PDA

View Full Version : Nothing like creating a buzz at Soxfest...

SoxOnTop
02-01-2004, 10:31 AM
We can't even get good PR at Soxfest!!!

Cheers, jeers and fears at SoxFest (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040131soxmain,1,791321.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Rex Hudler
02-01-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
We can't even get good PR at Soxfest!!!

Cheers, jeers and fears at SoxFest (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040131soxmain,1,791321.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Looks like a pretty accurate portrayal of what happened, from what I have heard. Why would you have a problem with this story?

SaltyPretzel
02-01-2004, 12:04 PM
Agreed. I don't see any problem with fans being passionate about their team.

SoxOnTop
02-01-2004, 12:16 PM
I agree, but I always thought that Soxfest was about getting some good PR. See the players, sign some autographs, a lot of "Rah Rah" for the fans before ST. We've had all winter to rag on the organizations inability to make any significant moves. I see this as the one weekend to have a dog and pony show and show a little optimism.

This article only points out the altercations and fan/management rift. It only serves to attack the organization, cutting them down durring their one fan friendly off-season event.

KingXerxes
02-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Pathetic.

soxrme
02-01-2004, 12:52 PM
So much of the media and radio guys are at that little thing called the Super Bowl. Why would we expect a lot of pr this weekeng? This is keeping the heat off JR.

CubKilla
02-01-2004, 12:56 PM
We've had all winter to rag on the organizations inability to make any significant moves.

And this is the first time all winter Sox fans can say to members of the White Sox Organization exactly how disgusted we are with all of the BS surrounding this Organization.

soxnut
02-01-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
Agreed. I don't see any problem with fans being passionate about their team.

There was alot of passion there on both sides. And it was great. Another thing, forget what you read in the papers. For those of you who get the impression that it was the Springer show, I think that is a terrible way to put it. It wasn't. There was alot of laughing a joking there. Media people are the worst to get a story from.

YeahSoxfest in a way is supposed to be a feel good pr type of program. But also, we are basically in a sports abyss right now. Not very much is going on, so while waiting for the baseball season to start, ans the fans need to have to have a big-name player come to the team every year, there will be frustrations that show.

We are all fans, the actual fans who go to games, watch on tv, or just follow when they can, as well as those running the team. All have passsion.

Lip Man 1
02-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Sox On Top says:

This article only points out the altercations and fan/management rift. It only serves to attack the organization, cutting them down durring their one fan friendly off-season event.

And the problem with this is?

Lip

SoxOnTop
02-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Sox On Top says:

And the problem with this is?

Lip

A Cub owned paper, highlighting only the confrontational questioning of the fanbase and the "snarling" of our general manager.

Of the many people on this site who talk about the Cub media bias in this town, how can you not see this article as another chip at the White Sox. At any fan gathering such as this with an open mic, you are going to find people questioning the organization. Why does that need to be the only part of the day that they report?

Viva Magglio
02-01-2004, 04:08 PM
I was at the Friday forum, and it was quite intense. However, it was not as chaotic as the media portrayed it. For instance, Doug Padilla said in his article that Ozzie Guillen got red-faced when he asked the audience about negativity. I was sitting in the second row on the left side, and Guillen did not seem red-faced to me. Furthermore, Padilla and his fellow beat writers were standing just a few feet from me along the left wall.

I have given up trying to figure out why the media treats us like this. I am not saying our organization does not deserve criticism when it is called for. We are hard on our own organization more than anybody. Nevertheless, the media treats the White Sox like crap.

First, they criticize us for having SoxFest on Super Bowl weekend. I believe this is at least the third SoxFest held on a Super Bowl weekend. I don't recall the media giving us a hard time the previous two times. But now they come after us. It's as if the White Sox organization is evil because they had the audacity to not kowtow to the great National Football League's big event.

I would say that the game of football is the third biggest reason the Super Bowl is popular. Gambling and commercials, in that order, supersede the game of football in fueling the Super Bowl's popularity. In fact, the NFL owes its very overall popularity to betting.

Then there's the Ozzie-Frank thing. Ozzie said at SoxFest that what he said about Frank applies not only to Frank but everyone on the roster. Yet, the media is intent on painting this as a soap opera and is eager to go to Tucson hoping to see sparks fly at spring training.

Of course, every time someone such as Kenny Williams calls the media on the carpet for their biased reporting, the media gets extremely defensive. The media, in its own warped mind, is omnipotent. This goes for beat writers, sports columnists, sports editors, and all the electronic sports media from reporters to talk show hosts. They sure love dishing out criticism but they sure as hell can't take criticism. Anyone who dares question their omnipotence is an imbecile to them. This is especially true with sports talk show hosts.

I bet that sometime this week, early, Dan Bernstein will rip KW for waging a terrorist attack against the media. I like Bernstein, and he is a very intelligent and entertaining host. However, he easily falls into this "media is omnipotent" trap.

I feel that we will never win against the media. They have become so biased in favor of the Cubs that a clear pro-Cubs/anti-White Sox bias exists. Don't tell me the Cubs being successful on the field or the Cubs having a bigger fan base than we have justifies them getting better media coverage. That is complete crap as far as I'm concerned.

Not every media member is biased like this. Some are actually pro-Sox like Fred Huebner, for example. Some others I consider 50-50 fair. I would even include Les Grobstein in this category. We all know how much a big Cub fan Les is, but I do think he covers us fairly. And he will rip the Cubs when they should be ripped. An obvious example of media members biased against us is Cubbie/Sosa-loving Jay Mariotti.

Brian26
02-01-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I was at the Friday forum, and it was quite intense. However, it was not as chaotic as the media portrayed it. For instance, Doug Padilla said in his article that Ozzie Guillen got red-faced when he asked the audience about negativity. I was sitting in the second row on the left side, and Guillen did not seem red-faced to me.

Ozzie's got the deepest colored tan skin of anyone at the event this weekend. How Padilla saw a change in color in his face is a mystery to me.

beckett21
02-01-2004, 06:00 PM
I can't believe we can't get a fair shake in this town, what with one paper owning the Cubs and the other one making the National Enquirer look like the New York Times...UNBELIEVEABLE!

Screw the media. The Sox make themselves look bad without any outside help.

Palehose13
02-01-2004, 06:04 PM
I was also at the Friday Seminar and I didn't think it was at all like a "Jerry Springer show" or a "Town meeting gone wrong". I gained a lot of respect for the five men up there because of how passionate they were. They could have easily tip-toed around questions or even left when the seminar was supposed to end. Was it reported anywhere that the Hyatt staff had to kick them offstage? Kenny wanted to face every fan that had a question. He wanted us all to get it off our chests. I appreciated that.

That seminar really got me thinking about what Hawk said about everything being one-sided. Since we know that there is somewhat of an anti-sox sentiment in the media, why do we believe every negative word? I hope that Hawk stays true to his word and give his side of things this year while broadcasting.

I left feeling optimistic and happy...and it isn't because of all the autographs and collectibles!

p.s. Aaron Rowand is an AWESOME guy! Spent some time with him in the bar...

Lip Man 1
02-01-2004, 11:50 PM
Sox On Top says:

How can you not see this article as another chip at the White Sox. At any fan gathering such as this with an open mic, you are going to find people questioning the organization. Why does that need to be the only part of the day that they report?

1. And it's a well deserved chip I assure you!

2. Because that Q & A was the key moment, the "highlight" (or "lowlight" depending on your point of view) of the evening. What do you want the media to report? "Ozzie Guillen signed 200 autographs before adoring fans..." "Mark Buehrle said that with his new contract there wouldn't any more St. Louis remarks." "Aaron Rowand said he thinks the Sox can win."

Big deal. Remarks like those are what you get at the Sox offical mouth organ, White Sox. com. Newspapers (and radio and TV) have to sell papers, get viewers and to do that (unfortunately in some cases) you have to report on controversy. But without question that was the most important moment of the evening. It was when members of the Sox organization had to sweat and try to placate a group of fans that are tired of the mediocre, cheap organization.

Lip

Brian26
02-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
But without question that was the most important moment of the evening. It was when members of the Sox organization had to sweat and try to placate a group of fans that are tired of the mediocre, cheap organization.
Lip

Nobody on stage was sweating.

Other than Steff and a few other people, most of the people asking questions were uniformed and ignorant. It'd be nice to see some people do their homework before making asses of themselves in front of Sox management.

I went to all 3 seminars with KW, and the same ignorant questions were asked about why Alomar and Everett chose to play for less money with other teams, and why naming rights money isn't being used to sign more talent.

Kenny answered every question in a classy, honest, detailed way.

It'd be nice if some people started coming out to Soxfest to see things go down within the context of the discussions instead of reading thirdhand accounts in slanted newspaper columns.

serena
02-02-2004, 01:25 AM
A Cub owned paper, highlighting only the confrontational questioning of the fanbase and the "snarling" of our general manager.

Of the many people on this site who talk about the Cub media bias in this town, how can you not see this article as another chip at the White Sox. At any fan gathering such as this with an open mic, you are going to find people questioning the organization. Why does that need to be the only part of the day that they report?

Seems to me the Tribune was a day late and a dollar short reporting on this. The Daily Herald and the Southtown ran articles that emphasized the confrontational nature of the Friday session. Direct your rage at all the outlets, if you prefer, but I am SO SICK of being told that Sox fans should blame problems on media coverage or the Cubs.

I didn't go, and I like what I've heard from people here about the electricity of the event. I just wish there was more time spent trashing the TWINS or the ROYALS or even the TIGERS than some team that doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot in terms of the Sox getting a shot at the brass ring!!!

(sorry, just got home late, and I'm just in an annoyed mood. The thing that really annoyed me about the coverage was that it because more about the Cubs and what the Sox said about the Cubs than it was the SOX, but the SOX contributed to that!!!! It makes me mad.)

Hangar18
02-02-2004, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Nobody on stage was sweating.

Other than Steff and a few other people, most of the people asking questions were uniformed and ignorant. It'd be nice to see some people do their homework before making asses of themselves in front of Sox management.

I went to all 3 seminars with KW, and the same ignorant questions were asked about why Alomar and Everett chose to play for less money with other teams, and why naming rights money isn't being used to sign more talent.

Kenny answered every question in a classy, honest, detailed way.

It'd be nice if some people started coming out to Soxfest to see things go down within the context of the discussions instead of reading thirdhand accounts in slanted newspaper columns.

Kenny answered every Question in as most CLassy way he could, I'll give him that. and he earned a lot of Respect because HE REALIZED HOW ANGRY SOX FANS ARE. Its not his fault (well, some of it is, keeping Manuel too long, Ritchie trade)
Bottom Line.......the Man Was very UNCOMFORTABLE UP THERE.
I could see it. Look at the SunTimes backpage pic from Saturday.
KW is looking defensive in that pic, which by the end of the seminar, he realized what was going on, He KNEW Reinsdorf make him the scapegoat, and was getting a DoubleBarreled Assault from the South SIde fans like no other fans would ever give a Management type person in public like that. GOD BLESS SOX FANS. I was soooooooooooooooooooo Proud to say to myself hey....Im a sox fan. the people stood up and voiced their displeasure, and I didnt have to bring a Sign, as if I were holding a CueCard at some tv game show. The People Spoke Friday Nite. Sure, there were a couple Innocent questions where the answer may have been a bit more obvious. But KW, representing the SOX a little better than JR would ever have, explained the reasoning as best he could. Most of the Answers WERE BS, but they were Answers we Knew Already, as the Media does also (though theyre Too Lazy to report it, exception to Brave and daring writers like Padilla). Bottom Line..........
Friday Nite was one of those nites that will live in news history, if you were lucky enough to have been there, to see the Spontaneous Combustion of Anger pent up in SOxFans that nite, you realized quickly that SOmething Special happened that evening. I was PROUD of SOXFANS that nite, MGMT got what they had coming to them. ANGER. Ive NEVER seen anything like that ever. people hooting at Mgmt, and hifiving and catcalling. Doing all the things you Wished and Imagine you could do.
The Media reported what happened. didnt make more or less of it. They reported . what an amazing and electric nite Friday Nite was. I saw Hawk on the escalator sat Nite, and he played the "straight" man for most of the Session that nite. I told him "hey, I know what you were trying to do, keep things lighthearted, but you have to Understand where WE were coming from. SOX fans Are PISSED and were tired of the BS. Were tired of the lying, the cheapness, SOX FANS want a Winner and we Deserve It. Pinwheels, who was right next to me, and can attest to what Hawk said "Godd**** that was something!" he said he told Kenny hes never seen More Passion in fans and that he Knew where we were coming from. bottom line is, he knew where we were coming from, and KW gets credit for this, let everyone "Get it all out, were not leaving". I just wonder if it will translate to something for us ..........

ewokpelts
02-02-2004, 07:13 AM
no matter how much kenny realized how passionate we are/can be...he can still bs....just try asking him about ticket prices....
Gene

Brian26
02-02-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
no matter how much kenny realized how passionate we are/can be...he can still bs....just try asking him about ticket prices....
Gene

LOL, I will give you that.

There were a few bs lines, I have to admit.

Hawk's line about Willie Harris being the fastest guy he's ever seen....come on!

Kenny's line on Friday night that we haven't raised ticket prices for the past 6 or 7 years...that got modified on Sat and Sunday to "we haven't raised them across the board for 5 or 6 yrs, although there were moderate increases in some tiered price ranges last year". ....don't they basically go up a little every year?

DJ's defending of Willie Harris on Sat after Steff's question was a bit of BS. He wasn't THAT highly touted in Baltimore's organization.

Hawk's line that our team, this year, has the best chance ever of matching the chemistry of the 1983 White Sox team. Huh? Come on. Total BS.

Most of the other answers were honest and classy, but there were some definite lines of BS coming out here and there.

ode to veeck
02-02-2004, 12:35 PM

Wish I could'a made it, but a trip from the left Coast just for Sox fest wasn't in the plan this year---and so the Cubune, Daily Herald, Southtown, and WS website coverage, plus the numerous detaild accounts of WSI attendees are much appreciated & served well to fill in those of us that couldn't make it on what sounds like a fairly interesting session ... the few dumb questions and sometimes inaccurate coverage notwithstanding

steff
02-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
DJ's defending of Willie Harris on Sat after Steff's question was a bit of BS. He wasn't THAT highly touted in Baltimore's organization.

Exactly! If he was so great why didn't they keep him? Bottom line.. I am so sick and tired of the White Sox being experiment central. Ozzie preeching "we're going to the series this year.. bla, bla, bla.." With Willie friggin Harris..? Oye ve!!

maurice
02-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by steff
If he was so great why didn't they keep him?

'Cause Baltimore saw an opportunity to get the great Chris Swingleton, and you have to give up talent to get talent.

thepaulbowski
02-02-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by steff
Exactly! If he was so great why didn't they keep him?

But we gave Baltimore the ever talented Chris Singleton for him!