PDA

View Full Version : Trade Talk on ESPN 1000 this morning

Mickster
01-30-2004, 10:05 AM
Driving in, listening to Mike & Mike (during local sports center) reports:

1. Valentin to the Yankees for prospects???? (if I heard correctly)

2. PK to Anaheim for Washburn & Erstad. (I heard correctly)

Anyone else listen this am and hear this?

Jerko
01-30-2004, 10:19 AM
I heard it too, it was Tom Hair (schaer) doing the updates. I don't know, I'm not the biggest Valentin fan but what would our infield look like without him, especially if we trade him for prospects? Crede, Uribe, Harris, Konerko? I don't know if they would get 200 hits between them!

tanko
01-30-2004, 10:24 AM
With the Yankees where there is smoke there is fire.

LauraJ14
01-30-2004, 10:32 AM
There is an article in the Trib today about this, trade with Anaheim, Yankees and the Sox, Glaus would go to New York, Valentin to Anaheim, PK to Anaheim, Washburn and Erstad to Sox. I don't know how to do links but its on the Trib website.

chosk8
01-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by LauraJ14
There is an article in the Trib today about this, trade with Anaheim, Yankees and the Sox, Glaus would go to New York, Valentin to Anaheim, PK to Anaheim, Washburn and Erstad to Sox. I don't know how to do links but its on the Trib website.

Link to the Phil Rogers story...
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-0401300292jan30,1,5651045.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

interesting scenarios

StepsInSC
01-30-2004, 10:41 AM
I like the overall idea, simply because I think everyone would agree something needs to be done with this team. But I'm not too keen on Erstad, he's owed a lot of money for pretty long time.

Hokiesox
01-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Could Carlos Lee really play first base as Rogers suggests? I see it, but what about Thomas?

StepsInSC
01-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Could Carlos Lee really play first base as Rogers suggests? I see it, but what about Thomas?

Apparantly he could, but I don't think they'd to that this year...maybe it could be a thought once Thomas retires, but Guillen has stated he wants Thomas in the field more.

Plus with Lee vastly improving his LF defense last year, on top of the fact that Thomas hits insanely better when playing first, I'm doubting they'll give that a shot anytime soon.

SEALgep
01-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Apparantly he could, but I don't think they'd to that this year...maybe it could be a thought once Thomas retires, but Guillen has stated he wants Thomas in the field more.

Plus with Lee vastly improving his LF defense last year, on top of the fact that Thomas hits insanely better when playing first, I'm doubting they'll give that a shot anytime soon.

Also, Erstad could play first. He's a lefty, not that that really matters but it helps, and the Angels have plans with him to serve in that capacity if he is retained.

I also am concerned with his contract and length of it (3 years 8 mill.)

Jerko
01-30-2004, 11:10 AM
If the Yankees get Glaus, there better be a salary cap the next time these poor babies go on strike or get locked out.

carusochop
01-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Erstad only has value if he plays CF. On average he is about 8 runs better than an average CF, thats a decent amount. However, he doesn't hit anywhere close enough to be a 1B, however it would be interesting to see him in the number 2 hole. However, that potential infield does scare me.

Deadguy
01-30-2004, 11:56 AM
I like the idea of the Angels trade, but i don't really like the idea of Erstad or Lee playing 1B. If we trade PK for Erstad and Washburn, I'd much rather see Erstad in CF, and Thomas at 1B. Erstad's production vs. other CFers would still be sub par, but he could still make up for it if he still has decent range. If he's at 1B, he'd be the worst 1B offensively in the league, and his defense there certainly could not make up for his lack of offense, even if he's a gold glover.

We could then pick up an adequate DH for less than a million dollars.

TheRockinMT
01-30-2004, 12:14 PM
I don't see any real upside to these trades. Valentin for prospects? I don't think the Yankees have any prospects. Erstad? The guy is an injury waiting to happen. Trade Valentin and open up a spot for Uribe, who can't hit a lick? Something may happen on the trade front, but I think attention should and will be on LA. We may send them Konerko or Maggs.

SSN721
01-30-2004, 12:18 PM
Does anyone know about the prospects that were proposed in the Trib article that would come from the Yankees. Phil Rogers didnt sound negative about them. I dont have a lot of respect for the Yankess farm system but he did say they were top level prospects.

WinningUgly!
01-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
I don't see any real upside to these trades. Valentin for prospects? I don't think the Yankees have any prospects. Erstad? The guy is an injury waiting to happen. Trade Valentin and open up a spot for Uribe, who can't hit a lick? Something may happen on the trade front, but I think attention should and will be on LA. We may send them Konerko or Maggs.

The Yankees have Erick Almonte, who is a decent SS prospect. He saw a little playing time last year when Jeter was out.

Erstad scares me too. With his history of injuries, he's no longer an everyday CF. It's too risky for the money that's tied up in him. He's looking at a 1B/DH/occasional OF role for the rest of his career.

gosox3072
01-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14

Who are the yankees giving up in this proposal, theres no way they get off giving up almonte and getting glaus.

WinningUgly!
01-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
Does anyone know about the prospects that were proposed in the Trib article that would come from the Yankees. Phil Rogers didnt sound negative about them. I dont have a lot of respect for the Yankess farm system but he did say they were top level prospects.

This is all from Rotoworld.com (http://www.rotoworld.com/display1.asp?sport=MLB&page=news)...

Bubba Crosby - Yankees acquired outfielder Bubba Crosby and RHP Scott Proctor from the Dodgers for third baseman Robin Ventura. Although he's been one of the best hitters in the minors this year, the 26-year-old Crosby has no place in the Yankees' plans. Even on a lesser team, he would be nothing more than a reserve.

Scott Proctor - The Yankees seem to think a lot of Proctor, who was picked up from the Dodgers in the Robin Ventura trade. He doesn't have much to go along with a big-time fastball, but he could be part of the team's pen before the end of next year. (11-20-03)

Ramon Ramirez - Ramirez gave up one hit in five scoreless innings during yesterday's AFL action. He fanned seven. Ramirez is really helping his stock with his 1.44 ERA and 25/2 K/BB ratio in 25 innings this fall. It's unlikely that he'll see any time in the majors next season, but it's time to take him seriously as one of the Yankees' top pitching prospects. (11-05-03)

Jorge DePaula - Jorge DePaula took a no-hitter into the seventh inning tonight in his first major league start. DePaula was removed after giving up his first hit. He ended up throwing 6 1/3 scoreless innings. Although he's been impressive since joining the Yankees, it's unlikely that the team will give him a rotation spot next season. (9-26-03)

duke of dorwood
01-30-2004, 01:07 PM
When the Yankees need something, like they do now, things start flying in a hurry

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-30-2004, 03:57 PM
lets not forget the possibility the yanks take koch and his salary. that would make this trade alot better IMO. id rather have washburn, erstad, and uribe that konerko, koch, and valentin. Uribe is unproven, but Washburn makes the sox the best rotation in the division. plus we save money dumping koch and valentin and there is no closer contriversy.