PDA

View Full Version : Predictions

carusochop
01-31-2004, 07:37 PM
Since all the rosters are pretty well set, I was just wondering what everyone's predictions for next season were. Here's mine

AL West

1.Red Sox
2.Yankees
3.Orioles
4.Blue Jays
5.Devil Rays

AL Central

1.White Sox
2.Royals
3.Twins
4.Tigers
5.Indians

AL West

1.Angels
2.Athletics
3.Mariners
4.Rangers

NL East

1.Phillies
2.Marlins
3.Braves
4.Expos
5.Mets

NL Central

1.Astros
2.Cubs
3.Cardinals
4.Reds
5.Brewers
6.Pirates

NL West

1.D'Backs
2.Padres
3.Giants
4.Dodgers
5.Rockies

MRKARNO
01-31-2004, 07:45 PM
Your look pretty good except in the NL west. The Dodgers still have that pitching staff, regardless of their terrible offense. Dbacks, while gaining Sexson, lost Schilling. Padres havent done all that much to warrant that ranking and the Giants still have Barry Bonds and I've heard some better things about the rox.

This is clearly the most wide open division in baseball however and even the Rockies finishing first would not surprise me.

1. Giants
2. Diamondbacks
3. Dodgers
4. Rockies
5. Padres

But I expect 1-4 to be pretty close together. I'm really not among those who think the Padres will be good.

munchman33
01-31-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Your look pretty good except in the NL west. The Dodgers still have that pitching staff, regardless of their terrible offense. Dbacks, while gaining Sexson, lost Schilling. Padres havent done all that much to warrant that ranking and the Giants still have Barry Bonds and I've heard some better things about the rox.

This is clearly the most wide open division in baseball however and even the Rockies finishing first would not surprise me.

1. Giants
2. Diamondbacks
3. Dodgers
4. Rockies
5. Padres

But I expect 1-4 to be pretty close together. I'm really not among those who think the Padres will be good.

No way dude. The padres have the best offense in that division (better than the Giants, yes) and have a good mix of older and younger pitching. I'm picking them to win the west.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-31-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
No way dude. The padres have the best offense in that division (better than the Giants, yes) and have a good mix of older and younger pitching. I'm picking them to win the west.
Better than the new and improved Rockies offense featuring Royce the choice Clayton?

SoxFan76
01-31-2004, 08:12 PM
White Sox, Boston, A's

Astros, D-Backs, Phillies (don't think the Marlins can do it again)

WinningUgly!
01-31-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by munchman33

I agree, the Padres should be tough this year in the new ballpark. They have Klesko, Nevin & Hoffman coming back from their injuries & have added a ton of talent...Brian Giles, Jay Payton, Ramon Hernandez, Sterling Hitchcock, Ismael Valdes & David Wells.

doublem23
01-31-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
White Sox, Boston, A's

Astros, D-Backs, Phillies (don't think the Marlins can do it again)

Do what? They didn't win the division last year, either...

I'll probably make better predictions sometime in Spring Training, but here are mine for now. (Wild cards italicized)

AL EAST... Red Sox, Yankees , Orioles, Blue Jays, Devil Rays
CENTRAL... Royals, White Sox, Twins, Indians, Tigers
WEST... A's, Angels, Mariners, Rangers

NL EAST... Phillies, Marlins, Braves, Expos, Mets
CENTRAL... Astros, Cubs, Cardinals, Reds, Pirates, Brewers
WEST... Padres, Giants , Rockies, Dodgers, D'backs

ALDS ... Red Sox over Royals, Yankees over A's
NLDS ... Astros over Giants, Phillies over Padres

ALCS, NLCS... Yankees over Red Sox, Astros over Phillies

WORLD SERIES Astros 4, Yankees 1

MRKARNO
01-31-2004, 09:58 PM
I wont really believe in the Padres until they can show me that they can pitch. They havent shown me that based on what their pitchers did last year. Wells sucks and we all know it here. See what I mean when I say I wouldnt be surprised if any of the 5 win this division?

SouthSideHitman
01-31-2004, 10:15 PM
(I just posted this on another site, so this is like two for the price of one)

NL East
1. Phils - they've just gotten better and everyone else has gotten worse in the division
2. the Fish - they've lost some key players on the field and in the rotation
3. Bravos - the streak will be over
4. Expos - they will still be around .500 with a great infield but lack the pitching
5. Mets - still one of the worse teams money can buy

NL Central
1. 'Stros - they just improved themselves more this offseason and have better pitching (assuming the cubs don't get maddux).
2. flubbies - good additions but the 'pen is still weak and their #4 and 5 starters are weaker than the Houston's. Plus the Sianis' goat.
3. Cards - spinning their wheels, too little payroll flexibility to help themselves this year.
4. Reds - they tie for having the worst ownership with the Brewers. Decent lineup, no pitching.
5. Brewers - they made amazing moves considering their budget and will ship a lot of people off in July to beef up their minors, also they will no longer be run by a selig.
6. Bucs - lost their only 90+ RBI man in Reggie Sanders, are slashing payroll like druken accountants. Look for the best of the '03 Pirates winning the division in San Diego this year.

NL West
1. Padres - made a lot of smart moves and have some great youngsters on the way.
2. D'backs - They lost some pitching but have a lot of strong young arms, their kids can play.
3. Dodgers - they still got some arms and they'll get another bat before april 4 but ownership uncertainty cost them an offseason and a shot at Billy Beane. Can we still get PK and Valentin for Perez and Mota?
4. Giants - they've only regressed.
5. Rockies - the curse of Coors continues despite good minor league arms on the way.

NLDS
cubs over Padres
Phillies over Astros

NLCS
Phillies over flubs

AL East (it'll be toughest in the majors)
1. Carmines - They've lost little from baseball's best offense and added an all-star started and closer.
2. Yankees - Still VERY good with Shef, Vasquez and Brown, it'll be close.
3. D'Rays - they had a lot of good kids last year and added some good players (Tino, Cruz, etc) - they'll surprise.
4. Jays - a surprisingly good team last year who've made some key additions like Lilly, they have good balance.
5. O's - Failed with Vlad, got no pitching still, the AL East will not be a kind as they'd hoped.

AL Central
1. Sox - The Sox have the best pitching in the division and they're offense can mix it up with anyone. Crede and Olivo will both be improved and Jeremey Reed/Aaron Rowand will fill CF out nicely. If the Sox pitching holds out and Guillen brings a better atmosphere they'll take the division. Shingomania!
2. Royals - They made great moves this winter but did too little to address their 5+ team ERA. They will make it a dogfight in the Central and could still very well take the division if they keep playing over their heads.
3. Twinkies - Lost Everyday Eddie, Milton, Pierzynski and Hawkins and Stewart and Mauer just won't bring back enough magic.
4. Tribe - see: 2003
5. Les Tigres - a whole lot better than last year, but 20 more wins still leaves them with triple digt losses.

AL West
1. Angels - Escobar is overrated and they still got work to do in the rotation, but they've added one of the best players in the game and have a sick lineup. They'll be one of the best teams in baseball. I want Moreno on the Southside.
2. White Elephants - Billyball will finally fall short despite the A's having baseball's best rotation, they just won't be able to make up the loss of their offense in a tough division. Look out for Rich Harden.
3. M's - Made good moves in the offseason but just won't have it.
4. Rangers - The A Rod stuff won't help and they've lost Palmero and gone another offseason without signed a player for more than $2 million. Oh, and they have 0 pitching.

ALDS
Sox over Yankees
Red Sox over Angels

ALCS
Red over White

World Series
Phillies over Red Sox

MRKARNO
01-31-2004, 10:54 PM
I stand corrected on the Padres' pitching staff. 4 starters who had about an ERA of 4 last year will help them, but the fact that while none had much more than four, none had much less than four. Can their young pitchers progress? And can their offense get back on track? Last year their hitters werent that great based on what they'd been doing before. I want to see better numbers next year from their hitters and better pitching from their young pitchers before I'd predict them 1 or 2 in this division.

It's pretty popular to assume the Giants wont be as good. This assumption is wrong. Their bullpen is damn good. Their starting staff is in general young and improving. They still have the best player in the history of baseball: Barry Bonds. Grissom aint all that bad. They replaced santiago with Pierzynski. Aurellia and Jose Cruz werent all that great anyways and they have one of the strongest minor league systems in baseball. I still think this team is good for at least 90 wins. It's a question of whether or not the Diamondbacks' offense is gonna be really improved with Sexson and if they can get over the departure of schilling. It's also a question of whether the Dodgers will actually be able to hit at all or to pitch the way they did last season. I am more confident in the Giants than either of those teams and I think it's ludicrous to think that the Padres are going from worst to first in one year, especially when they havent done a ton in the offseason except make pointless trades with the A's.

The Rockies are never gonna have a good pitching staff. So what did they do? Sign Castilla and Burnitz who will play to the strengths of Coors Field. Their offense is going to be VERY good next year, but I think that they can be better than what the Rangers have done lately. I think that they could easily be the surprise of this division and go .500, which would be an accomplishement.

1. Giants
2. Diamondbacks
3. Rockies
4. Dodgers
5. Padres

Chisox_cali
01-31-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

CENTRAL... Royals, White Sox, Twins, Indians, Tigers

Hey I thought you were Mr. "The Royals Suck"

What happened?

Chisox_cali
01-31-2004, 11:27 PM
kind of early, but I'll make mine

AL

East - Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles, D-Rays
Central - White Sox, Royals, Twins, Indians, Tigers
West - A's, Angels, M's, Rangers
Wild Card - Red Sox

NL

East - Phillies, Marlins, Braves, Mets, Expos
Central - Astros, Cubs, Cardinals, Reds, Brewers, Pirates
West - Rockies, Giants, Dodgers, Padres, D'Backs
Wild Card - Cubs

What the hell? World Series: Cubs vs. White Sox. Bring It :smile:

chisox06
02-01-2004, 12:31 AM
Heres My Take

AL

East-Yanks, RedSox, O's, Blue Jays, Devil Rays

Central-White Sox, Royals, Twins, Indians, Tigers

West-Angels, A's, Mariners, Rangers

Wild Card-Red Sox

NL
East-Phillies, Braves, Mets, Marlins, Mets

Central-Astros, Cubs, Cardinals, Pirates, Reds, Brewers

West-Giants, D-Backs, Dodgers, Padres, Rockies

Wild Card-Cubs

ALDS Yanks over White Sox
Angles over Red Sox
ALCS Yanks over Angels

NLDS Astros over Giants
Phillies over Cubs
NLCS Astros over Phillies

WS Yanks over Astros 4-3

Dadawg_77
02-01-2004, 12:41 AM
AL

East-RedSox, Yankees , Blue Jays, O's, Devil Rays
Red Sox win the East but will fall in the playoffs.

West- A's, Angels, Rangers, Mariners

Toughest divison in Baseball. The Rangers will suprise people this year.

Wild Card-Yankees

Didn't pick the Central becuase I don't want to kinx anything

NL
East- Phillies, Marlins, Mets, Braves
The Braves stangle hold on the divisional crown ends this year.

Central-Astros, Cards, Cubs, Pirates, Reds, Brewers
Since I took Mark Prior in the fanatsy draft, his elbow blows out in the first month.

West- Padres, D-Backs, Dodgers, Giants, Rockies
The Giants rely on Bonds way to much.

Wild Card - Marlins

yadosoxfan
02-01-2004, 01:07 AM
here's my thoughts...

AL east: yankees, red sox, orioles, blue jays, devil rays
~by far the toughest division

AL central: SOX, royals, twins, tigers, tribe
~if the sox finally learn how to beat the lower teams, they win this division easily

AL west: A's, Angels, M's, rangers
~Angels spend big but fall short to the pitching strong A's

NL east: Phils, Braves, Mets, Marlins, Expos
~pudge will be missed in florida

NL central: Astros, Cubs, Cards, Reds, Brewers, Pirates
~cubs keep it close, but 'stros are just better overall

NL west: Giants, Padres, Dodgers, Dbacks, Rockies
~the giants always seem to be there in the end, and barry is always the one leading the way

Division series:
yankees over white sox
red sox over A's
Giants over Phils
Astros over Braves

Championship series:
Yankees over sox
Astros over Giants

WS: Astros over Yankees

DSpivack
02-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Why do most people think the White Sox have a good shot at winning the division?

I understand the improvement of the Royals and the regression of the Twins, but I just can't see this team doing very well.

On the other hand, I guess they are only favorites by default, since even with all of the FA losses they are still the best team on paper.

Man is this division gonna suck, or what?

I won't be surprised if the AL Central winner wins all of 85 games.

MRKARNO
02-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Predictions:

AL east:
1. Red Sox
2. Yankees
3. Blue Jays
4. Devil Rays
5. Orioles

Note: I expect that the D-rays and Orioles will be pretty close

AL Central:

1. White Sox
2. Royals
3. Twins
4. Indians
5. Tigers.

AL West:

1. Angels
2. Mariners
3. A's
4. Rangers

Note: Oakland seems too much like the 2004 version of the 2003 Dodgers, but with a not so great bullpen and a slightly better offense.

NL east:

1. Phillies
2. Marlins
3. Braves
4. Expos
5. Mets

Note: The Marlins lost Pudge and their closers, that's about it. They still have their sparkplugs, Pierre and Castillo. Mark Redman is gone and Dontrelle probably wont be as good. The upshot: Aj Burnett will be back and Beckett and Burnett could turn out being the biggest surprise 1-2 punch this year, possibly better than 2 of the big 3 in Oakland or Mussina-Brown in New Yawk.

NL Central:

1. Astros
2. Cubs
3. Cards
4. Brewers
5. Reds
6. Pittsburgh

NL West.

1. Giants
2. Diamondbacks
3. Rockies
4. Dodgers