PDA

View Full Version : SoxFest Reflections

Viva Magglio
02-01-2004, 03:40 PM
With another SoxFest in the rear view mirror, it's time to reflect not upon what was said by whom (we have other threads for that) but the overall spectacle of the weekend. I spent most of my time in the seminars and walking around the exhibitions. I thought the exhibitors had a great deal of stuff this year.

My favorite moment of SoxFest is after hours. I attended the SoxFest Family Party in the Regency Ballroom last night was well as the "post-party" party up in the atrium bar (I refuse to call the atrium bar "BIG: A Brassiere and a Bar" because that is such a stupid name). It is there you get to mingle with not only other Sox fans but also Sox personnel.

I got to spend a good deal of time talking to Dave Wills not about White Sox baseball but Horizon League basketball. You all know I'm a Loyola fan, and Wills is the play-by-play announcer for UIC on ESPN Radio 1000. I also got to talk briefly with Kelly Wunsch and told him that he did a great "Let It Be" at the family party. With all the criticism Rob Gallas gets, some deserved and some not deserved, I thought his Beatle band "Twist & Shout" did a great performance.

The whole Saturday night was quite a blast as it always is. A lot of people got very drinky Saturday night. I took part in the indulging too at little bit, but that night is always the night for us to indulge in a good time. We all had a good time and it let us forget about the controversies dogging us as a franchise.

southsidegirl
02-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Here's my reflection (actually more of everything that happened) this weekend.

The first autograph that we got was Miguel Olivo/Mark Buehrle. We were the 3rd and 4th to last people to be allowed in line and I was jumping up and down cuz I was really hyper. Aaron Rowand walked by and I scream across the room "AARON!" and he looks and waves. When we get to the front of the line, I asked Miguel if his hand hurt and he said "kind of" and laughed. Mark was the nicest. He was like "Of course you can have my picture, you're wearing my shirt." and then when my friend asked he was like "I dunno, you're not wearing my shirt." We later followed Aaron Rowand until he gave us his autograph and then stood and stared at Jon Garland. He looked at us and I waved and he waved back. After it was over, we went to Houlihans, and suddenly, Jon Garland walks in with some girl. She was probably his girlfriend, but she wasn't as pretty as me. I bet that if i was 11 years older, he would've ditched her for me.....Anyway, I go "Hi Jon" and he turned and waved. He sat down at the table next to us and he started playing with the girl's hair... He kept on looking over at us, and we think that it was because of my friend turning to me when I was talking and looking like she was looking at him. Anyway, Saturday we got Willie Harris and Jose Valentin's autograph and went to Joe Crede and Jon Garland's seminar. At Jon's there were these girls behind us and we started talking, and one of them started rattling off random Jon stats. When we got his autograph, he asked "How was dinner?", which totally caught me off guard. I started stuttering and I looked like huge boob. We went to a seminar and then out to eat. Kelly was awesome at the party. He sang "Let It Be" and "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da". He has a great voice. We just missed Hawk. I wanted to ask him if he would get a mohawk if we went on a win streak. Get it, MoHAWK? We saw Willie Harris and Miguel Olivo punching each other, and Esteban Loaiza was wearing an ugly shirt. At about 9:00, we started up to the room, and guess who comes on the elevator with us.......Kenny Williams. I was trying to think of something to say to him, but my mind was drawing a blank, so I just kinda stared at him. I think he was kinda freaked. This morning, we went to get Estebans, but the line was filled right as we got there, so we went and got Jon's again. He didn't say anything. I think he hates us. We went to the Family Matters seminar which was funny, and then we had to go.

That's about it......

Brian26
02-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Autographs I got this year:

-Jack McDowell "93 Cy Young" on his own ball.

- Lamarr Hoyt "83 Cy Young" on his own ball.

- Loaiza #21 on his own ball.

-Britt Burns on his own ball.

-Misc ball this year: Valentin on the sweet spot, Gary Peters, Hawk, DJ, Joey Cora, Ozzie, Rowand and Greg Walker.

12 autographs, 5 new balls. Also got some misc. Robin Ventura cards too. Fun weekend.

whitesoxwilkes
02-01-2004, 04:44 PM
My autograph tally:

Loaiza (who wears some of the greatest shirts I have ever seen)on a 2003 ASG ball
2 Lamarr Hoyt balls
Ball with Lee, Wunsch, Rowand, Crede and Loaiza (all from the Big Bar)
Joey Cora ball
Melton on the '73 SI cover

Also got pics with Cora, Loaiza and Baines. Good weekend all in all.

mike squires
02-01-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
My autograph tally:

Loaiza (who wears some of the greatest shirts I have ever seen)on a 2003 ASG ball
2 Lamarr Hoyt balls
Ball with Lee, Wunsch, Rowand, Crede and Loaiza (all from the Big Bar)
Joey Cora ball
Melton on the '73 SI cover

Also got pics with Cora, Loaiza and Baines. Good weekend all in all.

Sounds good Wilkes, expect for the Cora ball...use it for a chew toy for your dog....

Brian26
02-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Sounds good Wilkes, expect for the Cora ball...use it for a chew toy for your dog....

Ozzie and Cora were signing autographs at the same table today. I actually saw some people get Ozzie's signature and then walk right past Joey. Felt kinda sorry for him.

Maybe Wilkes just had an extra baseball and thought it would be cool to get one more signature on it.

My best find of the weekend came on Sunday when "Jeffrey Sports" was selling the black Big Stick bats and tubes for $20. Thought that was a great deal. I picked one up just to save for next year or maybe an autograph signing this summer.

Palehose13
02-01-2004, 07:06 PM
Although the actual fest was great, my favorite part was also the after hours. I believe I saw almost every player in the hotel and/or bar area and even got to have a mini conversation with a few. I was introduced to Kevin Hickey by someone who knew him and was able to tell them my "first game memory". I got his autograph that game. He was really great and every time he saw me after that he recognized me and was really nice.

I didn't get as many autographs as I could have, but my list is (and I never stood in line to get them nor "prey" on them in the lobby):

1985 road Jersey with "1985 AL ROY" Guillen autograph
Ozzie Guillen card
Harold Baines card
LaMarr Hoyt card
Esteban Loiaza card
Joey Cora card
Aaron Rowand card
and I know eveyone is jealous of this one:
Kenny Williams card

My favorite moment was running into Aaron Rowand by the restrooms around 1:30am Friday night. I think he was a little drinky (as was I) and needed a little help finding the men's room. He is a really funny guy. :D:

Brian26
02-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Reminds me of a funny moment on Friday night. I'm standing there next to some guy that's totally hammered, asking me if I'm affiliated with the Sox organization.

Bill Melton comes walking by with a drink, and this guy says "That Melton guy is a piece of ****!", somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

After he walks by, Melton turns around and says with a smile, "He sure is."

TornLabrum
02-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Reminds me of a funny moment on Friday night. I'm standing there next to some guy that's totally hammered, asking me if I'm affiliated with the Sox organization.

Bill Melton comes walking by with a drink, and this guy says "That Melton guy is a piece of ****!", somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

After he walks by, Melton turns around and says with a smile, "He sure is."

Melton spent a lot of time during SoxFest autographing his bobbleheads. Pete Powers from the Grandstand is donating a portion of his profit from each bobblehead sold to the WCSF.

mike squires
02-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Melton spent a lot of time during SoxFest autographing his bobbleheads. Pete Powers from the Grandstand is donating a portion of his profit from each bobblehead sold to the WCSF.

Hey Hal~Where is this bobble from? Is it new? Is he in red pinstripes? I'm not the biggest Melty fan but I'm gonna need some nfew ones to replace my Maggs and Konerko ones I have.

Brian26
02-01-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

I saw that bobblehead and assumed it was new. It's a neat piece. It's styled as one of the new action bobbleheads that Alexander Global started making last year. To describe it: it's Melton in the classic red pinstripe uni, throwing the ball from his knees. Very cool pose, great looking uni.

mike squires
02-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Damn, and where can these be purchased? Grandstand?

Brian26
02-01-2004, 10:52 PM
Right, Grandstand is basically selling them (very similar to the Jose Valentin bobble deal they have set up).

Iwritecode
02-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Well, I finally got back home, got the kids all settled in and had a chance to read through some of the posts I missed (but did hear about) while at the fest.

For me, this year turned out to be even better than last year.

First of all I have to say I had a great time and I had a blast meeting all the people I did from the boards including: Hangar18, Wilkes, Steff, Mickster, Brian26, JoePoe, TornLabrum and the friends and significant others they brought with. I even met a few people from Soxtalk. Hanging out in the bar talking until the wee hours of the morning was probably the most fun part of the whole weekend. I'm already looking forward to next year and hopefully a couple of games this season.

As far as the Q&A session on Friday night, it seems like most of the people that were there did a pretty good job of describing what really went on compared to what was written in the paper.

The only thing I really have to say are that I really have to admire KW for sitting up there and hearing our thoughts and frustrations. It's nice to be able to look him in the eye and tell him exactly what's on your mind. I understand a lot of what's happening itsn't his fault yet he can't remain completely blameless either. It seems like he really has a passion to make this team good and is really frustrated by the limits put on him by JR, yet is still trying to stay positive as much as possible. I'm kinda on the fence about his comment to "root for the team you have". On one hand, yes this is what we have and we might as well hope for the best, yet on the other hand, you have to wonder what could have been done differently that could have made the team better. We are Sox fans. It's in our nature to complain. Hope for the best, expect the worst...

Secondly, I know I'm beating a dead horse hear but if KW is telling the truth about the team running in the red the past few years, why don't they sell the team, take their money and laugh all the way to the bank? Meanwhile, maybe we'll get somebody in here that can invest a little more into the team and would be willing to take a few risks, knowing how high the rewards could be.

Anyway, I'll start a new post about how my weekend went...

Iwritecode
02-01-2004, 11:32 PM
OK, we got there a little later than I had wanted to on Friday night but overall had no problems. Got checked into our room and down to the opening ceremonies just before they started. I planned my schedule perfectly so that I was able to get into line early for the more "popular" guys, and had no problems getting into line a little later for others. I grabbed Crede and Harris first thing and then went into the Seminar. I saw the guys from "Crede's Crew" standing in line just behind me. The seminar is where I first met Hangar18 and Steff. Went to the bar a little later and met pretty much everyone I mentioned above. Rowand and Wunsch showed up later and I was able to talk to them a little bit. Rowand happened to notice my friend wearing a Bears jersey and said something along the lines of he must be a pretty good guy. I looked at him and said, "I won't tell you what other kind of jersey he likes to wear." Then he replies "If it's the one I'm thinking of, I remember the series being best of 7." :D:

Saturday morning I wandered down around 10:30 and got autographs and a picture with Hawk and DJ. Those two were probably the nicest and most talkative people I had sign all weekend. Really great guys. Then I got in line early for Loaiza. After getting his sig, I went right back around and was 3rd in line for Garland. Then I went up to the private session for C. Lee and Thigpen. Mrs. IWC momentarily blinded Lee when she snapped a picture of him before giving him any warning. He was just about to hand the ball back when the flash went off and he dropped the ball and it started rolling along the table. Oops. :cool:

Again hung out in the bar that night after grabbing a bite to eat. Almost all the players showed up that night with their wives/girlfriends. Got couple of more pictures and manged to embarrass Mrs. IWC (again) by getting Wunsch and Rowand to come over to the table and talk to them for a minute. I saw Cora dart past the table 2-3 times and managed to shake his hand and say 'hi' once. I believe he was probably the most over-looked person there. Considering he's only about 5'5", I can see why... Stayed until around 3AM and left soon after watching Rowand hug Loaiza and proclaim "I love you man!" I believe he'd had a few too many. :gulp:

I finished up the weekend by getting Guillen and Cora and then later Olivo and Rowand. Didn't buy too much besides some balls for the guys to sign and an authentic All-star game with Everett's name on the back. I plan on having a friend take that off and put Loaiza's name and number instead.

Well, that was my weekend. Obviously there were a few people there that I didn't get to meet and a few who weren't able to make it.

To those of you I missed, I hopefully I see you at the park sometime this summer!

voodoochile
02-02-2004, 12:06 AM
Just wanted to say sorry for missing everybody. I have been sick like a dog and the move has me busy. I really wanted to go down, but couldn't get there.

I'll have to catch you all at a game sometime this summer or maybe some of you can come to NC and check out some minor league ball. I am hoping people like ondafarm and NC_Sox_Fan will show me the ropes. :D:

Iwritecode
02-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Just wanted to say sorry for missing everybody. I have been sick like a dog and the move has me busy. I really wanted to go down, but couldn't get there.

I'll have to catch you all at a game sometime this summer or maybe some of you can come to NC and check out some minor league ball. I am hoping people like ondafarm and NC_Sox_Fan will show me the ropes. :D:

It's understandable. Not a problem with me. :smile:

One thing I am wondering about is did anyone meet up with HITMEN OF 77?

He was the one coming in from Washington and staying Thursday - Monday. Of the people I talked to, nobody had seen him. His last post was just before he left last week...

Hangar18
02-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

He was the one coming in from Washington and staying Thursday - Monday. Of the people I talked to, nobody had seen him. His last post was just before he left last week...

thats right.......... I never did meet him either

Maximo
02-02-2004, 08:34 AM
It's unfortunate that the Friday night Q/A session posed some difficult moments for people at the dais. However, it's been a long time coming and management has no one to blame but themselves.

I'm sure anyone who posed a tough question or even went as far as to 'catcall', would have wished it didn't have to come to that.
If Kenny took on the tough questions like a man, more power to him.

At the minimum, he got a reading on how the most passionate of fans truly feel. Maybe Kenny's mission statement for the future will now focus on trying to convince Reinsdorf to never put him in that position again. If that truly becomes a goal.....then this organization and its fans will all benefit from Soxfest 2004.

HITMEN OF 77
02-03-2004, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

I was there, but I didn't meet anyone whom I knew from the site. On Saturday morning I met a older guy named Jim who said he was on here (WSI), I can't remember his user name. I went up to the bar on Friday night, but was only there for a little bit. Sorry I didn't get to meet up with anyone except for Jim, so if your Jim "hi"

Soxfest was great fun. I got a lot of autographs, pictures taken, bought some stuff (too much) and look forward to going back for it next year. Minus my flight into Chicago and out of Chicago getting canceled and moved back 7 hours, it was a blast! I'm going to go to opening day in April so maybe some of us can meet up then.

StillMissOzzie
02-03-2004, 03:39 AM
A few of my SoxFest 2004 nuggets:

Friday, waited in the long line to get in. Me and the little guy (not too little anymore) went straight to Carlos Lee's line. After getting that autograph, went straight to the Aaron Rowand/Greg Walker line. An odd pairing, I thought. After that, we wandered around for a while, let the little guy go into the batting cage. We missed the fireworks at the seminar. Tried to get Gary Peters' autograph while he was at the Tuscon table, but by the time I found a GP card, they said he was done. "Nice waste of $2, Dad." My kid has Rowand & Lee's autographs on a baseball, Walker on a card. Said hello to TornLabrum at the WCSF booth.

Saturday, went alone. Went straight to the Loaiza line & got a bracelet. Then went to the Kelly Wunsch training academy, and got his autograph on a card when it was done. Got back into the Loaiza line, and he signed the All Star program w/ his picture on the cover. He suggested the silver ink, too. Got Willie Harris' autograph while he was in the Kid's room. Saw Lamarr Hoyt was signing at the Fox Sports Net table so I got him to sign a couple of cards, too. Then, a stroke of luck. Loaiza was at the Grandstand booth when I happened to be passing by, and I got him to sign another card. Damn, wish I had brought my All Star ticket stub! Saw Gary Peters in the hotel lobby, and he was gracious enough to sign the card I bought yesterday. Take that, punk! (meaning my son, NOT GP!) Went to the atrium bar and met Hangar18, Pinwheels, & Steff. ALL NICE FOLKS! Had a few beers and heard about the confrontational seminar of Friday. We went to the family fun fest, had some pizza & chips, and I stayed long enough to hear Black Jack play "She's a Woman" w/ the Beatles cover band. Couldn't stay long enough to get back to the atrium bar for the later get-together. NEXT YEAR!!!

Sunday, we headed straight to the '83 players table - Burns, Walker, Hickey, & Hoyt. ( Hangar, I was looking for you there. I had nothing else for Hoyt to sign & I knew you wanted that jersey autographed!) I went & bought a Hoyt rookie card and got cards signed by all 4. Kids (the little guy AND littler daughter this time) got baseballs signed by Walker & Hoyt, and Hickey, Walker, & Hoyt, respectively. I extorted them to get other cards signed for their mean old dad. Got Ken Williams to sign 2 cards while he talked to John Rooney at the ESPN AM 1000 table. Let both kids into the batting cage, and my son did the speed pitch. Then, got Miguel Olivo's autograph when he was in the kid's room.

As I mentioned to Pinwheels, I only want autographs when I get them myself. Half the reason is to tell them, in 10-20 seconds, why you want that autograph - because I enjoyed their play while with the Sox and any particular fond memories.
Final Autograph Tally:

Gary Peters card
Willie Harris card
Carlos Lee card (& son's ball)
Aaron Rowand card (" " " )
Kelly Wunch card
Lamarr Hoyt card x 3 (and both kid's balls)
Kevin Hickey card x 2 (and daughter's ball)
Esteban Loaiza card & All Star program
Greg Walker card x 3 (1 from '85 giveaway set, & daughter's ball)
Britt Burns card x 3 (" " " " " )
Ken Williams card x 2
Miguel Olivo card

All in all, I'd say we had a real nice time! It was nice to meet a few of you out there, and I got another pile of autographs.

SMO
:gulp:

ewokpelts
02-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
I was there, but I didn't meet anyone whom I knew from the site. On Saturday morning I met a older guy named Jim who said he was on here (WSI), I can't remember his user name. I went up to the bar on Friday night, but was only there for a little bit. Sorry I didn't get to meet up with anyone except for Jim, so if your Jim "hi"

Soxfest was great fun. I got a lot of autographs, pictures taken, bought some stuff (too much) and look forward to going back for it next year. Minus my flight into Chicago and out of Chicago getting canceled and moved back 7 hours, it was a blast! I'm going to go to opening day in April so maybe some of us can meet up then.

You can never buy too much. Unless you have the girlfriend naggina ya. She didnt understand that I was SAVING hundreds of dollars by not buying stuff last year(mostly ASG gear). Go figure.
Gene

Iwritecode
02-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77

You were there and we didn't see you? Man, that sucks. Your name was brought up both Friday and Saturday night.

The only person I know on this site named 'Jim' is Voodoo. He wasn't there so I know it wasn't him.

Glad to hear you had a good time. My wife has already suggested getting opening day tickets so it's possible that we can meet up then. :smile:

HITMEN OF 77
02-03-2004, 11:41 AM
I will type up a better story of what we did at Soxfest and my experience and post it on here later. I just really wish we could have all met up, but as you said maybe at opening day. :smile:

SoxxoS
02-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Now to the most important question-

So which player had the hottest wife/girlfriend?