PDA

View Full Version : Sox to start weeknight games at 8pm?

ozzman
02-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Rosenbloom said in his column today that the sox are starting night games at 8pm this year because Reinsdorf says the #1 reason people stay away during the week is because traffic is horrendous getting to the games.
Starting the games later may bring in some fans who wouldn't normally go because of the traffic, but how many will it turn away because it will be an hour later when the game ends. I can see more families with school-aged children staying away during the school months. I don't think this is a good move by the sox. Another wonderful move by our wonderful PR dept. And by wonderful I mean terrible.

voodoochile
02-04-2004, 10:15 AM
I think 8:00 is too late. 7:30 would have been a better compromise. They definitely needed to do something. People are constantly arriving late with the 7:00 starts.

duke of dorwood
02-04-2004, 10:17 AM
By 7:30 most are there-that's a good choice. 8:00 and the results wouldnt even be on the 10:00 news.

doublem23
02-04-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by ozzman
I can see more families with school-aged children staying away during the school months.

Eh, I don't think the school-aged children and families was a big a contributor as you think during school, anyway. Hopefully they'll be replaced by later arrivals.

duke of dorwood
02-04-2004, 10:19 AM
You'll get drunker fans at 8:00 too with that extra time.

anewman35
02-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by ozzman
Rosenbloom said in his column today that the sox are starting night games at 8pm this year because Reinsdorf says the #1 reason people stay away during the week is because traffic is horrendous getting to the games.

Err, that's not happening, is it? I know they considered it, but the schedule posted on whitesox.com shows 7:05 games. Did they pass out a schedule at Soxfest? What times did it show?

StillMissOzzie
02-04-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
Err, that's not happening, is it? I know they considered it, but the schedule posted on whitesox.com shows 7:05 games. Did they pass out a schedule at Soxfest? What times did it show?

They did, and they all have the evening games at 7:05 Interestingly enough, though, the Sunday games will start at 2:05 instead if 1:05

SMO
:gulp:

skottyj242
02-04-2004, 11:30 AM
They sent a survey to season ticket holders asking their preferences on time and what not, I guess the results of that is what pushed Sunday afternoons back to 2:05.

CubKilla
02-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by skottyj242
They sent a survey to season ticket holders asking their preferences on time and what not, I guess the results of that is what pushed Sunday afternoons back to 2:05.

So people can go to church..... that was cited as one of the reasons. For me, it'd just be another hour of drinking time at a (hopefully) sunny, Sunday tailgate.

Brian26
02-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Moving night games back to 8pm or 8:05pm would be insane. I'd think 7:35 would be the latest they could start.

TheRockinMT
02-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

Maybe they can get more at the concession stand and use the profit to sign a free agent or two? 8 PM is a bit late really.

I wonder how that might affect scheduling of games over ESPN?

munchman33
02-04-2004, 12:01 PM

I'll be ready. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

anewman35
02-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
I wonder how that might affect scheduling of games over ESPN?

Well, I don't think it's happening (the only source seems to be secondhand information in a column that's mostly a humor column, anyway), but I'm sure the Sox would change individual game times for ESPN. They've done it in the past, moving some Wednesday night games to 6:05 to be on ESPN...

mike squires
02-04-2004, 12:25 PM
you mean ESPN want to televise the Sox? :o:

Hangar18
02-04-2004, 01:32 PM
8pm starts are NOT happenening, otherwise, it wouldve
been announced a while back (at the same time the 2pm sunday
starts were announced). They would have to change ALL
the schedules they put out with 705 as the start times.

CubKilla
02-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
They would have to change ALL the schedules they put out with 705 as the start times.

:reinsy

"Not unless you're paying for it."

Clembasbal
02-04-2004, 02:15 PM
I got an email from my Sox-rep and he said that there was an overwhelming negative response to move the games from 7:05 during the week. He did not say way (probably beause families might be scared of the area more at 11:00 or midight rather than 9:30 or 10:00.

And the schedule that I recieved from he only said their were changes on Sunday games.

bobj4400
02-04-2004, 02:59 PM
By 7:30 most are there-that's a good choice. 8:00 and the results wouldnt even be on the 10:00 news.

people still watch the local news???

kittle42
02-04-2004, 03:55 PM
All games will start at 8:05.......EST.

dickallen15
02-04-2004, 04:47 PM

Back in the 70's the home games did start at 8:00. They were moved to 7:30 for the very reason you stated, and the fact that the articles on the game would then make the paper.

Huisj
02-04-2004, 06:18 PM
it would suck for me, what few games i can get on tv here i would hardly have time to stay up and watch all of anyway, because they wouldn't get done til midnight eastern time. they would barely get on the late edition of baseball tonight, and the GR Press would never have their boxscores in the morning paper the next day.

DannyCaterFan
02-05-2004, 07:42 PM
I know that changing the starting time of night games has been discussed because of the anticipated Dan Ryan construction, but I seriously doubt the Sox have done anything. All of their schedules handed out at SoxFest call for a starting time of 7:05.
I have been saying for years that it is a burden on Sox fans (Most of them blue collar workers) to leave a job at 5:00, travel to their homes, and then ride back to the ballpark by 7:00. This is particularly difficult if one lives in the suburbs.
I have always felt that a 7:30 starting time is the best option for fans. As a long time fan, I remember starting times in my youth were at 8:00. Long before that, in the 1940's, starting time was 8:30. Far as I can tell, the reason for the earlier start time has to do with meeting early deadlines for the Chicago daily papers, and getting Sox highlights and results on the 10:00 news.
There is no question that the early starting time decreases attendance. Why not try a later 8:00 start on Friday nights to see if there is a spike to attendance??

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-05-2004, 08:01 PM
That later start time for fans who live out in the boonies, like me, would be brutal. We travel in from the far side of McHenry. There are no quick routes to get home. When a game ends around 10:00 and you get a bit trapped in the parking lot and traffic is heavy in the city, we don't get home until well after Midnight, sometimes 1:00.
That's a long ride home when you are all boozed up! :gulp:

RedPinStripes
02-05-2004, 09:01 PM
8:00 games? I wont even be able to stay up to watch a lot of the games if they're that late.

RedPinStripes
02-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Traffic isnt bad in the city at during rush hour. (If you know your way around) :D:

TheRockinMT
02-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
you mean ESPN want to televise the Sox? :o:

Yes, Why Yes They Would! They televised a game last year against the Angels I believe where Frank Thomas hit two 2-run homers including the game winner and the Sox won 4-2. Probbaly the most exciting game on TV, at least in my opinion.

Lip Man 1
02-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Danny says:

As a long time fan, I remember starting times in my youth were at 8:00. Long before that, in the 1940's, starting time was 8:30.

You're right. Games were moved from an 8PM CST time to 7:30 beginning in 1977. They were moved to a 7PM CST start beginning in 1986.

You're correct in that it was done because game highlights weren't even getting on the 10:20 sports.

Remember though the reason for the changes were because games were taking longer. You had more pitchers in the league who couldn't even get Little Leaguers out because of expansion, beer league softball like scores and batters taking forever to adjust their batting helmet, batting gloves, jocks and who knows what else between pitches.

The days when guys like Billy Pierce, Early Wynn, Dick Donovan, Bob Shaw, Gary Peters, Tommy John, Joe Horlen and Juan Pizarro could toss a nine inning game in 2 hours or 2:15 minutes are long gone.

Lip

Lip Man 1
02-05-2004, 09:36 PM
For the first time in years ESPN televised a number of games from Comiskey Park because the team was actually winning. They did a Sunday night game with Seattle early in the year then a bunch after the break including some weekday afternoon games.

I remember games at home versus Minnesota, two against Kansas City, a game with Anaheim and a game with the Yankees off the top of my head.

See another reason for ownership to start winning. My God it generates national exposure!

Lip

TornLabrum
02-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
For the first time in years ESPN televised a number of games from Comiskey Park because the team was actually winning. They did a Sunday night game with Seattle early in the year then a bunch after the break including some weekday afternoon games.

I remember games at home versus Minnesota, two against Kansas City, a game with Anaheim and a game with the Yankees off the top of my head.

See another reason for ownership to start winning. My God it generates national exposure!

Lip

But that would put the lie to the statement that this is a small market team!

ChiSox14305635
02-05-2004, 10:00 PM

Like they're on there right now. If it takes more than 10 seconds, they won't show it.

sas1974
02-05-2004, 10:18 PM
There is no way they are moving the start times. This would have been a much bigger deal, much earlier. The Sox just can't pick some arbitrary time. MLB would definitely have some say so in this one.

Lip Man 1
02-05-2004, 10:20 PM
I don't think MLB actually does have a say. Now the MLBPA has some rules and regulation like you can only play I think 21 straight days, or they have guidelines on day games after a night game but I don't think MLB itself gets involved.

Individual teams know their market and set their own times.

Lip

sas1974
02-05-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I don't think MLB actually does have a say. Now the MLBPA has some rules and regulation like you can only play I think 21 straight days, or they have guidelines on day games after a night game but I don't think MLB itself gets involved.

Individual teams know their market and set their own times.

Lip

I was unaware... I would have thought that this would have to be settled a bit earlier than now, no? I would guess that teams would have their travel plans and schedules set. To just come out now and tell our visiting teams that we're starting at 8 instead of 7 would seem quite unusual.