PDA

View Full Version : for those who enjoying ripping on KW chew on this


bestkosher
01-27-2004, 02:31 PM
It's a gamble to go into the season at the [salary] number we are at. Hopefully, we will play up to the level where people support us and we can look toward June and July and add more pieces to the puzzle.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040123&content_id=630580&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Intersting how he points out the fans will not show up unless they perform.

SoxxoS
01-27-2004, 02:36 PM
I really like and respect KW. The guy wants to win just as much, if not more, than all of us at WSI. That is contagious, and one day he will get the team to get us to the promise land.

The above statement will be quoted by Lip, and he will add "If not buried under Uncle Jerry's payroll constraints."

Just an FYI. :D:

joecrede
01-27-2004, 02:36 PM
Give me a $63M payroll without Koch, Konerko, and Lee. Since that is unlikely how about an astute G.M.?

Jjav829
01-27-2004, 02:37 PM
I found this interesting:

He also showed a bit of his self-deprecating side. During the press conference, Williams mentioned that Takatsu was known as "Mr. Zero" in Japan for his dominance during the postseason. Williams went on to explain that at lunch the previous day, he told Takatsu that he also was known in Chicago as "Mr. Zero."

Wonder how he knew Thursday afternoon that Takatsu was already known as Mr. Zero in Chicago? Reading WSI would be my guess... :smile:

Dadawg_77
01-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I really like and respect KW. The guy wants to win just as much, if not more, than all of us at WSI. That is contagious, and one day he will get the team to get us to the promise land.

The above statement will be quoted by Lip, and he will add "If not buried under Uncle Jerry's payroll constraints."

Just an FYI. :D:

I could care less if he wanted to win. I don't think he knows how to win.

Iwritecode
01-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by bestkosher
Intersting how he points out the fans will not show up unless they perform.

Duh!

Name a team (not the Cubs. they only draw because of the beer garden they play in) that draws well when they don't perform...

Hangar18
01-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Duh!

Name a team (not the Cubs. they only draw because of the beer garden they play in) that draws well when they don't perform...

Which reminds me of a Good Cub Joke. Went to a Beer Festival
the other day, and the Dodgers showed up

Iwritecode
01-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=272942#post272942)

Originally posted by MisterB

year - Sox attendance (ML rank) - Sox payroll (ML rank) - Top ML Payroll
1991 - 2.93M (3) - $16.8M (23) - $33.6M
1992 - 2.68M (4) - $28.4M (17) - $44.3M
1993 - 2.58M (9) - $34.6M (13) - $45.7M
1994 - 1.69M (14) - $38.4M (8) - $44.7M
1995 - 1.61M (17) - $39.6M (5) - $49.8M
1996 - 1.68M (18) - $41.9M (5) - $52.2M
1997 - 1.86M (15) - $54.4M (3) - $59.1M
1998 - 1.39M (27) - $36.8M (18) - $70.4M
1999 - 1.34M (28) - $24.6M (24) - $88.1M
2000 - 1.95M (20) - $31.2M (26) - $92.9M
2001 - 1.77M (26) - $65.6M (14) - $112.3M
2002 - 1.68M (23) - $57.1M (18) - $125.9M
2003 - 1.94M (21) - $51.0M (22) - $152.7M

Looking at this, attendance has always been linked to how well the team does. 91, 92, 93 were mostly due to the new staduim and the fact that they won the division in 93. 94 and 95 were low because of the strike. They lost a lot of fans those years. 96 and 97 attendance gradually started going up until the WFT hit. They bottomed out in 97 and 98 because the team was barely worth watching. 2000 was huge because again they won the division. A pretty good spike in attendance for a team that came out of nowhere. 01 and 02 the team dropped off and so did attendance. Last year was helped partly by the AS game but a lot of it came in the second half when the team was still contending. This year if the team contends again, the number may go up. If they drop back to 2nd or 3rd again, look for it to drop...

hillbilly
01-27-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Duh!

Name a team (not the Cubs. they only draw because of the beer garden they play in) that draws well when they don't perform...

The Detroit Baseball Tigers

MisterB
01-27-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Wonder how he knew Thursday afternoon that Takatsu was already known as Mr. Zero in Chicago? Reading WSI would be my guess... :smile:

You missed it. Kenny was saying that he's known as Mr. Zero as well (for obvious reasons :D: ).

Jjav829
01-27-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
You missed it. Kenny was saying that he's known as Mr. Zero as well (for obvious reasons :D: ).

Ahh gotcha. I kinda stopped reading the article after that. I should have read on and I probably would have picked up on what he really meant. :smile:

CubKilla
01-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by bestkosher
It's a gamble to go into the season at the [salary] number we are at. Hopefully, we will play up to the level where people support us and we can look toward June and July and add more pieces to the puzzle.

Intersting how he points out the fans will not show up unless they perform.

I take that as show up to see the team, as is, right now, full of holes, or what you see is what you get.

SEALgep
01-27-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I take that as show up to see the team, as is, right now, full of holes, or what you see is what you get.

You could take it that way, but you would be wrong. He is clearly squaring the responsibility on the team, right or wrong. He knows the fans will show up for a contender, so he says he hopes the team contends so the fans come out. Not the other way around.