PDA

View Full Version : White Sox fans

GW83
02-01-2004, 09:26 PM
I have heard many times that a White Sox fan is more than likely to be working class.

I don't believe that to be true. I know many people who are professionals that are Sox fans.

So why the stereotype? There's got to be more to it than the Southside being a working class area.

TornLabrum
02-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by GW83
I have heard many times that a White Sox fan is more than likely to be working class.

I don't believe that to be true. I know many people who are professionals that are Sox fans.

So why the stereotype? There's got to be more to it than the Southside being a working class area.

It's not necessarily true of the current generation of Sox fans, but if you look back a generation or two at most, you'll find that the typical Sox fan was from the working class neighborhoods of the South Side.

Although I grew up out in the sticks, we got to an occasional game when I was a kid. Before the Ryan was built, you had to drive past the stock yards, which were just a few blocks south of Comiskey Park. It wasn't exactly a wealthy group of people living and working there.

mike squires
02-01-2004, 09:39 PM
I don't know about working class but Whitesox fans are definately different. I remember the last two years standing in lines at Sox fest and thinking...We are definately an ugly bunch...well, that is everyone except me. :D:

mike squires
02-01-2004, 09:40 PM
Well, Michelle is certainly a cutie too. :)

munchman33
02-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
I don't know about working class but Whitesox fans are definately different. I remember the last two years standing in lines at Sox fest and thinking...We are definately an ugly bunch...well, that is everyone except me. :D:

We tend to be hairier, too. :D:

SoxFan76
02-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Even to this day Sox fans appear to be more of the hard workers, and Cub fans seem to be the rich businessmen or preppy college frat boys.

MRKARNO
02-01-2004, 11:03 PM
White Sox fans are more likely to be professionals in this day and age

Reason 1: US Cellular Field is very friendly to businessmen who want to take clients to games. There's about a billion boxes. This is in contrast to Old Comiskey which was very different.

Reason 2: Chicago is getting to be a city with a higher percentage of professional jobs as opposed to blue-collar jobs.

Reason 3: The children of blue-collar workers have grown up and become professionals.

SoxFan76
02-01-2004, 11:10 PM
That is very true. I know times have changed, but those blue collar Sox fans raise their kids to have the same values. Even though their children may be more successful, the values are still there. My dad is a perfect example. My grandpa was a truck driver with 6 kids. Didn't have much money. My dad has a great job now, plenty of money, but he still teaches us those values of life as if we didn't have money. On the outside the fans may have changed, but I belive the fans are still true to the roots.

MarqSox
02-02-2004, 12:23 AM
I'd rather be known as working-class than yuppie anyday.

chisoxmike
02-02-2004, 01:13 AM
I have a friend who thinks the White Sox are the north side team, and the Cubs are the south side team.

Why is a person this inane you ask?

Becuase she lived on the south side, and was a cub fan. "So that's all she knows." is what she says.

I've tried COUNTLESS times saying that it is the opposite, and she won't admit she's wrong. To annoy me now she says "I root for the South Side Cubbies." I told her to walk around and say that ON south side and see what happens.

RichFitztightly
02-02-2004, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by chisoxmike
I have a friend who thinks the White Sox are the north side team, and the Cubs are the south side team.

Why is a person this inane you ask?

Becuase she lived on the south side, and was a cub fan. "So that's all she knows." is what she says.

I've tried COUNTLESS times saying that it is the opposite, and she won't admit she's wrong. To annoy me now she says "I root for the South Side Cubbies." I told her to walk around and say that ON south side and see what happens.

Holy Good God..... Have you ever just taken out a map?

Hangar18
02-02-2004, 03:27 AM
After this past weekend, seeing all the regular people I know,
and meeting many more new people, after witnessing and being part of Friday Nites Airing of Grievances ..............
White Sox Fans .................are the best fans in the world

BeerHandle
02-02-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
After this past weekend, seeing all the regular people I know,
and meeting many more new people, after witnessing and being part of Friday Nites Airing of Grievances ..............
White Sox Fans .................are the best fans in the world

I was traveling for work so I couldn't make it to Sox Fest. I heard Friday night was very heated between the fams and the Sox brass. Was the WSI crew part of it?

michned
02-02-2004, 08:47 AM
I'm sure there have been lots of newspaper articles writen about Cub fan, Sox fan differences, but if somehow you have access to a Suntimes archive, check out a column written by Mike Royko written around Sept./Oct. '83 that talked about the differences. Best article I ever read on the subject.

steff
02-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I was traveling for work so I couldn't make it to Sox Fest. I heard Friday night was very heated between the fams and the Sox brass. Was the WSI crew part of it?

Naa.. not heated at all. It was probably about 68 degrees in there.. :D:

BeerHandle
02-02-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by steff
Naa.. not heated at all. It was probably about 68 degrees in there.. :D:

So it was a little cold in the room to help the Sox Brass from sweating.