PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Advice

Pudge Fan
01-27-2004, 10:33 PM
I'm headed out to Tucson in mid-March for my first-ever spring training trip. Any advice? Places to go? Things to see? What should I expect?

I've got tickets to three games, but outside of going to those, I'm searching for things to do (both Sox and non-Sox/baseball related). Thanks!

rdivaldi
01-28-2004, 10:31 AM
I echo this request, as I will be heading out to Tucson in the first week of March to check out a couple of games.

Thanks...

jeremyb1
01-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Pudge Fan
I'm headed out to Tucson in mid-March for my first-ever spring training trip. Any advice? Places to go? Things to see? What should I expect?

I've got tickets to three games, but outside of going to those, I'm searching for things to do (both Sox and non-Sox/baseball related). Thanks!

Hmm. Mount Lemon provides some beautiful scenic views of Tucson if you have a car to drive to the top. I've always just enjoyed relaxing out by the pool if the weather is nice. There is an amazing pizza place on the university campus I'll try to remember the name of too.

soxrme
01-28-2004, 12:43 PM

If you have access to a car, the airplane graveyard in the desert between Tucson and Phoenix. Also in Phoenix area the Giants, Angels, Rangers all have nice parks that you can get into for about $5.00. But lawn tickets and enjoy.

pudge
01-28-2004, 02:18 PM
All I remember is they had a Fuddruckers in Tuscon and I ate there every night... of course, with all the mad cow stuff, that's probably not such a good idea anymore...

Clarkdog
01-28-2004, 02:36 PM
La Parrilla Suiza - 5602 Speedway in Tucson

Best mexican restaurant in Tucson and certainly the best I have ever been to.

Clembasbal
01-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Tucson is beautiful; I studied the desert there for two weeks. I would suggest going to the University for some Cool Things, students might not be around because of spring break -- all depending on which week you go there. Mt. Lemon is beautiful; you could take a trolley there and hike up most of it. There is the Arizona- Sonora Desert Museum, several Italian restaurants, the airplane graveyard is interesting (it is near the airport), there is Saguaro National Park, there are Hohokam petroglyphs (you have to ask where that might be), The Bio-sphere 2 (I would not suggest going there though, but you might want to), Sabino Canyon (my personal favorite),

Kartchner Caverns State Park (not too impressive, but neat), Tombstone and The San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area, Chiracahua National Monument, are far away but are within two hours.

Pinnacle Peak’s steakhouse, which is a "tourist-trap town" but you do not have to pay to get in. Good place for kids to go, but are great place to get steak, don't wear a tie though unless you want it to get cut off.

The Colorado Rockies are also nearby and usually there is the Tucson Open on the LPGA that takes place during spring training.

Remember, Tucson is in the middle of nowhere, it is two hours from anything - even Phoenix, so get a car!

soxwon
01-28-2004, 04:58 PM
you must go on the tour of Bank One ballpark in phoenix, they take you on the field its great, also eat at TGIF in the ballpark.
i reccomend driving to grand canyon natl park its north of phoenix, get there early to enjoy the colors.
also i reccomend going to where the oakland A'S practice in tempe the ballpark is awesome.

hose
01-28-2004, 05:00 PM

Bob Dobbs is a great sports bar to get a beer and a tasty hamburger. Mixture of locals , college students, and ball players.
I met Ray Durham and shook his hand ....nice guy.

It's right down the street from the University of Arizona and if the NCAA playoffs are going on while you are in town the bar is even that much better.

When I was there a couple of years ago , Mark Grace was sitting at the table next to me in the beer garden. He was smoking cigarettes ,drinking beer and talking to a good looking woman.
I didn't say a word to him or even acknowledge him as we passed each other going to the washroom.

Bob Dobbs -2501 E. 6th st . Tucson

SoxxoS
01-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Yeah, leave Tucson and come see the Sox play in Tempe. You will have a much better time.

Irishlawyer
01-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Funny how most of the stuff to do in AZ is non-Sox related. Enjoy the weather, see the mountains, etc...

I will say this, as a veteran of many a spring in Florida, unless things have changed, don't expect much friendly interaction with the Sox players. They're all business... just like on the field... well, not really.

GW83
01-29-2004, 02:58 PM
Any places in Tucson or Phoenix where I can get a Italian beef sandwich or a Vienna beef hot dog?

jshanahanjr
01-29-2004, 03:42 PM
I fun sports bar to watch some NCAA basketball & talk smack with the college kids.

Viva Magglio
01-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Here is a link (http://www.visittucson.org) to the Tucson Convention and Visitors Bureau. All kinds of stuff to do can be found there.

- One restaurant recommendation I have is Mama Louisa's (http://emol.org/mamalouisas/) at 2041 South Craycroft Road.

- The hotel I say at every year is the Holiday Inn Palo Verde (http://www.jqh.com/htmlsite/hotels/az/tucsonpalo/) at 4550 South Palo Verde Boulevard. This is the closest hotel to Tucson Electric Park (http://www.co.pima.az.us/tep/tep.html).

- If you are Catholic and looking for a place for Mass, St. John the Evangelist at 602 West Ajo Way is the closest Catholic church to TEP.

- Finally, you can see University of Arizona athletic events (http://arizonaathletics.ocsn.com/) at the UA campus.

Also, the folks from Tucson should have a display area set up at SoxFest this weekend.

Chisoxfn
01-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Well when your there make sure you go down to the Phoenix area at least once and catch a game down their. Its about an hour and a half drive, but the stadiums there are very nice as well.

Lots of stuff to do in the Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe area as well as in the Tuscon area.

The games are blasts cause you get to see the players and prospects, plus you get to sit closer and most everyone around you is a diehard baseball fan, so you always get to strike up conversations with really intelligent baseball people.

NCAA finals are always on around that time and if you want, quite often then have a tourney there during that time. I've caught a few college basketball games and almost always you can find someone just going to see their team and you can catch the other game well under face. Really fun.

You'll have a lot of fun. I can't wait for March to come so I can head on out there for a few days. :D:

ode to veeck
01-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Its worth buying some seats behind home plate from a broker at something higher than face value (typically still less than regular season seats at many parks). There's usually several scouts from numerous teams working the game from these seats--makes for intelligent banter during the game, and maybe a couple of tidbits on players you might not have known before---

unfortunately, my only business trip to Az this spring is a little early (10 days from now) or I'd be there too

michned
01-29-2004, 10:04 PM
As an 18-year resident of Tucson, I think I've finally found a thread where I can be of help!

March is really the absolute best month of the year to visit out here. The weather is perfect, spring training is going on, the Chrysler Tucson Classic golf tournament is happening (end of Feb.), etc., etc.

There have been lots of great suggestions of things to do in this thread. Mount Lemmon is nice, but keep in mind that it was virtually destroyed by forest fires last summer. There is (was) a town at the top called Summerhaven but it was virtually destroyed as well.

Lots of touristy type things have been mentioned, but there's nothing wrong with that - Sonoran Desert Museum (go early), Sabino Canyon (the tram ride under the moonlight is nice), lots of cool museums on the U of A campus, and my personal favorite, the Titan Missile Museum about 20 miles south in Green Valley. An actual missile (wthout the warhead, of course) and its silo, which you get to tour. Very cool.

Another thing I didn't see mentioned is Cochise County, about an hour to the east. If you're in to history, go visit Tombstone and make sure you visit the Courthouse, it's the absolute best thing in town.

As for food, bravo for Viva Magglio for mentioning Mama Louisa's, my absolute favorite Italian restaraunt. You also should try Nonie (Cajun), and another favorite, Cody's Beef and Bean. Pat's Chili Dogs is the best in town. And for an awesome Italian Beef, nothing beats Luke's, run by former Chicagoans.

If I have time I'll set up a web site with links to my favorite places down here, along with some spring training pics. If not this year, next year for sure. In the meantime, feel free to email me at buyandsell@ed-homes.com if you need suggestions or directions about anything in Tucson.

Ed