PDA

View Full Version : Only 4 Monday home games

SouthSideHitman
02-03-2004, 04:45 PM
Looking at the new Sox schedule for games early in the season to attend, I noticed something odd - there are no Monday games until June 21 and only 4 overall! If memory serves, last year there were seven. This makes zero sense, the Sox consistently draw their best weekday crowds on mondays and that's when I would look to go, given my limited funds. Another great break for Sox fans.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Does anyone know if the Pepsi Half price Tuesday promo is running this season? It sort of sucks about the monday thing but I'm pretty sure the White Sox didn't have any control over the lack of Monday games.

Tekijawa
02-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I'm pretty sure the White Sox didn't have any control over the lack of Monday games.

Probably not, I'm pretty sure the Brewers and Oriles made up the Schedule this year for the Sox

And yes the pesi deal is stin in effect last I heard

Rex Hudler
02-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Does anyone know if the Pepsi Half price Tuesday promo is running this season? It sort of sucks about the monday thing but I'm pretty sure the White Sox didn't have any control over the lack of Monday games.

Mondays are traditionally the worst drawing day of the week, so MLB does indeed try and work travel days into Mondays, which makes sense because of Fri-Sun weekend series. Two and four game series make it so that not every Monday is not a travel day, but there is certainly a reason for it.

The Sox drew well on Mondays because that is when they had half price nights, which is the kind of promotion you put on your worst day.

mantis1212
02-03-2004, 05:03 PM

I see 13 Tuesday home games, I hope so!

bc2k
02-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212

What sucks about that is they're half priced day-of-game only. You cannot include them on your Sox-9 ticket plan at half price. Which means I'll just cut my losses and leave the bar of soap on the shower floor and stay away from that Cell. Pragg.

SouthSideHitman
02-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Mondays are traditionally the worst drawing day of the week, so MLB does indeed try and work travel days into Mondays, which makes sense because of Fri-Sun weekend series. Two and four game series make it so that not every Monday is not a travel day, but there is certainly a reason for it.

The Sox drew well on Mondays because that is when they had half price nights, which is the kind of promotion you put on your worst day.

I understand that MLB sets the schedules but I would think that the Sox could tell them "Gee, you know we do half price mondays and that draws a lot of fans so maybe if we could get a few more Monday games and few less Thursday afternoon games (there are four of those on weeks w/o monday games) that would really help us." I mean, why wouldn't MLB wan't to help the Sox boost their attendence?

Or does the conspiracy go that deep?

anewman35
02-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
I understand that MLB sets the schedules but I would think that the Sox could tell them "Gee, you know we do half price mondays and that draws a lot of fans so maybe if we could get a few more Monday games and few less Thursday afternoon games (there are four of those on weeks w/o monday games) that would really help us." I mean, why wouldn't MLB wan't to help the Sox boost their attendence?

If the Sox actually wanted more halfprice days, why not just make a few of the Wednesday or Thursday games halfprice? I don't know of any rule that says only Monday or Tuesday games can be cheap...

kempsted
02-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212

You always see 13 Tuesday home games. There are always 13 Tuesdays, 13 Wednesdays, 13 Fridays, 13 Saturdays and 13 Sundays. The only variables are Monday and Thursday. Monday and Thursday are the only off days for any MLB team.

chisox06
02-03-2004, 08:36 PM

Or you can just up payroll, put a competitive team on the field, then you wont have to worry about "special promotions" to put people in the seats. But hey, thats not gonna happen so bring on the 1/2 price nights.

ondafarm
02-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Looking at the new Sox schedule for games early in the season to attend, I noticed something odd - there are no Monday games until June 21 and only 4 overall! If memory serves, last year there were seven. This makes zero sense, the Sox consistently draw their best weekday crowds on mondays and that's when I would look to go, given my limited funds. Another great break for Sox fans.

What the Large Print Giveth (EVERY MONDAY GAME IS HALF-PRICE) the small print doth take away (only four such games.)

doctor30th
02-03-2004, 09:22 PM
So we lost 3 half priced mondays. How many Half priced tuesdays did we have last year compared to this year?

doublem23
02-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Probably not, I'm pretty sure the Brewers and Oriles made up the Schedule this year for the Sox

Um, or the MLB schedule-makers.

CHISOXFAN13
02-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by chisox06
Or you can just up payroll, put a competitive team on the field, then you wont have to worry about "special promotions" to put people in the seats. But hey, thats not gonna happen so bring on the 1/2 price nights.

Yeah, like when Sox fans came out in droves to support the 2000 team.

That team was pretty darn competitive.

doublem23
02-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Yeah, like when Sox fans came out in droves to support the 2000 team.

That team was pretty darn competitive.

What? The 2000 team had a 45.5% jump in attendance from 1999. And then last year, even after sucking for the first half of the year, the Sox nearly equalled the 2000 attendance (falling short by about 8,000). The key to drawing fans is a) sustained winning and b) having a front office that gives a damn.

CHISOXFAN13
02-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
What? The 2000 team had a 45.5% jump in attendance from 1999. And then last year, even after sucking for the first half of the year, the Sox nearly equalled the 2000 attendance (falling short by about 8,000). The key to drawing fans is a) sustained winning and b) having a front office that gives a damn.

I don't care what the increase was from 99 to 2000. The 1999 team was not very good, hence the natural increase when a team wins 95 ball games.

I'll never forget the 24,000 in attendance to welcome the team back from Minnesota after clinching or the other pathetic crowds throughout September. To me, that's not good.

Less than 2,000,000 fans for a 95-win team? Come on

voodoochile
02-04-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
I don't care what the increase was from 99 to 2000. The 1999 team was not very good, hence the natural increase when a team wins 95 ball games.

I'll never forget the 24,000 in attendance to welcome the team back from Minnesota after clinching or the other pathetic crowds throughout September. To me, that's not good.

Less than 2,000,000 fans for a 95-win team? Come on

Well, there were 8K season ticket holders that season, so really it isn't that bad. The Sox basically clinched the division before the AS break, so that led to less than enthusiastic crowds down the stretch. In June of that year they drew great, especially the sell out to welcome them back from the the great Cleveland/NY road trip.

Dig deepeer to see why what happened happened. Who can blame the fans for only having 8K season ticket holders after 1997-99 seasons.

SSN721
02-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Well still nice to see that there are 17 potential half price nights this year, I plan on going to all of them, unless the team completely tanks this year. I went to most last year but hated commuting into the city before the game, much easier now to hop on the el so I will hopefull be going to more like 25-30 games this year as opposed to the 10-15 I would more often go to. As long as there are still the half price tuesdays of course. :D:

skottyj242
02-04-2004, 11:27 AM
I love how you guys are complaining about lack of half price days, I have to pay full price no matter what. What I really want to know is why the hell is opening day on a Tuesday? And are Thursdays still dollar hot dogs?

ewokpelts
02-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Hey,

The Pepsi Half off nights are back. According to teh language in my schedule, it may even inlcude opening day. Yes, It's day of sales only, but if you get opening day tickets for 6 bucks...why not? I'm gunna try.
Gene

p.s. The Sox have opening day on a tuesday because teh cubs open the day before at home.

SouthSideHitman
02-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Chisox06 - a good team will always draw better than a bad one, obviously, but even given that the Sox draw better on Mondays. I was at the game against Boston in 2000 after they clinched and I was able to sneak into good lower deck seats because there were only, say 25,000 people there. Likewise I remember the Sox selling out a half-price Monday against KC, then seeing a slight drop in attendence on Tuesday and only about 22,000 showing up for the Wednesday getaway afternoon game. Finally, I was at the September 10 game against the Twins last year. The Sox had come into the four game series with the Twins tied for first and had taken the first two games with pretty good crowds (Monday and Tuesday) however, that Wednesday only about 22,000 showed up. All I'm saying is that tickets is expensive and Sox fans come out in greater numbers when they can plan on spending half as much.

SouthSideHitman
02-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Another thing to consider when viewing attendence this year is that the Sox have 15 or 18 games at home between April 13 and May 2. Not exactly the best baseball watching weather in Chicago.Why must the fates (and ownership) conspire against our poor Sox?

kempsted
02-04-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
So we lost 3 half priced mondays. How many Half priced tuesdays did we have last year compared to this year?
Please see my post above. 13 - every year. Tuesday is NEVER and off day so you always have the same number of Tuesdays. Monday and Thursday are the possible baseball off days.

anewman35
02-05-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by kempsted
Please see my post above. 13 - every year. Tuesday is NEVER and off day so you always have the same number of Tuesdays. Monday and Thursday are the possible baseball off days.

But isn't it possible that you don't always have the same number of Tuesdays at home? Maybe you have an extra weekend series, or something. And what if you're a team with a Monday opener and a Tuesday off day?

kempsted
02-05-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
But isn't it possible that you don't always have the same number of Tuesdays at home? Maybe you have an extra weekend series, or something. And what if you're a team with a Monday opener and a Tuesday off day?

Yeah your right. My Bad. You won't get it to go down as low as 4 though. But sure - you could have fewer Tuesday home games. Not sure what I was smoking. :D: