PDA

View Full Version : Vidro and Spivey


carusochop
01-29-2004, 01:18 PM
Both Jose Vidro and Junior Spivey have been reportedly available to some extent. I think the Expos would have to be completely overwelmed to part with Vidro, but the Brewers are rumored to be actively trying to move Spivey both because of money and the fact that they think Keith Ginter can handle second base (he can't). The Sox should look into flipping a couple of prospects for Spivey and letting Harris get AB's at both 2nd and CF as needed.

Dub25
01-29-2004, 02:22 PM
I wonder what it would take to get Vidro. Didn't Kenny say last year after the Colon deal that his relationship with the Expos GM (Omar something) is so good that Omar contacts him when he is interested in dealing one of his players?

jeremyb1
01-29-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by carusochop
the Brewers are rumored to be actively trying to move Spivey both because of money and the fact that they think Keith Ginter can handle second base (he can't).

I sure think he can. If Spivey could be had for a pair of midlevel prospects I think you'd see him moved by now. I'd much rather trade for Ginter.

jabrch
01-29-2004, 02:38 PM
2B in Milwaukee should be Weeks job soon anyhow. I think they will keep Ginter as a cheap backup and move Spivey and his 2mm pricetag. I don't know that Spivey is a major improvement over Willie Harris. Spivey had one good season, but not much more than that. He also costs about 2mm - so I don't know if he fits into our plans unless we somehow move one of our higher salaries that we keep talking about trading.

SEALgep
01-29-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
2B in Milwaukee should be Weeks job soon anyhow. I think they will keep Ginter as a cheap backup and move Spivey and his 2mm pricetag. I don't know that Spivey is a major improvement over Willie Harris. Spivey had one good season, but not much more than that. He also costs about 2mm - so I don't know if he fits into our plans unless we somehow move one of our higher salaries that we keep talking about trading.
He isn't an improvement, we're better off with Harris.

SoxxoS
01-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
He isn't an improvement, we're better off with Harris.

Not true. I saw Spivey all the time in Arizona and he is a good player...a lot better than Willie Harris at this stage.

mdep524
01-29-2004, 05:14 PM
I'll take Harris over Spivey, but I wonder if there is some way Vidro can be had. Maybe some deal involving Borchard? Considering how cheap Omar Minaya let Vazquez go for (I'm still bitter the Sox didn't beat the Yankee's lmae offer for him), I think it is very likely KW could put a decent package together for Vidro, who is one of the best 2B in baseball, especially because the position is pretty weak.

RKMeibalane
01-29-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Not true. I saw Spivey all the time in Arizona and he is a good player...a lot better than Willie Harris at this stage.

I agree. Spivey is capable of providing solid production at second base, which the Sox need. Harris has too many holes in his game, both offensively and defensively. The Sox need to be looking for someone else to start at 2B, because I don't like the way things are shaping up if Harris is out there every day.