tanko
02-04-2004, 10:48 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7057293

Baby Fisk
02-04-2004, 11:05 AM
WOW! Nice places ahead of Detroit!

fquaye149
02-04-2004, 04:39 PM
i don't care what all you naysayers (including sportsline) say, we are not worse than san diego

Grobber33
02-05-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
i don't care what all you naysayers (including sportsline) say, we are not worse than san diego

According to most Baseball writers I have talked to,SD IS better than the Sox and many other teams. Some are picking them to WIN the NL West and perhaps play the Phillies in the NLCS. We shall see.

fquaye149
02-05-2004, 11:11 AM
wow...now that would be impressive...a team with 2 or 3 additions, the return of a fragile trevor hoffman and an overrated phil nevin goes from probably the 5th worst team in baseball to playing in the nlcs against a team that didn't even make the playoffs last year and has only added billy wagner?

Jjav829
02-06-2004, 12:46 AM
wow...now that would be impressive...a team with 2 or 3 additions, the return of a fragile trevor hoffman and an overrated phil nevin goes from probably the 5th worst team in baseball to playing in the nlcs against a team that didn't even make the playoffs last year and has only added billy wagner?

Wow, you are seriously underrating these teams. First off, the Padres biggest move of the offseason, really came at the end of last season and that was the addition of Brian Giles. They'll first begin to feel the effects of that this season. They've added a good catcher in Ramon Hernandez, and some decent veteran pitchers (David Wells, Ismael Valdes, Sterling Hitchcock). Signing Payton was a nice move for them, and while Jeff Cirillo was bad in Seattle, he will still help strengthen their bench. They still have some good young talent that will be more experienced this year (Nady and Peavy) and Khalil Greene will most likely get a chance this year. If they stay healthy, I think they have a good chance to be very improved.

As for the Phillies, they didn't just add Wagner. They added Tim Worrell which gives them a good 1-2 punch at the end of their pen (tremendously better from the back end of their pen last year with Jose Mesa and Mike Williams finishing games). They also added Eric Milton to their rotation giving them a very solid 1-5. Marlon Byrd looks very good and if Pat Burrell rebounds from his completely awful year last year, they also have a chance to be better. Their biggest weakness last year was their bullpen and they've made two great additions to help solve that. They added Milton AND held onto Millwood. I'd be very surprised if they don't win the NL East this year.

fquaye149
02-06-2004, 01:12 AM
wasn't philadelphia a lock for the nl east last year?....

offseason acquisitions are exciting and all... but

:rolleyes

DSpivack
02-06-2004, 01:52 AM

Philly might have been a fave last year, but the Braves surprised some and their offense exploded- their pitching was good, but not Braves-like.

Atlanta this year is without Maddux, Lopez, and Sheffield. [and more?] I'd say those are pretty big losses.

lowesox
02-06-2004, 01:59 AM
The only thing that gives me hope is that the Sox usually do well when the expectations are low, and I can't remember my expectations being any lower than they are now.

Bisco Stu
02-06-2004, 04:40 AM
I am also picking the Padres to win the NL West.

Sox will win the Central. We've always had the superior talent, now it's time for attention to details and playing with mad desire ala the 2002 Angels.

Jjav829
02-06-2004, 08:48 AM

Yeah, you're right. Offseason acquisitions are pointless. I mean look what Pudge did for the Marlins last year. Nothing. It was a completely pointless signing. O...wait.

Theres no point in making any offseason acquisitions. You are much better off standing pat with your team and hoping by some magic that they become better rather than being proactive and pursuing players to fill the holes on your team. I mean whats an all star closer (and a middle reliever who had 38 saves last year and had an ERA under 3 the past 2 years) going to do to help a team that had one of the worst bullpens in baseball? Nothing, right? Yeah....

fquaye149
02-06-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Yeah, you're right. Offseason acquisitions are pointless. I mean look what Pudge did for the Marlins last year. Nothing. It was a completely pointless signing. O...wait.

Theres no point in making any offseason acquisitions. You are much better off standing pat with your team and hoping by some magic that they become better rather than being proactive and pursuing players to fill the holes on your team. I mean whats an all star closer (and a middle reliever who had 38 saves last year and had an ERA under 3 the past 2 years) going to do to help a team that had one of the worst bullpens in baseball? Nothing, right? Yeah....

ok. that's true. although i would hardly say that pudge was the key to their winning the world series. but for every heavily lauded offseason acquisition, not that many are as good as the hype....you only have to look as far as our squad to realize that...

oh and phillie picked up a hard throwing reliever who could have conceivably won a rolaif relief man award?.....i mean, that practically guarantees a playoff appearance.... right KW?

Jjav829
02-06-2004, 09:15 AM
ok. that's true. although i would hardly say that pudge was the key to their winning the world series. but for every heavily lauded offseason acquisition, not that many are as good as the hype....you only have to look as far as our squad to realize that...

oh and phillie picked up a hard throwing reliever who could have conceivably won a rolaif relief man award?.....i mean, that practically guarantees a playoff appearance.... right KW?

Pudge was key to winning the World Series if nothing else for all he did in the playoffs. But thats another argument if you want to have it.

Comparing Billy Koch to Billy Wagner isn't absurd. Has Billy Koch ever posted a 1.72 ERA in a season? Nope. His lowest ERA in a year is 2.63. Billy Wagner has posted an ERA below 2.63 four times in his career (as well as 2.70, 2.73, and 2.85). In fact hes only had an ERA over 3 once in his entire career and that was in 2000 when he struggled with injuries and lost his velocity (ended up with an ERA over 6 in 28 games). That comparison is ridiculous. Billy Wagnger is a great closer. Koch isn't.

fquaye149
02-06-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Pudge was key to winning the World Series if nothing else for all he did in the playoffs. But thats another argument if you want to have it.

Comparing Billy Koch to Billy Wagner isn't absurd. Has Billy Koch ever posted a 1.72 ERA in a season? Nope. His lowest ERA in a year is 2.63. Billy Wagner has posted an ERA below 2.63 four times in his career (as well as 2.70, 2.73, and 2.85). In fact hes only had an ERA over 3 once in his entire career and that was in 2000 when he struggled with injuries and lost his velocity (ended up with an ERA over 6 in 28 games). That comparison is ridiculous. Billy Wagnger is a great closer. Koch isn't.

this may be true...but closer is a very shaky business...if wagner loses velocity, he will not be nearly as effective.

regardless, that is tangential. my main point is that offseason acquisitions are nice and everything...but to say because of a few additions a team will be instantly from sub-.500 records to contenders (i.e. the padres) is rather foolish. all of a sudden the angels are the favorites in the al west? maybe....but baseball is greater than the sum of its parts.

it's a little like whoever made the thread saying he was afraid of the tigers now that they have i-rod, aurilia and vina...

the padres are a better team this year... and yeah, who knows what can happen in baseball...i mean the cubs DID drastically improve last year...but to act like it's a fact that the pad's are better than the sox...? i don't know....

whatever...only time will really tell