PDA

View Full Version : KW Will be on wgn 720 in 3 minutes.

Northside fan
01-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Thought I would pass the info along to you guys.

ChiSox21
01-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Thanks your not to bad for a Scrub fan, I might go listen to this

Northside fan
01-26-2004, 07:29 PM
Most of you have been cool to me. No problem at all. But sheesh, on the radio home of the Cubs?

PaleHoseRon
01-26-2004, 07:30 PM
For those of us who can't get the station, please keep us informed on what is said.

ChiSox21
01-26-2004, 07:33 PM
listening to it right now KW is talking about the lack of sox moves.

soxfan26
01-26-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox21
listening to it right now KW is talking about the lack of sox moves.

Lack of Sox moves? I didn't notice...

ChiSox21
01-26-2004, 07:38 PM
KW says that Brian Cashman the yanks Gm says he was fearful of the ChiSox if they were to make the playoffs that they would run the table.

PaleHoseRon
01-26-2004, 07:40 PM
Now I know he didn't say that!!! :D:

jabrch
01-26-2004, 07:41 PM
KW says that Brian Cashman the yanks Gm says he was fearful of the ChiSox if they were to make the playoffs that they would run the table.

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

Northside fan
01-26-2004, 07:41 PM
He said he expects Garland to win 15 games this year. I doubt that will happen.

jeremyb1
01-26-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Northside fan

He's won 12 each of the past two seasons. I can think of a lot of occurances less likely to happen.

ChiSox21
01-26-2004, 07:44 PM
:KW
Most of the teams in baseball have a low budget.

What a bunch of bs

PaleHoseRon
01-26-2004, 07:47 PM

Maybe he really meant the AL Central. :gulp: :gulp:

soxfan26
01-26-2004, 07:47 PM

What a bunch of bs

Looks to me like it is a little less than half...

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=chw)

ChiSox21
01-26-2004, 07:48 PM
He said with exception of a few teams (Yanks Mets and Northsiders) most teams are struggling w/ money. OK KW

Northside fan
01-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Says he really is going to miss Graffinino. He sounded hurt when talking about him.

RKMeibalane
01-26-2004, 07:50 PM
Says he really is going to miss Graffinino. He sounded hurt when talking about him.

Then why didn't he re-sign him?

ChiSox21
01-26-2004, 07:50 PM
I thought the Frank thing was interesting.

soxfan26
01-26-2004, 07:51 PM
I thought the Frank thing was interesting.

What Frank thing?

jeremyb1
01-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

By all accounts we tried. Graff said he wanted to play elsewhere.

Northside fan
01-26-2004, 07:52 PM

He said he talked with him or his rep in Septemeber but Tony wanted to expore his options and test the market. He said in the end he could not meet what he wanted financially or something along those lines.

SEALgep
01-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Then why didn't he re-sign him? They tried, he wanted to explore FA to see if he could start somewhere. KC offered a little more, but probably more playing time, who knows?

Daver
01-26-2004, 07:54 PM

Tony and his agent told KW that they were going to explore the market for a situation that would allow Tony to be an everyday player.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
By all accounts we tried. Graff said he wanted to play elsewhere.

Great. Bill Veeck couldn't get free agent superstars like Dave Winfield to play for the Sox. Jerry Reinsdorf can't get utility infielders.

:veeck
"Is this the first-class organization he was talking about when he bought the team from me 23 years ago?"

:ohno
"Yep."

PaleHoseRon
01-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by soxfan26
What Frank thing?

Anyone? :?:

Jjav829
01-26-2004, 07:56 PM
Not a whole lot of new stuff that we haven't heard previously from KW. He feels people are forgetting about the current talent on the roster and focusing only on the players lost. He feels Willie and Rowand can be good players. Thinks Borchard isn't ready and still feels he will be an impact player, as well as Reed. Said Frank will definitely hear what he (KW) has to say when they get to Spring Training and is sure he'll hear what Frank has to say. Agreed with Doug Mientkiewicz's comments again.

He sort of took a shot at Manuel saying that he feels Ozzie will be a good disciplinarian that will make sure guys are doing what they are supposed to be doing as over the course of the season those things tend to slide.

The biggest news of the interview! KW is happy with the Raiders hiring Norv Turner! Whew. That's great to hear.

Nothing really big from this. Like I said a lot of the same stuff we've heard previously, and the few new things have already been posted in this thread.

PaleHoseRon
01-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the relay. Sounds like nothing more than sound bites. Now that we're all set on KW's feelings on Norv, I wonder what his thoughts are on Bill Muray winning a Golden Globe! Now that would be interesting.

ChiSox21
01-26-2004, 08:03 PM
The guys asked KW if he was gonna just meet frank in Tucson or have dinner w/ him in Vegas to straighten things out and KW said that he thought everything was fine and that he was going to just see him in Tucson instead of trying to work things out.

Iguana775
01-26-2004, 08:09 PM

*****...that has got to be the funniest thing i have read in a while. i doubt they make the playoffs.

batmanZoSo
01-26-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

Not if your aunt were Jamie Lee Curtis...then (s)he'd be your "auncle."

Jerry_Manuel
01-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
*****...that has got to be the funniest thing i have read in a while. i doubt they make the playoffs.

I'm sure the comments we're about last years Sox team. With Colon and crew.

RKMeibalane
01-26-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I'm sure the comments we're about last years Sox team. With Colon and crew.

Probably. I don't think this team has enough as it stands to win a playoff series. They still need to solidify the pitching staff.

soxfan26
01-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Probably. I don't think this team has enough as it stands to win a playoff series. They still need to solidify the pitching staff.

Playoff series? How about a regular season series?

RKMeibalane
01-26-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by soxfan26
Playoff series? How about a regular season series?

As long as Buehrle, Loaiza, and Garland are the scheduled starters for a particular series, they should be able to win those games. I don't know about the rest of the season. We'll just have to wait and see.

I think I've been saying "we'll just have to wait and see" a lot lately.

SoxxoS
01-26-2004, 08:34 PM
We couldn't beat the damn Twins in the regular season...yet once we got the playoffs then we would run the table. Don't think so. Our team was (and still is) a VERY mentally weak team.

RKMeibalane
01-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
We couldn't beat the damn Twins in the regular season...yet once we got the playoffs then we would run the table. Don't think so. Our team was (and still is) a VERY mentally weak team.

I agree. The Sox just didn't have that "killer instinct" needed to dominate in the post-season. Of course, part of the blame lies with Jerry Manuel. I remain convinced that things would have turned out differently had he not insisted on giving Jose Paniagua playing time against Minnesota. That disasterous ninth inning was what led to the Sox tailspin.

Randar68
01-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775

I'm pretty sure he was talking about last fall. And, I'm not sure how far off that was despite the Sox being able to still play themselves out of the playoffs.

lths06
01-26-2004, 08:43 PM
Can you please tell me where you got that pic SOXOS

Daver
01-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by lths06
Can you please tell me where you got that pic SOXOS

I would be willing to bet he got it here. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?action=getsmilies&s=)

SoxxoS
01-26-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Daver
I would be willing to bet he got it here. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?action=getsmilies&s=)

That's right, and don't be crampin my style! :smile:

DrCrawdad
01-26-2004, 09:27 PM

Kerrie Wood may will 15 games next year, for his most successful year as a Cubbie. Of course, Kerrie would have won 30+ games last year if it weren't for the bullpen.

Northside fan
01-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Kerrie Wood may will 15 games next year, for his most successful year as a Cubbie. Of course, Kerrie would have won 30+ games last year if it weren't for the bullpen.

Certainly you are not comparing Wood to Garland.

ChiSox21
01-26-2004, 09:38 PM
When i posted earlier i meant last years team. And the yanks last year had good reason to be afraid of us cuz we took 4 of 6

ChiSox21
01-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Certainly you are not comparing Wood to Garland.
With the word overrated in the dictionary there should be Kerry Wood's picture next to it.
Come on the guy practically said that he choked in your most important game of the year. Im not comparing him to the underachieving Garland but he is overrated.

Northside fan
01-26-2004, 09:47 PM
With the word overrated in the dictionary there should be Kerry Wood's picture next to it.
Come on the guy practically said that he choked in your most important game of the year. Im not comparing him to the underachieving Garland but he is overrated.

ESPN'S take on the "overrated" Kerry Wood.

2004 Outlook
Absent injury, the only thing that could stop Wood, it seems, would be the lingering effects of last year's playoff loss. Needless to say, that doesn't seem likely. When listing this year's National League Cy Young Award candidates, Wood's name has to be one of the first to come to mind.

I'm not bashing Garland. I just don't think he has the ability to ever be a big time winner.

Jjav829
01-26-2004, 09:49 PM

He may have choked in a big game, but overrated? Come on now. The guy is arguably a top 5 pitcher. You mean to tell me you wouldn't want him on the Sox?

lths06
01-26-2004, 09:57 PM
I want to try nd make 1 of the pics for the link u gave me (either samy and barney, scrubs, or the sox fan in the boxing rink) as my buddy icon for AIM. Anybody know how I can do this (it says that it is too big) Can I make it smaller or something?

ChiSox21
01-26-2004, 09:58 PM
For what people think of him hes overatted they make him seem like hes god yet he wins 12 games a year

SoxxoS
01-26-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
He may have choked in a big game, but overrated? Come on now. The guy is arguably a top 5 pitcher. You mean to tell me you wouldn't want him on the Sox?

Easy on the top 5. I would dispute that highly.

Are we taking age into account or just pitchers I would have right now?

Right now-

Prior
Johnson
Halladay
Pedro
Colon
Pettite
Mulder
Zito
Hudson
Mussina
Schmidt
K. Brown
Shilling
Vazquez
Morris
Moyer

Easy.

Daver
01-26-2004, 10:09 PM

Given his payroll number against his actual production,taking into account the fact that he has a history of arm trouble due to his poor mechanics,I wouldn't trade for him were I a GM.

Jjav829
01-26-2004, 10:25 PM

Right now-

Prior
Johnson
Halladay
Pedro
Colon
Pettite
Mulder
Zito
Hudson
Mussina
Schmidt
K. Brown
Shilling
Vazquez
Morris
Moyer

Easy.

I'll give you Prior and Halladay. Johnson 3 years ago? Sure. Not now though. I'll give you Pedro. Colon? No. He's had one real good year. Other than that, hes good but not Wood. Pettitte? Ha. Maybe in the playoffs, but not overall. Zito? Danger. Danger! The huge drop in strikeouts worries me. I'd rather have Wood. Hudson I'll give you. Mussina? Good pitcher, Wood's surpassed him though. Schmidt? *cough* career year *cough* Brown? You think Wood has injury concerns, just wait for the steroid pumped Brown. Schilling I'll give you. Vazquez? He's definitely moving up quickly, but he's still not at Wood's level. Morris? If Wood had that lineup behind him, he'd have 20 wins by now. Moyer? You can't argue with his results, but I'd rather have Wood. Not sure how long Moyer can keep this up.

Those definitely aren't easy. If you honestly believe that Wood is at the 17th best pitcher in MLB at best, you might need to take off the Cub hating glasses. Yes he has injuries concerns. His mechanics are brutal and Dusty isn't going to help that. But the guy is a top 10 pitcher. I'll give you 5 from that list are better than Wood. Hence my use of the word "arguably". But you almost knocking him out of the top 20. What's next? Sidney Ponson? Hideo Nomo? Please.

Jjav829
01-26-2004, 10:29 PM
Given his payroll number against his actual production,taking into account the fact that he has a history of arm trouble due to his poor mechanics,I wouldn't trade for him were I a GM.

Wouldn't trade for him for what? Would you trade Aaron Rowand for him? Willie Harris? At $6.19 million last year, I'd take him injury risk or not and not think twice. That's just my opinion though.

Then again, what the hell do I know. :smile:

Daver
01-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Wouldn't trade for him for what? Would you trade Aaron Rowand for him? Willie Harris? At $6.19 million last year, I'd take him injury risk or not and not think twice. That's just my opinion though.

Then again, what the hell do I know. :smile:

He will not be making 6.1 mil this season though,and you are not going to get him for low talent,it will take front end prospects as well as paying the contract,hence why I would not make a deal for him.

But I know nothing about baseball.

PS I have already contacted my lawyers.

:redneck

Jjav829
01-26-2004, 10:41 PM
He will not be making 6.1 mil this season though,and you are not going to get him for low talent,it will take front end prospects as well as paying the contract,hence why I would not make a deal for him.

But I know nothing about baseball.

PS I have already contacted my lawyers.

I know. He makes $9.15 million this year. But for last years production, at $6.19 million I'd take that in a second. He makes more this year, so he'll have to do more. I'm not sure he can get much better, but maybe he'll win a few more games. The problem with saying I would or would not take him is in what context we are talking about. When I asked Chisox21 if he would want Wood, I meant from a strictly baseball perspective. Now if we start taking payroll considerations in and what we'd give up, that changes it completely. There are a lot of good players I'd say no to for the Sox if that was the case including the best player in the game, Arod. Between his huge contract and what it would take to get him, he wouldn't be worth it. Same goes for nearly any high priced player for the Sox.

Now removing the economics of it, would I take Wood on my team (if I didn't have to worry about his salary or what it would take to get him)? Absolutely.

Have your lawyers call my lawyers. :smile:

Daver
01-26-2004, 10:57 PM

Have your lawyers call my lawyers. :smile:

You'll be hearing from the distinguished law firm of Dewey,Cheetam,and Howe soon I am sure.

Blueprint1
01-26-2004, 11:45 PM
Wood tends to lose control of his pitches in the later innings of games. He can be a very wild pitcher. Wood depends alot on strikeouts I think he could become a better pitcher if he let more balls in play. Garland does have the stuff to be a great pitcher. Keep in mind that Garland will be 24 years old this season that is a few years younger than wood. No Garland will never strikeout players like Wood does but he could win just as many games.

TaylorStSox
01-26-2004, 11:54 PM
Wood has great stuff. He has the POTENTIAL to be a Cy Young candidate. However, he has the pitching instincts of a little leaguer. He'll never be great.

Man Soo Lee
01-27-2004, 03:54 AM
Aside from the expected defense of Harris, Rowand, and his boy Schoeneweis, Kenny said two things in the interview that pissed me off:

First, that Billy Koch had more saves in his first three years than any other pitcher and 2003 was the first bad year of his career.

--Assuming for the sake of argument that saves are a meaningful statistic, how many other guys were closers as rookies? Does the fact that the '99 Blue Jays didn't have another bullpen option mean Koch is a better reliever than guys that came up as setup men?

--2003 was not his first bad year. He stunk in 2001 with a 4.80 ERA and a 1.47 WHIP. In his "good" years, he hasn't done anything particularly well besides piling up saves. Low ERA? Not for a closer. Low WHIP? No. High K rate? Not really. But he throws hard.

Second, Kenny said that he wanted Graffanino back and tried to resign him in September. Tony turned him down to look for a full-time job. Fine.

When he couldn't find a starting job, he signed with KC for a little more money than we were willing to pay according to KW. So nevermind that Tony would be the best of our bad options to start at 2B, that he would leadoff against LHP (~40 games?), that neither of our middle infielders can hit lefties, and that our backup 3B is our starting SS, Kenny was going to solve his budget problems by saving $200,000 on Graffanino.

kempsted
01-27-2004, 09:53 AM

Right now-

Prior
Johnson
Halladay
Pedro
Colon
Pettite
Mulder
Zito
Hudson
Mussina
Schmidt
K. Brown
Shilling
Vazquez
Morris
Moyer

Easy.

Here is the top 16 in terms of Support Neutral Wins - found on Baseball Prospectus site - a very good measure of actual pitchers performance

Martinez, P
Hudson, T
Loaiza, E
Schmidt, J
Webb, B
Halladay, R
Vazquez, J
Prior, M
Hernandz, L
Schilling, C
Mulder, M
Zito, B
Brown, K
Mussina, M
Moyer, J
Wood, K

As you see Wood is number 16 based on last year.