PDA

View Full Version : Williams Q & A

Lip Man 1
01-28-2004, 08:01 PM
On the "official" Sox web site White Sox. com they have a brand new 20 question interview with Ken Williams.

I suggest everyone read it. I'll refrain from making any comments until others have posted their responses.

I think everyone will find it interesting.

Lip

depy48
01-28-2004, 08:12 PM
i just read it,
I think William's fields the questions nicely, and as result leaves the reader with some hope. I was most intriqued with hsi response to the Bartolo Colon issue, and the Billy Koch debacle. To me, it seems, that KW doesnt have faith in Koch. I, however, still hold out hope that Koch will be succesful.

SoxxoS
01-28-2004, 08:15 PM
Linkage (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040128&content_id=631753&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

SoxxoS
01-28-2004, 08:17 PM
I don't understand the Bartolo question. KW says that their would have been some "balancing" if Colon signed with us to stay at budget. How does that work? Would trading Magglio have been a necessity? I don't get that one at all.

ewokpelts
01-28-2004, 08:30 PM
ok article...but i wasnt happy with kenny's relutance to discuss financial issues...his claim that we dont want to hear about it is kinda wack....he need to hear it so that we can understand why he makes certian moves, or negotiates a certain way...
Gene

jabrch
01-28-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I don't understand the Bartolo question. KW says that their would have been some "balancing" if Colon signed with us to stay at budget. How does that work? Would trading Magglio have been a necessity? I don't get that one at all.

That meant that if they signed Colon, they wouldn't have been able to keep everyone else - Frank is here, so it meant maybe Magglio or Carlos would have been gone.

Lip Man 1
01-28-2004, 08:44 PM
After reading the entire interview I was struck by the following thoughts:

1. Williams is an extremely smooth operator who can nimbly dodge sensative questions.

2. He failed to answer any of those difficult questions directly instead hinting, highlighting, using comparisons and rhetoric to avoid doing so and in some cases confusing the issue(s) even more.

3. He made the Magglio Ordonez situation appear to be Mags fault and wouldn't give concrete figures about what the Sox were offering (so fans could judge for themselves)

4. Ditto for Bartolo Colon. (as others at this site have speculated in reality, the Sox offer to Colon was a token one with the Sox knowing he wouldn't accept it because they wouldn't give him the number of years as well as the deferred money angle.)

5. His saying he was misquoted, i.e. blaming the media for his comments linking fan support with player acquisitions was ludicrous. I posted his exact quote from White Sox. com the official Sox house organ not the Sun Times. He wasn't misquoted but he hopes to shift the blame again to the 'bad, mean, anti-Sox, vindictive' media. Just like his assinine comments about the media when he gave his state of the Sox address to the players on the first day of spring training 2002. He's making those claims because he's getting ripped apart for revealing what passes for Sox strategy.

6. Naturally he dodged all financial questions. Typical. As I have asked in the past why hasn't the Sox ever given fans an attendence figure needed for the organization to make money AND field a championship caliber club. They won't because it's easier (and better) to cloud the situation and blame the fans.

My overall impression is that the timing of this story is no coincidence with Sox fest starting on Friday . He's trying to placate the masses. Pretty lame. I expected better from him.

Lip

Jjav829
01-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

I definitely think that would have been the case. That's what I felt before, and reading into his comments, I think that's the direction he was going. Maggs is the only player that could have completely made up for Colon's salary unless it was heavily backloaded in which case Konerko may have done it.

SoxxoS
01-28-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I definitely think that would have been the case. That's what I felt before, and reading into his comments, I think that's the direction he was going. Maggs is the only player that could have completely made up for Colon's salary unless it was heavily backloaded in which case Konerko may have done it.

I should of realized. With this organization, it is never add + add it's always addition + subtraction.

SEALgep
01-28-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
ok article...but i wasnt happy with kenny's relutance to discuss financial issues...his claim that we dont want to hear about it is kinda wack....he need to hear it so that we can understand why he makes certian moves, or negotiates a certain way...
Gene
A reason for it is that people like Boras also hear it, and they use it to their advantage. It's in the fans interest not to discuss the matter openly. Even other organizations can use it in trade negotiations if they think we are in dire need to cut payroll. It's best that they know and we generally know.

SEALgep
01-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

1. Williams is an extremely smooth operator who can nimbly dodge sensative questions.

2. He failed to answer any of those difficult questions directly instead hinting, highlighting, using comparisons and rhetoric to avoid doing so and in some cases confusing the issue(s) even more.

3. He made the Magglio Ordonez situation appear to be Mags fault and wouldn't give concrete figures about what the Sox were offering (so fans could judge for themselves)

4. Ditto for Bartolo Colon. (as others at this site have speculated in reality, the Sox offer to Colon was a token one with the Sox knowing he wouldn't accept it because they wouldn't give him the number of years as well as the deferred money angle.)

5. His saying he was misquoted, i.e. blaming the media for his comments linking fan support with player acquisitions was ludicrous. I posted his exact quote from White Sox. com the official Sox house organ not the Sun Times. He wasn't misquoted but he hopes to shift the blame again to the 'bad, mean, anti-Sox, vindictive' media. Just like his assinine comments about the media when he gave his state of the Sox address to the players on the first day of spring training 2002. He's making those claims because he's getting ripped apart for revealing what passes for Sox strategy.

6. Naturally he dodged all financial questions. Typical. As I have asked in the past why hasn't the Sox ever given fans an attendence figure needed for the organization to make money AND field a championship caliber club. They won't because it's easier (and better) to cloud the situation and blame the fans.

My overall impression is that the timing of this story is no coincidence with Sox fest starting on Friday . He's trying to placate the masses. Pretty lame. I expected better from him.

Lip

I didn't get that from anything he said except for #1. Maggs said he wants to wait to see what he's worth. That's not KW's fault. What's he supposed to do, he's tried on more than one occasion and always got the same response.

Of course he wanted Colon, you really think he didn't offer the fourth year as a conspiracy move to fool fans. That's a good imagination. Signing Colon to a fourth year has a lot of risk to it, and it may end up hurting Anaheim.

He didn't say he was misquoted, he was misinterpreted. He said he hopes the team performs well to make fans want to come out and support them. Okay, what's the problem.

It's in the fans best interest not to know all the details of the finance, because teams and agents use that information to their advantage in potential deals. We all know the general of the finances, he just didn't want to get into too much detail. Again, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Lip Man 1
01-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Seal:

With this organization having a history of being distrusted by the fan base and with this organization having made (I think you'll agree) a number of bad PR moves maybe it's time for a new policy don't you think?

This could have been a fine place to start a new policy of truth, openness and honesty.

Instead:

"It's the same old story, same old song and dance, my friend" - Aerosmith

"It's the same old song" - 4 Tops

and with respect we are talking about semantics here, misquoted...misinterpreted. It's the same thing in my opinion. He was trying to blame the media for twisting things out of his mouth. Like I said the quote was printed first in White Sox. com, the team's house organ. How could it have been twisted? They printed exactly what he said. If the fans come out in the early part of the season that will directly effect the ability to make moves in June and July.

How much clearer can the threat be?

Lip

soxfan26
01-28-2004, 09:39 PM
My first reaction is that KW supplied the company line straight and true. They seemed like canned answers, he has definitely mastered the art of talking for 10 minutes and saying nothing.

Did anyone from WSI get a question in on that interview, or were our questions seething with too much venom for him?

SEALgep
01-28-2004, 09:48 PM
I can certainly understand a concern, but I genuinely believe KW is doing whats in the Sox and us fans best interest. He's a straight up man. I think some of the poor PR moves have been unfairly put on KW's shoulders. He isn't responsible for them, and thus shouldn't change how he runs the organization. We have a difference in opinion on KW, that's obvious, which is fine. I just believe he is a very good GM, and I trust what he says. He has no motive to be cheap or rip off the fans, as he has no ownership. I really believe he wants to win, and I like his approach in doing so. He takes risks, sometimes he gets things wrong, but I don't believe he is trying to screw the fans over. Nor do I believe is he hiding the truth. I believe he is protecting the fans by not disclosing vital information that can be used against the club. Theres a reason why he does certain things, this included, and he doesn't mind taking heat on it because he knows he's doing the right thing. I respect that very much.

dickallen15
01-28-2004, 09:56 PM
The big reason for the budget crunch is because KW is not a good GM. He has made some decent trades, but his handling of contracts has been horrible. Konerko and Koch, their contracts have hamstrung this team. Exercising Valentin's option when he said he would sign for less was very questionable. He wanted to sign Roberto Alomar for $2 million with another $1 million deferred initially. It appears Reinsdorf put the kibosh on that. Alomar signs with Arizona for $1 million with $300,000 of it deferred.

Lip Man 1
01-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Seal:

Again with respect I like Kenny too, he seems to be a man's man but let's not forget who he works for and most importantly he knew that going in (to paraphrase Rich King.)

and the bottom line whether we like Kenny, respect him, think he's doing a good job or not is winning.

What exactly have the Sox won under his stewardship? and by the same token how many years do you give him to accomplish this?

Lip

SEALgep
01-28-2004, 10:01 PM
He wanted to sign Roberto Alomar for $2 million with another $1 million deferred initially. It appears Reinsdorf put the kibosh on that. Alomar signs with Arizona for $1 million with $300,000 of it deferred.

JR didn't pull it off the table, Alomar was insulted by the deal. He stayed a FA and didn't get a better offer anywhere else. That was his call. 2 million doesn't sound bad when you're getting another million deferred, especially because he would get it again next year. He thought he was worth more, but he was wrong. Anything more than that would have been a rip off for us anyway. I don't hate the guy, but he is trying to blame the Sox for his inaccurate belief of his worth.

As far as Koch and Konerko, they are both very good players who underperformed. Their contracts were fair to the market at the time they were given. That's not KW's fault.

SEALgep
01-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Seal:

Again with respect I like Kenny too, he seems to be a man's man but let's not forget who he works for and most importantly he knew that going in (to paraphrase Rich King.)

and the bottom line whether we like Kenny, respect him, think he's doing a good job or not is winning.

What exactly have the Sox won under his stewardship? and by the same token how many years do you give him to accomplish this?

Lip

I agree winning is the key. However, KW's job is to put the talent on the field. The previous seasons we have been the favorites on paper. With Manuel at the helm, whether it was directly his fault or not, we have underperformed. KW is now trying something a little different. Whether it appears we have less talent and a rogue manager, I see an energetic manager with grinders to develop to play his style of game. The style has proven effective with the Marlins, but also te Twins who always seem to have our number with less talent. I gotta tell you, although I think we could be better, I think KW is doing a good job with what he's got.

soxnut
01-28-2004, 10:42 PM

Lip

I don't know why you bothered to wait until other people responded. I'm not surprised with yours........

soxnut
01-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I didn't get that from anything he said except for #1. Maggs said he wants to wait to see what he's worth. That's not KW's fault. What's he supposed to do, he's tried on more than one occasion and always got the same response.

Of course he wanted Colon, you really think he didn't offer the fourth year as a conspiracy move to fool fans. That's a good imagination. Signing Colon to a fourth year has a lot of risk to it, and it may end up hurting Anaheim.

He didn't say he was misquoted, he was misinterpreted. He said he hopes the team performs well to make fans want to come out and support them. Okay, what's the problem.

It's in the fans best interest not to know all the details of the finance, because teams and agents use that information to their advantage in potential deals. We all know the general of the finances, he just didn't want to get into too much detail. Again, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Very nicely done...............

nodiggity59
01-28-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

I think that the offer to Colon was token. However, I think that the Sox are not stupid enough to trade Maggs STRICTLY for money purposes. Let's be honest folks, Mags will be in a White Sox uniform this year. One reason has to be that the fans wouldn't have accepted dealing Maggs for peanuts. The same goes for if we had signed Colon. A dealt Maggs for budget purposes would have been a disaster with or without Colon, and KW and JR know it.

The Sox are cheap and stupid but not asinine. They never seriously considered trading Maggs for nothing. For one thing it would have cost KW his job in this town.

Tekijawa
01-29-2004, 01:12 PM
... and ran arround out side when I read this interview with Kenny from the White Sox Home page...

Here's my favorite part, I took the liberty of adding color to some of the statements made by kenny:

Last week you said [White Sox owner] Mr. [Jerry] Reinsdorf was not in it for a profit, but what did you mean by that statement? As a baseball fan, I believe that when you make a profit you are able to make the product you are trying to sell worth buying. -- Joe Prince

Williams: I will temporary grant myself an injunction to discuss something again our fans don't want to hear me discussing. What I meant by that statement is that whatever comes in, in terms of revenue, Jerry is willing to send right back out the door to make this team the best it can be . He's more interested in that than he is in pocketing any of the revenue . As for the second part of your statement, I'm sure as any businessman, he would like to have it both ways. But at this juncture, he will settle for a winner on the field.
The rest of the BS, PC answers:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040128&content_id=631753&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

pudge
01-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
... and ran arround out side when I read this interview with Kenny from the White Sox Home page...

Here's my favorite part, I took the liberty of adding color to some of the statements made by kenny:

Last week you said [White Sox owner] Mr. [Jerry] Reinsdorf was not in it for a profit, but what did you mean by that statement? As a baseball fan, I believe that when you make a profit you are able to make the product you are trying to sell worth buying. -- Joe Prince

Williams: I will temporary grant myself an injunction to discuss something again our fans don't want to hear me discussing. What I meant by that statement is that whatever comes in, in terms of revenue, Jerry is willing to send right back out the door to make this team the best it can be . He's more interested in that than he is in pocketing any of the revenue . As for the second part of your statement, I'm sure as any businessman, he would like to have it both ways. But at this juncture, he will settle for a winner on the field.
The rest of the BS, PC answers:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040128&content_id=631753&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Ya know, some of you guys act like any other GM in KW's position would have answered those questions differently. They all answer in the same political fashion. If someone was interviewing me about my boss, I wouldn't trash him, or even hint at trashing him, because I'd prefer to stay employed.

I'd just like to see KW judged on his moves and not on his answers to the media.

Tekijawa
01-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by pudge
I'd just like to see KW judged on his moves and not on his answers to the media.

What makes you think he'd be judged any better? If I were him I'd focus on the Budget constraints to take the Focus of the fact that we have a bad over paid SS, no second baseman no matter how you spin it, a 6.5 million dollar set up Liability, and Scott Schoenweise as a STARTER in our rotation and 4th at that.

pudge
01-29-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
What makes you think he'd be judged any better? If I were him I'd focus on the Budget constraints to take the Focus of the fact that we have a bad over paid SS, no second baseman no matter how you spin it, a 6.5 million dollar set up Liability, and Scott Schoenweise as a STARTER in our rotation and 4th at that.

I didn't say he'd be judged better, but I think those criticisms are much more valid than how he responds to the media's questioning.

ode to veeck
01-31-2004, 03:07 PM
JR didn't pull it off the table, Alomar was insulted by the deal

I could be wrong, but I thought the Sox did rescind the offer after things went south ... and Robbie was the real loser, signing for less with the DBacks and not finishing up with his brother

soxwon
01-31-2004, 07:34 PM
where in the website is the interview, i cant seem to find it?

ode to veeck
01-31-2004, 07:44 PM
KW Q&As (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040128&content_id=631753&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

here's the link