PDA

View Full Version : Good for a laugh

jeremyb1
01-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Nate Silver at baseballprospectus opened up a chat session with this statement the other day:

Greetings from Chicago, where it's colder than Paul Konerko in April.

Link. (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=28)

Mickster
01-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Interestingly from the same article above: beausox (Illinois College): Why haven't the White Sox done more this offseason, they threw money at Colon, when he went elsewhere they chose not to spend it. Their biggest offseason acquisitions have been Cliff Politte, A Japanesse Reliever, and the leftover remains of Marvin Benards never useful bloody carcass. How on Earth do they expect to win?

Nate Silver: Yeah, that was strange, wasn't it? I mean, there are a lot of ways to spend $12 million, a lot of which would be better investments than Colon.

I think that the White Sox:

1. Are frustrated because they've thrown money at free agents before and it doesn't seem to have "worked".

2. Really, honestly believe that replacing Manuel with Ozzie Guillen is going to solve a lot of their problems.

3. Recognize on some deeper level that their division is freakin' terrible and putting a .500 club on the field should be enough to keep them involved in a pennant race.

ode to veeck
01-30-2004, 05:04 PM
I think that the White Sox:

1. Are frustrated because they've thrown money at free agents before and it doesn't seem to have "worked".

2. Really, honestly believe that replacing Manuel with Ozzie Guillen is going to solve a lot of their problems.

3. Recognize on some deeper level that their division is freakin' terrible and putting a .500 club on the field should be enough to keep them involved in a pennant race.

4. all of the above

jabrch
01-30-2004, 05:40 PM

If that was the case, why didn't they fire him in July when we still had a chance to save the season last year? Get Alomar and Everett and fire JM and we might have won something?

jeremyb1
01-30-2004, 06:38 PM
I really believe KW that we were in love with Bart and we were willing to have him for several seasons over Maggs who we think will leave after this season. Therefore, we would've traded Maggs for nothing if Bart had accepted our offer. We didn't think 13 million a season was a wise long term risk (I agree it wasn't) so we decided to keep Maggs this season instead of resigning Bart. That seems logical enough to me. I don't necessarily agree but I don't believe we had an extra 10 million in the budget for Bart we decided not to spend when he spurned us. I'm sure we would've dealt Maggs.

munchman33
01-30-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Nate Silver at baseballprospectus opened up a chat session with this statement the other day:

Link. (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=28)

LMAO. He's got a good point.