PDA

View Full Version : Thigpen

SEALgep
01-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Thigpen was a stud, and really nothing has changed. Good article. Maybe he can work with our pen as a coach someday.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040128soxthigpen,1,1298437.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

poorme
01-29-2004, 05:59 PM
I don't know if any of you recall, but when JR was going to move the team to St. Pete, Thigpen supported the idea because he thought there would be more fan support there and he lived in Florida. Never liked him after that.

Lip Man 1
01-29-2004, 07:07 PM
A few things....

SEAL please DO NOT post entire stories out of other media sources. This is part of the WSI Code of Conduct and can get this site into serious legal trouble. Please post a link instead.

Two, Thigpen's dad was the public utilities director in the Tampa / St. Pete area in the late 80's, that's part of the reason he was for a potential move. In fact Thiggy's dad is one of the people that good ole' Uncle Jerry was talking to among the Tampa / St. Pete's representatives.

Lip

Brian26
01-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Funny-

Does anyone NOT remember at least one of Thiggy's other blown saves from that season? I'm talking about Lee Stevens.

That 3-run blast was the door slamming us in the face that year.

poorme
01-29-2004, 07:23 PM
I always wanted to see him hit since he was a great college hitter.

SEALgep
01-29-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
A few things....

SEAL please DO NOT post entire stories out of other media sources. This is part of the WSI Code of Conduct and can get this site into serious legal trouble. Please post a link instead.

Two, Thigpen's dad was the public utilities director in the Tampa / St. Pete area in the late 80's, that's part of the reason he was for a potential move. In fact Thiggy's dad is one of the people that good ole' Uncle Jerry was talking to among the Tampa / St. Pete's representatives.

Lip
Sorry, I think you need to register to the Trib in order to get access, so that's why I did it. I won't again.

Lip Man 1
01-29-2004, 07:30 PM
Brian:

That game has special significance to me because it was on August 25th my birthday.

I remember checking the score on the wire that night throughout the evening at the TV station in Louisiana. When it was 2-0 Sox going into the 9th I thought 'piece of cake...' right before our news started I checked the wire for final time for score updates and was stunned when the AP wire said : FINAL California Angels 3 Chicago White Sox 2.

Lip

mike squires
01-29-2004, 07:36 PM
And seeing One dog hanging over the wall, Thiggy had a look similar to Britt Burns in game 3 in '83. What did Oakland do that night? How many games back were we? I think Oakland was just a bit to strong for us if we had won that game or not...but it was a heartbreaker.

Tito Landrum, Lee Stevens and Edgar Martinez= :angry: :angry: :angry:

Lip Man 1
01-29-2004, 09:48 PM
Oakland also lost that night so the Sox stayed five games back and they were five games back after Sunday as well.

Lip

tanko
01-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Thigpen seemed to pitch daily we overused him thats for sure.

mrwag
01-30-2004, 07:34 AM
Whether he was for the move or not, the guy was absolutely awsome for a couple of years. You can't take anything away from him, even if he did have some blown saves. Those Oakland teams were just too tough those years.

Bobby Thigpen will go down as one of my most favorite Sox players of all time. In fact, the 1990 team is still my favorite. It was the most exciting, most fun team to watch in a long time. So many things happened that year - last year at Comiskey, winning a 4-0 no hitter, Kittle's last roof shot, Thigpen's save record... The list goes on. Has any Sox team won more games since 1990? I know in '93 they won 94 games too.

Brian26
01-30-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Oakland also lost that night so the Sox stayed five games back and they were five games back after Sunday as well.

Lip

The Sox were still in it, though. If they would have won that game, they would have been 4 games back. It seemed like the loss just completely took the life out of them though.

poorme
01-30-2004, 09:08 AM
That team was damn entertaining...of course that was before the HR craze.

TDog
01-30-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by poorme
I always wanted to see him hit since he was a great college hitter.

I saw Thiggy last week. Because I live in Alaska now, I asked him about his summer of 1984 with the Kenai Peninsula Oilers. His eyes lit up as he talked about not throwing a pitch and hitting about .360 while dividing his time between first base and right field during night games on fields that had no lights. He said that when he came up to the Sox, he took batting practice, but he knew there was no way he would ever be allowed to hit.