PDA

View Full Version : Rock On, Sam Smith....

pudge
02-03-2004, 01:05 AM
WOW, I've never been a huge Sam Smith fan, he always seems to propose wacky trades for the Bulls, but he felt the need to expose himself as a Sox fan and respond to the insane amount of negativity that has been unleashed lately:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040202soxsmithview,1,2841459.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Does anyone know how to email him? I could not find any email contacts on the website.

dpbyron
02-03-2004, 01:07 AM
Interesting article by the Cubune's basketball expert and closet Sox fan... He defends the lack of moves this offseason.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040202soxsmithview,1,2841459.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

minastirith67
02-03-2004, 01:08 AM
For once I can agree with Sam Smith. Especially when he's not making predictions out of his ass. Give the Sox a chance...we might all be surprised.

dpbyron
02-03-2004, 01:10 AM
SaSmith@tribune.com

mdep524
02-03-2004, 01:34 AM
What a refreshing change of pace article for Smith, the Cubune and the media in general. I liked it.

jeremyb1
02-03-2004, 02:02 AM
I liked the idea behind the article but this was yet more shoddy journalism. The article incorrectly states we offered Alomar arbitration and that we signed Everett last season.

pudge
02-03-2004, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I liked the idea behind the article but this was yet more shoddy journalism. The article incorrectly states we offered Alomar arbitration and that we signed Everett last season.

Agreed, and Smith always seems to reach a little bit, like when he compares Willie Harris to Esteban Loaiza, and says the White Flag trade led to the 2000 title, which is pretty bogus since Foulke was the only member.

Shoddy I agree, but I'm just so thrilled to see him argue in a positive direction. Too bad he couldn't have cleaned up some of his facts.

GW83
02-03-2004, 05:12 AM
Smith is an idiot. He's got no clue.

He says:

"build a stadium in the suburbs, where most of the fans now live."

Considering all the new stadiums built in the 90's almost all have been DOWNTOWN. Arlington is the only one I can think of that was built in the suburbs.

The city of Chicago has been too stubborn and stupid to make a stadium the centerpiece of a new downtown.

MarqSox
02-03-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by GW83
Smith is an idiot. He's got no clue.

He says:

"build a stadium in the suburbs, where most of the fans now live."

Considering all the new stadiums built in the 90's almost all have been DOWNTOWN. Arlington is the only one I can think of that was built in the suburbs.

The city of Chicago has been too stubborn and stupid to make a stadium the centerpiece of a new downtown.
If the stadium had been built in Addison like it should have been (and almost was), the Sox attendance situation would be much better.

MarqSox
02-03-2004, 07:24 AM
The best line from Smith's column:
Second teams in major markets invariably suffer and spend less. The New Jersey Nets tried, won two Eastern Conference titles but didn't draw, lost about $20 million a year and had to be sold. And now they'll be moved. If the Sox were sold, there's no guarantee they wouldn't be moved. Sometimes you'd better watch out what you wish for.
We all agree that Reinsy sucks as an owner. But I tell you what ... if the Sox ever actually go on the open market, my heart's gonna skip a beat out of fear of a move. Unlike the Brewers in Milwaukee, the Sox are not legally bound to Chicago. I know it's harder to move a baseball team than it is to move another sports team, but it can be done. And if I'm a potential owner, Indianapolis looks pretty inticing.

Hangar18
02-03-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox

We all agree that Reinsy sucks as an owner. But I tell you what ... if the Sox ever actually go on the open market, my heart's gonna skip a beat out of fear of a move. Unlike the Brewers in Milwaukee, the Sox are not legally bound to Chicago. I know it's harder to move a baseball team than it is to move another sports team, but it can be done. And if I'm a potential owner, Indianapolis looks pretty inticing.

the only thing we could hope for in that case, is that MLB makes the Sox Leave the name behind, and become the AL Central Indy Mustangs or something bs like that. We could get a real owner here, and have the name White Sox Back. Jerry Reinsdorf doesnt deserve to own that name

ewokpelts
02-03-2004, 09:35 AM

As part of the us cellular deal, the sox extended thier lease with ISFA. They are now in the middle of a 35 year contract. I dont think they'll go anywhere. They are in the 3rd largest market. ANY MOVE WILL BE A DOWNGRADE in ad/sponsorships/revenue. While the flubs may "dominate" chicago's attention, they dont have sponsorships from every major corporation. In fact, both teams share a number of sponsors, namely lasalle bank.
Gene

KingXerxes
02-03-2004, 09:56 AM
I totally agree with Sam Smith from the perspective that the White Sox will be competitive in 2004. I have constantly said that there is no way to be able to accurately predict the outcome of a given season because so much depends on injuries, luck and career years - I see no reason to think the White Sox won't be in the thick of any race, but I also believe that if they have a run of bad luck or injuries they will probably find themselves unable to overcome it due to having a very thin roster.

I totally disagree with the tone of his article however in that it seems to imply that ownership is doing a good job - that they are not.

CubKilla
02-03-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
I see no reason to think the White Sox won't be in the thick of any race

How would they fare, hypothetically, in the AL East or West? They'd be in the thick of bottom-feeders trying not to finish last.

KingXerxes
02-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
How would they fare, hypothetically, in the AL East or West? They'd be in the thick of bottom-feeders trying not to finish last.

I don't know about that. The White Sox have always held their own against the East. Would they win 110 games? - probably not, but they would be in the race certainly. Hell if they could have played the Yankees and Red Sox instead of Minnesota and Detroit last year they probably would have won the division. To be honest with you, over the next two or three years, I think the AL Central is going to be a very good division - that's what scares me about the lack of depth within the White Sox organization. I think Cleveland is going to be much improved this year, as will Kansas City. Detroit will certainly be better, but I don't suspect they'll threaten for the division.

MarqSox
02-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Well, until the Sox are realigned into the AL East or West, it's sort of a moot question, no? I realize that you still gotta beat those teams in the playoffs, but we all know that once you make the postseason, anything can happen. I mean, the defending World Champions didn't even win their own division.

The Sox are in a position to make the playoffs by virtue of geography. I'd rather make the playoffs because we have a juggernaut, but if geography gets us in, I'll take it.

Frater Perdurabo
02-03-2004, 10:47 AM
Wow. The fact that he speaks out on the Sox now, after years (?) of silence (covering hoops), speaks volumes. Talk about the anti-Mariotti.

I find myself in agreement with most of what he writes.

Frater Perdurabo
02-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Well, until the Sox are realigned into the AL East or West, it's sort of a moot question, no? I realize that you still gotta beat those teams in the playoffs, but we all know that once you make the postseason, anything can happen. I mean, the defending World Champions didn't even win their own division.

The Sox are in a position to make the playoffs by virtue of geography. I'd rather make the playoffs because we have a juggernaut, but if geography gets us in, I'll take it.

I agree, Marq, but I would like to be a juggernaut in a weak division. :)

Lip Man 1
02-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Sam also seemed to diminish the fact that the Sox have the 5th or 6th largest (depending on what figures you use) Radio / TV deal in baseball. Not exactly Pittsburgh-like is it?

The only ones ahead of them (again depending on what figures you use) are the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs.

Lip

Dan H
02-03-2004, 01:57 PM
I wasn't impressed with the Sam Smith column in the least. It was the usual Tribune Sox fan bashing. While he can make a strong case for not re-signing certain players, you have to have replacements for people you don't keep. Also stating that the White Flag Trade led to a division title was absurd.

We fans are always negative when we criticize the team. Even fans who brave sub-zero weather to go to the Sox Fest, the same fans that go to most of the games. That's right. Just pay your money and shut up while the team fails to go the World Series. Again.

dickallen15
02-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Something you may find interesting...... Sam Smith may be a little biased towards the White Sox and especially Reinsdorf. I went to see Jackie Mason at Zanies last Spring, and guess who walks in? Jerry Reinsdorf, and he's hanging out with Sam Smith. That said, I think Sam had some valid points.

Lip Man 1
02-03-2004, 08:22 PM
For What It's Worth:

“I discovered managing partner Jerry Reinsdorf to be one of the most misunderstood men I’ve ever known, a guy whose heart and head were constantly at odds, with his heart winning more often than anyone would like to admit.” – Sam Smith. From the book The Jordan Rules. Pg. 332.

“And I still consider Jerry Reinsdorf special. Of course so does baseball negotiator Donald Fehr, though in a different way. Like bosses everywhere, it not easy to like owners, nor are they popular. But I always found Reinsdorf’s perspective particularly refreshing and his interest in keeping his teams competitive serious. He was always approachable and more humble than one would expect.” – Sam Smith. From the book Second Coming. Pg. X- XI.

Lip

WinningUgly!
02-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Agreed, and Smith always seems to reach a little bit, like when he compares Willie Harris to Esteban Loaiza, and says the White Flag trade led to the 2000 title, which is pretty bogus since Foulke was the only member.

Don't forget Howry & Barcelo both came to the Sox in the "White Flag Trade". Both made significant bullpen contributions during the 2000 season.

pudge
02-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
For What It's Worth:

“I discovered managing partner Jerry Reinsdorf to be one of the most misunderstood men I’ve ever known, a guy whose heart and head were constantly at odds, with his heart winning more often than anyone would like to admit.” – Sam Smith. From the book The Jordan Rules. Pg. 332.

“And I still consider Jerry Reinsdorf special. Of course so does baseball negotiator Donald Fehr, though in a different way. Like bosses everywhere, it not easy to like owners, nor are they popular. But I always found Reinsdorf’s perspective particularly refreshing and his interest in keeping his teams competitive serious. He was always approachable and more humble than one would expect.” – Sam Smith. From the book Second Coming. Pg. X- XI.

Lip

Lip, since you're tied in with the media, do you have any contacts that know Reinsdorf personally and find him to be an evil guy?

Lip Man 1
02-04-2004, 12:31 PM
The folks that I have had conversations with feel that Reinsdorf is a very shrewd bottom line businessman. Some of them had had some incidents with him that left them angry and embarassed other have had some nice get togethers with him.

He's just like any other individual prone to the same human frailties that take place to everyone. I don't think anyone sees him as 'evil,' because he's donated millions of dollars to good causes.

However everyone that I have spoken with in the media come to the same conclusion -- that he is the ultimate reason and cause for most (if not every single one) of the Sox problems. They feel his hard headedness and vindictive nature don't allow him to compromise on important issues which alienate relationships and strain credibility. There are times in business when it's not in the best interest to always 'win,' and Reinsdorf hasn't learned that philosophy. He feels he has to win all the time, where money is concerned, according to them, regardless of the consequences.

Lip