PDA

View Full Version : More praise from previous draft...

Randar68
01-28-2004, 10:42 AM
In addition to the first-glance great draft and signings of most of the improtant picks, BA came out with their "top 50" college prospects for each class list today.

On the freshmen list, 4 White Sox draftees made the list:

6) Wes Hodges, 3B/SS, Georgia Tech (White Sox 13th round)
40) Ricky Brooks, rhp, East Carolina (White Sox 11th round)
46) Guillermo Martinez, ss, South Alabama (White Sox 17th round)
48) Greg Moviel, lhp, Vanderbilt (White Sox 15th round)

And frankly, from what I have seen of him, Donald Veal should have been on the latter 1/3rd of this list at the very least. Hodges was the real gem of the unsigned picks. He is going to be a stud, and probably drafted in the top couple rounds when he becomes draft eligible again. Hopefully, the White Sox will keep an eye on him, because he is just too gifted a player to not succeed barring injury. Ball explodes off his bat.

Pretty damn good draft when you consider Anderson, Sweeney, Valido, Nanita and the many other very good prospects in addition to the ones left unsigned.

Frater Perdurabo
01-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Is it too late for the Sox to sign any of them now from last year's draft?

34 Inch Stick
01-28-2004, 10:56 AM
Luckily we have no need for short stop prospects at any level of the organization.

Randar68
01-28-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Is it too late for the Sox to sign any of them now from last year's draft?

Yes, all of the listed, as well as Veal, became ineligible the minute they attended their first class at their chosen school where they are on scholarship.

'Draft and Follow' only applies to Junior College players.

Randar68
01-28-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Luckily we have no need for short stop prospects at any level of the organization.

I take it that was supposed to be in teal???

Hodges is likely a 3B in terms of pro potential. I did like him at SS in HS and he has the athletic ability to play there in college, but once he starts adding some strength and bulk, he'll be too big for SS, IMO.

In terms of SS prospects, the Sox may have landed the best (long term) in last year's draft in Robert Valido. Martinez was his teammate in HS in Miami, but Valido is the real deal. He's already the best defensive SS in the organization, and that is pretty rare in a SS that young...

Hangar18
01-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

And frankly, from what I have seen of him, Donald Veal should have been on the latter 1/3rd of this list at the very least. Hodges was the real gem of the unsigned picks. He is going to be a stud, and probably drafted in the top couple rounds when he becomes draft eligible again. Hopefully, the White Sox will keep an eye on him, because he is just too gifted a player to not succeed barring injury. Ball explodes off his bat.

Isnt this a Slap in the White Sox Face in reality then? They signed some of their Good Picks, but Left these guys Unsigned, to go back in the Draft and right to the Cubs and other teams to pick from? Im happy about the guys we signed, but isnt this
a longterm problem that has hurt us? NOt signing our picks?
What are the chances we draft them again and make up
for the mistake of Not Signing them?

joecrede
01-28-2004, 11:25 AM
In addition to the first-glance great draft and signings of most of the improtant picks, BA came out with their "top 50" college prospects for each class list today.

On the freshmen list, 4 White Sox draftees made the list:

The reason these guys were available in the rounds they were drafted in is because they were considered difficult signs. I read speculation that had the Sox not been able to sign Sweeney, the fall back plan was to use his money for one or two off that list. It's an interesting and pretty good strategy I think. I hope they employ it again in future drafts.

SEALgep
01-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Isnt this a Slap in the White Sox Face in reality then? They signed some of their Good Picks, but Left these guys Unsigned, to go back in the Draft and right to the Cubs and other teams to pick from? Im happy about the guys we signed, but isnt this
No, that's baseball. This happens to all organizations. These kids see what their worth now, and a lot of times try to increase their value at college. They were late picks, so they believe they can play well at school and get more later on. Trust me, other teams had the same scenerio.

Hangar18
01-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
The reason these guys were available in the rounds they were drafted in is because they were considered difficult signs. I read speculation that had the Sox not been able to sign Sweeney, the fall back plan was to use his money for one or two off that list. It's an interesting and pretty good strategy I think. I hope they employ it again in future drafts.

This kind of answered my previous question, thanks for the
insight on this

Randar68
01-28-2004, 11:43 AM

Here's the jist of it:

MLB has cracked down on high round $$$$ going to guys in the later rounds, in fact, in this draft, any signing bonus over a certain amount (I can't remember, but it was a small amount like 60K) after the 10th round had to be run past league officials before being approved (essentially restricting teams' signings of most of these types of guys unless they couldn't come to terms with their early picks). Veal was demanding 1 million, and I'm certain the others in this list other than Martinez were asking in that ballpark. The Sox couldn't really sign them because of the league mandate and the Sox managed to sign all their early picks.

It was a comment more towards the excellent talent evaluation and scouting the organization does of North American talent. Had the Sox been able to come to terms with Veal, Hodges or Moviel, I probably would have had them as the top draft in the last 15 years for the White Sox. It may turn out to be that anyways, but it's just my thoughts on it as of now.

FYI, a DFE to follow is Neil Giesler out of Okaloosa-Walton (Fla.) JC. The Sox have drafted him before, but he's a freak. Very tall 1B and runs like the wind. Could be an OF'er, but he's a good 1B prospect if he can develop a little more power.

Hangar18
01-28-2004, 11:49 AM
Here's the jist of it:

MLB has cracked down on high round $$$$ going to guys in the later rounds, in fact, in this draft, any signing bonus over a certain amount (I can't remember, but it was a small amount like 60K) after the 10th round had to be run past league officials before being approved (essentially restricting teams' signings of most of these types of guys unless they couldn't come to terms with their early picks). Veal was demanding 1 million, and I'm certain the others in this list other than Martinez were asking in that ballpark. The Sox couldn't really sign them because of the league mandate and the Sox managed to sign all their early picks.

It was a comment more towards the excellent talent evaluation and scouting the organization does of North American talent. Had the Sox been able to come to terms with Veal, Hodges or Moviel, I probably would have had them as the top draft in the last 15 years for the White Sox. It may turn out to be that anyways, but it's just my thoughts on it as of now.

FYI, a DFE to follow is Neil Giesler out of Okaloosa-Walton (Fla.) JC. The Sox have drafted him before, but he's a freak. Very tall 1B and runs like the wind. Could be an OF'er, but he's a good 1B prospect if he can develop a little more power.

I see. Thanks for the Info, Very Helpful. This Giesler guy sounds intrigueing

Randar68
01-28-2004, 01:17 PM
I see. Thanks for the Info, Very Helpful. This Giesler guy sounds intrigueing

Yep, very. Also note that the Florida JC's in many cases, may play better baseball than most other "major" conferences outside the SEC, Big 12, and the Pac-10... Many high draft picks every year...