PDA

View Full Version : What about Robert Person?

SSN721
01-28-2004, 06:35 AM
Just looking through his stats, and though not overly impressive, it seems he has improved a lot the last 5-6 years. I know he is coming off elbow surgery so not sure how that will effect him. I was just thinking he is a serviceable pitcher who won 15 games only 2 years ago. I think he might have a shot at at least the 5th spot (still holding out hope we will sign one more pitcher for the 4th spot). Any thoughts or more in-depth info about his injury. I was just curious cuz it looks like he might be a sleeper rotation candidate this year and nobody has really said anything about him. Just would like to hear everyone else's take on him here.

gosox41
01-28-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
Just looking through his stats, and though not overly impressive, it seems he has improved a lot the last 5-6 years. I know he is coming off elbow surgery so not sure how that will effect him. I was just thinking he is a serviceable pitcher who won 15 games only 2 years ago. I think he might have a shot at at least the 5th spot (still holding out hope we will sign one more pitcher for the 4th spot). Any thoughts or more in-depth info about his injury. I was just curious cuz it looks like he might be a sleeper rotation candidate this year and nobody has really said anything about him. Just would like to hear everyone else's take on him here.

The problem is how many washed up pitcher's are the Sox going to take a chance on while trying to win? Loiaza worked out, but for every pitcher that has one career year after being below average for his career, there are probably 10 guys who teams take a chance on who do nothing productive.

Bob

SEALgep
01-28-2004, 07:30 AM
The problem is how many washed up pitcher's are the Sox going to take a chance on while trying to win? Loiaza worked out, but for every pitcher that has one career year after being below average for his career, there are probably 10 guys who teams take a chance on who do nothing productive.

True, but the Sox have good scouting to make determinations of who can rebound. It's a little success rate even for the best, sure, but Loaiza wasn't a fluke. A couple teams were interested, and our guys were confident with a rebound, especially with the new pitch. It was better than expected though. That's also why his option this year was for four million. That wouldn't have been so high if they thought he was just a body to fill the fifth spot. Now will Person win 21 games, most likely not. However, if he became our fifth starter, he may do well enough to get 10-13. That would be very good for a fifth guy, and not out of the question for a guy who won 15 two years ago. We'll just have to see, if he struggles too much, we have other options.

carusochop
01-28-2004, 08:39 AM
When the transaction was posted on Rotoworld.com , they said that because of surgeries Person wouldn't have the stamina to be a SP and that the Sox we're going to use him as a reliever.

SEALgep
01-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by carusochop
When the transaction was posted on Rotoworld.com , they said that because of surgeries Person wouldn't have the stamina to be a SP and that the Sox we're going to use him as a reliever.
That could valuable as well. Gagne was a failed starter turned closer. Besides, I would rather have Grilli in the fifth spot from what I've heard thus far. Granted, whoever performs in ST should be given the position, but Grilli's attitude and what Coop has said about him gets me a little excited of what he can be.