PDA

View Full Version : A little scared by the Tigers

carusochop
02-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Okay with the Tigers signing I-Rod, I've suddenly become a little scared. Take a look at their line-up

C-I-Rod-best overall C in the game
1B-Carlos Pena-Awesome defender, only improving offensively
2B-Fernando Vina-overpaid for him, but he is an improvement
SS-Carlos Guillen-better than Aurilla, might be best SS in central
3B-Eric Munson-no defense, but can hit
LF-Bobby Higginson-overpaid and overrated
CF-Alex Sanchez-fast, but can't hit much
RF-Rondell White-useful, never know what you will get

There pitchers are still terrible and they overpard for Jason Johnson, but if they do make a trade for Washburn or sign Maddux, in a division as weak as ours, this team could be scary.

SEALgep
02-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Well it won't affect the White Sox, we lost to them last year, lol. Hopefully now some other teams in our division lose to them too. There's no question that Detroit is better with Pudge, and a different team with all the acquisitions. Although they aren't close to winning the division, they are not going to be the pushovers they were last year. The rookies have a little more experience, and now they're young pitching learning under Pudge and calling their games. That alone will make them better.

thecell
02-02-2004, 04:53 PM
They're still going to lose at least 95 games.

Foulke You
02-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by carusochop
Okay with the Tigers signing I-Rod, I've suddenly become a little scared. Take a look at their line-up

C-I-Rod-best overall C in the game
1B-Carlos Pena-Awesome defender, only improving offensively
2B-Fernando Vina-overpaid for him, but he is an improvement
SS-Carlos Guillen-better than Aurilla, might be best SS in central
3B-Eric Munson-no defense, but can hit
LF-Bobby Higginson-overpaid and overrated
CF-Alex Sanchez-fast, but can't hit much
RF-Rondell White-useful, never know what you will get

There pitchers are still terrible and they overpard for Jason Johnson, but if they do make a trade for Washburn or sign Maddux, in a division as weak as ours, this team could be scary.

Don't worry about the Tigers. They will still be the worst team in the division next year. They have improved their offense slightly but that pitching staff, particularly the bullpen are BAD. The White Sox staff look like world beaters in comparison. Schoeneweis would be a #2 starter on the Tigers. Vina, I-Rod, and White are also all very injury prone. It isn't inconceivable that all 3 could be in the Injured list by the All-Star break. Are the Tigers better than the 2003 version? Yes. Is the current team any good? No.

MHOUSE
02-03-2004, 12:02 PM
The improving young players on the Jndjans will still be better than the Tigers. Talk about lack of involvement; has Cleveland done anything this offseason? Baez and Burks are gone, but otherwise their team remains the same.

IMO, watch out for the Devil Rays. They could turn out like the Royals with a nice mix of veteran role players and young talent. They won't compete with the first three in that division, but they'll be much improved.

carusochop
02-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Cleveland signed Ron Belliard to play 2B, they also signed Adam Piatt ( a guy we could've used on our bench). In the pitching department they took a flyer on both Jeff D'Amico and Jose Jiminez. Once again both guys we could've used.......

skottyj242
02-03-2004, 01:41 PM
The Tigers are still by far the worst team in baseball. They have no starters, no bullpen. Pudge couldn't sign anywhere else because everyone was scared about his back. They suck.

ondafarm
02-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by skottyj242
The Tigers are still by far the worst team in baseball.

I disagree. The Expos are going to be particularly punchless this year.

fuzzy_patters
02-03-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm
I disagree. The Expos are going to be particularly punchless this year.

Both of them will be better than the Brewers.

carusochop
02-03-2004, 10:44 PM
don't forget the pirates

MHOUSE
02-04-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by carusochop
don't forget the pirates

Aside from the Cubs and the Astros, the NL Central will be pushovers. The Reds, Pirates, and Brewers all suck. Lucky for the Flubs they'll be able to rack up lots of wins that way.