PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mauer

SoxxoS
02-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Here is the Baseball America evaluation (no subscription necess.) (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/03top10s/twins.html)

So, what does everyone think of this guy? It looks as he is about as "can't miss" as one can get. The only thing that scares me is the homers, he has only 9 in his career. The scouts say he can hit 35-40 eventually, but I find that hard to believe. He hit 1 every 100 at bats last year...

The extremely speedy Sox are going to have to take it down a notch when playing Mauer...He has an "80" score out of "80" on his arm strength (he declined a scholarship to play QB for FSU).

This kid looks like he is going to be unbelieveable. Hopefully as unbelieveable as Borchard was supposed to be.

Anyone seen him in person and can comment on him?

ma-gaga
02-03-2004, 02:03 PM
This is about as close as I've seen him, Here! (http://www.mauersquickswing.com/home.html)

:)

Sweet swing.

GW83
02-03-2004, 03:30 PM
He is 19-20 years old. Playing in AA. Of course his power numbers aren't going to come out. But he has a nice swing and is a big guy. He will hit for a lot of power.

He was the first player picked in 2001. So of course the Sox never had a shot at him.

JB hasn't played in more than 50 games. You're already calling him a bust?

SoxxoS
02-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by GW83

50 games? I think he's played in the minors for, what...3 years now? I think he's played about 350 games.

Yes, he is a bust until he proves otherwise. It was the other way around when he was putting up numbers, but he was completely overmatched this year at all levels.

If he was hurt he should have been sitting...

I also don't understand how you can say Mauer will hit for a lot of power just because he is a big guy with a sweet swing. The guy hit a homer every 100 at bats in the minors...

fuzzy_patters
02-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
50 games? I think he's played in the minors for, what...3 years now? I think he's played about 350 games.

Yes, he is a bust until he proves otherwise. It was the other way around when he was putting up numbers, but he was completely overmatched this year at all levels.

I also don't understand how you can say Mauer will hit for a lot of power just because he is a big guy with a sweet swing. The guy hit a homer every 100 at bats in the minors...

Agreed, Paul Molitor and Tony Gwinn were both big guys with nice swings but neither were power hitters.

GW83
02-03-2004, 03:49 PM

I assumed people would understand the 50 games meant MAJOR league games. But I assumed people were smart. Wrong assumption.

pudge
02-03-2004, 03:51 PM
Think of it this way, we could be facing Prior for the next 10 years if the Twins had any money. Mauer does not concern me.

GW83
02-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Agreed, Paul Molitor and Tony Gwinn were both big guys with nice swings but neither were power hitters.

Molitor and Gwynn were not big guys compared to Mauer. If you look at the minor league stats most guys don't show their true power potential in the minors. Power is the last thing that usually develops. Sure there's a chance that Mauer could develop into a no power bust like Kark.

MRKARNO
02-03-2004, 03:53 PM
I assumed people would understand the 50 games meant MAJOR league games. But I assumed people were smart. Wrong assumption.

Mauer hasn't played a single major league game. So it would be difficult to understand that you were referring to major league games when he has only played in the minors

GW83
02-03-2004, 03:59 PM
This is what I posted:

That was JB as in JOE Borchard. I guess you couldn't read my typing?

Please read carefully before posting a response.

Daver
02-03-2004, 04:16 PM

So you would rather imply that the rest of the members here are stupid?

doctor30th
02-03-2004, 04:27 PM

Please read carefully before posting a response.

Well JB hasn't had many GS since 01 but I would definitely call him a slub.

And JB hasn't even played a game in the big leagues in recent years.

Hey don't think people are mind readers, if you put intials people could think your talking about James Baldwin (which I am above). So maybe you should Type carefully before you post. And try not to get crappy with people it's not cool.

SEALgep
02-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Think of it this way, we could be facing Prior for the next 10 years if the Twins had any money. Mauer does not concern me. Granted he's going to be a very good player most likely. However, they lost a good one in AJ. Mauer may throw out more guys and hit for a slightly higher average (AJ hit .312), but AJ called a superior game against the Sox. This guy will probably be way better than AJ throughout his career, but it's not like they had a catcher controversy and filled one of their holes. They upgraded, but I'm not so certain they upgraded for this year as much as they did for the long term.

SoxxoS
02-03-2004, 05:47 PM

This is obviously a reply to me, so you are calling me stupid...

What you are saying is that minor league games, in fact, don't count in judging a prospect. I think every person in here will agree with me by saying that how a prospect performs in the minor leagues is a direct correlation (big word, I know) to how they will perform in the majors. In other words, a guy with 120-15 K-BB ratio (K means "strikeouts" and BB means "Base on balls" also known as a "walk") in the minors probably means he isn't going to be a good OBP (on base percentage) guy in the majors. Crazy, I know.

Joe Borchard has probably played in 350 minor league games in his career. Yes, games. They actually play them in the minor leagues. Believe it or not,a promotion to the big leagues depends on how a player did in the minor leagues.

Should I slow down for you? I can explain it in one more way if you want.

GW83
02-03-2004, 06:55 PM
"Believe it or not,a promotion to the big leagues depends on how a player did in the minor leagues."

Man thanks for the breaking news along with the sky being blue, the earth being round.

Then I guess the stats they put up in the minors will translate into the same production in the major. Just brillant. Maybe you can get a job from KW.

SoxxoS
02-03-2004, 07:08 PM
"Believe it or not,a promotion to the big leagues depends on how a player did in the minor leagues."

Man thanks for the breaking news along with the sky being blue, the earth being round.

Then I guess the stats they put up in the minors will translate into the same production in the major. Just brillant. Maybe you can get a job from KW.

Are you being serious? If you are going to call someone else "brillant" please spell it right. I'll let you look it up, you probably have some spelling for homework tonight.

Sorry to make my statement seem so obvious, I had to stoop down to your level of education.

And I never said that the minors will translate into the same production in the majors...I said it's an INDICATOR as to how good/what the negatives or positives of a player will be. Please don't put words in my mouth.

You want to throw out all those minor league games Borchard played because they weren't major league games...which is so off I don't even know why I am bothering with this thread.

lowesox
02-03-2004, 07:15 PM

Wow, I've noticed a lot of personal attacks on this site lately. Usually (as is the case here) they replace intelligent arguments. Has anybody else noticed this growing trend? Maybe WSI has had a rash of 11 year olds register recently.

GW83 - I notice you've posted 33 times here and have been a member for less than a month, so I'll pass some information along to you - you're insulting somebody who knows a whole lot more about this team than you do.

Daver
02-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by lowesox

GW83 - I notice you've posted 33 times here and have been a member for less than a month, so I'll pass some information along to you - you're insulting somebody who knows a whole lot more about this team than you do.

At the rate he is going he won't be around to be insulted by our collective ignorance on all things baseball related much longer.

leftbehindbuck
02-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Hey guys....I went to college up in MN (Bethel College) the kids I am friends with many of them played against Mauer all the way through highschool. I have had the privlidge to see this guy play and let me tell you he can hit, run the bases, and is great definsely. He will hit for average and power. He is the real deal and I just wanted to let you all know that. You might not like him, but you will respect the way he plays ball. :gulp:

gosox41
02-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Here is the Baseball America evaluation (no subscription necess.) (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/03top10s/twins.html)

So, what does everyone think of this guy? It looks as he is about as "can't miss" as one can get. The only thing that scares me is the homers, he has only 9 in his career. The scouts say he can hit 35-40 eventually, but I find that hard to believe. He hit 1 every 100 at bats last year...

The extremely speedy Sox are going to have to take it down a notch when playing Mauer...He has an "80" score out of "80" on his arm strength (he declined a scholarship to play QB for FSU).

This kid looks like he is going to be unbelieveable. Hopefully as unbelieveable as Borchard was supposed to be.

Anyone seen him in person and can comment on him?

I'm very high on Mauer. That's why I don't think the Twins will suffer much from losing AJ. The Twins may be as good as last year, but I think they're still good for 87-88 wins.

Bob

GW83
02-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Daver
At the rate he is going he won't be around to be insulted by our collective ignorance on all things baseball related much longer.

VC Edit: Well, that wasn't nice. Oh well. Good-Bye. :D:

LittleBears Suck
02-04-2004, 05:54 AM
And, he clearly has some class to turn down a scholarship to play for Bobby and the criminals.