PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Coaching Staff

carusochop
02-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Is Guillen going to keep the same coaches as Manuel? I haven't heard. I think it would be wise of the Sox to bring in a couple of former managers as coaches to help Ozzie out. Larry Dierker would make a great pitching coach and I miss Doug Rader.....

Maximo
02-03-2004, 02:33 PM
I like your line of thinking, but former managers cost money.

See: Cito Gaston

skottyj242
02-03-2004, 02:36 PM
They are keeping everyone except for Bruce Kim and Man Soo Lee. Bruce Kime...see ya bye, no big loss. I really hate to see Man Soo go, he was awesome.

Iwritecode
02-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by skottyj242
They are keeping everyone except for Bruce Kim and Man Soo Lee. Bruce Kime...see ya bye, no big loss. I really hate to see Man Soo go, he was awesome.

According to KW at Friday night's seminar, Lee is still around...

Brian26
02-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
According to KW at Friday night's seminar, Lee is still around...

Yeah, he's washing cars in the players' lot before weekend games. :D:

SEALgep
02-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Man Soo Lee is coming back. Our coaching staff is fine the way it is. They are very intelligent baseball people and very capable of doing well. They also have a repour with the players. Cooper is great as is Navassek. Navassek has taking over the managerial role for Manuel when ejected. He knows the game and is one of the best at sign stealing. The core around Ozzie is very good, and now they'll be able to use what they know in a more aggressive style. It's going to be fun.

kittle42
02-03-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Man Soo Lee is coming back. Our coaching staff is fine the way it is. They are very intelligent baseball people and very capable of doing well. They also have a repour with the players. Cooper is great as is Navassek. Navassek has taking over the managerial role for Manuel when ejected. He knows the game and is one of the best at sign stealing. The core around Ozzie is very good, and now they'll be able to use what they know in a more aggressive style. It's going to be fun.

Is Navassek the Blackhawks' new young European defenseman?

whitesoxwilkes
02-03-2004, 03:24 PM
Why did Bruce Kimm get let go? In spite of his Chub affiliations, he seemed like he knew what he was doing out there.

SEALgep
02-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Is Navassek the Blackhawks' new young European defenseman?

LOL, I confused the name. Joe Nossek. Sorry, but he is the man.

Full Name: Joe Nossek
Title: Bench Coach

Bio:
Enters his 13th season as bench coach with the Sox...served as "Eye-in-the-Sky" during 1990 season and was responsible for aligning the White Sox defense...has filled in as interim manager on three occasions, including an eight-game stint (3-5) from 4/28-5/6/00 while Jerry Manuel served a suspension handed down by Major League Baseball...prior to rejoining Sox, was an advance scout for the Houston Astros from 1987-89...instructed Sox hitters in 1984 before moving to first-base coaching box in 1985...has 32 years of baseball experience as a player, minor-league manager and major-league coach...reputed to be a master at stealing signs...during only season as a minor-league manager, led Milwaukee's Class A affiliate at Danville to the 1972 Midwest League Championship...also had coaching stints with Milwaukee (1973-75), Minnesota (1976), Cleveland (1977-81) and Kansas City (1982-83).

Playing Career
Former All-American at Ohio University...broke into professional baseball in 1961 and debuted with the Minnesota Twins in 1964...his playing career covered six years and included one World Series with the Minnesota Twins in 1965...also played with Kansas City (1966- 67), Oakland (1969) and St. Louis (1969-70)...batted a career-high .261 (60-230) with Kansas City in 1966...completed his playing career in 1971 after appearing in 295 major-league games...primarily an outfielder, Nossek also played some third base.

SEALgep
02-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Why did Bruce Kimm get let go? In spite of his Chub affiliations, he seemed like he knew what he was doing out there.
I thought he did a very good job. He was aggressive and it paid off. However, Guillen needed to have at least one of his guys come in, and Kimm unforunately was the likely candidate. I wish he could have stayed, but I understand why it happened. Guillen will encourage aggressiveness, I just hope Cora has the same instincts. I think he'll be fine. Kimm did kind of get a raw deal though, but he'll get something, he's too good not to.

delben91
02-03-2004, 04:37 PM
I'm just glad that they kept Cooper on. I think he did a pretty solid job with the pitchers last season. I don't know how much influence he had on Loaiza's development or Buerhle's mid-season turn around, but outside the 5th starter, it was the first time in a while where I was more surprised by poor outings than I was surprised by solid ones.

Daver
02-03-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
LOL, I confused the name. Joe Nossek. Sorry, but he is the man.

Full Name: Joe Nossek
Title: Bench Coach

Bio:
Enters his 13th season as bench coach with the Sox...served as "Eye-in-the-Sky" during 1990 season and was responsible for aligning the White Sox defense...has filled in as interim manager on three occasions, including an eight-game stint (3-5) from 4/28-5/6/00 while Jerry Manuel served a suspension handed down by Major League Baseball...prior to rejoining Sox, was an advance scout for the Houston Astros from 1987-89...instructed Sox hitters in 1984 before moving to first-base coaching box in 1985...has 32 years of baseball experience as a player, minor-league manager and major-league coach...reputed to be a master at stealing signs...during only season as a minor-league manager, led Milwaukee's Class A affiliate at Danville to the 1972 Midwest League Championship...also had coaching stints with Milwaukee (1973-75), Minnesota (1976), Cleveland (1977-81) and Kansas City (1982-83).

Playing Career
Former All-American at Ohio University...broke into professional baseball in 1961 and debuted with the Minnesota Twins in 1964...his playing career covered six years and included one World Series with the Minnesota Twins in 1965...also played with Kansas City (1966- 67), Oakland (1969) and St. Louis (1969-70)...batted a career-high .261 (60-230) with Kansas City in 1966...completed his playing career in 1971 after appearing in 295 major-league games...primarily an outfielder, Nossek also played some third base.

You left out the fact that he is also Jerry Reinsdorf's spy in the clubhouse.

RichFitztightly
02-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Daver
You left out the fact that he is also Jerry Reinsdorf's spy in the clubhouse.

I think everybody in the clubhouse is a Jerry/K-Dub guy now. What will he have to spy on?

SEALgep
02-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
I think everybody in the clubhouse is a Jerry/K-Dub guy now. What will he have to spy on?
He's going to spy on Guillen. Guillen tends to be sly and no one really knows what he's thinking. Nossek will keep JR posted on what's really going on. Lol.