PDA

View Full Version : Papi Hidalgo

bennyw41
02-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Ozzie brought Papi Hidalgo with him when he first entered the sox organization. Any word on whether or not he is bringing him back as bat boy for this season? I'd love it.

mandmandm
02-02-2004, 10:28 AM
If Ozzie needs a good stash connection in Chicago Papi would be the man for the job.

Grobber33
02-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Keep that guy away!! The position of Bat Boy is for young Kids,that guy was a 'professional' bat boy who was taking the place of a kid that deserved the chance to be Sox Bat Boy.
Besides,Mr.Hidalgo thought HE was part of the show,and the way he jumped around and high fived the players etc,was quite annoying.
Sorry,,,he does'nt belong out there!!!!

Jerko
02-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Grobber, no hatin on Papi when your team has probably the most annoying "batboy" ever, **cough DARRINBAKER cough***

Viva Magglio
02-02-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
Grobber, no hatin on Papi when your team has probably the most annoying "batboy" ever, **cough DARRINBAKER cough***

Actually, because of Bud Selig, little Darrin has never been a Cub batboy. But haven't the Cubs used underage batboys in the form of Jack Lopez's sons?

DrCrawdad
02-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Grobber33
Keep that guy away!! The position of Bat Boy is for young Kids,that guy was a 'professional' bat boy who was taking the place of a kid that deserved the chance to be Sox Bat Boy.
Besides,Mr.Hidalgo thought HE was part of the show,and the way he jumped around and high fived the players etc,was quite annoying.

Les, did you go to SoxFest? What's going on with your radio gig situation?

Jerko
02-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Actually, because of Bud Selig, little Darrin has never been a Cub batboy. But haven't the Cubs used underage batboys in the form of Jack Lopez's sons?

True, which means he (darrin) was a bigger pain in the ass than Papi could ever think of being. I know they passed that rule about batboys after Darrin almost got smeared at home plate in the WS.

bennyw41
02-02-2004, 11:22 AM

Oh please grobber. If you remember correctly, the last few years, the bat boys have been either overweight doofy looking fellows, or a kid who just changed jerseys for the opposing team. Lets not romantasize the position of bat boy. Papi was fun to watch, and it seemed like he helped the team have some fun.

Grobber33
02-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
Oh please grobber. If you remember correctly, the last few years, the bat boys have been either overweight doofy looking fellows, or a kid who just changed jerseys for the opposing team. Lets not romantasize the position of bat boy. Papi was fun to watch, and it seemed like he helped the team have some fun.

Oh please yourself!! Dont make me barff!! I'd much rather have an underaged Bat Boy than one who is grossly Overaged! If Mr.Hidalgo was a Professional Cub Bat Boy(thank heavens he was'nt)instead of Sox,you'd all be torching him! The Sox have always tried to make that position available to Kids,and Papi simply took a spot away from one and used it to 'promote' himself. Enough already!!

Doc, as for your question,yes I was at Sox Feast Fri & Sat like I am each year, and as for your other question, I adress that on the home page of www.grobber.com

jeremyb1
02-02-2004, 12:18 PM
The curse of Popi Hildago...

thepaulbowski
02-02-2004, 12:19 PM
Oh please yourself!! Dont make me barff!! I'd much rather have an underaged Bat Boy than one who is grossly Overaged! If Mr.Hidalgo was a Professional Cub Bat Boy(thank heavens he was'nt)instead of Sox,you'd all be torching him! The Sox have always tried to make that position available to Kids,and Papi simply took a spot away from one and used it to 'promote' himself. Enough already!!

Amen, this guy was sideshow. He wasn't fun to watch, he was a distraction from the game. And didn't he get canned because he didn't want to do the things he was suppose to do?

DrCrawdad
02-02-2004, 01:36 PM
O...Doc, as for your question,yes I was at Sox Feast Fri & Sat like I am each year, and as for your other question, I adress that on the home page of www.grobber.com

Got 'cha!

I just read the comments. I was at SoxFEST (not SoxFeast :D: ). Sorry I missed seeing you.

CubKilla
02-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Oh please yourself!! Dont make me barff!! I'd much rather have an underaged Bat Boy than one who is grossly Overaged! If Mr.Hidalgo was a Professional Cub Bat Boy(thank heavens he was'nt)instead of Sox,you'd all be torching him!

Because the Trib and Cub fans would make an icon out of Papi ala Harry and Ronnie "Woo Woo". You'd probably then be singing the praises of "professional" batboys in MLB.

And considering some Cubs can't keep their game bats and corked bats separated, maybe a professional batboy is just what the doctor ordered for the home team at Clark and Addison.

Foulke You
02-02-2004, 01:52 PM

Holy crap. I'm agreeing with Grobber. :D: I never liked Popi all that much. I think he always hammed it up for the cameras too much and Les is right, batboys shouldn't be 30+ years of age. They also shouldn't be 4 years old like Darrin Baker. (see 2002 World Series) Let a Little Leaguer between the ages of 8-12 be the batboy. Someone who could really enjoy being in the clubhouse of an MLB team.

Grobber33
02-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Holy crap. I'm agreeing with Grobber. :D: I never liked Popi all that much. I think he always hammed it up for the cameras too much and Les is right, batboys shouldn't be 30+ years of age. They also shouldn't be 4 years old like Darrin Baker. (see 2002 World Series) Let a Little Leaguer between the ages of 8-12 be the batboy. Someone who could really enjoy being in the clubhouse of an MLB team.

Well said Foulke You!!! I dont think Dusty's kid should be doing it either. Darrin gets to be on the Field and Clubhouse all the time. I think letting a kid WITHOUT connections be the bat boy is pretty cool,that's the tradition of that position!

bennyw41
02-02-2004, 02:10 PM

Doc, as for your question,yes I was at Sox Feast Fri & Sat like I am each year, and as for your other question, I adress that on the home page of www.grobber.com

You don't know what I'd torch the Cubs on or not. I can find lots of other things to torch them on. The point is, most of the bat boys since hidalgo have NOT been children, but 18 year olds who are either friends of the organization or interns.

jabrch
02-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Well said Foulke You!!! I dont think Dusty's kid should be doing it either. Darrin gets to be on the Field and Clubhouse all the time. I think letting a kid WITHOUT connections be the bat boy is pretty cool,that's the tradition of that position!

A kid without connections? Come on Les - that's not realisticly an option. I didn't care much for Papi - but I do know that if he were a Cub, he'd be loved like Ronnie Woo Woo and the dopey band of senior citizens that play in the 100s behind the plate.

Both teams and their fans love to romaticize traditions like that. Andy the Clown? Woo Woo, etc.

Foulke You
02-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
A kid without connections? Come on Les - that's not realisticly an option. I didn't care much for Papi - but I do know that if he were a Cub, he'd be loved like Ronnie Woo Woo and the dopey band of senior citizens that play in the 100s behind the plate.

Both teams and their fans love to romaticize traditions like that. Andy the Clown? Woo Woo, etc.

But what Les is saying is that the origins of the batboy are in local neighborhood kids. Why can't it be an option? It would be great if the Sox reached out to some of the south side little league organizations to get their batboys. What little leaguer hasn't dreamed of being in an MLB dugout with the players? Why should it have be a 30 year old "friend of the program" like Popi or a 4 year old son of a manager like Darrin Baker?

jabrch
02-02-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
But what Les is saying is that the origins of the batboy are in local neighborhood kids. Why can't it be an option? It would be great if the Sox reached out to some of the south side little league organizations to get their batboys. What little leaguer hasn't dreamed of being in an MLB dugout with the players? Why should it have be a 30 year old "friend of the program" like Popi or a 4 year old son of a manager like Darrin Baker?

Idealistically, it should. Foulke, I would love to see that. However, realistically, it will be a son of a Trib exec, a member of JR's law firm's son, a player's son, a big sponsor's son, a network exec's son...etc....

Why is that? Because that's what those people pay for. I am just being realistic, but privilege has its privileges. Every now and then you might see, for PRs sake, a "kid from the neighborhood" doing it. But that is only because Coca-Cola paid for it. That job is for sale - the same way everything is.

I wonder what KW is paying to be GM for a few years?

BainesHOF
02-02-2004, 08:35 PM
If they ever remake "The Wizard of Oz," Poppy would be perfect as a flying monkey.

Daver
02-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by BainesHOF
If they ever remake "The Wizard of Oz," Poppy would be perfect as a flying monkey.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Viva Magglio
02-02-2004, 09:21 PM
If there is a current batboy vacancy, think Ozzie, Jr., is the frontrunner? He's of legal age to be a batboy.