PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Soxfest Thread 1-30-2004

soxwon
01-30-2004, 07:00 PM
how was it i need details?

any talk of that great trade?

mike squires
01-30-2004, 07:03 PM
Festivities won't start till 6 or 7. I am also anxious to hear all about the events and peopls experience.

cheeses_h_rice
01-30-2004, 07:13 PM
For those of you attending, please post your reports here about the overall Fest experience, panel stories, etc.

Rocklive99
01-30-2004, 08:00 PM
I wish they wouldve broadcasted the opening ceremonies on FSN like they did last year

soxfan26
01-30-2004, 08:13 PM
Sox Festivus! I love it!

WinningUgly!
01-30-2004, 10:25 PM
Here (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/cha/photos) are a few Soxfest pics.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-30-2004, 10:37 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040130&content_id=632619&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

there's a little article on what happend tonight. I wonder if that doof asked for KW to resign.

HawkDJ
01-30-2004, 10:50 PM
I like this quote for some reason
"I'm excited to be here, and I hope the fans are excited about our team," Olivo added. "I'm really glad everything is inside the hotel."

It's in my sig now. :smile:

duke of dorwood
01-30-2004, 11:00 PM
Keeping KW from the fans at opening ceremony. Geeeez

Viva Magglio
01-30-2004, 11:28 PM
I was at the seminar tonight, and it was easily the most intense one I've been too. The panel was Ken Harrelson, Darrin Jackson, Kenny Williams, Rick Hahn, and Ozzie Guillen.

Fans fired on KW over not re-signing Colon, not signing Maggs, and economic issues. Kenny's attitude was basically "bring it on..." He even extended the seminar an extra 15 minutes to that fans could get, as he put it, "stuff off their chest." At times, KW raised his voice and came this/close to doing a Howard Dean several times. Among the highlights of what KW said:

- The payroll is $64M.
- We didn't re-sign Roberto Alomar basically because Robbie's agent screwed up.
- We are not in a rebuilding phase and we are still looking for ways to improve.
- Jose Valentin will (probably) be the Opening Day shortstop.
- He's tired of the Cubs getting all the attention.

Also at the seminar, Ozzie generally got a very positive reception. When someone asked the panel which White Sox player was their favorite, Ozzie said "Frank." Ozzie also said "People don't go to Cubs games to watch baseball, they go to party."

One of the best moments of the seminar was when the issue of negativity was brought up. Hawk then went into a five minute rant blaming all the negativity on one Jay Mariotti. Hawk said that the Sox have to "respond" to what Mariotti writes.

OEO Magglio
01-31-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
I like this quote for some reason
"I'm excited to be here, and I hope the fans are excited about our team," Olivo added. "I'm really glad everything is inside the hotel."

It's in my sig now. :smile:
Haha, what a surprise.

emaholic
01-31-2004, 12:28 AM
Man, Soxfest was great. Probably the best Soxfest I've been to so far.

I went with 2 of my friends and we had a great time. We met Aaron Rowand and he told us to have a great time and to enjoy ourselves. Also, Harold Baines was behind me on the escalator and I didn't even know, haha. We also met Britt Burns and Esteban Loaiza, we congratulated him on his great season. I wanted to meet Black Jack, but he had to leave right after the seminar for an interview. We also got to meet Kelly Wunsch and Jon Garland and chatted with them for a bit. I bought 2 photos and a 1983 "Winning Ugly" shirt, along with the Chicago Tribune "fan pack."

What a wonderful time. :D:

soxfan26
01-31-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Hawk said that the Sox have to "respond" to what Mariotti writes.

:sopranos

"One response coming up..."

Lip Man 1
01-31-2004, 12:33 AM
Paranoia rules Sox Fest.... LOL

Kenny's not introduced hmmmm.... wonder why? Reminds me back in the day, when the Bulls "failed" to introduce Krause & Reinsdorf!

My personal opinion is that if Hawk is pissed at all the "negative" press he should go to his friend Uncle Jerry and tell him to start treating the franchise like a representative of the 3rd largest city in the country.

By the way that "64 million" dollar payroll is still 6 million dollars less then the median payroll in MLB after the close of the 2003 season.

To me it's the same old song and dance from Sox management 'blame someone else' (i.e. the media, the fans, player's agents) for problems they created. What an organization!

Lip

CubKilla
01-31-2004, 12:43 AM
Was Hangar there with his signs? :?:

Viva Magglio
01-31-2004, 12:49 AM
I'll be staying Saturday night downtown (not at the Hyatt but a nearby hotel in the Streeterville area of Downtown) so I'll go into "Internet silence" until Sunday. One more comment I want to make is not to confuse Ozzie with Ozzie, Jr. I saw the younger Guillen talking to someone outside the seminar room after "The Kenny Williams Show" let out. Ozzie, Jr., looks and sounds like his father so much that he could probably pass himself off as his father. This is really a statement of how much I've aged because I remember Ozzie, Jr., as a little kid from the 1993 clincher clubhouse celebration.

DrCrawdad
01-31-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Kenny's not introduced hmmmm.... wonder why?

and if Hawk wants to make a statement to the media he should tell Sox management to win more friggin' games!

What a joke!

Lip

To hell with Jay Mariotti! It was no doubt a diversion on the part of Hawk but I was glad to hear Hawk fire away at that numbskull.

If there was any doubts about how Hawk felt about Jerry Manuel as a manager, those doubts were blown away as well. I don't have specific quotes to point to but it seems clear to me that Hawk was fed up with Manuel's passionless managing style.

The Q&A session got quite raucous. I can only imagine how us Sox fans will be blasted by the media.

I sat in about the fifth fow, stage right section, first seat on the aisle. When I heard Hangar, aka Henry, ask a question I snapped a photo which I'll attach later. After the session I had the pleasure to met Hangar and his lovely lady friend outside the sports bar. Unfortunately I did not get upstairs to the bar to meet any of the other WSI friends. My 2 1/2 year old daughter was near exhaustion and impossible to corral at that point.

The most shocking part of the trip to SoxFest was meeting Mr. Reinsdorf in the sports bar there at the hotel. I was holding my 2 1/2 year old when Mr. Reinsdorf approached. I simply said, "Hello Mr. Reinsdorf." And that was it. When I left Mr. Reinsdorf was still sitting around a table with his friends. Up to that point I think Mr. Reinsdorf had not been harassed. Honestly after the Q&A session I was a bit worried that he'd get yelled at by some angry fan. Good thing he had muscle with him

I also saw TornLabrum at the Windy City Sox fan booth. Hal was kind, as per usual, and my daughter played the game there and got a Red Sox pencil and a troll doll in with a White Sox jersey. Wait maybe it wasn't a White Sox troll but a Don King doll.

After a day of activity the walk to my car seemed not as cold as the walk into the fest. Maybe it was that adult beverage I consumed that warmed me. (No I didn't drive home drunk. I had ONE adult beverage.)

soxnut
01-31-2004, 01:35 AM
Dr Crawdad.......did JR seem a bit aged to you? He did to me. But anyway, after that seminar, I thought for sure he might get harrassed, but I don't think most of the people there recognized him.

soxnut
01-31-2004, 01:44 AM
Wonder if anyone signed the steel girder.........I did. :D:

DrCrawdad
01-31-2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
Dr Crawdad.......did JR seem a bit aged to you? He did to me. But anyway, after that seminar, I thought for sure he might get harrassed, but I don't think most of the people there recognized him.

Usually that's how people are describing me nowadays!

Actually when I entered the sports bar (because of my advanced age I can't remember the name) I saw him standing there but I wasn't sure it was him. I didn't expect to see him there. The giant cigar was the giveaway though.

I told my wife that I probably would have walked straight past Mr. Reinsdorf had I seen him on the street.

TommyJohn
01-31-2004, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

One of the best moments of the seminar was when the issue of negativity was brought up. Hawk then went into a five minute rant blaming all the negativity on one Jay Mariotti. Hawk said that the Sox have to "respond" to what Mariotti writes.

Ohhhhhhhh, boy. Captain Queegarotti is going to be all over
that one. He is going to launch a nuclear blast. He won't rest
until all traces of the Sox' existence is wiped from the face of
the earth. Hawk Harrelson is now a sworn blood-oath arch-
enemy, right up there with the three great enemies of man-
kind; Reinsdorf, Thomas and Bartman.

:moron

Get ready, scum Sox fans!!

DrCrawdad
01-31-2004, 01:59 AM
http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/SoxFest/SoxFest-Thumbnails/1.jpg

DrCrawdad
01-31-2004, 02:12 AM
http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/SoxFest/SoxFest-Thumbnails/4.jpg (http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/SoxFest/SoxFest-Pages/Image4.html)
Ozzie interviewed by a Spanish TV station just before the Friday Q&A.

http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/SoxFest/SoxFest-Thumbnails/3.jpg (http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/SoxFest/SoxFest-Pages/Image3.html)
"I'M GONNA PUNCH THAT PUNK MARIOTTI!"

http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/SoxFest/SoxFest-Thumbnails/1.jpg (http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/SoxFest/SoxFest-Pages/Image3.html)
Hangar Fires Away!

http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/SoxFest/SoxFest-Thumbnails/0.jpg (http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/SoxFest/SoxFest-Pages/Image0.html)
DrCrawdad & Hangar

http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/SoxFest/SoxFest-Thumbnails/2.jpg (http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/SoxFest/SoxFest-Pages/Image2.html)
CrawAnnie's favorite part of SoxFest. She walked away with a mitt. She'll be fighting Wee Willie Harris for the 2nd base job.

ChiSox21
01-31-2004, 02:21 AM
tell us more about how KW said he was sick of the flubs and how hawk said he wanted to punch mariotti.

DrCrawdad
01-31-2004, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox21
tell us more about how KW said he was sick of the flubs and how hawk said he wanted to punch mariotti.

I was joking about Hawk wanting to punch Jay. Although Hawk is surely fed up with that nitwit.

whitesoxwilkes
01-31-2004, 09:06 AM
Aside friom the general feeling of malcontent present in the seminar room, nothing but good times to be had at the Hyatt last night. WSI Luminaries present at the Big Bar last night included myself, Steff, JoePoe, Brian26, Hangar18, IWriteCode (who really does look like a truck driver and is one hell of a guy) and TornLabrum along with his son Jeff. The expensive beer was flowing and the cameras were popping (of course I managed to forget mine)...Wunsch, Rowand, Loaiza (who chatted with everyone who came his way), Melton, Joey Cora and Roland Hemond were all sighted in the bar.

gosox41
01-31-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Kenny's not introduced hmmmm.... wonder why? Reminds me back in the day, when the Bulls "failed" to introduce Krause & Reinsdorf!

My personal opinion is that if Hawk is pissed at all the "negative" press he should go to his friend Uncle Jerry and tell him to start treating the franchise like a representative of the 3rd largest city in the country.

By the way that "64 million" dollar payroll is still 6 million dollars less then the median payroll in MLB after the close of the 2003 season.

To me it's the same old song and dance from Sox management 'blame someone else' (i.e. the media, the fans, player's agents) for problems they created. What an organization!

Lip

A $64 mill payroll is also 20% mor then the Sox spent last season.

Try to be a little optimistic Lip . :D:

Bob

gosox41
01-31-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Aside friom the general feeling of malcontent present in the seminar room, nothing but good times to be had at the Hyatt last night. WSI Luminaries present at the Big Bar last night included myself, Steff, JoePoe, Brian26, Hangar18, IWriteCode (who really does look like a truck driver and is one hell of a guy) and TornLabrum along with his son Jeff. The expensive beer was flowing and the cameras were popping (of course I managed to forget mine)...Wunsch, Rowand, Loaiza (who chatted with everyone who came his way), Melton, Joey Cora and Roland Hemond were all sighted in the bar.

Since I'm on my boycott from SoxFest, I just want to get an idea of this 'malcontent.' What kind of questions were asked? Was there any jeeing? What did Hangar ask? I'm sure hsi was good.

Bob

soxnut
01-31-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
A $64 mill payroll is also 20% mor then the Sox spent last season.

Try to be a little optimistic Lip . :D:

Bob

I don't think he knows what that means...........

Anyway, I think it was an interesting seminar. I give KW alot of credit for putting up with all that. And for letting everyone who wanted to talk, get a chance. There were postivie comments as well, which was nice to hear. KW can only work with what he's given.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-31-2004, 11:31 AM
Oh man, I wish I could have been there to see hawk go all out on mariotti!

SouthSideHitman
01-31-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Since I'm on my boycott from SoxFest, I just want to get an idea of this 'malcontent.' What kind of questions were asked? Was there any jeeing? What did Hangar ask? I'm sure hsi was good.

Bob

The feelings of malcontent were definitly present at first. People were yelling anti-manuel, reinsdorf and williams taunts out all the time and the questions were "kenny, why do you guys keep crying poor?" "why didn't you sign alomar?" "why don't you guys increase payroll?", etc. And for a while, Kenny would get heckled while trying to speak, in his slow, logical, sane, kennyspeak.

Finally Kenny just stepped up to all the emotion in the room. Someone asked why we didn't go after Tejada and he just broadsided the guy "Why don't you guys stop being so negative? You should stopp worrying about who we couldn't get and cheer for the players we do have. I like Jose and I think that yoiu should
get behind the players we do have! Whose next?" He really responded to the amped up emotion. He also got really passionate when asked about the wisdom of hiring a rookie manager , saying "I know that when we lose, I'm up at night worrying about it and I wanted to know that there was someone else who would be up too and that's Ozzie!" He let emotion take over his normally, calm demenor and I think that he showed the fans that he really does do everything he can for the team because he cares as much as us.

Best moment of the semniar. Hawk is asked who his favorite current Sox is and he responds, Jon Garland who he bet will win between 15 and 18 games this year. He says "I'll tell you why, there are two reasons, first..." then someone yells out "Because Manuel's gone!" and the whole room busts out laughing. Even those on the stage gave a few chuckles.

I think that this was the best, most passionate SoxFest I've been to in the last four years. The sense I got was that Kenny didn't have the money to do all that he wanted personnel-wise. However, he was sick of underachieving with the talent that he did have, so he hired Ozzie to bring the team back to basics and to inject them with passion. KW wants to overachieve like the Marlins and Angels rather than make all the moves and keep coming up short.

34 Inch Stick
01-31-2004, 11:54 AM
For anyone who was there, did it seem like the hostility was unexpected at the start of the session? Do you think the panel knew that people are not thrilled with the complete dismanteling of the team?

Did anyone get any hint that KW has ever checked out these boards? It would be great to treat the Q and A like a press conference. When it is time to ask your question give your credential.... Hangar18, White Sox Interactive...

DrCrawdad
01-31-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
The feelings of malcontent were definitly present at first. People were yelling anti-manuel, reinsdorf and williams taunts out all the time and the questions were "kenny, why do you guys keep crying poor?" "why didn't you sign alomar?" "why don't you guys increase payroll?", etc. And for a while, Kenny would get heckled while trying to speak, in his slow, logical, sane, kennyspeak.

Finally Kenny just stepped up to all the emotion in the room. Someone asked why we didn't go after Tejada and he just broadsided the guy "Why don't you guys stop being so negative? You should stopp worrying about who we couldn't get and cheer for the players we do have. I like Jose and I think that yoiu should
get behind the players we do have! Whose next?" He really responded to the amped up emotion. He also got really passionate when asked about the wisdom of hiring a rookie manager , saying "I know that when we lose, I'm up at night worrying about it and I wanted to know that there was someone else who would be up too and that's Ozzie!" He let emotion take over his normally, calm demenor and I think that he showed the fans that he really does do everything he can for the team because he cares as much as us.

Best moment of the semniar. Hawk is asked who his favorite current Sox is and he responds, Jon Garland who he bet will win between 15 and 18 games this year. He says "I'll tell you why, there are two reasons, first..." then someone yells out "Because Manuel's gone!" and the whole room busts out laughing. Even those on the stage gave a few chuckles.

I think that this was the best, most passionate SoxFest I've been to in the last four years. The sense I got was that Kenny didn't have the money to do all that he wanted personnel-wise. However, he was sick of underachieving with the talent that he did have, so he hired Ozzie to bring the team back to basics and to inject them with passion. KW wants to overachieve like the Marlins and Angels rather than make all the moves and keep coming up short.

Very good summation!

CubKilla
01-31-2004, 12:02 PM
"Why don't you guys stop being so negative? You should stopp worrying about who we couldn't get and cheer for the players we do have. I like Jose and I think that yoiu should
get behind the players we do have! Whose next?"

Who said this SSH? Ozzie or KW? Man..... if I was at the podium and this question was asked by either of them, they'd probably be in for a shock at the stream of reasons WHY SOX FANS ARE SO NEGATIVE.

Let's see..... 87 years since a WS, haven't won a home playoff game since '59, only been to the playoffs to get tossed first round 3 times in my life, JR leading the owners in '94, the White Flag Trade, constant blame of the fans, JR's continual stream of lies to the Bridgeport Community and Sox fans, the treatment of Carlton Fisk, Harry Carey, taxpayers paying for JR's albatross at 35th and Veeck Dr.

Man..... I'd love for KW or Ozzie to ask me that question. I wouldn't even have to get into all of the garbage trades KW has made before he'd cut me off.

CubKilla
01-31-2004, 12:05 PM
From the sounds of it, KW should have had Stuart Smalley on the panel. But if a fan got out of line, Stuart would probably just bodyslam him and later qualify it with defending KW's right to speak freely without boos and catcalls.

DrCrawdad
01-31-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
From the sounds of it, KW should have had Stuart Smalley on the panel. But if a fan got out of line, Stuart would probably just bodyslam him and later qualify it with defending KW's right to speak freely without boos and catcalls.

Funny. But I don't remember them stopping people from venting their spleens yesterday. The crowd was quite raucous, lots of agitation and heckling. IMHO it got out of hand a few times but KW weathered the storm fairly well. IMHO too Ozzie's point about the negativity was certainly warranted.

CubKilla
01-31-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Funny. But I don't remember them stopping people from venting their spleens yesterday. The crowd was quite raucous, lots of agitation and heckling. IMHO it got out of hand a few times but KW weathered the storm fairly well. IMHO too Ozzie's point about the negativity was certainly warranted.

Ozzie needs to wake up.

I have more respect for KW after what many here posted. Only a stand-up guy would LENGTHEN an airing of grievances.

After 87 years, Sox fans have a right to vent. Too bad JR doesn't have the cajones to answer to the mob.

34 Inch Stick
01-31-2004, 01:06 PM
White Sox Festivus. After the airing of grievances did they bring out the flagpole.

StepsInSC
01-31-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Ozzie needs to wake up.

I have more respect for KW after what many here posted. Only a stand-up guy would LENGTHEN an airing of grievances.

After 87 years, Sox fans have a right to vent. Too bad JR doesn't have the cajones to answer to the mob.

I agree. KWs got a tough job, I know I wouldn't want the stress involved with it.

dickallen15
01-31-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
White Sox Festivus. After the airing of grievances did they bring out the flagpole.

The feats of strength must be coming up. Maybe Hawk and Mariotti are going to wrestle.

Lip Man 1
01-31-2004, 02:13 PM
I congratulate all the fans who said what was on their minds last night. That took guts.

Based on what I have read in the Daily Southtown and Sun-Times today, it seems Sox fans are no longer going to sit back and take the pap that the organization keeps spewing out any longer.

I urge those fans who are going out Saturday and Sunday to keep hammering away at the morons and nitwits who have run this franchise basically into the ground after 23 years.

Of course according to the owner it doesn't matter because "Chicago has always been a Cubs town..."

Lip

mikef1331
01-31-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
The feats of strength must be coming up. Maybe Hawk and Mariotti are going to wrestle.

LMAO! When can I order this on pay-per-view!

Mickster
01-31-2004, 02:26 PM
I, for one, gained a little more respect for KW after last night. I think expected a rough night, just not that rough. Extending the talk so that everyone can "get everything off their chest" is commendable.

Lip, you are correct that the "orgainzation" is at fault for the current problems. While KW is clearly not without fault (poor signings, etc..) I generally got the feeling that his hands are tied.

On another note, I saw and spoke w/ Rowand who absolutely looked in the best shape of his life (hope it will translate to on-field success) and Olivo looked HUGE, obviously spending the off-season doing some work w/ his personal trainer.

ode to veeck
01-31-2004, 02:51 PM
On another note, I saw and spoke w/ Rowand who absolutely looked in the best shape of his life

his head looked as solid as ever, musta been doing head butts all winter

ode to veeck
01-31-2004, 02:54 PM
Joe Cowley's coverage of the heated Q&A session (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/311sd1.htm)

Coverage on the hot panel session for those like me that couldn't make it to SoxFest

gosox41
01-31-2004, 02:58 PM

Keep in mind that KW has more then his share of blame for the team being built the way it is.

Bob

CubKilla
01-31-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Joe Cowley's coverage of the heated Q&A session (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/311sd1.htm)

Coverage on the hot panel session for those like me that couldn't make it to SoxFest

Awesome :D:

Brian26
01-31-2004, 07:37 PM
Does anyone else sense Ozzie's incredible knack for saying really inappropriate comments?

The "why are you guys so negative?" comment sticks out from Friday night.

At Saturday's seminar, he point-blank said that Ray Durham sucked as a second baseman when he came up, and Ozzie essentially took credit for helping coach him on defense and making him a better player.

Strange to listen to Ozzie use the same dumb joke two days in a row- "I paid the guy to catch the ball at Wrigley and help the Marlins win Game 6". Huh?

Interesting times at Soxfest.

JGarlandrules20
01-31-2004, 08:21 PM
My first soxfest! I went friday and it was really cool. I got autographs from Joe Crede, Willie Harris, Carlos Lee, Kelly Wunsch and Jon Garland. So I basically just waited in line for like 4 hours. I hated those lines!! I got so dizzy..and I felt like cattle. I took like 14 pictures but only 4 good ones.. I hate those throw away cameras.

Me and Carlos signing...
http://img15.photobucket.com/albums/v46/sully588/Sox%20players/mencarlos1.bmp

SoxxoS
01-31-2004, 08:45 PM
Does Carlos Lee ever NOT have a smirk on his face?

JGarlandrules20
02-01-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Does Carlos Lee ever NOT have a smirk on his face?

Well.. I did notice him laughing a lot while I was waiting in line.

southsidegirl
02-01-2004, 04:33 PM
This might take a while, my weekend was very eventful....

The first autograph that we got was Miguel Olivo/Mark Buehrle. We were the 3rd and 4th to last people to be allowed in line and I was jumping up and down cuz I was really hyper. Aaron Rowand walked by and I scream across the room "AARON!" and he looks and waves. When we get to the front of the line, I asked Miguel if his hand hurt and he said "kind of" and laughed. Mark was the nicest. He was like "Of course you can have my picture, you're wearing my shirt." and then when my friend asked he was like "I dunno, you're not wearing my shirt." We later followed Aaron Rowand until he gave us his autograph and then stood and stared at Jon Garland. He looked at us and I waved and he waved back. After it was over, we went to Houlihans, and suddenly, Jon Garland walks in with some girl. She was probably his girlfriend, but she wasn't as pretty as me. I bet that if i was 11 years older, he would've ditched her for me.....Anyway, I go "Hi Jon" and he turned and waved. He sat down at the table next to us and he started playing with the girl's hair... :angry: He kept on looking over at us, and we think that it was because of my friend turning to me when I was talking and looking like she was looking at him. Anyway, Saturday we got Willie Harris and Jose Valentin's autograph and went to Joe Crede and Jon Garland's seminar. At Jon's there were these girls behind us and we started talking, and one of them started rattling off random Jon stats. When we got his autograph, he asked "How was dinner?", which totally caught me off guard. I started stuttering and I looked like huge boob. We went to a seminar and then out to eat. Kelly was awesome at the party. He sang "Let It Be" and "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da". He has a great voice. We just missed Hawk. I wanted to ask him if he would get a mohawk if we went on a win streak. Get it, MoHAWK? We saw Willie Harris and Miguel Olivo punching each other, and Esteban Loaiza was wearing an ugly shirt. At about 9:00, we started up to the room, and guess who comes on the elevator with us.......Kenny Williams. I was trying to think of something to say to him, but my mind was drawing a blank, so I just kinda stared at him. I think he was kinda freaked. This morning, we went to get Estebans, but the line was filled right as we got there, so we went and got Jon's again. He didn't say anything. I think he hates us. We went to the Family Matters seminar which was funny, and then we had to go.

That's about it......

StillMissOzzie
02-03-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Wonder if anyone signed the steel girder.........I did. :D:

I've seen a couple of mentions of a girder to be signed in the various SoxFest threads. What was this?

SMO
:gulp:

whitesoxwilkes
02-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
I've seen a couple of mentions of a girder to be signed in the various SoxFest threads. What was this?

SMO
:gulp:

They had a few of the girders that will be part of the new upper deck and were having fans sign them before they raise them. I signed on Friday right under Jack McDowell.

Lip Man 1
02-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Were these girders for this year's renovations or for next year's "upper deck" in right?

Lip

HITMEN OF 77
02-04-2004, 01:58 AM
I believe so.