday. At least he is playing for something this year. I still think the best option is to trade him before ST because I think he's gonna walk.

LATruBlue
02-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Him coming out like this though reduces his trade value. If he hadn't we would have more leverage, now it appears desperate for us to get something for him. I would do that Dodgers deal, but unfortunately, I don't see that as an option. I think the situation should be handled the same though. Give us fair value for Maggs, or just keep him and make a run at the division. I would rather keep him than get "just something".

SEALgep, I appreciate your fair reasoning.

SEALgep
02-05-2004, 12:46 PM
I doubt he cares if he looks bad in that sense. KW will most likely make an offer if he is retained. Last year he was offered a three year 15 million per, and he turned it down. I don't see how or why they would up that offer. If the years are extended, the price has to come down for average price per year. I like Maggs, and I would love to see him locked up. However, a five year deal for 15 million per year or more isn't going to happen. I would be upset if we did offer something to that effect. A five year 65 million dollar contract is fair and worth it. Maybe even 70 million. Beyond that, I just don't think it's worth it.

Was in response to deppy

beckett21
02-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Not to split threads here, but I don't see any way we lock him up beyond 2006. If he wants 5 years, he's gonna have to get it somewhere else IMO.

MisterB
02-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Him coming out like this though reduces his trade value. If he hadn't we would have more leverage, now it appears desperate for us to get something for him.

How could the Sox possibly have less leverage than they did before? Up to this point it is assumed that the Sox would not be able to re-sign Maggs (both due to budget and his desire to test the FA market) as well as needing to dump salary for this year. Any possibility of Maggs re-signing at least gives the appearance of another option to trading him.

depy48
02-05-2004, 01:06 PM
then how do you structure a contract, if you're KW, to keep maggs?

Hullett_Fan
02-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Let him go and use the $$$ to improve the pitching staff.

SEALgep
02-05-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Let him go and use the $$$ to improve the pitching staff.

If Reed has a season like last year, they may just end up doing that. If they can somehow get Beltran for less than what Maggs is going for, that would be interesting.

Hullett_Fan
02-05-2004, 02:15 PM
If Reed has a season like last year, they may just end up doing that. If they can somehow get Beltran for less than what Maggs is going for, that would be interesting.

Yep. I guess we'll see how good Reed at spring training. Beltran would be a great pickup if he goes for a couple million less per year than Maggs. Both have around .900 OPS but I'd much rather have the 30 extra SBs than the 10 extra HRs.

mdep524
02-05-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Yep. I guess we'll see how good Reed at spring training. Beltran would be a great pickup if he goes for a couple million less per year than Maggs. Both have around .900 OPS but I'd much rather have the 30 extra SBs than the 10 extra HRs.

Carlos Beltran is my favorite player in the league right now. If the Sox could get him to patrol CF in Comiskey Park, I would be overjoyed and do backflips!!!!

jshanahanjr
02-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Start the bidding @ 12.5 a year for 5 and go from there. The Sox should be able to get him in the 12.5-13 a year range. Get it done! He's quiet and swings a big stick!

CWSGuy406
02-05-2004, 07:15 PM
I'm gonna agree with a few others here and say I'd love to see Mags resigned and hate to see him go. I didn't think Mags had a great year last year, and I look back at the numbers and he still hits .315 +, fairly high OBP at .380, and will almost always put up 30 HRs and 100 RBIs, falling 1 short on each side last year. He also plays a solid RF for us.

I want to have a franchise player. I feel Mark Buerhle and Mags can be our cornerstones, as well as some of our up and coming players (Honel, Reed, etc.). Hopefully some guys can step up this season (Garland, Crede, Olivo) and we can have a solid season this year.

On the other hand, I agree that if he's asking for too much, then either trade him or let him walk.

Kid T
02-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Something tells me that Beltran will be looking for the same type of money that Maggs will be.

SEALgep
02-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Kid T
Something tells me that Beltran will be looking for the same type of money that Maggs will be.

You're probably right, but hypothetically, if Maggs stiffed us and we had a chance to get Beltran, I would take it assuming it's a reasonable deal. I wouldn't miss Maggs so much then.

Daver
02-05-2004, 08:54 PM
Maggs is a good ballplayer,but he is not worth the money Vlad got,plain and simple,and if he really thinks he can command the type of money his agent is asking for,I think he is in for a real disappointment.

Vlad Guerrero is a five tool player that is consisent on both sides of the ball,compared to Ordonez,who is a good hitter and a decent outfielder,and it ends right there.

SEALgep
02-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Maggs is a good ballplayer,but he is not worth the money Vlad got,plain and simple,and if he really thinks he can command the type of money his agent is asking for,I think he is in for a real disappointment.

Vlad Guerrero is a five tool player that is consisent on both sides of the ball,compared to Ordonez,who is a good hitter and a decent outfielder,and it ends right there.

I agree with you. Although I feel Maggs is a five tool player, Vlad is just a little bit better. The market isn't on the rise like he said, which I don't even understand what he meant. This was the first offseason with a dramatic decrease, and he's already talking rebound. He's just saying what his agent told him to say. I understand, but I hope when it comes down to it, he asks for a reasonable deal. We'll see. There will be interest in him, so it will be interesting to see where the market places him.

maurice
02-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Maggs is about a two-and-a-half tool player. Not much of an arm, little speed, and okay defense. Vlad is more than a little bit better from a tools standpoint.

jabrch
02-05-2004, 09:51 PM
If Maggs wants to stay - put 12/5 in front of him, on the table, with the world to see it. If he rejects it, then we know what he really wants. If he accepts it, I'd be thrilled to have him stay and play out his career with us. I just would hate to see an opportunity go by to maximize his long term value to us via trade if we are going to lose him eventually anyhow.

Lip Man 1
02-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Jabrch says: If Maggs wants to stay - put 12/5 in front of him, on the table, with the world to see it. If he rejects it, then we know what he really wants.

A few things, if you mean 12 million for 5 years you'd have a hard time getting washed up MLB players for that kind of cash let alone a star player. That's 2.4 million a season. Don't kid yourself the market isn't that soft.

Plus as with any contracts involving the Sox when they annouce what's offered how do you know they mean what they say? After all they "offered" Colon 36 million. Then it comes out weeks later that the "36" is based on incentives and deferred money. Who knows how much actual dollars up front were offered (Obviously not enough since Colon said 'no' so fast it made Williams' head spin.)

Lip

Konerko05
02-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

A few things, if you mean 12 million for 5 years you'd have a hard time getting washed up MLB players for that kind of cash let alone a star player. That's 2.4 million a season. Don't kid yourself the market isn't that soft.

Lip [/B]

I think he meant 12 million a year for 5 years. That would come out to 60 million for 5 years.

Lip Man 1
02-05-2004, 11:29 PM
OK now that makes sense to me. But if Mags was being serious about a five or six year deal, he'll never get it from the Sox.

The Sox wouldn't give Jesus a five year deal. (To much risk you understand!)

Lip

sas1974
02-05-2004, 11:41 PM
OK now that makes sense to me. But if Mags was being serious about a five or six year deal, he'll never get it from the Sox.

The Sox wouldn't give Jesus a five year deal. (To much risk you understand!)

Lip

I wouldn't be so sure. I think Jesus is a five tool player too.

SSN721
02-06-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by sas1974

And just think how great he would be in the clubhouse. :D: I think he could end up being one of our team leaders. :cool:

Aggravated Bob
02-06-2004, 02:29 PM
Company Mope Hawk Harrelson was again trashed on WSCR today by Boers and Bernstein. Saying that Hawk has never had an opinion that WASN'T management's, Bernstein lambasted our carnival barker announcer for telling Sox Farce attendees that Magglio Ordonez was leaving after the season. Ordonez is quoted as saying he wants a new deal with the White Sox.
Someone at 35th Street who is not comatose should realize that any Sox fan with a pulse and an I.Q. above 70 does not believe a word Hawkeroo says. So let him drink all he wants at Sox Farce...just don't let him talk to people.

joecrede
02-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Aggravated Bob
Company Mope Hawk Harrelson was again trashed on WSCR today by Boers and Bernstein. Saying that Hawk has never had an opinion that WASN'T management's, Bernstein lambasted our carnival barker announcer for telling Sox Farce attendees that Magglio Ordonez was leaving after the season.

And Bernstein has never had an opinion that wasn't Terry's . . .

TaylorStSox
02-06-2004, 03:43 PM
I agree with Daver and Maurice. Like I said in the other thread, Vlad is better at EVERY facet of the game. He's more dynamic offensively. He's better on the bases. The defensive isn't even comparable. Maggs is great, but he's no Vlad.

mike squires
02-06-2004, 04:53 PM
They just had a bit on it on ESPN news. I feel better after actually seeing it. I'm still not sold that the Sox he will be with the Sox however it is encouraging. Although Maggs hits into a lot of DP's and is average defensivly he has proven he is in the top teir of american league ballplayers. If he is not with the Sox next year it's cause the Sox didn't want him. They've done it time and time again...Baines, Fisk...Although Fisk was at the end of his career and about out of gas...I'm tired of the Whitesox letting go of their star franchise players. I'd hate to see it happen to Maggs. I'm shocked Frank is still with this club.

joecrede
02-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
I'm tired of the Whitesox letting go of their star franchise players.

I can't remember the last franchise player who the White Sox let go of.

mike squires
02-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I guess the Sox have had very few franchise players. I guess my point is I'm tired of the Sox letting go and the way they let go of their players. The way the players leave unhappy. Wasn't it Cameron who found out he had been traded on TV as he folded laundry? Fisk letting him go during the awesome year they had in 93. Wouldn't have Fisk had been great to at least have on the bench during the playoffs? What did Karko do during that series?! Trading Baines in 89, didn't Durham leave unhappy? I don't know, you wonder why noone wants to play in Chicago.

beckett21
02-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I guess the Sox have had very few franchise players. I guess my point is I'm tired of the Sox letting go and the way they let go of their players. The way the players leave unhappy. Wasn't it Cameron who found out he had been traded on TV as he folded laundry? Fisk letting him go during the awesome year they had in 93. Wouldn't have Fisk had been great to at least have on the bench during the playoffs? What did Karko do during that series?! Trading Baines in 89, didn't Durham leave unhappy? I don't know, you wonder why noone wants to play in Chicago.

I don't think anyone wonders--it is painfully obvious! :(:

SEALgep
02-06-2004, 05:20 PM

Doesn't the fact that they are unhappy about being traded mean they wanted to stay. I would rather have that than some other teams where the players asked to be traded and couldn't be happier to leave.

joecrede
02-06-2004, 05:34 PM

With all due respect, I could not care less how a player finds out that they are leaving or how they feel about leaving. It just is not important.

Lip Man 1
02-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Like I said in the other thread, Vlad is better at EVERY facet of the game.

Including being on the injured list...

With all due respect, I could not care less how a player finds out that they are leaving or how they feel about leaving. It just is not important.

Of course that takes common professional courtesy something the Sox organization is in very short supply of. Little things like that get around Joe and who knows what factors in someone's mind when they are looking at the Sox as a possible destination. If nothing else, would it hurt the Sox to act professionally? Would it cost them one thin dime? (Anything more then that they can't afford of course...)

Lip

A. Cavatica
02-06-2004, 06:56 PM
The Sox wouldn't give Jesus a five year deal.

And I thought I was the only one who appreciated Jesus Pena!

Daver
02-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by sas1974

Scouting reports say he can't hit a curveball..........

:)

mdep524
02-06-2004, 08:41 PM
I think it's pretty likely Maggs is not going to sign an extension for anything less than $15 mil- regardless of whether the Sox are his number one choice or not. He says he wants "Vlad or Tejada" money, and that the market is on a upswing- aka he wants big time $$$. So let me propose the following scenario to you:

Option A: If you could sign Maggs to an extension tomorrow for $15 mil/year for five years or...

Option B: You wait til the offseason, and, realizing the market hasn't played out the way his wanted and that his expectations were wrong, Maggs drops his demands and you sign him for $12 mil/year for five years.

Which would you do?

If the White Sox think Option B is likely, why would they "overpay" for him right now?

depy48
02-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
I think it's pretty likely Maggs is not going to sign an extension for anything less than $15 mil- regardless of whether the Sox are his number one choice or not. He says he wants "Vlad or Tejada" money, and that the market is on a upswing- aka he wants big time $$$. So let me propose the following scenario to you:

Option A: If you could sign Maggs to an extension tomorrow for $15 mil/year for five years or...

Option B: You wait til the offseason, and, realizing the market hasn't played out the way his wanted and that his expectations were wrong, Maggs drops his demands and you sign him for $12 mil/year for five years.

Which would you do?

If the White Sox think Option B is likely, why would they "overpay" for him right now?

of course the sox would prefer option B, but i would choose option A and defer more than just some of the money. Its likely that there will be a market for maggs. Maybe not as big as maggs' expects but....

Kid T
02-08-2004, 11:33 PM

Which would you do?

If the White Sox think Option B is likely, why would they "overpay" for him right now? [/B][/QUOTE]

If Maggs had several teams willing to pay $12 million x 5 years what are the chances he'd want to stay if the team doesn't contend this year? Would he jump to a larger market club like the Red Sox, Mariners, or Dodgers for a shot at a ring if the Sox don't contend?

SEALgep
02-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Kid T

Which would you do?

If Maggs had several teams willing to pay $12 million x 5 years what are the chances he'd want to stay if the team doesn't contend this year? Would he jump to a larger market club like the Red Sox, Mariners, or Dodgers for a shot at a ring if the Sox don't contend? [/B][/QUOTE]

I guess it depends. He said he wants to stay with the Sox, but it is yet to be determined how much he is willing to stay. If the Sox offered the same deal as another team and he chose them, did he really want to stay. I hope he does, but we'll see.