PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Soxfest Thread 1-31-2004

DrCrawdad
01-31-2004, 02:58 PM
Any reports from today's fest? Did Kenny Williams & Ozzie show-up for the 1:30-2:15 "Your Chicago White Sox" segment?

Did Kenny announce that the Sox had signed Greg Maddux to a two-year contract?

jabrch
01-31-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Any reports from today's fest? Did Kenny Williams & Ozzie show-up for the 1:30-2:15 "Your Chicago White Sox" segment?

Yeah, and Pudge too...

Daver
01-31-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Yeah, and Pudge too...

Pudge retired.

CubKilla
01-31-2004, 03:33 PM

LOL! I'm still waiting on that one too.

jabrch
01-31-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Pudge retired.

VERY GOOD POINT

koch44
01-31-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Pudge retired.

The wanna-be Pudge is still a free agent. :)

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-31-2004, 05:30 PM
--^ Nope. He's signed with the Tigers, 4 years $40 million. Option on the 5 year for $10 million. Press conference will be on Monday.

Edit: Now it appears Boras is saying it's only a "verbal" agreement. ! (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1724012)

Deadguy
01-31-2004, 06:04 PM

He's currently too busy, since he's working behind the scenes in a bidding war with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays to obtain the services of Scott Erickson. He wants to get this finalized before the end of Soxfest for obvious reasons.

soxwon
01-31-2004, 06:27 PM
ok ive heard the storys of fans retaliating verbally against Management, but tell me how are the Lines for autographs, anyone talk to any players?
were there any Flub fans present?
whos going to see TWIST n Shout tonight in the bar?

Brian26
01-31-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
ok ive heard the storys of fans retaliating verbally against Management, but tell me how are the Lines for autographs, anyone talk to any players?
were there any Flub fans present?
whos going to see TWIST n Shout tonight in the bar?

Lines for autographs seem to be about the same as usual, although I did talk to a few vendors who say the crowds this year seem really low based on not having any really big name players lined up for autographs (i.e. Frank, Mags). One vendor said he wished they'd make an attempt to get Fisk back to help increase sales.

Didn't really see any Flub fans, although I saw plenty of Flub "Choke" hats.

The seminar with KW, Hawk, DJ, Cora and Ozzie was good today, but not quite as intense or passionate as last night's. They basically opened it up to questions right off the bat. Steff was first in line and asked about filling the 2nd base hole that still seems to be a problem after the loss of Durham. DJ rattled off the resume of Willie Harris in the minors and in the O's organization.

There were some great questions, and then there were some completely ignorant questions- like the guy asking why the Sox can't use the money from the naming rights to sign more players. Anyone who's done their homework knows about the ISFA and where the money has to go. There were a lot of stupid questions about Alomar and Everett "signing for less with other teams". Again, anyone who does their homework knows that it wasn't Kenny's fault. If KW offered these guys arbitration, they'd be here for $8 million dollars a piece. The reason these guys went to other teams for less is because their agents took a gamble and loss. That's not something that KW should be blamed for.

Fisk72
01-31-2004, 06:51 PM
I went to the 11:00 autograph session with Billy Pierce, Gary Peters, Black Jack, and Lamarr. I got down there at about 10:02 and was probably 425 of the 450 they allowed to get in! Luckily it all went well despite me needing to go to the bathroom after waiting for about 3 hours until it was my turn. This was my first first time going to Sox Fest and even getting an autograph like this, so I was quite surprised at the stupidity of people who didn't have their stuff ready to be signed when they got up there despite the constant announcements by the moderators (so that the line would continue to move). Other than that, I had a great time last night and today.

manuelsucks
01-31-2004, 08:48 PM
This was my second Sox Fest. I went I think 3 or 4 years ago and got Ray Durham and James Baldwin's signature. This year I wasn't able to get anyone's signature, because of the lines, but I was still good. Some cool vendors. I am excited because I ordered an Esteban Loaiza jersey, but with the '83 season style. The guy told me about a month....that should be pretty sweet. :D: I was also able to snag a Flub hat that says "Choked" Well worth the 10 dollar investment.

I was able to make it to the Q & A. That was really sweet to have direct access to the "boss." Plus having Hawk there was cool. I have a little more respect for KW after hearing him. Like it was said before, there were some good questions, and some stupid questions, like the flub wannabe asking about turning the south side into a north side type place. Personally I think it's a good idea, but wrong time to discuss. Also, I like his answer when someone asked about trading Mags to the Dodgers "Mags and Carlos aren't going anywhere." The Sox would be killing themselves if they got rid of them. It was very interesting to hear what they had to say about other stuff. I wish they'd do something like that every month! Guillen excites me. He's got this flare, but seems like he can be a little too cocky. This should be an interesting season...

Brian26
01-31-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by manuelsucks
I was also able to snag a Flub hat that says "Choked" Well worth the 10 dollar investment.

Especially for the guy who sold it to you since they look like they cost about a buck to produce. Nice 9 dollar profit based on our hatred of the north side. :D:

Lip Man 1
01-31-2004, 09:40 PM
Congratulations Steff! You've made the "official" Sox site:

The mood for the seminar was quickly established when the woman who had the first question stepped to the microphone and told Williams, "I'm not going to be as mean as I was last night." Williams quickly countered.

"Before you get started, seriously, the perception is that it was a mean, Jerry Springer session," Williams said of Friday. "I didn't take it that way and I didn't believe it was the case. I've been in town a long time and I understand your passion. I feel the same darn way."

It was an afternoon without anything close to an incident from the first question through the 20th, as time expired on the seminar.

Lip

soxwon
01-31-2004, 09:53 PM
were there any good bargains on tshirts or jerseys? im going tommorow and they usually cut prices quite a bit on sundays.

mike squires
01-31-2004, 09:53 PM
how was the garae sale this year? Any good stuff? Old Comiskey seats? Bricks? Blue seats? It would be nice for Fisk to be here in the future. I don't think he really enjoys these types of gatherings. He wasn't there for the 83 reunion on the field but I think he showed up at the dinner. I would absoultly love his signiature on my 83 od comiskey autograph seat. I wonder if he participates in any of the baseball card show conventions.

whitesoxwilkes
02-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
how was the garae sale this year? Any good stuff? Old Comiskey seats? Bricks? Blue seats? It would be nice for Fisk to be here in the future. I don't think he really enjoys these types of gatherings. He wasn't there for the 83 reunion on the field but I think he showed up at the dinner. I would absoultly love his signiature on my 83 od comiskey autograph seat. I wonder if he participates in any of the baseball card show conventions.

The woman and I got a little nutty at the garage sale, here's what we walked away with:

Kris:
Belle jersey ($10)
Art Kushyner's bullpen jacket ($50)

Wilkes:
Brian West's uni from Turn Back The Clock Day (never worn) $100
Gameworn Sandy Alomar BP pullover..perfect for golf ($50)
Pete Ward game work hat ($10)
2 bricks from Old Comiskey ($20 each)

steff
02-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Congratulations Steff! You've made the "official" Sox site:

The mood for the seminar was quickly established when the woman who had the first question stepped to the microphone and told Williams, "I'm not going to be as mean as I was last night." Williams quickly countered.

"Before you get started, seriously, the perception is that it was a mean, Jerry Springer session," Williams said of Friday. "I didn't take it that way and I didn't believe it was the case. I've been in town a long time and I understand your passion. I feel the same darn way."

It was an afternoon without anything close to an incident from the first question through the 20th, as time expired on the seminar.

Lip

Oye ve!! I thought about going up there with a little white flag and saying "peace..?"
Honestly, It was so not as bad as it was made out to be guys..

Brian26
02-01-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
The woman and I got a little nutty at the garage sale, here's what we walked away with:

Kris:
Belle jersey ($10)

Wilkes:

I bought the very last copy of "Strength Down the Middle- The Story of the 1959 Sox". Amazon.com reviews weren't very positive, but I'll give it a read and let you guys know if it's good. ($10, by the way).

mike squires
02-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes

Kris:
Belle jersey ($10)

Wilkes:

Belle jerzey?! Was it game worn? Either way for 10 bucks that was a hell of a deal!!!

Brian26
02-01-2004, 07:23 PM
Belle jerzey?! Was it game worn? Either way for 10 bucks that was a hell of a deal!!!

I saw an autographed Belle jersey for $450. Autographed Belle balls went for $40.

Big Frank and Mags game worn jerseys were marked around $750.

whitesoxwilkes
02-01-2004, 08:16 PM

Nope. She's taking it to Grandstand to get the Belle lettering off and put someone else on instead.

TommyJohn
02-01-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by steff
Oye ve!! I thought about going up there with a little white flag and saying "peace..?"
Honestly, It was so not as bad as it was made out to be guys..

You mean the Chicago sports media blew something out of
proportion? Shocker.

Hangar18
02-02-2004, 04:06 PM
I kind of went nutty in there also.

Myself
Bought one of those dugout jackets (ive always liked them,
have the stripes on the shoulders, whereas new jackets have that collar on them now) $65

Bought 2 SOX practice jerseys $20 each.
one had Manuels #10 on it (he wont need it) for my little cousin
Niece got the one without a number.

Brian26
02-02-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Bought 2 SOX practice jerseys $20 each.
one had Manuels #10 on it (he wont need it) for my little cousin
Niece got the one without a number.

Manuel was #7.

Trying to remember who #10 was. Was it Bruce Kimm?

Brian26
02-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Actually, looking at my signature...I can answer my own question. :D:

Hangar18
02-02-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Manuel was #7.

Trying to remember who #10 was. Was it Bruce Kimm?

Oops, I meant my cousin got the #7 jersey, not the #10
though we did see that one sitting there