After six innings...

Barons 8, Huntsville 3

KempersRS
09-05-2001, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Southern League West Division playoffs.

After six innings...

Barons 8, Huntsville 3

Any other numbers from that game? I know Malone was the starter.

Dadawg_77
09-05-2001, 09:38 PM
Question, Im not that up to date on minors since BA went to paid subscritpion but is there anyone on the Barons that needs to be on 40 at the end of this year? If so, will they be called up after the playoffs? I'm thinking that the Sox won't call up anyone who isn't on the 40 or doesn't need to be on 40 after this year so they can play next year if the strike/lockout happens.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-05-2001, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Question, Im not that up to date on minors since BA went to paid subscritpion but is there anyone on the Barons that needs to be on 40 at the end of this year? If so, will they be called up after the playoffs? I'm thinking that the Sox won't call up anyone who isn't on the 40 or doesn't need to be on 40 after this year so they can play next year if the strike/lockout happens.

I'm sure Randar can share more than me, but Birmingham appears stacked. The Sox do a good job keeping all their best young prospects on the same team in Birmingham. Borchard is the obvious leading prospect, but there are other guys, too.

KempersRS
09-05-2001, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

I'm sure Randar can share more than me, but Birmingham appears stacked. The Sox do a good job keeping all their best young prospects on the same team in Birmingham. Borchard is the obvious leading prospect, but there are other guys, too.

Just to give you an overall idea of the strength of the team...they were 48-12 in there final 60 games. The pitching is quite impressive and Almonte was a lock in the pen, 36 saves.

Dadawg_77
09-05-2001, 09:58 PM
I know these guys are good, but we won't see Borchard up here this year. And anyone with less then 6 years in Pro Ball doesn't need to bw on the 40 man roster in order to be protected from stuff like the rule 5 draft. I'm not sure on what I just said, but I think thats the way it works. But I do know anyone who is called up needs to be on the 40 man or get closer to needing to be on the 40 man roster. With threat of a strike, anyone who doesn't need to be on the 40 man roster most likly won't see any action this fall since they couldn't play in the minor next year if they are on the 40 man and there is a strike or lockout. So I guess, Im wondering who are the "Older" stars on the team?

LongDistanceFan
09-05-2001, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I know these guys are good, but we won't see Borchard up here this year. And anyone with less then 6 years in Pro Ball doesn't need to bw on the 40 man roster in order to be protected from stuff like the rule 5 draft. I'm not sure on what I just said, but I think thats the way it works. But I do know anyone who is called up needs to be on the 40 man or get closer to needing to be on the 40 man roster. With threat of a strike, anyone who doesn't need to be on the 40 man roster most likly won't see any action this fall since they couldn't play in the minor next year if they are on the 40 man and there is a strike or lockout. So I guess, Im wondering who are the "Older" stars on the team? Base on the labor issue, we probably would not see the real exciting players who will be in the sox uniform in the future. But there are quite a few. One player may be up is maybe darren ingram (sp) he has like 20+ homers.

I am really surprised that crede is up, he came from the team. The one player i would really like to see play is tim hummel.

CLR01
09-05-2001, 11:53 PM
Speaking of the 40 man roster and the looming strike, would it be possible for the sox to send youngsters such as burl, kip, jon, down after the season ends, and take them off the 40 man roster so they could stay lose during the strike or would we risk losing them via rule 5 draft or would they become free agents?

LongDistanceFan
09-05-2001, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by CLR01
Speaking of the 40 man roster and the looming strike, would it be possible for the sox to send youngsters such as burl, kip, jon, down after the season ends, and take them off the 40 man roster so they could stay lose during the strike or would we risk losing them via rule 5 draft or would they become free agents? I don't think so, if i remember how the ruling was being discussed. Randar would know, probably one of the other moderators.

Jerry_Manuel
09-06-2001, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
I am really surprised that crede is up, he came from the team.

Am I missing something?
Crede was in AAA with Charlotte this year not AA.

LongDistanceFan
09-06-2001, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Am I missing something?
Crede was in AAA with Charlotte this year not AA. Is crede w/the the team or not? I didn't say anything about where he came from. He is still in the minors and will lose his whatever is the issue that is preventing some of the other minors from coming up.

Jerry_Manuel
09-06-2001, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
Is crede w/the the team or not? I didn't say anything about where he came from. He is still in the minors and will lose his whatever is the issue that is preventing some of the other minors from coming up.

Yes right now Crede is on the Sox 40 man roster he was called up a few days ago.

Paulwny
09-06-2001, 06:57 AM
I feel sorry for the fans who have supported these minor league teams all year. As an example, the tribe has called up 6 players from the Bisons here as the play-offs begin, 4 starters, 1 sp, 1 reliever (our old friend Scott Radinsky). The players they supported to the play-offs are now replaced with AA players and the fans have no real relationship with them. The play-offs now become a crap shoot.

While the parent club and their fans want to see what the players can do in the ML the farm club is stripped of it's best players for the play-offs.

I realize this activity has gone on for eons, no one wants to slow down a players advancement. I wish something could be thought of, but then, when did the fans ever matter.

Randar68
09-06-2001, 09:12 AM

Well, George, you're right on that one. The Sox generally prefer to promote their good young pitchers straight from AA and to use AAA as a place where they can be sent if they struggle in the majors. This AA team has Borchard, Hummel, Malone, Ulacia, Lantigua, and Almonte, all of which are lokely to be in the top 15 prospects organization-wide....Mario Valenzuela spent about 2/3 of the season there as well. Personally, I have little doubt the Barons will win the championship.

I still think that all indications point to none of these guys being put on the 40 man roster and risking their eligibility, however, as seemingly every other team is doing such, I am starting to have serious doubts about the length or existence of a lockout. Why would so many owners allow these risks to be taken???

Randar68
09-06-2001, 09:16 AM
Speaking of the 40 man roster and the looming strike, would it be possible for the sox to send youngsters such as burl, kip, jon, down after the season ends, and take them off the 40 man roster so they could stay lose during the strike or would we risk losing them via rule 5 draft or would they become free agents?

When a player makes the 40-man roster, they must become a member of the MLB Player's Association. That affiliation creates a set of rules and conditions. These players could be sent down, and they can be added to or removed from the 40-man roster, but they have Major League contracts and are full members of the union, so in case of a lockout, they would still be ineligible.

Randar68
09-06-2001, 09:17 AM
One player may be up is maybe darren ingram (sp) he has like 20+ homers.

Daron Ingram makes Rob Deer and Russell Branyon look like disciplined hitters.....LOL!!!

LongDistanceFan
09-06-2001, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

Daron Ingram makes Rob Deer and Russell Branyon look like disciplined hitters.....LOL!!! that bad? wow.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-06-2001, 09:28 AM

When a player makes the 40-man roster, they must become a member of the MLB Player's Association. That affiliation creates a set of rules and conditions. These players could be sent down, and they can be added to or removed from the 40-man roster, but they have Major League contracts and are full members of the union, so in case of a lockout, they would still be ineligible.

Correct. These prospects become covered by the CBA negotiated by the MLBPA. They in effect become union members.

It's interesting that other teams are promoting their players while the Sox cry crocodile tears about the impending labor impasse and the inability to bring Borchard north. Why?

It's the owners who will likely lockout the players. Even if the MLBPA were to call a strike, it's unlikely they would make guys like Borchard sit out. There is no sense pissing off a guy who will likely be a union leader five years from now. Meanwhile the owners have a lot invested in these young prospects, too. ($5 million in Borchard's case). If a labor impasse begins, the first order of business will be deciding who will be allowed to play in the minors and who will not. Borchard most certainly will be given an exception along with plenty of other young prospects.

Either the Sox are taking a hardline on labor negotiations (very plausible) or they're simply covering up the real reasons they don't want Borchard playing with the parent club this September (also very plausible).

Meanwhile, don't believe what the Sox front office is saying. Nobody else is.

voodoochile
09-06-2001, 09:48 AM
Either the Sox are taking a hardline on labor negotiations (very plausible) or they're simply covering up the real reasons they don't want Borchard playing with the parent club this September (also very plausible).

Meanwhile, don't believe what the Sox front office is saying. Nobody else is.

JR is taking a hard line on negotiations and lying to the fans? Shocked I am, Sir... Shocked I tell you....

Man this is getting old...

Randar68
09-06-2001, 09:53 AM
JR is taking a hard line on negotiations and lying to the fans? Shocked I am, Sir... Shocked I tell you....

It's really a joke. JR seems to be the only owner totally paranoid about bringing up is players. Borchard an Hummel would both really benefit from the experience, but we'll see, maybe after the Barons playoffs are over, JR will look around the league and realize what a daft prick he's being....

voodoochile
09-06-2001, 10:18 AM

It's really a joke. JR seems to be the only owner totally paranoid about bringing up is players. ...maybe after the Barons playoffs are over, JR will look around the league and realize what a daft prick he's being....

Yeah, and maybe my computer will suddenly turn into a solid chunk of gold and I can retire...

JR has always wanted to have his cake and eat it too... remeber the last lockout when they tried to force MJ to join the replacements? Not all bad, as it forced MJ to quit and go back to basketball, but still. JR always has one eye on the marketing possibilities. Of course next spring,when the Sox can field this AA team and the rest of the league is struggling to find some talent, the Sox may jump out to a big lead before the big leaguers return. Which would be nice.

I wouldn't expect too many exceptions being allowed, or even if they are the players may refuse to play. Trust me the kids who are getting called up are getting a crash course in the finer points of what happens to SCABS when the regulars come back. Many of the SCABS from last time took years to find a niche in the league if they ever did at all.

What really worries me is if the owners are calling up their prospects then maybe they are also getting ready to cave in again. A token lockout followed by a full season of big leaguers and the mess continues for another 5 years. What is it going to take before both sides wake up? I guess the fans will have to go on strike again... Eventually the salaries or going to get completely out of hand (as if they aren't already) and then the haves will always win it all (as they already do).

Honestly, remember the movie hoosiers? That was before the Inidana HS system went to a divisional playoff system. We are going to need that soon enough in MLB if things continue on the way they are...