PDA

View Full Version : Chris Singleton


depy48
01-30-2004, 04:17 PM
According to rotoworld, Chris Singleton signed a minor-league contract with the Pirates. So anyone who hoped to Singelton back on the SouthSide cant count that out.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-30-2004, 04:36 PM
I clicked this thinking that this would be the big news of soxfest!

santo=dorf
01-30-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by depy48
According to rotoworld, Chris Singleton signed a minor-league contract with the Pirates. So anyone who hoped to Singelton back on the SouthSide cant count that out.

Yeah, but we signed Marvin Benard to a minor-league deal. Woo-hoo!

ode to veeck
01-30-2004, 04:51 PM
:slowswing

"I've got a new eyepatch and have been watching Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean for pointers"

poorme
01-30-2004, 05:13 PM
Maybe we can lure Darren Lewis out of retirement.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Maybe we can lure Darren Lewis out of retirement.

Shoot the moon and sign Mike Devereaux, too. :smile:

:KW
"Now don't be talkin' crazy!"

:reinsy
"Yeah. What he said."

MHOUSE
01-31-2004, 05:00 PM
I'd have been fine giving Singleton a guaranteed contract, but a minor league deal is an even safer investment. Kenny should have been all over this.

Tragg
01-31-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I'd have been fine giving Singleton a guaranteed contract, but a minor league deal is an even safer investment. Kenny should have been all over this.

Why? He exacerbates our offensive weaknesses.

I say get Darrin Jackson out of retirement

MisterB
02-01-2004, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Why? He exacerbates our offensive weaknesses.

He's a better defensive CF than any of the candidates we have for the position right now. He can steal a base, which right now only Harris can do (I guess technically Lee can too). He can bunt, which no one on the roster can do (maybe Harris). And as of now the only candidate we have for 4th outfielder is Marvin Benard. He could have been had for less than a mil and would be nice to have off the bench.

ScottyTheSoxFan
02-01-2004, 12:05 PM
that is if singleton wanted to come back as well. didnt he have some choice words for the sox when he was dealt or am i pulling this stuff out of nowhere?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-01-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
that is if singleton wanted to come back as well. didnt he have some choice words for the sox when he was dealt or am i pulling this stuff out of nowhere?

I'm not sure about when he was traded, but I remember him being pissed off when Kenny and Jerry handed the everyday center field position to Julio Ramirez at the start of the 2001 season. Ramirez fell flat on his face and Singleton got his old job back even though the Sox kept trying to convert Aaron Rowand from right field. Later they acquired Kenny Lofton (SoxFest 2002) and sent Singleton packing. As for Aaron...

:gun
"Aaron gets the love, but I don't."

beckett21
02-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
He's a better defensive CF than any of the candidates we have for the position right now. He can steal a base, which right now only Harris can do (I guess technically Lee can too). He can bunt, which no one on the roster can do (maybe Harris). And as of now the only candidate we have for 4th outfielder is Marvin Benard. He could have been had for less than a mil and would be nice to have off the bench.

I'd rather take a shot at an Eric Owens before bringing Singleton back. Bernard is a freakin' joke, that part is true.

CubKilla
02-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I'd have been fine giving Singleton a guaranteed contract, but a minor league deal is an even safer investment. Kenny should have been all over this.

Looks like it's do or die with a CF who couldn't bat his weight in April/May of '03.