PDA

View Full Version : Sox Fantasy Camp / Reinsdorf

Lip Man 1
02-02-2004, 05:48 PM
It seems the Sox brass didn't just have a difficult time at SoxFest.

I was talking to Ed Herrmann today, (working on a soon to be released story on WSI) and he told me he just got back a few weeks ago from the annual White Sox Fantasy Camp in Tucson.

Ed said that Jerry Reinsdorf who lives in Phoenix showed up (he does every year for a few days to meet the participants) and that a number of the 'campers' lit into him. Herrmann said about 90 of the people there are long time season ticket holders (many over ten years) and they "gave it" to Reinsdorf over the Sox never spending any money and that they are tired of hearing the Sox claim they are a 'small market' team. Ed said it was pretty bad.

Ed and I are going to talk again Wednesday on what went on at the camp, what former players were there and some of the 'tall tales' that were being told. (Ed said Bill Melton had some great stories about Dick Allen) Ed's also going to be going up to Anaheim next week to meet with new Angels owner Artie Marino. They are going to be starting some projects involving former Angel players. Ed lives in San Diego and played for the Angels after his Sox days.

Lip

soxnut
02-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
It seems the Sox brass didn't just have a difficult time at SoxFest.

Ed said that Jerry Reinsdorf who lives in Phoenix showed up (he does every year for a few days to meet the participants) and that a number of the 'campers' lit into him. Herrmann said about 90 of the people there are long time season ticket holders (many over ten years) and they "gave it" to Reinsdorf over the Sox never spending any money and that they are tired of hearing the Sox claim they are a 'small market' team. Ed said it was pretty bad.
Lip

Ok. they "gave it" to him. What was JR's response? :?:

Lip Man 1
02-02-2004, 06:15 PM
I haven't gotten into that with Ed yet but we will. I'd venture to say he stood there and took it, these are season ticket holders who spend a lot of money on the Sox, what's he going to do...tell them to "shut up?"

LOL

Lip

guillen4life13
02-02-2004, 06:18 PM
That's awesome!

CubKilla
02-02-2004, 11:40 PM
I haven't gotten into that with Ed yet but we will. I'd venture to say he stood there and took it, these are season ticket holders who spend a lot of money on the Sox, what's he going to do...tell them to "shut up?"

LOL

Lip

No teal needed with regards to JR telling us to, "SHUT UP!" :D:

Lip Man 1
02-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Just a follow up to our discussion yesterday (and this also will be part of the story at WSI) I got a second source who confrmed for me what Ed Herrmann told me about fans at the recent fantasy camp and Jerry Reinsdorf.

My source told me he recently spoke with Tony Inzerillo who for many years was the "official" White Sox photographer. Tony now is a free lance photo journalist working primarily for one of the baseball card companies but who also shoots pictures at the Sox Fantasy Camp.

Tony told my source that the fans "ripped" Jerry Reinsdorf. Tony told my source that "the fans there were not shy or apprehensive about voicing their displeasure with the way the Sox are doing business."

The comments came at a 'seminar' that Jerry holds with the campers every year. When I asked my source if Tony told him how Jerry reacted to all this he said Tony told him, "Reinsdorf doesn't believe in defending himself, Jerry believes he should be on the offensive when these things happen." When I asked if that meant Jerry raised his voice, starting shouting or got in people's faces the reply was, "His listens and then like a lawyer in a court room starts picking apart every item or answering the question by talking about some other factor."

Lip

34 Inch Stick
02-03-2004, 04:21 PM
As a transactional and tax attorney Renisdorf probably never set foot in a courtroom.

Lip Man 1
02-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Part of Steve Rosenbloom's column on Wednesday:

"Want to hear what Chairman Reinsdorf thinks about the White Sox? Looks like you have to fork over more than whatever it cost to attend SoxFest. Looks like it costs $2,600-the rate for the Sox fantasy camp in Tucson.

Halfway through the weeklong fantasy camp that ended Jan. 25, the Chairman took questions from the 100-plus campers, and the 30-minute session apparently was just as intense as Friday's SoxFest discussion, where GM Ken Williams played pepper with fans.

In fact things got so intense that it was reported Bill Melton tried to step in, but to his credit, the Chairman let everybody have a say, provided answers, and even stuck around after to take more questions and more heat.

Among the things that Sox fans might've heard from the Chairman, according to campers I talked to: The Sox are a small-market team, no matter the size of the greater Chicagoland market. One camper said the Chairman claimed traffic is the No. 1 issue in getting fans to the park. Another camper didn't recall it that way. But anyone who thinks traffic is the top issue ought to take another look at that rotation. Either way, the Sox are starting weeknight games at 8 p.m. to give their fan base in the north and western suburbs an easier trip. The Chairman won't give a pitcher a long-term deal. No matter that pitching is the most important part of baseball. Even more than traffic. The Chairman joked that he suspected a lot of campers in that room would be happier if the Cubs missed the playoffs than if the Sox made it. The Chairman believes this year's Sox team is just as competitive as last year's. You know, the team that was just as unprepared to finish the season as it was to start it."

Uncle Jerry just doesn't get it and sadly never will until the day he dies.

Lip

CubKilla
02-04-2004, 12:56 PM
Either way, the Sox are starting weeknight games at 8 p.m. to give their fan base in the north and western suburbs an easier trip.

That's another mention of 8 PM start times for weekday games.

KingXerxes
02-04-2004, 03:39 PM
The Chairman joked that he suspected a lot of campers in that room would be happier if the Cubs missed the playoffs than if the Sox made it.
Lip

Sigh.

anewman35
02-04-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
That's another mention of 8 PM start times for weekday games.

It's not "another mention", it's where the original mention came from in the first place.

Hullett_Fan
02-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
The Chairman joked that he suspected a lot of campers in that room would be happier if the Cubs missed the playoffs than if the Sox made it.

Sigh.

That part of the article got my attention as well. My patience is wearing thin with JR's operation. Actually I may be about done with rooting for this team unfortunately. I did not renew my season tickets and planned on attending 10 or so games this year. That number is falling fast.

Nothing short of a World Championship in the next 5 years will save this pathetic organization. There's so much else out there (familty, hobbies, travel, minor league baseball, etc.) that is a better outlet for my money and (most importantly, time).

KingXerxes
02-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
That part of the article got my attention as well. My patience is wearing thin with JR's operation. Actually I may be about done with rooting for this team unfortunately. I did not renew my season tickets and planned on attending 10 or so games this year. That number is falling fast.

Nothing short of a World Championship in the next 5 years will save this pathetic organization. There's so much else out there (familty, hobbies, travel, minor league baseball, etc.) that is a better outlet for my money and (most importantly, time).

I'll still watch the games, and go to the games - but how I wish they would just clean house as far as ownership/management goes.

Hullett_Fan
02-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
I'll still watch the games, and go to the games - but how I wish they would just clean house as far as ownership/management goes.

At some point all the wishing and hoping becomes painful. I'm relatively young (29) so I know I outlive JR (knock on wood) and be around when the next owner takes the reigns. That day can't come soon enough!!!

IOWA SOXMAN
02-04-2004, 05:06 PM
I wasn't at this years Sox Fantasy Camp. However, I've attended the previous six years and I've appreciated JR's iniative and willingness to appear and dialogue in a relative candid way in a sometimes hostile environment.

Lip Man 1
02-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Ed Herrmann also told me tonight that there was another heated session around 1999 that got so edgy that then GM Ron Schueler had to insist that fans stop asking Uncle Jerry questions and start directing them to him to answer.

Lip