PDA

View Full Version : Levine on 1000 earlier today

munchman33
02-02-2004, 06:43 PM
At around 4:30 Bruce Levine was on AM 1000. He said that the new Dodgers owner was likely to make a serious run at Maddux, and then trade Odalis Perez, most likely for Konerko.

soxnut
02-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
At around 4:30 Bruce Levine was on AM 1000. He said that the new Dodgers owner was likely to make a serious run at Maddux, and then trade Odalis Perez, most likely for Konerko.

Any timetable on when this might happen? I'd be in favor of it. Nothing against Konerko,( I think he just had an off year) but I'd would like to see another starter aquired. :smile:

SoxxoS
02-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Can this deal just happen already? Perez would fit in great as our 5th starter, and Konerko is a clown. A slow, overpaid clown, at that. Got to make this one work, KW.

carusochop
02-02-2004, 06:53 PM
I would be for it, Perez is a good young pitcher. We would then need to sign either Mondesi or McGriff to DH or play 1B, if Bernard is our DH, then please keep Konerko.

Lip Man 1
02-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Maddux to the Dodgers was reported on in The Sporting News they also said the Cubs offer was "far less" then the reported 12 million for two years and that Greg and Scott Boras rejected it almost immediately.

Lip

WinningUgly!
02-02-2004, 06:59 PM
If the deal goes down, I'd like to see Thomas at 1B every day & Ellis Burks brought in to DH. We'll probably end up with Valentin DHing & Juan Uribe as the regular SS.

bc2k
02-02-2004, 07:03 PM

Has Dan Evans been fired? Have the Dodgers already hired a new GM?

MRKARNO
02-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Has Dan Evans been fired? Have the Dodgers already hired a new GM?

Evans will be interviewed to keep his job. He is not for certain the GM next year in LA

jabrch
02-02-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
If the deal goes down, I'd like to see Thomas at 1B every day & Ellis Burks brought in to DH. We'll probably end up with Valentin DHing & Juan Uribe as the regular SS.

OK, serious question. (no intention to start a Frank-War)

Does anyone know if Frank has been working out at all - preparing himself to play 1B - taking grounders, doing those excercises to strengthen himself to play 150 games at 1B?

Let's not have the discussion if he can field or if he can throw again - I am tired of it. Do we have any insight as to what he is doing to prepare right now for possibly playing 1B?

(I avoided any statements that might even be considered shots at Frank - so please nobody start unnecesarily defending him, ok?)

OEO Magglio
02-02-2004, 07:25 PM
If Pauly is traded, I'd personally love to see Randall Simon brought in to play 1st base.

guillen4life13
02-02-2004, 07:27 PM
I don't know. There have been reports saying that he's working out quite a bit, but whether he's conditioning himself for fielding is unknown. He's supposedly doing some hardcore weight lifting, so obviously he's working out for hitting. I wouldn't be surprised either way about the fielding workouts.

jeremyb1
02-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
If Pauly is traded, I'd personally love to see Randall Simon brought in to play 1st base.

I'd like to see Mondesi at DH or in one of the corner spots with Carlos shifting to 1B. Still, the idea of dealing Konerko for Perez seems way too good to be true. Paully has what seems to be an immovable albatross of a contract at this point and Perez, even if he is undervalued, does not have a bad contract or the Dodgers would have non-tendered him.

CWSGuy406
02-02-2004, 07:43 PM
It's kind of funny, though no one has mentioned it in this thread, people say it was KW's fault for resigning PK, but when you go back a while ago and check out the thread, everyone loved the signing.

I am, however, also in favor of this trade. We need pitching.

lowesox
02-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Still, the idea of dealing Konerko for Perez seems way too good to be true.

I'm not opposed to this trade, but I don't think it's anywhere near being 'too good to be true.' Let me ask you this: would it surprise you if Paul Konerko tore up the league next year? I could absolutely see it happening.

I know everybody wants to trade Konerko right now, and like I said, I'm not against it. But remember a lot of people were calling for Lee to be traded before the beginning of last year and now nobody wants to trade him.

soxwon
02-02-2004, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WinningUgly!
[B]If the deal goes down, I'd like to see Thomas at 1B every day & Ellis Burks brought in to DH. We'll probably end up with Valentin DHing & Juan Uribe as the regular SS.

Theres that name again.
Ellis Burks, someone brought him up earlier in the year.
is he still good?

roofshot87
02-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Im not too sure about Mondesi, he hasnt quite faired well in the AL and if you read the info for him on his ESPN page, he isnt too good in the clubhouse. See the circumstances he left the Yankees.

batmanZoSo
02-02-2004, 07:51 PM

Konerko be gone. He's through. I'll take nothing for him and I mean that literally...Perez would be the steal of the young century.

Purple monkey dishwasher.

munchman33
02-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio

Is this Randall Simon?

MRKARNO
02-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I'd like to see Mondesi at DH or in one of the corner spots with Carlos shifting to 1B. Still, the idea of dealing Konerko for Perez seems way too good to be true. Paully has what seems to be an immovable albatross of a contract at this point and Perez, even if he is undervalued, does not have a bad contract or the Dodgers would have non-tendered him.

If you have mondesi on your team and you dont have him in a corner outfield position (probably right), then you are misusing his defensive abilities. Best outfield arm in the majors according to many.

SEALgep
02-02-2004, 07:58 PM

Burk is most likely headed to Boston. Frank can pick the ball, but his defense lacks to a degree, especially in the throwing department. If Konerko was traded, I could see Gload being a platoon man and a pinch hitter, but I would like to see Travis Lee picked up with ther savings. Assuming Perez was part of the deal, Lee and Perez would cost less than Konerko combined. I guess he's looking for a multi year deal, and on the West Coast at that, but time is running out for FA, so maybe he would be inclined to sign with the Sox. He made $500,000 last year, but would most likely make at least a million or two, maybe slightly higher depending. Here's the 411 on Lee.

2003 Season
After signing with the Devil Rays in February when he had no other alternatives, Travis Lee had a very productive season. He was dazzling on defense, saving the Rays' erratic infielders from throwing errors on almost a nightly basis and making a handful of highlight-reel plays of his own. He missed two weeks due to a strained right oblique in April but still ranked second on the team in doubles, home runs, extra-base hits and on-base percentage.

Hitting
Lee is not a classic slugging first baseman, but he showed signs of providing enough offense to fit in well with a team that can get homers from elsewhere in the lineup (Perfect for the Sox). He has power, as evidenced by his batting practice displays, but tends to be more of a line-drive and gap hitter. Lee shows good plate discipline and has learned to use the count to his advantage, but he isn't much of a two-strike hitter. His laid-back attitude creates the perception of a lack of intensity, which can be troubling to some.

Baserunning & Defense
Lee is one of the few players in today's game who is known more for his defensive skills, and the attention is warranted. His ability to anticipate bad throws and put himself in position to react and scoop the ball is extraordinary. He is nimble enough to make diving stops and run down foul balls, frustrating opposing hitters on a regular basis. Lee isn't going to run as much as he did early in his career, but he is quick enough to steal a base in the right situation and does a good job of getting around the bases.

2004 Outlook
When the Rays and Lee both declined his mutual option, and the team didn't offer him salary arbitration, it marked the end of a one-year relationship. Lee is looking for a multiyear deal and possibly the chance to return to the West Coast, while the Rays are seeking to add more power to their lineup. The club traded for Tino Martinez in late November.

Foulke You
02-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Dodgers get Maddux (and subsequently the Cubs don't) and we get to rid ourselves of a bad contract AND get an additional starter? That would be fantastic.

If this deal went down, I wouldn't mind seeing Ellis Burks brought in as a DH providing he is healthy. I don't want any part of Mondesi. We don't need a clubhouse cancer like that for 2004.

Other still unsigned DH/1B types:

Andres Galarraga
Ron Coomer
Mark McLemore
Fred McWhiff
Troy O'Leary
Wil Cordero (reportedly close to signing with Florida)

MRKARNO
02-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Dodgers get Maddux (and subsequently the Cubs don't) and we get to rid ourselves of a bad contract AND get an additional starter? That would be fantastic.

If this deal went down, I wouldn't mind seeing Ellis Burks brought in as a DH providing he is healthy. I don't want any part of Mondesi. We don't need a clubhouse cancer like that for 2004.

Other still unsigned DH/1B types:

Andres Galarraga
Ron Coomer
Mark McLemore
Fred McWhiff
Troy O'Leary
Wil Cordero (reportedly close to signing with Florida)

I heard Galarraga might sit out the first half of the season and then join a team for the stretch run

mdep524
02-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I know everybody wants to trade Konerko right now, and like I said, I'm not against it. But remember a lot of people were calling for Lee to be traded before the beginning of last year and now nobody wants to trade him.

I do.

Also, Raul Mondesi? I think we'd be better off with Randall Simon. I don't like Mondesi--he fits that Will Cordero, Albert Belle headache mold that the Sox inexplicably gravitate toward.

Actually, I was thinking if the Dodgers get Konerko and keep Beltre, maybe we could get Rockin' Robin from them. He'd be a much better solution at 1B for so many reasons.

SEALgep
02-02-2004, 08:14 PM
TRAVIS LEE- if Konerko is traded.

A. Cavatica
02-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Perez would fit in great as our 5th starter.

Try "3rd starter". He could be anywhere from #2-#4 depending on other performances, but you'd have to slot him in before Schoeneweis.

To those who want to sign Mondesi, or Simon, or Lee -- enough already! This team needs a spot for Jeremy Reed. He can play first. Wasting precious dollars on Mondesi, Simon, or Lee doesn't make sense.

Tragg
02-02-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WinningUgly!
[B]
is he still good?

Yes, but only if the Sox would sue MLB to make them comply with the Americans Disabilities Act and install weelchair/walker accessible base-paths.

SEALgep
02-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Try "3rd starter". He could be anywhere from #2-#4 depending on other performances, but you'd have to slot him in before Schoeneweis.

To those who want to sign Mondesi, or Simon, or Lee -- enough already! This team needs a spot for Jeremy Reed. He can play first. Wasting precious dollars on Mondesi, Simon, or Lee doesn't make sense.

No way, that's not smart. He needs to develop another year, and rushing him up and putting him out of position spells out disaster. Lee wouldn't cost much and is known for a very good glove. Reed will get his chance soon, but not at first. If anything, Carlos Lee would move to first to free up an outfield spot, but I'm not in favor of that unless it became necessary. Travis Lee is our best option and would come at a reasonable price. Most likely 1-2 million per year.

depy48
02-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Wil Cordero signed with the Marlins, and rotoworld reports that randall simon and pittsburg are hammering out a contract. Ellis Burkes has been in Boston rumors, but if he doesnt go to Boston, and Konerko is gone... I'd like to see Burkes back. Does anyone know anything about Guillen-Burkes relationship?

MetalliSox
02-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

Does anyone know if Frank has been working out at all - preparing himself to play 1B - taking grounders, doing those excercises to strengthen himself to play 150 games at 1B?

Let's not have the discussion if he can field or if he can throw again - I am tired of it. Do we have any insight as to what he is doing to prepare right now for possibly playing 1B?

(I avoided any statements that might even be considered shots at Frank - so please nobody start unnecesarily defending him, ok?)

I doubt many people work as hard as Frank does in the offseason. He just doesn't get credit for it.

SEALgep
02-02-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by MetalliSox
I doubt many people work as hard as Frank does in the offseason. He just doesn't get credit for it.

He works out very hard, and this season is no different. There have been reports in Vegas that he's in the gym every day.

WinningUgly!
02-02-2004, 09:23 PM
Burks has said that he'd like to go back to Boston, but he'd get very limited ABs there. The White Sox would be able to offer him a much larger role, which might be enough to sign him.

This is from Rotoworld today...
Ellis Burks has a deal with another team all worked out, but he still wants to join the Red Sox. "we want to give this every chance to work out," agent Jim Turner said. "This is where Ellis wants to be." The Sox would like to have Burks and it doesn't appear that financial issues will stand in the way of a deal. However, they're not going to be able to guarantee him much playing time and that could be a problem.
(I seriously doubt the White Sox are "another team").

WinningUgly!
02-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
There's that name again.
is he still good?

Burks only played in 55 games last season before having season ending surgery for a pinched ulnar nerve in his elbow. He has always been able to hit.

Here are his numbers since leaving Coors Field...

tanko
02-02-2004, 09:43 PM
Is Levine really a good source or what????

LATruBlue
02-02-2004, 09:44 PM
I had heard rumors before that the Dodgers were interested in Burks. They could be the other team. Only time will tell.

duke of dorwood
02-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Well. I'd get Randall Simon-and worry about other things later. WE NEED HITTING. Levine made a reference to the infirior talent on the White Sox.

RKMeibalane
02-02-2004, 09:55 PM

Those are all good questions. I don't think anyone knows the answer to them... except Frank. We'll just to have to see what he has in mind as far as whether he is still interested in playing first once ST starts. He said last season that he wanted to be out there more. I don't know of any reason why he would change his mind, but we'll just have to wait and see.

MRKARNO
02-02-2004, 10:13 PM
Burks only played in 55 games last season before having season ending surgery for a pinched ulnar nerve in his elbow. He has always been able to hit.

Here are his numbers since leaving Coors Field...

Wow. If he's healthy, then that would be a huge signing for the sox, but under the radar. Trading Konerko for Odalis and signing Burks would add offense as well as the obvious pitching depth.

Brian26
02-02-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by tanko

He's got a hell of a lot of connections, but that doesn't necessarily translate to being a good source for trade rumors.

JRIG
02-02-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
He's got a hell of a lot of connections, but that doesn't necessarily translate to being a good source for trade rumors.

Like him or not, Bruce works the phones very hard and his info is usually fairly acccurate.

Brian26
02-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Like him or not, Bruce works the phones very hard and his info is usually fairly acccurate.

I actually like him. I stood next to him and Ozzie Jr on Sunday at the seminar. I think he's got an excellent handle on the Sox financial and contractual matters. His trade rumors don't always come to fruition, which isn't necessarily his fault. People get fed bad info all the time.

JRIG
02-02-2004, 11:09 PM
I actually like him. I stood next to him and Ozzie Jr on Sunday at the seminar. I think he's got an excellent handle on the Sox financial and contractual matters. His trade rumors don't always come to fruition, which isn't necessarily his fault. People get fed bad info all the time.

Exactly. My point being Bruce isn't just making things up or reading more into a situation than is there. He's sure to get a good source before he goes public with something.

Jjav829
02-03-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Wow. If he's healthy, then that would be a huge signing for the sox, but under the radar. Trading Konerko for Odalis and signing Burks would add offense as well as the obvious pitching depth.

A huge signing? Pudge signing with the Tigers is a huge signing. Vlad/Colon signing with the Angels are huge signings. a 39 year old, slow DH is not a huge signing. If Konerko is traded he would be a decent addition cheaply as a platoon DH, but it's nowhere near a huge signing.

Jjav829
02-03-2004, 12:06 AM

Also, just because something is a trade rumor, it doesn't mean its going to happen. Thats why some people feel guys like Levine, Gammons, etc. make things up. A rumor is just that, a rumor. It can be a bad piece of info like you said. Or it can be something that is 100% true but just never gets done. Teams talk trades all the time but don't close the deal on them. They can't work out the final details, or for any number of reasons the deal falls apart and never happens. So when a guy like Levine gets info and jumps with it to report it to the public, and it doesn't happen, people think he's making it up.

jeremyb1
02-03-2004, 01:45 AM
I'm not opposed to this trade, but I don't think it's anywhere near being 'too good to be true.' Let me ask you this: would it surprise you if Paul Konerko tore up the league next year? I could absolutely see it happening.

The problem with Konerko is that he doesn't walk a ton (54 BB's is his high) and he plays at the strongest offensive position in baseball. That requires him to produce as he did in the first half of '02 for a full season to become a huge asset. Otherwise, he's not a great deal better than league average for his position and that performance doesn't match an 8 million dollar per season salary.

jeremyb1
02-03-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Well. I'd get Randall Simon-and worry about other things later. WE NEED HITTING. Levine made a reference to the infirior talent on the White Sox.

Simon isn't very good. He has arguably the worst plate discipline of any regular in baseball leading to below average OBP and he doesn't have much power. Mondesi isn't outstanding and he's probably not the best in the clubhouse but he can defend and he'll outproduce Simon.

bestkosher
02-03-2004, 08:35 AM
the ultimate grider of that group would be ron coomer, in my opinion he may not be flashy but he plays his heart out on the field and if paulie were to go, sniff sniff small tear...theres a tear in my beeer, sorry got off track, ron coomer has aways played well and has a good defensive range and definitly is a positive locker room person

gosox41
02-03-2004, 08:54 AM

For the record, I'd trade Lee. Hitting second in front of Frank can make anyone look like a better hitter. Lee didn't have as great a year as most think he did.

Just want to get that Lee stmt out now.

Bob

BeerHandle
02-03-2004, 08:56 AM

I have been tryng to archive an article I read about Thomas' off season condition. It was about 1.5 months back. The article did mention that his offseason includes a lot of cardio, weights, hitting and fielding. As soon as I find it I will post the link.

gosox41
02-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by tanko

Ask him how those A-Rod talks are going. :D:

Bob

SEALgep
02-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
For the record, I'd trade Lee. Hitting second in front of Frank can make anyone look like a better hitter. Lee didn't have as great a year as most think he did.

Just want to get that Lee stmt out now.

Bob
Maybe his season gets diminished a little since he was expected to have a break out like that a season or two ago. However, his potential is too good to trade away. He led the team in rbi's and stolen bases. He hit .291 31 homeruns and 113 rbis. You can't just dismiss that. Especially if we lose Maggs next year as well. We'll need him.

habibharu
02-03-2004, 10:45 AM
we should try to package mags and konerko to LA since he wont be back anyway. how bout for loney/guiteriez, miller,mota,perez

kittle42
02-03-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by habibharu
we should try to package mags and konerko to LA since he wont be back anyway. how bout for loney/guiteriez, miller,mota,perez

Let's trade Thomas and Lee while we're at it.

Hullett_Fan
02-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Let's trade Thomas and Lee while we're at it.

Throw in Buerhle and you've got yourself a deal! :D: