PDA

View Full Version : Anybody understand this?

Pete Ward
09-06-2001, 07:29 AM
From the Daily Herald:

Manuel said Rocky Biddle is still scheduled to make his next start, against the Indians on Friday.

Over his last 2 starts, Biddle has given up 13 runs (8 earned) on 16 hits over 10 innings.

Sean Lowe, who pitched 5 shutout innings against the Tigers in a spot start on Tuesday, is back in the bullpen.

"I'm just going to pitch when they tell me to,'' Lowe said.

Biddle has been hurt this year. He missed a few starts this season with a tender shoulder. Besides the fact he has stunk it up lately, why is he starting?

Whats up with Sean Lowe? What has he ever done to piss off the Sox? All he does is work effectively in any role they use him in.

:sockem

Paulwny
09-06-2001, 07:38 AM
The logic of this organization is mind boggling. Lowe has not been forgiven for what the hell he may have done. He'll jump ship as soon as he can, too bad.

ode to veeck
09-06-2001, 08:56 AM
Only one logical reason Sean should arguably be in the bullpen: he and Glover have been the only consistent middle relievers all year and the bullpen has been critical in a good number of losses this year (much more so than the fielding D)

I like him as starter though, and he certainly deserves it in a depleted staff, but Friday would certainly be too early for his next start

:cleo

"Of course logic has nothing to do with JM's moves, he's been calling me ever since he and KW broke their ouiji board at x-mas!"

voodoochile
09-06-2001, 09:26 AM
I have to agree. I think the move is more to stregthen the bullpen than it is rotation related. Besides, Rocky seems to have one bad inning per start. If he can keep that inning "down" to 3-4 runs, then the Sox have saved the bullpen for another day and are still in the game. With all the youth in the starting rotation, strong middle relievers become more and more necessary. It is better from and organizational stand point to have Lowe available for 2-3 innings 3 times a week than to have him for 3 5 inning starts every 2 weeks.

On the other hand, maybe JM is trying to jumpstart the offense. The guys know that with Rocky pitching they have to score some runs, so they concentrate better... Yeah, it sounded like a reach to me too...

:)

Dadawg_77
09-06-2001, 10:39 AM
Honestly I think you guys are over looking somthing here. Jerry doesn't care if we win the game. He knows the playoffs are lost for this season, despite what he say in public, thus you start a young pitcher to see what type mental attiude he brings to the table. So its more of a test of Biddle then dissing of Lowe. Anyways Lowe fits better in our pen next year.
Or another thought...
Recall when Biddle struck 6 cubs before leaving with arm trouble, this kid may get up and pitch better for bigger games, maybe Jerry is trying to use that.

Paulwny
09-06-2001, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Honestly I think you guys are over looking somthing here. Jerry doesn't care if we win the game. He knows the playoffs are lost for this season, despite what he say in public, thus you start a young pitcher to see what type mental attiude he brings to the table. So its more of a test of Biddle then dissing of Lowe. Anyways Lowe fits better in our pen next year.
Or another thought...
Recall when Biddle struck 6 cubs before leaving with arm trouble, this kid may get up and pitch better for bigger games, maybe Jerry is trying to use that.

If Biddle has a sore shoulder that's on the mend why are the sox pushing him?

FarWestChicago
09-06-2001, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny

If Biddle has a sore shoulder that's on the mend why are the sox pushing him?

Well, it certainly isn't to sell tickets as it is in Pedro's case.

Iwritecode
09-06-2001, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Or another thought...

I also recall Biddle giving up 6 runs to the Indians just this past weekend. That was a big game too...

Foulke You
09-06-2001, 12:32 PM
Recalling that game against the Flubs where Biddle looked like he was on his way to a complete game shutout of the "beloved Cub". I was at that game and Biddle was clocking out at 94-95mph on the Waterhouse radar gun in Left Field. You know the rest of the story. He had to leave in the 4th inning. I've never seen Biddle throw that hard before. He was juiced up for the crosstown game and I think he messed up his already inflamed shoulder which he was on medication for. He hasn't been as effective since that game. Taking a page from Parque and Wunsch, I think he's keeping quiet for fear of losing his spot on the team. I personally believe that Biddle is headed for offseason surgery.

voodoochile
09-06-2001, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Recalling that game against the Flubs where Biddle looked like he was on his way to a complete game shutout of the "beloved Cub". I was at that game and Biddle was clocking out at 94-95mph on the Waterhouse radar gun in Left Field. You know the rest of the story. He had to leave in the 4th inning. I've never seen Biddle throw that hard before. He was juiced up for the crosstown game and I think he messed up his already inflamed shoulder which he was on medication for. He hasn't been as effective since that game. Taking a page from Parque and Wunsch, I think he's keeping quiet for fear of losing his spot on the team. I personally believe that Biddle is headed for offseason surgery.

Wasn't there some stink about him having stopped taking his medicine right before that (a decision he made himself without consulting team doctors)?

Him being headed for surgery seems to be the concensus around here. Time will tell. Maybe he just doesn't trust his arm currently and is afraid to let it loose. Hopefully he can keep his one big inning allowed down to 3-4 runs and the Sox can do some damage...