PDA

View Full Version : Mariotti Places Ordonez Worth @ $11-12M Per Year

joecrede
02-03-2004, 12:10 PM
Just heard Jay say the Sox should extend Ordonez @ something like 5y/$55M. Fast forward to this offseason, the Sox offer Ordonez 3-4y/$45-50M, Jay will rail against how cheap the Reinsdorf is.

Randar68
02-03-2004, 12:14 PM
agree with one thing...

After seeing Tejada and Vlad sign their deals, no way is Maggs going to get more than 14 million average per season.

If the Sox could offer him an extension along the lines of 12 per year for 4 years, I think that would be more than fair. I don't know if he'd take it, but I couldn't blame ownership if they tried along those lines...

IlliniSox
02-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Tejada and Vlad recieved offers for more than just 4 years. Job Security was what made Bartolo walk. Give Maggs the 5 years...

Rex Hudler
02-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by IlliniSox
Tejada and Vlad recieved offers for more than just 4 years. Job Security was what made Bartolo walk. Give Maggs the 5 years...

I'm just not a big fan of giving anyone more than 3 years. Especially with the uncertainty of the market. Will $12 million a year three or four years from not be a bargain or Konerko-like?

Would Sox fans be happy in 3 years if Maggs hits .285 with 30 HR 98 RBI, plays decent defense and grounds into 20+ DP's?

He may be better than that, but if not, how would that kind of contract be viewed in 3 years? in 4? in 5?

Color me conservative, but I would limit any contract to 3 years. Hell, I would be all for non-guaranteed contracts so the fire under these guys asses stayed lit, but hey, that's just me. LOL

joecrede
02-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
agree with one thing...

After seeing Tejada and Vlad sign their deals, no way is Maggs going to get more than 14 million average per season.

If the Sox could offer him an extension along the lines of 12 per year for 4 years, I think that would be more than fair. I don't know if he'd take it, but I couldn't blame ownership if they tried along those lines...

I agree 4y/$48M would be fair.

In my haste to document Mariotti's thoughts on Ordonez' worth, I failed to mention that he said he got a call from Ordonez agent a few weeks ago and the agent told Mariotti that Ordonez first choice is to remain with the Sox.

SEALgep
02-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

In my haste to document Mariotti's thoughts on Ordonez' worth, I failed to mention that he said he got a call from Ordonez agent a few weeks ago and the agent told Mariotti that Ordonez first choice is to remain with the Sox.

I think he's going to like Guillen and the effort he's going to demand. The players are going to play hard and Maggs is going to be impressed and want to stay part of it. The fans will continue to support him, and if we make the playoffs, I don't think he goes anywhere. I agree with the 4 year/48 million. I have no quarrel with KW or JR if he walks from that.

Deadguy
02-03-2004, 12:40 PM
Just heard Jay say the Sox should extend Ordonez @ something like 5y/$55M. Fast forward to this offseason, the Sox offer Ordonez 3-4y/$45-50M, Jay will rail against how cheap the Reinsdorf is.

Money may not be an issue here, as Magglio has made it all but clear to the Sox that he doesn't want to be here in 2005. Supposedly, he doesn't even want the Sox to offer him a contract extension.

It's good that Magglio is at least being up front with the Sox about his intentions with respects to the future. What we need to do now is concentrate on the pros and cons to keeping Magglio for a year and letting him go via FA, or trading him now, when his trade value is as high as its going to get from now till the end of the year, while posssibly jeopardizing our chances to win the division in 2004.

My choice would be to keep him for 2004, and then let him go via FA. We have to capitalize on how weak the division is at this point, as we may not have opportunities like this in the future.

Randar68
02-03-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I think he's going to like Guillen and the effort he's going to demand. The players are going to play hard and Maggs is going to be impressed and want to stay part of it. The fans will continue to support him, and if we make the playoffs, I don't think he goes anywhere. I agree with the 4 year/48 million. I have no quarrel with KW or JR if he walks from that.

OR, he's going to hate the kind of nuclear clubhouse atmosphere that Ozzie's in-your-face style brings when combined with the attitudes of today's players.

None of us know how this is going to go down, and speculating on something that's at least as likely not to happen as it is (great clubhouse, lighting fires as opposed to lighting fires and pissing people off and nobody wanting to play for the guy) is pretty unreasonable until we see how things shake out at least in Spring Training if not the first couple months of the year.

At this point, if Maggs is dead set on testing the market, the Sox won't get much in trade value. They might as well take their chances and try to sign him after the season, and if it doesn't work out, get a couple of high draft picks. The market isn't the same, as seen by this years' signings...

DrCrawdad
02-03-2004, 12:53 PM

Funny. The Sox were the first choice of Colon & Alomar too.

SEALgep
02-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
OR, he's going to hate the kind of nuclear clubhouse atmosphere that Ozzie's in-your-face style brings when combined with the attitudes of today's players.

None of us know how this is going to go down, and speculating on something that's at least as likely not to happen as it is (great clubhouse, lighting fires as opposed to lighting fires and pissing people off and nobody wanting to play for the guy) is pretty unreasonable until we see how things shake out at least in Spring Training if not the first couple months of the year.

At this point, if Maggs is dead set on testing the market, the Sox won't get much in trade value. They might as well take their chances and try to sign him after the season, and if it doesn't work out, get a couple of high draft picks. The market isn't the same, as seen by this years' signings...

But your comment is a speculation in itself. To say we can't speculate that because you think it isn't likely is the exact contrast to my point, which is fine, but it's speculation. I feel it is likely and I assume to remain positive of the situation until something proves otherwise.

mdep524
02-03-2004, 01:00 PM
I was listening to Mariotti this morning too, and he was hounding the Sox about not making an effort to keep Maggs at all. The he goes and says they should offer him a $11 mil/year extention. Give me a break!! As if any player would take a $3 mil/yr paycut to sign an extention during the season! No way. It's true the market isn't good right now, but no agent in his right mind would sign a deal like that in the middle of the season.

For all we know the Sox have already offered him more money than that and Maggs has turned it down. He wants to be a free agent, plain and simple- I don't think it has anything to do with the Sox. How many All Star quality veterans are still with their original teams? Not too many.

joecrede
02-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
I was listening to Mariotti this morning too, and he was hounding the Sox about not making an effort to keep Maggs at all. The he goes and says they should offer him a $11 mil/year extention. Give me a break!! As if any player would take a $3 mil/yr paycut to sign an extention during the season! No way. It's true the market isn't good right now, but no agent in his right mind would sign a deal like that in the middle of the season.

For all we know the Sox have already offered him more money than that and Maggs has turned it down. He wants to be a free agent, plain and simple- I don't think it has anything to do with the Sox. How many All Star quality veterans are still with their original teams? Not too many.

Yeah, great show by Mariotti this morning, really did his homework concerning Ordonez. . He also addressed Hawk criticising him by saying Hawk is part of the media and shouldn't be a shill for the organization. Of course Hawk is employed by the White Sox ...

Jay took his usual shots at the Cell, saying Reinsdorf should have used the $68M from US Cellular to help fund a new downtown park instead of being "stuck on the south side". Ugh.

34 Inch Stick
02-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Sheffield signed for a little over 12 million a year. Vlad signed for 14 million a year. The market is set and should be preety obvious to both sides. The first hurdle will be getting him to understand that he will be taking a small paycut. After that, it is just a matter of whether he likes Chicago.

mdep524
02-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Jay took his usual shots at the Cell, saying Reinsdorf should have used the $68M from US Cellular to help fund a new downtown park instead of being "stuck on the south side". Ugh.

Yeah, that was ridiculous too. Mariotti really has no idea what he's talking about sometimes.

Frater Perdurabo
02-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
Yeah, that was ridiculous too. Mariotti really has no idea what he's talking about sometimes.

Mariotti is nothing more than a windsock. Always has been, always shall be.

RichFitztightly
02-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Mariotti is nothing more than a windsock. Always has been, always shall be.

Oh man... never compare Moronatti to this site's logo again. He's an insult to actual wind-socks everywhere.

:moron

"And another thing... I don't understand the purpose of windsocks. All I have to do is pull my head out of my ass and which ever side is cold is the direction the wind is coming from!!!"

StillMissOzzie
02-03-2004, 06:35 PM
I disagree with the previous posters who said that Maggs has made it obvious that he didn't want to be here after 2004. My understanding is that he wants to test the free agent waters, which is NOT the same thing in my book. IMHO, he at least wants a full view of his value in the FA market as of the end of 2004, and if the Sox want to meet that market, he'd be willing to stay.

I think that Maggs and his agent will have to realize that the current market is NOT the same one that got him the $14M he'll make for 2004. I also doubt that the Sox would make him any offer that would go longer than the current Basic Agreement that's now in effect. [ Daver, when does this one expire? ] That being said, I think a 3/$40M offer would be in line.

SMO
:gulp:

Daver
02-03-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
I also doubt that the Sox would make him any offer that would go longer than the current Basic Agreement that's now in effect. [ Daver, when does this one expire? ] That being said, I think a 3/$40M offer would be in line.

voodoochile
02-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Daver

You mean just coincidently when every single big money contract the Sox have will expire? Stunning...

How can anyone defend this ownership group anymore. Everywhere you turn there is more and more evidence that the sole thing they care about is getting rich. Just do it already, JR. Heck, hold on to the parking lots so you can build something on them and then quietly, quickly and with no further ado...

:selljerry

hftrex
02-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Just Mariotti being Mariotti. Nothing new here.

ondafarm
02-03-2004, 09:47 PM

Ordonez places Mariotti worth @ $11-12 per year.

JC456
02-04-2004, 01:01 AM
I believe the reason there are no longer long term contracts with the Sox is due to issues seen with Frank and in the past on the Basketball side with Scottie Pippen. Long term deals can be as bad for the player as the organization. Maybe the players value goes up in the later years in the contract and is locked on a lesser market share, and then thre demand to have the contract reworked. Pitting player against fans or fans against management. There is no win there.

Look at A-Rod, he is stuck and he knows it. Why? Long term deal with a bad team and now he can't escape because of the player union rules.

I agree with one other post, 3 years and that's it.