PDA

View Full Version : How Many Games

soxwon
01-28-2004, 08:57 PM
1.how many sox games have you attended in your life?
2. when was your first game- who did the sox play?
3. do you keep score? how many scorecards do you still have?

just curious

ive been to
1. over 600 games
2. ny yankees 1965 joe horlen-whitey ford
3 yes i keep score, i have close to 400 scorecards.
i wish i had my first one but...

dickallen15
01-28-2004, 09:07 PM
I don't know how many I've gone to, but I am a season ticketholder for 14 years and go to 50-60 games a year now. My first game was when I was 4, I don't remember who they were playing, but it was helmet day and a doubleheader. My dad and I sat on the firstbase side in the first row of the upper deck. My dad caught a foul ball and put it in my helmet. I've been addicted ever since. The guy I have tickets with was going to start keeping score last year, but didn't. I was too busy booing Manuel.

batmanZoSo
01-28-2004, 09:10 PM
I've been to about 30 games and their collective record is in the high 300's percentage wise, including a record 8 game losing streak with moi in attendance.

My first game that I can remember (I'd been to a few at the old park but when I was 6 or younger) was in 92 against the Twins and we won 19-11. Fernandez was rocked in the first, but we came right back. Fisk homered, George Bell homered, and so did the immortal Esteban Beltre.

I never kept score in my life. I always thought the scoreboards did a fine job. Never got that whole thing. Plus I haven't the foggiest how to do it anyway.

ChiSox21
01-28-2004, 09:13 PM
Last year i went to two Sox games and they were 2 and 0
I went to one scrubs game and it was awesome cuz they lost 14 to 6

ChiSox21
01-28-2004, 09:17 PM
2003 Sox 2-0 Scrubs 0-1
2002 Sox 2-1 Scrubs 0-1
2001 Scrubs 1-1
2000 Sox 1-0
This brings my total to as far as I can remember to be The Sox are 5-1 and the Scrubs are 1-3 not bad. This includes the Sox-Scrubs game i went to and the Sox came back from 8 runs to win.

Iwritecode
01-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by soxwon 1.how many sox games have you attended in your life?

I don't know the exact number but I think it's less than 10. They've only won 3 of them. 2 against the Cubs and 1 against the Twins.

Originally posted by soxwon 2. when was your first game- who did the sox play?

Way back in either 91 or 92. I honestly don't remember. They played Oakland and lost.

Originally posted by soxwon 3. do you keep score? how many scorecards do you still have?

I rarely even get a scorecard much less keep score. If I bring my friend (which I usually do) he does it for me.

soxfan26
01-28-2004, 10:03 PM
I would say my total is somewhere around 50 in my life.

Most of then at Old Comiskey and a handful at Camden Yards. I have only been the new park once in 1998.

I have been to over 400 minor league games however. Including:

Colorado Springs (AAA)
Nashville (AAA)
Frederick (A)
Prince William/Potomac (A)

I worked at the PW county stadium in high school '92-'94 (they were a Yankee affiliate at the time) During that time I saw a few big names roll through here including:Pettitte, Posada, JT Snow, Sterling Hitchcock, Brad Ausmus, Andy Fox and Lyle Mouton.

I still remember watching Chipper Jones (Durham) hit a homer over the top of the Marlboro man. That was the first time I ever truly saw a stadium silenced by the crack of the bat, I thought he hit it to Mars...

whitesoxwilkes
01-28-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
1.how many sox games have you attended in your life?
2. when was your first game- who did the sox play?
3. do you keep score? how many scorecards do you still have?

just curious

ive been to
1. over 600 games
2. ny yankees 1965 joe horlen-whitey ford
3 yes i keep score, i have close to 400 scorecards.
i wish i had my first one but...

1. Around 120 at the cell--also seen them play in MN, Tampa and the Urinal.
2. 1997 vs Texas
3. I've kept score at EVERY game I have been to since I was 14...that's at least 300 games. There have been times I haven't even been able to stand up from being so drunk, but I still keep score.

mike squires
01-28-2004, 10:17 PM
I've attended slightly around 50 games. My first game was in August of '83 and had the pleasure of watching Luzinski hit the roof off of Oil Can Boyd. I remember holding on to the yellow poles and feeling the vibration of the fireworks, I could feel it in my stomach. I also saw Carl Yaztremski's last at bat in old Comiskey. After taht game there were a long stretch of losses that I can't even count. They've done better with me in attendence as of late.

I don't really keep score. I know they say it makes you feel like you are part of the game but I find it just the opposite and miss a lot of it. I like to observe and look around.

One thing I do hate is...The Sox rarely change the vocer of their programs. It's the same all season long. I would buy a new one every time if they would change the covers.

chisoxmike
01-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Wow, I have all the ticket stubs to every sox game I've been to.
So, here it is...

My first game was on Sun May 9 1993 vs. the Cleveland Indians and the last game I went to was Wed. Sept 24, 2003 vs. the Yankees.

Through that time I have been to 77 games

I used to keep score when I was young (9 and 10) but don't anymore.

chisoxfan79
01-28-2004, 11:17 PM
I have been to probaly between 40 and 50 games at the cell my first White Sox game was in 92 against The Tigers and they lost in 13 innings. I have probaly seen them lose more than win. I been through two different eight game losing streaks when I have went. The best game that I saw was when Carlos Lee hit the walkoff homerun against the scrubs. I have also seen them play in Cleveland last year, Atlanta,Milwaukee, and the world's biggest Urianal.

duke of dorwood
01-28-2004, 11:34 PM
I've been to more opening days than you younger fans have been to games. Missed one opener since 1969. I cant even estimate how many games.

nut_stock
01-28-2004, 11:55 PM
I dug out my ticket stubs for this one....

At Comiskey, I've been to 11 Sox games. The Sox won 6 of them.

At Wrigley, I've been to 2 Sox games. The Sox won both of them.

At Busch, I've been to 8 Sox games. The Sox only won 2 of them.

Overall the Sox are 10-11 with me inattendance, ..... mediocre.... go figure....

For 2004 Im planning on seeing one Sox game at Comiskey, and one in Jacob's field.

Oh yeah, My first game ever was a 4-0 loss to the Minnesota Twins on Friday June 20th, 1997. I sat in Box 531, row 8, seat 2. At that time the cost of the ticket was $13. In all honesty I really wasn't that disappointed that the Sox lost that game as I had simply just wanted to go to Comiskey for 7 years prior to that. (I started following baseball around 1990 ish when I was 9. Back then I got hooked on this cool looking new logo, the BIG HURT, being from a city I had just enjoyed on a vacation ,and an ILLINOIS team other than the Cubs! (funny thing about that is that I knew they were perrenial losers except for '89 but I new nothing about the Sox, but neither did anyone else around me, preventing all the negative vibes I so routinely hear today.)
(oh and on top of it all , I've lived my entire life approximately 35 miles from Busch Stadium and have been seen wearing my
home white Sox jersey in the bleachers in St. Louis rooting on
the Sox)

Dont' get me wrong I like the cardinals too, but at a distant second, but I was hooked by the Sox machine at an early age.

I've even managed to brainwash my 2 nephews at very early ages to like the White Sox...oh yeh....and to dislike the cubs.

npdempse
01-29-2004, 12:02 AM
I only got really into baseball in 2000, and went to my first game at Comiskey in 2001, vs. Boston, and Biddle got blown out in I think the second inning. Went to another game that season, several in 2002, and had a split package last year. So a total of about 35.

I've kept score only once or twice. It's kind of hard work, especially if there's somebody there you enjoy talking to, but I do enjoy having all that info at my fingertips. That's why Gameday rocks so much.

CubKilla
01-29-2004, 12:39 AM
1. No idea
2. No idea
3. No

munchman33
01-29-2004, 01:00 AM
I've only been going to games since 1997, but I've been to exactly 247 games at Comiskey/Cell (including the All-Star Game). I still have the ticket stub for every one of those games.

Sad
01-29-2004, 03:17 PM
I can't remember how many games-

started going back in the mid 70's when I was ten or so years old w/ my folks (one-two games a year?) Harry Caray was announcing for us back then as I remember meeting him on field once before a game...

then there was a few years of no games as Dad decided he was done with sports and driving into the city :(:

once I could legally drive / had wheels :cool: I hit about 6 games a year and have every year since... I remember I'd always try to attend a Double-Header if possible...

anybody remember when Double-Headers were eliminated and only used for make-ups?

KingXerxes
01-29-2004, 03:36 PM
First Game - I saw the White Sox sweep a double header from Washington (1967 or 1968 - can't quite remember).

Number of games - Anywhere from twenty to thirty per year, except in the late-70's when I practically lived at Comiskey Park.

Do I score the game? Yes. Number of scorecards kept? Zero.

Baby Fisk
01-29-2004, 03:42 PM
1. Approx two dozen games @ Toronto or Detroit.
2. 1992 vs. Jays at Skydome...scored a bunch of autographs from Alvarez, Fernandez, Thigpen...and Terry Leach!
3. No: hands are too busy holding beers. :gulp:

voodoochile
01-29-2004, 03:45 PM
My guess would be 300-400, but I don't know.

I don't keep score, though I did a bit as a kid. I don't have those score cards.

I remember seeing Dick Allen live at Comiskey so I would have been 9 or 10 years old at the time. I wasn't a Sox fan then just a kid who went to a ball game with his family.

SSN721
01-29-2004, 03:49 PM
I think I ahve been to around 40 games, about 10 at old Comiskey and the rest at the Cell. My first game I remember my father took the day school ended and we drove down. Not clearly sure but I am pretty sure they played the Brewers that day, a few homers were hit, the fireworks got me hooked at that age. That and of course the time with my father there, now I try to get him to come to opening days with me, try to get a new tradition started that way :D:

I have never tried keeping score before and never really had any interest in doing so, to me always seemed like a distraction.

Lip Man 1
01-29-2004, 08:20 PM
About 75.

My first game in person was July 15, 1963 (I was eight, with my mom and uncle) Gary Peters threw a one hitter in beating Baltimore 4-0. Martin and McCraw hit home runs. The only guy to get a hit off him was HOF pitcher Robin Roberts a little bloop. Pretty special first game!

I've got to about 75 games the most coming in 1972. I have some of my scorecards but not all of them. I still have the one from 76 that Minoso, Gossage and Garr signed.

Lip