PDA

View Full Version : ballpark renovations

batmanZoSo
01-26-2004, 07:56 PM
That is really sharp what they're doing and I'm glad it's black like the rest of the parks metal work. It looks like there's gonna be posts in the upper deck after all, but fortunately they were smart enough to put them way up there so only a few rows will be affected. Still, they could've gotten by without them. But overall, it looks excellent. Now the whole right field porch thing starts to make sense from an aesthetic standpoint.

Okay, we got a nice park...how bout a good team?

Shingo in '04

kevingrt
01-26-2004, 08:21 PM
What does a nice park mean when you have a crappy team absolutely nothing except if your're that one team. And still they have a crappy park.

And by the way are park wasn't crappy at all. Now perhaps some of the alleged "fans" around the ballpark make it seem a bit crappy but really the park is in beautiful condition.

I would take a good team and a crappy minor league ball park anyday.

(Sorry but I had a case of Jerry Angelo in me :(: )

soxnut
01-27-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by kevingrt
What does a nice park mean when you have a crappy team absolutely nothing except if your're that one team. And still they have a crappy park.

And by the way are park wasn't crappy at all. Now perhaps some of the alleged "fans" around the ballpark make it seem a bit crappy but really the park is in beautiful condition.

I would take a good team and a crappy minor league ball park anyday.

(Sorry but I had a case of Jerry Angelo in me :(: )

Well, what it could mean is that it won't get dogged anymore.... hopefully. That means those who are interested in traveling to different ballparks will come, word spreads that it's a nice ballpark, and a little more tourists($$$) come out. Therefore maybe a little bit more money to spend on the team. (BTW, I don't think the team is that crappy to begin with)

CubKilla
01-27-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
Well, what it could mean is that it won't get dogged anymore.... hopefully. That means those who are interested in traveling to different ballparks will come, word spreads that it's a nice ballpark, and a little more tourists($$$) come out. Therefore maybe a little bit more money to spend on the team. (BTW, I don't think the team is that crappy to begin with)

:moron

"I'll do my best to pan the BallMall when the renovations are done. It'll never be as historical or as beautiful as my GraceLand on Addison and Clark."

:reinsy

"I like your 'tourist money' aspect. More money for my pock..... err..... more PLAYERS! Yeah!"

Hangar18
01-27-2004, 10:56 AM
NOW.....I love the Wide Concourses and the Ability to walk all around the park. BUT the Concourses from the LF foul pole to the RF foul pole are very poorly designed. It greatly helps having the brickwork there, but overall, walking on the concourse, I feel like Im in the Grant Park Parking Garage.
Since there is NOTHING else they can do to open up the ceiling
(like they have in Cleveland) to give more of an OPEN feeling while your down there, THEY SHOULD MAKE BETTER USE OF THE OUTFIELD CONCOURSE. Widen the concourse so it Extends Back towards the Parking Lot and put all of the Bathrooms & Park Necesitties back there, while putting a couple of Year Round Access Bars/Restaurants, Facing the Concourse/Field! Rip the Character-less Kennedy Expy sized Billboards down, and stylize them to look like to Old Fashioned Billboards one would see on Roofs of Factories/smokestacks from the 1920s-1950's. It would Give a Nod To
A. CHicagos Industrial Past
B. Chicagos South-Side Industrial past
C. would look plain nicer than precast Concrete.

Imagine the Japanes in Kyoto and Tokyo, watching Shingo striking out the side for a White Sox Save, showing all the fans in our unique little "factory/bar" setting out in LF, hi-5ing each
other, making them say, wow, that looks like fun yet very unique

poorme
01-27-2004, 11:09 AM
That is a good idea.

soxnut
01-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
NOW.....I love the Wide Concourses and the Ability to walk all around the park. BUT the Concourses from the LF foul pole to the RF foul pole are very poorly designed. It greatly helps having the brickwork there, but overall, walking on the concourse, I feel like Im in the Grant Park Parking Garage.
(like they have in Cleveland) to give more of an OPEN feeling while your down there, THEY SHOULD MAKE BETTER USE OF THE OUTFIELD CONCOURSE. Widen the concourse so it Extends Back towards the Parking Lot and put all of the Bathrooms & Park Necesitties back there, while putting a couple of Year Round Access Bars/Restaurants, Facing the Concourse/Field! Rip the Character-less Kennedy Expy sized Billboards down, and stylize them to look like to Old Fashioned Billboards one would see on Roofs of Factories/smokestacks from the 1920s-1950's. It would Give a Nod To

Imagine the Japanes in Kyoto and Tokyo, watching Shingo striking out the side for a White Sox Save, showing all the fans in our unique little "factory/bar" setting out in LF, hi-5ing each

Those sound like good ideas. I did write to them about those billboards, and if they had to keep them, make them in the style you're talking about.

The building that is in the rendering you saved that used to be on the HKS site I think is a good idea though. And that new UD seating in RF is a good idea too. If those two things happen, the consourse will be very different. That building should house a bar/restaurant open all year round, as well as other amenities. Also, by adding those things, it will eliminate most of the billboards in their current state.

batmanZoSo
01-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Why should we upgrade our billboards? If anything, get rid of them all together. Put upper level seats on both sides and the only boards that remain standing are the main cf scoreboard and the two information boards that have the lineups and out of town scores.