PDA

View Full Version : Pitching


cleogogo
01-30-2004, 08:10 PM
Pitching, Can someone tell me how we could offer colon a huge contract and not be able to go after any other pitchers? if we signed colon, would we have dumped other players? Whats up with that ex atlanta pitcher? its almost feb!

Daver
01-30-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by cleogogo
Pitching, Can someone tell me how we could offer colon a huge contract and not be able to go after any other pitchers? if we signed colon, would we have dumped other players? Whats up with that ex atlanta pitcher? its almost feb! Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Rex Hudler
01-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by cleogogo
Pitching, Can someone tell me how we could offer colon a huge contract and not be able to go after any other pitchers? if we signed colon, would we have dumped other players? Whats up with that ex atlanta pitcher? its almost feb!

Sure, if Colon signed with the White Sox, KW would have had to make other moves to fit him into the payroll. Obviously, they had a plan to make that happen. But the bottom line is, the payroll would have had to be trimmed somewhere if Colon stayed with the Sox.

A. Cavatica
01-30-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by cleogogo
Pitching, Can someone tell me how we could offer colon a huge contract and not be able to go after any other pitchers? if we signed colon, would we have dumped other players?

I can come up with one other possibility (but I think the dump scenario's more likely).

Perhaps the Sox considered Colon the linchpin of their effort to re-sign their veterans and contend this year. Maybe Cito Gaston was part of that plan too. When Colon fell through, they decided to go the rebuilding route.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-30-2004, 09:07 PM
Wow. Good point. I bet that was something they had in mind. If only they could have re-signed him... :(:

SEALgep
01-30-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
I can come up with one other possibility (but I think the dump scenario's more likely).

Perhaps the Sox considered Colon the linchpin of their effort to re-sign their veterans and contend this year. Maybe Cito Gaston was part of that plan too. When Colon fell through, they decided to go the rebuilding route.

We may not have the veterans everyone wants, but we're hardly rebuilding. If we were, everyone would have been dished off for prospects and see what we can do with them, like the Tiger's situation last year.

munchman33
01-30-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
We may not have the veterans everyone wants, but we're hardly rebuilding. If we were, everyone would have been dished off for prospects and see what we can do with them, like the Tiger's situation last year.

I agree. We're still in a good position. We just aren't a great team. We're simply on the threshold between decent and good. Perhaps thats enough for the central.

idseer
01-30-2004, 09:29 PM
- OR -

we never intended to sign him! there never WAS 12 million to spend. it was all a ruse for the sake of the fan.

SEALgep
01-30-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by idseer
- OR -

we never intended to sign him! there never WAS 12 million to spend. it was all a ruse for the sake of the fan.
Ya, that's it. And if he took it, they would have called timeout to make sure it didn't go through. Anaheim got him because they were the only club in the majors, and a bunch of teams were interested, that would give him a fourth year.

voodoochile
01-30-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Sure, if Colon signed with the White Sox, KW would have had to make other moves to fit him into the payroll. Obviously, they had a plan to make that happen. But the bottom line is, the payroll would have had to be trimmed somewhere if Colon stayed with the Sox.

They could have lowballed Buehrle and Lee in arbitration and only offered 1 year deals if necessary. That would have probably saved them a couple of mil this year alone...

34 Inch Stick
01-31-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
We may not have the veterans everyone wants, but we're hardly rebuilding. If we were, everyone would have been dished off for prospects and see what we can do with them, like the Tiger's situation last year.

Just wait until August. Valentin...gone! Ordonez...gone! Niedermeyer...

Rex Hudler
01-31-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
They could have lowballed Buehrle and Lee in arbitration and only offered 1 year deals if necessary. That would have probably saved them a couple of mil this year alone...

Perhaps, but the amount of money that Buehrle and Lee are making this year, is not too far off from what they would have likely recieived had they gone to arbitration. The amounts each will make this year seems to be somewhat in line with what was expected.

ode to veeck
01-31-2004, 02:00 PM
It WAS unfortunate to lose Barto, who was truely a solid competitor for us last season, especially late in the season.

On the other hand, it was nice to see at least a 3 year deal get closed for Burly-mon, especially after the contract shenanagans between him the Sox last two years.

depy48
01-31-2004, 02:34 PM
Everyone liked Bartolo, and yeah its sad to see him leave. But you never know how he is going to produce in Anaheim. Buehrle might just surprise, and be that 20game winner we pegged him to be last season. Heck, i was a huge Bartolo fan, i still wear my #40 jersey all the time. I just cant feel that bad that he left for money. Guess he didnt want to stay in Chicago.

soxwon
01-31-2004, 02:54 PM
[Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick [/i]
[B]Just wait until August. Valentin...gone! Ordonez...gone! Niedermeyer...

Why would they be gone, we will be leading the division and on our way to the playoffs, i mean it!!!
we are gonna win the division no question.

CubKilla
01-31-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
[Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick [/i]
[B]Just wait until August. Valentin...gone! Ordonez...gone! Niedermeyer...

Why would they be gone, we will be leading the division and on our way to the playoffs, i mean it!!!
we are gonna win the division no question.

Didn't you say Maddux was gonna be donning Sox pinstripes yesterday too?

soxwon
01-31-2004, 06:25 PM
i didnt say it yesterday- but i have been saying it since August.
Sox will get maddux, but now it doesnt look good, but the Cubs wont get him either, he would have signed by now if he really wanted to be a Flub.

but i know we will rule the central.

cleogogo
01-31-2004, 07:39 PM
where will maddux be playing? things seem quiet, but who has the inside track for his services?

Rex Hudler
01-31-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by cleogogo
where will maddux be playing? things seem quiet, but who has the inside track for his services?

Odds are still on the Cubs.