PDA

View Full Version : Thomas always asked to be leader, why not Maggs?

BeerHandle
01-31-2004, 02:00 PM
The media always says that Frank isn't the team leader, but why doesn't anyone say this about Maggs. He gets paid the most and isn't ever asked to take on a team leader role.

Any thoghts?

Deadguy
01-31-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
The media always says that Frank isn't the team leader, but why doesn't anyone say this about Maggs. He gets paid the most and isn't everyone asked to take on a team leader role.

Any thoghts?

Good point. Magglio doesn't talk much, but he may get a pass because his English may not be that great.

I honestly think if Thomas weren't on the team, Magglio would suddenly take on the role of scape goat from the media and the fans.

jabrch
01-31-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
The media always says that Frank isn't the team leader, but why doesn't anyone say this about Maggs. He gets paid the most and isn't everyone asked to take on a team leader role.

Any thoghts?

A) Frank has been here longer

B) Frank is the one who opens his mouth more often

voodoochile
01-31-2004, 02:19 PM
He's too damn busy running around popups so he can do his slide catch and look pretty.

I just hope he puts up contract year numbers. I am glad he is playing winter ball, he should come in with good timing and get off to a hot start.

BeerHandle
01-31-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
A) Frank has been here longer

B) Frank is the one who opens his mouth more often

Who cares if Frank has been here longer? Isn't be said it is Magglio's team? Maggs has been in the big leagues for a number of years now. Frank wa asked to take on this role early in his career.

I like Maggs, but come on! Add some value to your huge contract!!

oldcomiskey
01-31-2004, 02:38 PM
Another thing youre not considering is this---Frank is the most prolific hitter in team history---he therefore should lead the younger players like maggs--he is also the most tenured member of the club--the elder statesman if you will

voodoochile
01-31-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
Another thing youre not considering is this---Frank is the most prolific hitter in team history---he therefore should lead the younger players like maggs--he is also the most tenured member of the club--the elder statesman if you will

Maggs is what, 28? He is a 2-time All-Star and has been in the league 5 years? How much leadership does this guy need? When does he start taking the younger guys under his wing and leading?

oldcomiskey
01-31-2004, 02:46 PM
voodoo you missed My point----the way i read the post is why shouldnt Maggs be the team leader INSTEAD of Frank-----I see nothing wrong with two team leaders--but it should be Frank's job AND Magglios too to lead this team without someone suggesting it

voodoochile
01-31-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
voodoo you missed My point----the way i read the post is why shouldnt Maggs be the team leader INSTEAD of Frank-----I see nothing wrong with two team leaders--but it should be Frank's job AND Magglios too to lead this team without someone suggesting it

Okay, I read it as why doesn't Magglio catch more grief for not doing his part to lead the team? I guess he did have that T-shirt made up last year. Clearly he is cursed as a leader. Maybe he should just play baseball... :D:

I read it as, "Why does Frank get singled out when there other guys who are in a similar situation who aren't catching grief?"

Paulwny
01-31-2004, 03:10 PM
I think this "team leader" stuff is overated. Why does a team need a leader, isn't that the manager's job?
The "Battling A's" of Jackson, Rudi, Bando, etc, etc didn't need a team leader. They all disliked each other.
Talent wins not some rah, rah guy in the dugout.

depy48
01-31-2004, 03:12 PM
Who'd you rather have as the team leader, Frank or Mags. Although this is a tough choice, I'd say Frank. Partially because i think he responds well to a leadership role, and partially because he has been the representation of the whitesox since the early 90's.