PDA

View Full Version : Willie Harris

oharewx
01-29-2004, 02:32 AM
Are the sox really going to rely on Willie Harris playing second next year? There has to be some better options out there.

akingamongstmen
01-29-2004, 02:48 AM
This topic has been beaten to death on these message boards. I am of the opinion that he'll be fine (and he'll come at a very cheap price). It's not like there are many other options out there anyway. Give the guy a chance to prove himself.

OneDog
01-29-2004, 05:16 AM
Yes, Harris will be the starting second basemen. No there are no other options. Jimenez and Hummel were traded to the Reds, Miles was traded to the Rockies, and Alomar signed with the Diamondbacks. The Sox farm system does not have any middle infield prospects left.

ssang
01-29-2004, 07:17 AM
I hate out management. This is ****ing pathetic! SPEND SOME GODDAMN $$$$$$$$$$ you mutha ****ers! This is BS! We're not in Milwaukee. Reinsdorf......die you SOB, ass-clown, dick.

sorry for the rant and language I'm just pised this morning. It's frickin' frezing outside and all my teams in this city are a joke.

SEALgep
01-29-2004, 07:48 AM
You guys are over reacting. Most of the people are all excited about Reed because he hit .400 in the minors, which I am as well. However, Harris .400 in the minors as well. He had a 150 sparatic at bats last year, not enough to make a determination of what kind of hitter he is. Given a whole year, I think he is going to impress a lot of people. In fact, Alomar was best known for his D (who was offered the best contract out of anybody and was"insulted by it" signed for far less when he realized he made a mistake) might be beat out by Harris defensively. He's much quicker, more range, and will give up his body for the play. He will probably be able to bat around .260 and .270 next year, which isn't bad. He will improve every year. He's going to be a pretty good player.

hold2dibber
01-29-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
You guys are over reacting. Most of the people are all excite about Reed because he hit .400 in the minors, which I am as well. However, Harris .400 inthe minors as well. He has a 150 sparatic at bats last year, not enough to make a determination of what kind of hitter he is. Given a whole year, I think he is going to impress a lot of people. In fact, Alomar was best known for his D (who was offered the best contract out of anybody and was"insulted by it" signed for far less when he realized he made a mistake" might be beat out by Harris defensively. He's much quicker, more range, and has the attitude of Rowand- give it your all every play and give up your body. He will probably be able to bat around .260 and .270 next year, which isn't bad. He will improve every year. He's going to be a pretty good player.

I hope you're right, but from what I've seen, he looked overmatched by major league pitching. And one of the reasons a lot of people (myself included) are so high on Reed is not just that he had such a high BA in the minors, but that he has demonstrated remarkable plate discipline in the minors. He draws a lot of walks and doesn't strike out much. Those are very good indicators of continued success at higher levels. Do you (or does anyone else) know if Harris has displayed such a trait in the minors? I mean, if he hits .260 this year, that would be all well and good, but if he has a .295 OBP as our lead of hitter, that would be an absolute disaster and would severely hamper the offense.

CubKilla
01-29-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by oharewx
There has to be some better options out there.

There were much better options out there. JR just fiddled as Sox fandom burned up inside.

maurice
01-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Do you (or does anyone else) know if Harris has displayed such a trait in the minors?

Harris' minor- (and major-) league stats can be found here (http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/baseball/player.cgi?2782).

SoxxoS
01-29-2004, 12:01 PM
His plate dicipline isn't as bad as I originally thought. He actually has shown some solid OBP's in the minors. Hopefully when he plays consistantly, he will show some consistancy. He is the key to our season, IMO. If he doesn't get on base at a decent clip, we are in big trouble.

The key players to our season:
Harris
Garland
4th/5th starter
Koch
Konerko

We need 3 of those 5 to step up big time.

SEALgep
01-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
His plate dicipline isn't as bad as I originally thought. He actually has shown some solid OBP's in the minors. Hopefully when he plays consistantly, he will show some consistancy. He is the key to our season, IMO. If he doesn't get on base at a decent clip, we are in big trouble.

The key players to our season:
Harris
Garland
4th/5th starter
Koch
Konerko

We need 3 of those 5 to step up big time.

Agreed, I think it can happen. It's a long season and things can be tinkered with if necessary. If Harris can't lead off, they could bring up Reed to lead off. I doubt that will be necessary, but the point is that adjustements will be made accordingly.

carusochop
01-29-2004, 12:15 PM
The other internal option would be Juan Uribe who can't hit his way out of a paper bag. Harris is the best option available. There isn't anything left on the free-agent market.

SEALgep
01-29-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by carusochop
The other internal option would be Juan Uribe who can't hit his way out of a paper bag. Harris is the best option available. There isn't anything left on the free-agent market.
Uribe will hit fine when getting regular playing time, possibly in the future (not this year). He hit .275 in winter ball, which isn't half bad for a changed plate mentality. The Sox believe he tried too hard to hit for power in Coor's Field. They think they can teach him to quicken his stroke and become more of a contact hitter, and that should improve his at bats. If he can get that down, he'll be a hell of a short stop with his good D.

hold2dibber
01-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Uribe will hit fine when getting regular playing time, possibly in the future (not this year). He hit .275 in winter ball, which isn't half bad for a changed plate mentality. The Sox believe he tried too hard to hit for power in Coor's Field. They think they can teach him to quicken his stroke and become more of a contact hitter, and that should improve his at bats. If he can get that down, he'll be a hell of a short stop with his good D.

I'm glad you're so confident, but there are a lot of "ifs" and "they thinks" in your post. The cold hard facts are, the guy has over 1,100 major league at bats under his belt and has played his whole career in the most hitter-friendly ball park in MLB history. Yet he has a .298 career OBP, a career OPS just a hair over .700, 59 career BBs and 235 career Ks. His minor league numbers (http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/baseball/player.cgi?2506) aren't that impressive either. Maybe he'll turn it around and turn into a decent offensive player. But to count on him doing so would be nuts.

soxfan26
01-29-2004, 12:58 PM
:KW

'Willie Harris' time is now"

SEALgep
01-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'm glad you're so confident, but there are a lot of "ifs" and "they thinks" in your post. The cold hard facts are, the guy has over 1,100 major league at bats under his belt and has played his whole career in the most hitter-friendly ball park in MLB history. Yet he has a .298 career OBP, a career OPS just a hair over .700, 59 career BBs and 235 career Ks. His minor league numbers (http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/baseball/player.cgi?2506) aren't that impressive either. Maybe he'll turn it around and turn into a decent offensive player. But to count on him doing so would be nuts.

I'm not counting on it. He is an adequate utility man, with good defense. The Sox are hoping they can get his hitting on track, but they're not invested to the point where we're screwed if he doesn't pan out. He's an "if", and I didn't intend to exaggerate his potential. His defense isn't a secret, and if the Sox can turn his offense around, he will be a good find. The Sox said that about his hitting, not me. I hope they can, or rather he can. I'm not counting on it, but FA shortstops next season are very few, so it would be nice for him to pan out. We'll just have to see. Be careful how you judge his hitting though with sparatic at bats this year. He is hitting .275 in winter ball.

Keep in mind .253 isn't exactly starting from scratch with only 323 at bats. He's only 24, and the strikeout should proably come down significantly if they can teach him patience at the plate.

duke of dorwood
01-29-2004, 01:09 PM
When we talked about this possibility in November I hoped we wouldnt be trying to rationalize it in late January. Again, I was wrong.