PDA

View Full Version : Doug Padilla on Soxfest fireworks

TommyJohn
01-31-2004, 06:35 AM
Doug Padilla has an article about the fireworks at SoxFest.
He writes of a "female fan" who wondered why the Sox let
it be known that Thomas wasn't returning calls. Was that
Steff, or any ladies on here?

He also wrote that Ozzie Guillen asked "why are you so
negative?"

www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-sox31.html

PaleHoseGeorge
01-31-2004, 07:40 AM
Wow, this is not good. The fans are upset with the front office and now the front office is shooting back? Exactly who do the Sox expect to sit in the seats? I'm guessing they aren't expecting Cubs fans because they took shots at them, too.

Frank as scapegoat. Alomar's agent as scapegoat. Marriotti as scapegoat. This is pathetic. Does anybody in the front office have a clue? They're pissing off the remaining members of what used to be a large group, Sox Fans.

If this is the best they can do they shouldn't even have a SoxFest. I'm guessing that's why they stopped the winter caravan, too?

:reinsy
"Promote the ballclub? Bah! What's the point with all you negative Sox Fans!"

:KW
"Boss, next year let's just skip the Q&A and charge Sox Fans $5 to buy a copy of our official press release comments."

:ozzie:
"That's right. These fans are too negative. Let's find some new ones that aren't negative and everything will be fine."

Wsoxmike59
01-31-2004, 08:56 AM
Fireworks at Soxfest Q & A (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/311sd1.htm)

The Daily Southtown's Joe Cowley has a similar article in this morning's paper. Sounds like the Sox fans really let 'em have it last night. I wish I could've been there.

Hangar18
01-31-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
Doug Padilla has an article about the fireworks at SoxFest.
He writes of a "female fan" who wondered why the Sox let
it be known that Thomas wasn't returning calls. Was that
Steff, or any ladies on here?

He also wrote that Ozzie Guillen asked "why are you so
negative?"

www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-sox31.html

Im on the way out the door, but YES, it was Steff.
I had asked when Mgmt was going to start treating the
fans better, but probably shouldve asked that to JR himself.
However Steff got up and asked Ozzie why he would make comments like that about Frank, and they should keep it private, makes Frank look bad to the fans, and that she didnt want to hear any of it, Ozzy started to say he didnt get mad at Frank
when Kenny wanted to jump in on the answer. Hilarious because then Steff told Kenny to hang on she wasnt
finished.....and the crowd Roared.

Their answers were straightforward though ......KW said he only answered that way because it was a straightforward question
and he didnt want to lie. KW deserves some Credit for taking all of the "negativity" because Fans Were Brutal! People would ask questions like why are you blaming the Fans, why is it tied to attendance, KW would answer, and there were CatCalls
from the audience which would Prompt more CatCalls and Cheering. They were getting uncomfortable up there after a while, and I felt bad a bit for KW, because JREINSDORF shouldve been the one up there, not him. KW for his part, told everyone to keep on asking the questions, he said he wanted everyone to "let it all out, come on". Looked like he was ready to fight people, he was tense. He did say something that got the crowd totally on his side, and everyone cheered.
He said he understood the frustrations, and in veiled reference, his Hands are Tied (by you know who) and that to Please Cheer for "what we do have". these are your whitesox, comeon he implored the audience and got a Nice Reaction. it was very heartfelt, and I thought the guy was going to cry up there, he was frustrated and taking a beating up there by the fans for JR's Mistakes/Gaffes

Hangar18
01-31-2004, 09:04 AM
Make no mistake about it. I didnt get to make my sign,
but I DIDNT NEED TO. FANS THIS TIME AROUND ASKED
ALL THE QUESTIONS WE WANTED ASKED. People didnt just
ask questions, some guys were yelling into the mike, and
catcalls were hurled from the audience, prompting CHeers fromthe crowd. Ozz, KW, Hawk,DJ, and Hahn were on the
stage, and the questions were blistering. IT WAS EXCELLENT.
think that made SoxFest for me. and the new Maggs
jersey i bought. more on SoxFest later.........

mike squires
01-31-2004, 10:36 AM
Hanger, you should have waited and got it for half off next year when he is no longer with the team!!! :D:

mike squires
01-31-2004, 10:37 AM
Keep the updates coming everyone. I love to hear them. Sounded like you guys are having a blast.

Soxfest
01-31-2004, 11:42 AM
fOR og TO ASK WHY PEOPLE ARE NEG IS A JOKE ONLY THING SOX have done is hire a manager way over his head sor :angry: ry if the panel has to answer questions once a year cry for the panel :angry:

CubKilla
01-31-2004, 11:49 AM
I saw on the news that JR was there. I know he wasn't on the panel, but if he was anywhere within earshot when KW was getting shelled I hope a few fans would have let him have it too. I know he was standing in back surrounded by security during a few of the Q & A's last year. He's the real culprit in this mess..... not that KW is blameless.

34 Inch Stick
01-31-2004, 12:19 PM
All of this begs the question of where is your PR flack, Rob Gallas. This is a feel good event that is turning and the person who should be overseeing the entire event is not interjecting himself. I know of absolutely no reason why that man has a job.

voodoochile
01-31-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
All of this begs the question of where is your PR flack, Rob Gallas. This is a feel good event that is turning and the person who should be overseeing the entire event is not interjecting himself. I know of absolutely no reason why that man has a job.

:gallas
"It's lovely this time of year in downtown Houston. Go you Panthers!"

jeremyb1
01-31-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Wow, this is not good. The fans are upset with the front office and now the front office is shooting back? Exactly who do the Sox expect to sit in the seats? I'm guessing they aren't expecting Cubs fans because they took shots at them, too.

I can't blame KW for getting frustrated with some of the questions. Why is he expected to answer questions about ticket prices? Last time I checked the GM had nothing to do with ticket prices and there he is expected to answer venemous questions on the subject.

As far as making Frank's situation public, as I see it KW's only other option would be to lie outright. It's not as though he called a press conference to announce Frank hasn't been returning phonecalls. The press asks him "What have you heard from Frank this offseason?" and he simply tells them the truth instead of saying "Frank's doing real well, we've talked several times."

beckett21
01-31-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I can't blame KW for getting frustrated with some of the questions. Why is he expected to answer questions about ticket prices? Last time I checked the GM had nothing to do with ticket prices and there he is expected to answer venemous questions on the subject.

As far as making Frank's situation public, as I see it KW's only other option would be to lie outright. It's not as though he called a press conference to announce Frank hasn't been returning phonecalls. The press asks him "What have you heard from Frank this offseason?" and he simply tells them the truth instead of saying "Frank's doing real well, we've talked several times."

"If you can't stand the heat..." :whiner:

Sure they hung Kenny out to dry. Surely JR can't take the blame, can he??

dickallen15
01-31-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

He could have simply said he hasn't been able to contact Frank, instead of saying Frank isn't returning his calls. As far as ticket prices go, you're right, he has nothing to do with ticket prices, but unfortunately he is the one the organization trots out there, so he is going to have to take the heat. Its funny Kenny likes to "be honest" when it comes to making Frank look like the bad guy, but when the report that the Sox agreed to send Magglio to Boston if the ARod trade went down, although the report was "honest", Kenny thought it was "unfortunate" that it came out.

34 Inch Stick
01-31-2004, 01:12 PM
The General Manager of the Organization manages generally. From Popcorn sales to million dollar contracts he is where the buck stops. He does have people below him but, just like Daley with the truck scandal, he is answerable for all operations.

Lip Man 1
01-31-2004, 02:18 PM
As Rich King said in his interview Williams knew what he was getting into when he took the job. Shed no tears for him. (althought I think he wants to win badly, perhaps the only guy in the upper organization to whom winning is a passion.)

Personally I'm glad the organization is getting "uncomfortable," they'll be even more uncomfortable if this team gets off to a slow start and by June the park resembles a ghost town.

Lip

joecrede
01-31-2004, 02:33 PM
Reading the articles in the paper about the KW seminar makes me embarrassed to be a part of the fandom. The questioners sound like the goofs who make up the majority of sports talk callers -- only 10-times worse.

Lip Man 1
01-31-2004, 02:38 PM
Why Joe because those fans have a passion for winning and are tired of being kicked around by their own organization?

If the fans were the only ones who got rude then I would agree with you but according to the newspaper stories Williams lost his temper as well.

And let's not forget the owner telling fans to "shut up," at a Sox Town Hall meeting a few years ago. A move that was so blatently stunning that it made Sports Illustrated. Now that's a "fan friendly" organization.

Lip

joecrede
01-31-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Why Joe because those fans have a passion for winning and are tired of being kicked around by their own organization?

If the fans were the only ones who got rude then I would agree with you but according to the newspaper stories Williams lost his temper as well.

And let's not forget the owner telling fans to "shut up," at a Sox Town Hall meeting a few years ago. A move that was so blatently stunning that it made Sports Illustrated. Now that's a "fan friendly" organization.

Lip

Lip, it's called common courtesy. There's nothing wrong with tough questions, but when they are not posed in a respectful manner that's when the questioner crosses the line in my opinion.

This from the Sun-Times:

When one young adult fan started a question about raised ticket prices by stating he was a recent college graduate with a new job but still on a tight budget, Williams fired back: ''Good for you. What is your question?''

Should Williams have said, "many ticket prices have been lowered"? Maybe, but who can blame him for his response to a question that's premise is flat-out wrong.

As far as the Reinsdorf comment goes, I was at that meeting, and when Reinsdorf said that the room applauded. The "questioner" was completely out of line and wouldn't let Reinsdorf respond to his attack.

gosox41
01-31-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Reading the articles in the paper about the KW seminar makes me embarrassed to be a part of the fandom. The questioners sound like the goofs who make up the majority of sports talk callers -- only 10-times worse.

Seeing the product the team puts on the field makes me embarassed to be a part of the fandom. I'm glad people spoke up. I'm sick and tired of all this.

Bob

voodoochile
01-31-2004, 03:11 PM
Lip, it's called common courtesy. There's nothing wrong with tough questions, but when they are not posed in a respectful manner that's when the questioner crosses the line in my opinion.

Wouldn't it be nice if all of us never allowed our emotions to dictate our actions? GMAB! The Sox deserve the vitrol they are receiving. It's about damned time...

jeremyb1
01-31-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
He could have simply said he hasn't been able to contact Frank, instead of saying Frank isn't returning his calls. As far as ticket prices go, you're right, he has nothing to do with ticket prices, but unfortunately he is the one the organization trots out there, so he is going to have to take the heat. Its funny Kenny likes to "be honest" when it comes to making Frank look like the bad guy, but when the report that the Sox agreed to send Magglio to Boston if the ARod trade went down, although the report was "honest", Kenny thought it was "unfortunate" that it came out.

The offseason is a long time. I think it would still be obvious that their lack of contact was by choice.

CubKilla
01-31-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Seeing the product the team puts on the field makes me embarassed to be a part of the fandom. I'm glad people spoke up. I'm sick and tired of all this.

Bob

Exactly. I can't believe Sox fans blame other Sox fans for JR's 20+ years of complete ineptitude when it comes to a baseball franchise in a two baseball franchise town.

duke of dorwood
01-31-2004, 03:52 PM
The panel deserved every comment and the rath of the fans. They should be in tune with the fans enough to have expected it. For Williams to make that smart ass comment to that fan demonstrates the stench of this organization. A classless remark, by a classless guy in way over his empty head.

A salute to Steff and all the fans that apparently spoke for me and my feelings about this very ordinary team and bush league front office.

joecrede
01-31-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
For Williams to make that smart ass comment to that fan demonstrates the stench of this organization. A classless remark, by a classless guy in way over his empty head.

I've got issues with the way Williams runs the team, but what was classless about his response? The fan was making a statement to hundreds of fans that was based on an inaccurate premise.

And speaking for myself, there is no more tired whine than the "I can't afford to go to <pick sporting event>".

CubKilla
01-31-2004, 04:32 PM
And speaking for myself, there is no more tired whine than the "I can't afford to go to <pick sporting event>".

Why? This is a genuine issue for alot of Sox fans. Not for me..... I have chosen not to spend anymore money on the Sox until JR sells or the team is very competitive, but even on half-price nights, for a family of four with tix, concessions, parking, souvenirs, etc., the tally for the night probably exceeds $75 to $100. Excuse me if I don't buy into your chosen "whine" beef.

hftrex
01-31-2004, 05:18 PM
Once again, the likes of Hangar and others go out and embarrass all of us White Sox fans in public by reinforcing all the negative stereotypes of Sox fans being disgraceful persons.

Jjav829
01-31-2004, 05:31 PM

You don't think he would have been pressed as to why he wasn't able to contact Frank? I would almost bet that if he said he was unable to contact Frank, there would have been a followup question along the lines of "Why haven't you been able to contact Frank? Have you tried to contact Frank and been unable to? Have you left messages with Frank asking him to return your calls?" or something of the like. No GM publicly talks about their trade discussions. It's horrible business if you are a GM to discuss trade talks. KW has always been against that. He won't even comment on specific players that he targeted in Free Agency. There is a big difference between talking about your own players, who you should be able to contact as they are under contract with your team, and talking about your attempts at pursuing other players, not under contract with your team.

joecrede
01-31-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Why? This is a genuine issue for alot of Sox fans. Not for me..... I have chosen not to spend anymore money on the Sox until JR sells or the team is very competitive, but even on half-price nights, for a family of four with tix, concessions, parking, souvenirs, etc., the tally for the night probably exceeds $75 to $100. Excuse me if I don't buy into your chosen "whine" beef.

Try taking a family of four out for an evening anywhere for less than $75-$100.

RedPinStripes
01-31-2004, 06:37 PM
Why? This is a genuine issue for alot of Sox fans. Not for me..... I have chosen not to spend anymore money on the Sox until JR sells or the team is very competitive, .

You say that every time they lose 2 in a row?*****!

Dan H
01-31-2004, 08:09 PM
Sox fans did nothing to embarass themselves. The White Sox know we are waiting for something dramatic to happen in the offseason and it shows no indication it will do anything. Cub fans may like inaction, but we don't. Or at least most of us don't.

Going on seven years since the White Flag Trade, going on 10 years since the strike, going on 45 years since a World Series appearance and going 87 years since a World Series championship. Is that negative or just the truth?

dickallen15
01-31-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
You don't think he would have been pressed as to why he wasn't able to contact Frank? I would almost bet that if he said he was unable to contact Frank, there would have been a followup question along the lines of "Why haven't you been able to contact Frank? Have you tried to contact Frank and been unable to? Have you left messages with Frank asking him to return your calls?" or something of the like. No GM publicly talks about their trade discussions. It's horrible business if you are a GM to discuss trade talks. KW has always been against that. He won't even comment on specific players that he targeted in Free Agency. There is a big difference between talking about your own players, who you should be able to contact as they are under contract with your team, and talking about your attempts at pursuing other players, not under contract with your team.

Frank Thomas is paid to play baseball, not to talk to Kenny Williams. Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen have basically carried out a smear campaign against Frank. They don't like the negative press, yet they give Marriotti and company fuel for their fire. My point is obviously Williams was correct about not commenting on Magglio's alledged inclusion on that trade. He also should not be making comments about Frank. These guys wonder why everybody's so negative. Maybe Ozzie and Kenny should go back and read all their quotes in the papers, listen to their press conferences, and their radio appearances. I'm sure they'll know then.

CubKilla
01-31-2004, 11:19 PM
Try taking a family of four out for an evening anywhere for less than $75-$100.

C'mon. Don't make me post the numerous types of outings a family can go to in Chicago during the summer for under $75.

joecrede
01-31-2004, 11:30 PM
C'mon. Don't make me post the numerous types of outings a family can go to in Chicago during the summer for under $75.

Just the top two or three ...

Jjav829
01-31-2004, 11:31 PM
Frank Thomas is paid to play baseball, not to talk to Kenny Williams. Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen have basically carried out a smear campaign against Frank. They don't like the negative press, yet they give Marriotti and company fuel for their fire. My point is obviously Williams was correct about not commenting on Magglio's alledged inclusion on that trade. He also should not be making comments about Frank. These guys wonder why everybody's so negative. Maybe Ozzie and Kenny should go back and read all their quotes in the papers, listen to their press conferences, and their radio appearances. I'm sure they'll know then.

You try not talking to your boss at work. It won't get you very far (unless by far you mean sent home for good). KW and Ozzie are his bosses, like it or not. KW talked to Frank before he agreed to come back and made him aware that Ozzie was a candidate to be the new manager. Frank decided to come back. That was his choice and he has to live with it now. He can either continue to pout, or realize that he has to get along with KW and Ozzie. He's choosing the former right now.

KW was asked a question and responded with an honest answer. I guess he really can't win. If KW is honest, people bitch. If he lies or avoids questions, people bitch. If he went the Frank route and didn't talk (after all KW is played to be the general manager, not a PR man, right?) people would bitch.

CubKilla
01-31-2004, 11:59 PM
Just the top two or three ...

Minor League Baseball Teams from Kane County, Cook County, and Joliet.

The Zoo's

Any of the special lakefront festivals (i.e., Venetian Night) offered free of charge by the CoC.

mike squires
02-01-2004, 12:03 AM
You go Cub Killa. How about Shed aqurium...childrens museum, pic nic in the park...

joecrede
02-01-2004, 12:14 AM
Minor League Baseball Teams from Kane County, Cook County, and Joliet.

The Zoo's

Any of the special lakefront festivals (i.e., Venetian Night) offered free of charge by the CoC.

Transportation, the kids are going to want to eat at the zoo and these free lakefront festivals. What will that come to? What's the price of minor league ball these days?

4 UD reserve tix on a 1/2 price night $24
Parking ......................................... $15
2 Cokes & 2 Dogs for the kids .... $13

An evening out for a family of 4 where the kids get fed for $52.

RedPinStripes
02-01-2004, 12:22 AM
Transportation, the kids are going to want to eat at the zoo and these free lakefront festivals. What will that come to? What's the price of minor league ball these days?

4 UD reserve tix on a 1/2 price night $24
Parking ......................................... $15
2 Cokes & 2 Dogs for the kids .... $13

An evening out for a family of 4 where the kids get fed for $52.

Where are you getting those prices from? What if Dad wants a beer? Maybe 4? What if Mom wants a few cokes and something to eat?

Kane county is A LOT cheaper. IIRC , 10.00 for a great seat. 2.00 for a 22 oz beer! Parking wasnt over 5.00. Dollar cokes, dont remeber hot dog prices. This was a few years back. I doubt it inflated much.

mike squires
02-01-2004, 12:30 AM
Ah, come on now...you gotta plan ahead and make some sandwhiches and take some water and cheap pop. the kids are allowed one snack inside the zoo. You can make it work...I know at Indianapolis Indian games you can take in food if you have a cheap lawn seat....

soxnut
02-01-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
[.

KW was asked a question and responded with an honest answer. I guess he really can't win. If KW is honest, people bitch. If he lies or avoids questions, people bitch. If he went the Frank route and didn't talk (after all KW is played to be the general manager, not a PR man, right?) people would bitch. [/B]

I think that bitching is what alot of Sox fans are good at unfortunatley. And it doesn't make them look very good in the public eye either. With fans like this who needs opponets fans? And as once again, as I have said before, if my fandom depended on how Sox fans are...I wouldn't be one. Thank God it's not.

People once again have taken what Ozzie has said about Frank out of context. He was asked questions about Frank. He said that what he has heard from other people about Frank, he does not like. Regarding what he has heard, if it is true, he would not put up with that. It's not a big deal.

Dadawg_77
02-01-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
I think that bitching is what alot of Sox fans are good at unfortunatley. And it doesn't make them look very good in the public eye either. With fans like this who needs opponets fans? And as once again, as I have said before, if my fandom depended on how Sox fans are...I wouldn't be one. Thank God it's not.

People once again have taken what Ozzie has said about Frank out of context. He was asked questions about Frank. He said that what he has heard from other people about Frank, he does not like. Regarding what he has heard, if it is true, he would not put up with that. It's not a big deal.

So what are Sox fans supposed to do, say "Hey Kenny great job on building this team". Please, give me a break. Kenny did a horrible job this off season and should expect to hear that from his customers.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-01-2004, 09:17 AM

Great point. If the Sox front office is going to stand up in front of the fans and complain about negativity and list a set of scapegoats for all the negativity, then they absolutely need to take a big bite of **** sandwich and admit they have caused it, too.

Hey Hawk, it wasn't Marriotti smearing Frank Thomas in the papers about not returning phone calls. It was that idiot on the stool next to you.

:hawk
"Mercy... that one had some giddy-up on it!"

"Sorry Hawk, I couldn't hear you. Somebody just clocked me with a fastball in the head!"

The Critic
02-01-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Where are you getting those prices from? What if Dad wants a beer? Maybe 4? What if Mom wants a few cokes and something to eat?

Kane county is A LOT cheaper. IIRC , 10.00 for a great seat. 2.00 for a 22 oz beer! Parking wasnt over 5.00. Dollar cokes, dont remeber hot dog prices. This was a few years back. I doubt it inflated much.

This is fine, if you want to see minor-league baseball. There's nothing at all wrong with minor-league baseball, but I want to see MLB more than minors, especially A-ball minors. ( Please hold all "but the Sox ARE minor-leaguers" jokes... :D: )

For my family:
3 half-price UD box seats - 24 bucks ( 18 bucks for 3 UD reserved )
Parking - 15 bucks ( about the same as 3 round trips on CTA, so why not park? )
Sox let you bring a see-through bag of food in with you, including a quart bottle of water - last year we would bring in a bag that held 3 sandwiches, big bag of chips, quart of water and cookies and juice for the little one - that's more than enough
Extra 10 bucks for a beer for me and a Pepsi for the Mrs. - if I'm driving the family home, I'm not having "maybe 4" beers.... :smile:

49 bucks for 3 people - not bad at all, and it'll be even cheaper this year, since I signed my daughter up for the Silver and Black Pack. 27 bucks for 6 UD tickets, which are upgradable? Sounds good to me.

CubKilla
02-01-2004, 01:21 PM

1.) Who cares how we're perceived by other baseball fans?

2.) If you have a problem with the White Sox fans bitching, name one thing we should be extremely happy about? We've had practically zero offseason movement, Maggs trade rumors, no 4th or 5th starter, and projects at 2B and CF. Wait..... I forgot about the USCF renovations!

3.) Don't question anybody's fandom. Everyone here's attitude over the summer is probably up and down contingent with how the White Sox are doing in the standings..... whether you have blind devotion to the team or whether you refuse to have the wool pulled over your eyes about the team. Everyone here wants to see the Sox win above all.

CubKilla
02-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by The Critic
This is fine, if you want to see minor-league baseball. There's nothing at all wrong with minor-league baseball, but I want to see MLB more than minors, especially A-ball minors. ( Please hold all "but the Sox ARE minor-leaguers" jokes... :D: )

For my family:
3 half-price UD box seats - 24 bucks ( 18 bucks for 3 UD reserved )
Parking - 15 bucks ( about the same as 3 round trips on CTA, so why not park? )
Sox let you bring a see-through bag of food in with you, including a quart bottle of water - last year we would bring in a bag that held 3 sandwiches, big bag of chips, quart of water and cookies and juice for the little one - that's more than enough
Extra 10 bucks for a beer for me and a Pepsi for the Mrs. - if I'm driving the family home, I'm not having "maybe 4" beers.... :smile:

49 bucks for 3 people - not bad at all, and it'll be even cheaper this year, since I signed my daughter up for the Silver and Black Pack. 27 bucks for 6 UD tickets, which are upgradable? Sounds good to me.

Sounds good to me too. But baseball games are long. Your kids aren't gonna want food from home when there's cotton candy and churros and funnel cakes available at the park. Trust me..... I was a kid once :D: . Then there's the occasional souvenir and once your kid sees those lighted wristbands they'll HAVE to have one of those. Let's agree to disagree that the cheapest night will be $49.

voodoochile
02-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Sounds good to me too. But baseball games are long. Your kids aren't gonna want food from home when there's cotton candy and churros and funnel cakes available at the park. Trust me..... I was a kid once :D: . Then there's the occasional souvenir and once your kid sees those lighted wristbands they'll HAVE to have one of those. Let's agree to disagree that the cheapest night will be $49.

Dinner at McD's for 4 including 2 Happy Meals: $16

Tickets for 4 to a movie including two kids seats: $27

Candy and Soda at the movie: $15 (That's a lowball estimate)

total price for dinner and a movie for a family of 4: $58 and then you have to sit through "Pokemon III: Pika's revenge"). Even if you eliminate the movie snacks it is still $43 and not everyone will get the same level of enjoyment.

joecrede
02-01-2004, 02:11 PM

What's wrong with saying "no" to your son/daughter when they ask for a souvenir or "junk food" at the park when you can't afford it?

CubKilla
02-01-2004, 02:22 PM
What's wrong with saying "no" to your son/daughter when they ask for a souvenir or "junk food" at the park when you can't afford it?

If you can't afford to buy your kid a program and a souvenir from the ballpark, you shouldn't be going to the game PERIOD. My dad didn't have alot of money when I was growing up. He worked a blue-collar job and sent me and my sister to private, Catholic grammar school and high school on one income. He always took me and my sister to one Sox game a year. He always bought us both one souvenir from the game and a program for each of us. Point is, while my father lived, literally, pay check to pay check, he always made sure the "special outings" were remembered with items from the ballpark. We didn't always get everything we wanted either. Just my little example. Take it for what it's worth.

RichFitztightly
02-01-2004, 05:46 PM

You know what will plug a fan's bitching hole... A World Series Ring. I'd say it would fit quite nice. Until that happens I proclaim(ala Marie Antoinette), LET THE FANS BITCH!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
02-01-2004, 08:02 PM
As was posted in the "buzz" thread, the Cubune's Teddy G. had a far different take on Friday and Saturday's Q & A session. Unlike Padilla, he contrasted the laid back "Oprah" crowd from Saturday with the boisterous "Jerry Springer" crowd from Friday.

Could it be that a Saturday afternoon crowd had more kids and parents in attendance compared with an after-work adult crowd on a Friday night?

Who says the old "Friday Night Fights" went away when Old Comiskey was torn down?

:gulp:

:harry&jimmy
"I tell you what Jimmy, that was a wicked left hook that one guy just landed on the other."

"Coach, that other guy has no business talking to that guy's girlfriend."

:veeck
"You can never have too many ballpark promotions featuring the consumption of more beer."

Brian26
02-01-2004, 08:11 PM
As was posted in the "buzz" thread, the Cubune's Teddy G. had a far different take on Friday and Saturday's Q & A session. Unlike Padilla, he contrasted the laid back "Oprah" crowd from Saturday with the boisterous "Jerry Springer" crowd from Friday.

Could it be that a Saturday afternoon crowd had more kids and parents in attendance compared with an after-work adult crowd on a Friday night?

I don't think that necessarily had anything to do with it. There were small kids there on Friday night, even a little girl asked all the players who their favorite Sox player was (the Guillen response, as you read, was Frank).

There was passion on both days. The difference between Friday night and Saturday night was that the moron Score callers only asked the same question once on Saturday before KW answered them, while on Friday night the same ignorant questions were asked repeatedly (and I don't blame KW for getting bositerous about it).

I'm embarrassed when questions are asked by people who don't do their homework.

I was standing next to Ozzie Jr and Bruce Levine today up against the wall in the seminar. For the third straight day, these questions were asked:

- Why did Alomar and Everett sign for cheaper with other teams?

- Why don't the Sox use some of the naming rights money to buy some free agent talent.

I looked at Bruce, and we both just shook our heads. Kenny, for the third day in a row, explained that the ISFA gets all the money, and the reason Robbie and Carl are on other teams is basically because their agents took a gamble and lost. Does anyone in their right mind blame KW for not offering arbitration to either guy? They'd be making 8 or 9 million a piece.

Most of the questions asked today were stupid.

One of the best questions asked all weekend, in my opinion, was on Friday night. A young guy asked Loaiza how he usually prepares on the day before he pitches and the day he pitches (ie what does he eat, how much does he throw, how late does he sleep, etc). I thought that was an excellent question.

steff
02-02-2004, 08:53 AM

Who says the old "Friday Night Fights" went away when Old Comiskey was torn down?

:gulp:

:harry&jimmy
"I tell you what Jimmy, that was a wicked left hook that one guy just landed on the other."

"Coach, that other guy has no business talking to that guy's girlfriend."

:veeck
"You can never have too many ballpark promotions featuring the consumption of more beer."

George.. are you implying that beer had something to do with my comments to Kenny & Ozzie..?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-02-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by steff
George.. are you implying that beer had something to do with my comments to Kenny & Ozzie..?

Nah. Probably just the opposite. They probably would have behaved better if they had a couple under their belt. Kenny and Ozzie I mean.

:smile:

The Critic
02-02-2004, 08:56 AM

If the kid wants a churro, we sit in the CHEAPEST SEATS AVAILABLE!!! :D:

Last year she was fine with the food from home - the only treat she seems to want at the park is the cotton candy, so we got a cotton candy from the store and brought it with. But yeah, mine was a lowest-possible estimate, and the truth is if I plan to go to a game, I buy the tickets in advance so it doesn't feel like I spent as much - I always end up spending a little more than planned at the game.

I don't go to as many games ( or anything else ) as I used to before she was born, but when we do, I like to give her what she wants. She's a really good kid, so I like to spoil her a little bit.

Hangar18
02-02-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Dinner at McD's for 4 including 2 Happy Meals: $16

Tickets for 4 to a movie including two kids seats: $27

Candy and Soda at the movie: $15 (That's a lowball estimate)

....Watching Sox Management get Lit Up Friday Nite by fans...
Priceless

Hangar18
02-02-2004, 09:49 AM

George ........ You hit the Nail on the Head. That was Exactly the make-up of the crowd both days. Thats why you saw
what you saw on Friday Nite.

Lip Man 1
02-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Steff:

Congratulations again!!!!! From Monday's Tribune:

During Friday's question-and-answer session with members of the front office, a woman took the microphone and began lecturing Williams. Although the woman acknowledged she'd be in big trouble if she didn't return calls from her boss, she said: "It's not appropriate to broadcast your issues with Frank Thomas. That's none of our business, and it puts him in a bad light."

God bless you lady, you are a true Sox fan!

Lip

maurice
02-02-2004, 12:44 PM
IMHO, Steff clearly is right on this one. You can't blame the press for asking the question, and you don't have to lie to avoid embarrassing your player. An appropriate answer would be:

"I'm not going to comment on that."

steff
02-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Steff:

Congratulations again!!!!! From Monday's Tribune:

During Friday's question-and-answer session with members of the front office, a woman took the microphone and began lecturing Williams. Although the woman acknowledged she'd be in big trouble if she didn't return calls from her boss, she said: "It's not appropriate to broadcast your issues with Frank Thomas. That's none of our business, and it puts him in a bad light."

God bless you lady, you are a true Sox fan!

Lip

I got called belligerant on the Score, too. Guess I've made the big time :D:

ewokpelts
02-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by steff
I got called belligerant on the Score, too. Guess I've made the big time :D:

That's means you posses human intelligence...unlike the score's hosts....
Gene