PDA

View Full Version : Bizarro Fisk Throwback Jersey

Brian26
01-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Hit Ebay and search for: Fisk Throwback Jersey

There is a new Mitchell & Ness 1983-style jersey that is absolutely bizarre. It's basically the 1983 home jersey in all black instead of white. I know the Sox never wore this in real life, so I'm confused as to why Mitchell & Ness would put something out that never existed. Same thing applies to their 1972 red & white home "batting practice" jersey that never existed. They also have a '91 Bo Jackson black Sunday jersey with the black-diamond sock logo on the sleeve, which was never there in the first few years.

Revisionist uniform history, I guess. Check out the Fisk jersey for a laugh though.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Wow, I was going to ask about that too. Pretty weird. Not as bad as those 1983 majestic sox jerseys that are grey, pink and green. I saw one of them at Finish line. They're awful. I own the regular one majestic has because it was only $40. Pretty cool.

http://www.finishline.com/store/images/products/xl6232wsgpk.jpg

Baby Fisk
01-29-2004, 08:40 AM
This is what happens when the throwback craze becomes insanely lucrative. Some people will by anything. Yeah, I noticed that black Fisk jersey and thought "what the hell is that?". I figured it may have been worn in spring training or as a one-off.

I recently bought a retro Fisk jersey from the 1976-1981 era, dark navy with the classy "CHICAGO" letters in white and the funky floppy collar. I love it, but there is a tiny error: it has #72 on the back, but the tag on the bottom of the front dates the jersey to 1980...exactly one year BEFORE Fisk joined the Sox. It's no big deal, but shows you that even companys like Mitchell & Ness can sometimes get it wrong.

eBay is a gold mine for all sorts of great stuff, but as always it's buyer beware. It's always good to check a seller's feedback before buying anything from them.

Brian26
01-29-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I own the regular one majestic has because it was only $40. Pretty cool.

Where did you find the '83 Majestic for $40?

Hangar18
01-29-2004, 09:16 AM
When companies start "manufacturing" a teams history,
you know things wont be good farther down the road.
The Brewers are a team Completely Guilty of this (using Milwaukee Braves logos on soda cups and beer cups back in the last year of County Stadium) They also wittingly always
refer to "Milwaukees Glorious Baseball History", then quickly
referring to some of the great Braves Teams from yesteryear.
Its another "KILEY"-esque ploy to dupe the fans into thinking
the Braves and Brewers are synonymous with each other.
Their Not. The Braves Moved. Their in Atlanta now.
They owned their division thru the 1990's. The only thing
the Brewers and Braves have in common is that they once both shared the name "Milwaukee". I find what the Brewers are doing Reprehensible. Even the short-sighted and conflict-of-
interested move they made "Back" to the NL (Notice how the Brewers were so QUICK to say, 'were going back' to the NL, THE BREWERS WERE NEVER AN NL TEAM) was a Ploy to follow
their "rich NL history". What a load of BS

jabrch
01-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
I recently bought a retro Fisk jersey from the 1976-1981 era, dark navy with the classy "CHICAGO" letters in white and the funky floppy collar. I love it, but there is a tiny error: it has #72 on the back, but the tag on the bottom of the front dates the jersey to 1980...exactly one year BEFORE Fisk joined the Sox. It's no big deal, but shows you that even companys like Mitchell & Ness can sometimes get it wrong.

WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT ONE? I am looking for one (at a decent price) and can't seem to find it.

Baby Fisk
01-29-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT ONE? I am looking for one (at a decent price) and can't seem to find it.
There's not many people who rave about those unies. They were the first ones I was exposed to as a young Sox fan and will always be my favourite! I WISH THEY WOULD WEAR THESE UNIES ON A THROWBACK DAY!

Unfortunately, they are hard to find. Mitchell & Ness manufactures them in navy or home white with #72 (no name) on the back. I bought it as a gift to myself for Xmas, and the sad truth is that I had to pay through the nose. There's an online company that has TONNES of historic Sox jerseys, caps & jackets if you have the bucks...

Dugout-Memories.com (http://www.dugout-memories.com/whitesox.html)

If the price is too steep, you can always search on eBay. I did see a navy 1980 Fisk jersey for sale there many moons ago. Good Luck! :cool:

jabrch
01-29-2004, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I figured as much. Those things are not all that commonly found anymore - and the M&N ones are so damn expensive.

I am not going to spend $250 on a jersey right now....oh well

ewokpelts
01-29-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Wow, I was going to ask about that too. Pretty weird. Not as bad as those 1983 majestic sox jerseys that are grey, pink and green. I saw one of them at Finish line. They're awful. I own the regular one majestic has because it was only $40. Pretty cool.

http://www.finishline.com/store/images/products/xl6232wsgpk.jpg

which finishline store?
Gene

Baby Fisk
01-29-2004, 10:24 AM
Seriously, what's with the green and pink one?? It looks like a St. Paddy's Day / Gay Pride Day combo gone HORRIBLY WRONG.

anewman35
01-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
When companies start "manufacturing" a teams history,
you know things wont be good farther down the road.
The Brewers are a team Completely Guilty of this (using Milwaukee Braves logos on soda cups and beer cups back in the last year of County Stadium) They also wittingly always
refer to "Milwaukees Glorious Baseball History", then quickly
referring to some of the great Braves Teams from yesteryear.
Its another "KILEY"-esque ploy to dupe the fans into thinking
the Braves and Brewers are synonymous with each other.
Their Not. The Braves Moved. Their in Atlanta now.
They owned their division thru the 1990's. The only thing
the Brewers and Braves have in common is that they once both shared the name "Milwaukee".

I can see what you're saying, because, yes, they are different franchises. On the other hand, it's not like the Atlanta Braves have any sort of real connection anymore to the Milwaukee Braves, you know? I doubt there's anybody in the entire organization who was there back in the Milwaukee days. From that standpoint, the Milwaukee Braves and Milwaukee Brewers have more in common, because at they play in the same city.

A little poll: I know everybody hates JR. Would it be a good thing if they pulled a Cleveland Browns thing and moved the White Sox to another city, then formed a completly new expansion team called the White Sox, with a different owner?

Mots09
01-29-2004, 10:34 AM
I have worked in a sporting goods store part-time for nearly 7 years. Our store has carried Mitchell and Ness for about 2 of them. With that being said, almost 70% of the Mitchell and Ness on Ebay are fakes. Bootleg Mitchell and Ness sell like hotcakes. For example: Chicago Bulls Jordan mitchell and ness. A lot of people have been coming in the store with it on, only one problem Mitchell and Ness never produced a Jordan jersey.

Moral of the story, just becareful what you buy on Ebay. A lot of people on there trying to scam you.

daveeym
01-29-2004, 10:36 AM
It's no different then when the hiphop rage was yellow sox hats or blue sox hats. Obviously that green and pink jersey is something that may appeal to the ladies.

Baby Fisk
01-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
A little poll: I know everybody hates JR. Would it be a good thing if they pulled a Cleveland Browns thing and moved the White Sox to another city, then formed a completly new expansion team called the White Sox, with a different owner?

This is what happens when the Sox do little in the off-season and fans are left to concoct hallucinatory scenarios to amuse ourselves.

newman, maybe it would be easier to build a time machine and go back to Brooklyn to make sure JR's parents never met? :cool:

jabrch
01-29-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
which finishline store?
Gene

You can find it on-line at finishline.com

ewokpelts
01-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
You can find it on-line at finishline.com

well...it looks liek it's gone...if anyone's looking for a 4xl 83 jersey, go to eastbay.com...64 bucks
Gene

santo=dorf
01-29-2004, 01:23 PM
I have the 1985 jersey from the Cooperstown Collection with my name on it (in RED letters, :angry: .) Are Mitchell and Ness related to the people who put out the Cooperstown Collection or the G-III jerseys?

Mots09
01-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Mitchell and Ness is not affiliated with GIII. M and N is it's own company, but do put "cooperstown classics" on thier jerseys. Cooperstown Classic can be put on anything as long as you are licensed with MLB.

www.mitchellandness.com

Dan Gelo
01-29-2004, 03:14 PM

Yeah, that would be great. Especially if they won the world series right after they left, just like the browns/ravens of Art Modell. I would probably be as happy as Cleveland football fans.

santo=dorf
01-29-2004, 03:53 PM

I know this is off-topic, but are true Cleveland Browns fans fans of Baltimore, the new Browns, or both teams?

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-29-2004, 03:58 PM
I got the the 83 jersey for $40 because footlocker/eastbay/champs had it online for $59.99 and there was a 30% friends and family discount so it knocked down the price to $40.