PDA

View Full Version : who will the Yankees get now?

Jerko
01-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Aaron Boone out for year? I bet the Yanks get a new 3B before we get a 4th starter!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/01/26/boone.acl/index.html[/URL]

PINWHEELS
01-26-2004, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jerko
[B]Aaron Boone out for year? I bet the Yanks get a new 3B before we get a 4th starter! They will a-rod and move jeter to 3b, and red sox fans will commit harry carrey!

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-26-2004, 04:49 PM
:whiner:
I drafted him in the WSI keeper league and now there's scraps left for 3b!

gogosoxgogo
01-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Worst thing is that his contract forbid him to play basketball. Now he's not going to get any of that $6 million he agreed on with the Yankees this off-season. Obviously the Yankees will not be content with Enrique Wilson or Drew Henson at third, so I am curious to see who they go after.

SEALgep
01-26-2004, 06:04 PM
I wish we had some depth at third to trade with them. Not Crede, that's not even an option.

SEALgep
01-26-2004, 07:13 PM
There is no backing to this, just something that could possibly happen. A yankee fan wrote in another forum that Valentin would be a perfect fit. I'd be interested in seeing who we could get. Uribe can play short with good defense, and really wouldn't be much different offensively. However, at least Valentin is a left handed bat. We don't have any other except off the bench and Harris. We'll see, probably won't happen.

jabrch
01-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
There is no backing to this, just something that could possibly happen. A yankee fan wrote in another forum that Valentin would be a perfect fit. I'd be interested in seeing who we could get. Uribe can play short with good defense, and really wouldn't be much different offensively. However, at least Valentin is a left handed bat. We don't have any other except off the bench and Harris. We'll see, probably won't happen.

I'd be all for trading Valentin and his contract for something of value. The problem is that the Yanks don't have much left in the farm system that we would want and their major league roster is not as stacked as it has been in prior years.

SEALgep
01-26-2004, 07:30 PM
That's very true, that's why I would interested. Like I said it probably won't happen. Jose Hernandez has said to be an option as well. Although business is business, I doubt George would want to deal with the Astros if at all possible. Although, the Astros may not want to part with him either.

quade36
01-26-2004, 07:38 PM
If Valentin is traded to the Yanks it is because they are trying to dump some salary. KW already said the Sox are over budget. They won't get anyone worthwhile for him if he is traded. At least no one that would be worthwhile within the next 2 or 3 years

idseer
01-26-2004, 08:10 PM

lmao !

that is the funniest thing i've read here in a long time.
yeah ... i can see the yankees are hot after ... VALENTIN!

of course the fact he couldn't even play third for us wouldn't mean a thing to them, right?

i've seen some dumb rumors here lately ... but this one is the mother of dumb rumors!

:)

SEALgep
01-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by idseer
lmao !

that is the funniest thing i've read here in a long time.
yeah ... i can see the yankees are hot after ... VALENTIN!

of course the fact he couldn't even play third for us wouldn't mean a thing to them, right?

i've seen some dumb rumors here lately ... but this one is the mother of dumb rumors!

:) Valentin is capable of playing third. And what's so dumb about it. I don't think it will happen, but they have to do something. What do you think they'll do? They don't have much to trade with and everybody else is settled with what they have.

It's a temporary situation, Valentin only has one year left, and adds a veteran. It doesn't have to be a perfect fit for them, just one that doesn't cause a liability for them. Valentin could serve that purpose. He also has a little pop in his bat.

SoxxoS
01-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Their isn't anyone on their roster that would help us if we gave them Valentin. Now...if we packaged Maggs in the deal, then we are looking at something.

Maybe they are ready to go with Drew Henson?

AOEllis
01-26-2004, 09:24 PM
Boston fans all exclaim, "He had it comin'!"

SEALgep
01-26-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Their isn't anyone on their roster that would help us if we gave them Valentin. Now...if we packaged Maggs in the deal, then we are looking at something.

Maybe they are ready to go with Drew Henson?
They got Sheff.

SEALgep
01-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by AOEllis
Boston fans all exclaim, "He had it comin'!"
It's one thing to hope people have terrible years, it's a whole other thing if you wish bodily harm. That's not cool, especially because they think he deserved it because they couldn't get the job done. That's bs.

Brian26
01-26-2004, 09:53 PM

Valentin played a decent third for us. The problem was that Royce Clayton's offensive blackhole at shortstop was a much worse situation than moving Jose back to short and bringing Crede up to play third. Crede's production over Clayton's production isn't even a funny argument.

Brian26
01-26-2004, 09:55 PM
They got Sheff.

That's actually the first thought that popped into my head. It certainly wouldn't hurt Sheff's knees any to move back to third. That is until the Yanks trade for Pujols.

idseer
01-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Valentin played a decent third for us. The problem was that Royce Clayton's offensive blackhole at shortstop was a much worse situation than moving Jose back to short and bringing Crede up to play third. Crede's production over Clayton's production isn't even a funny argument.

you either have a selective memory or you'er just guessing. the black hole was at third base whenever jose played there!
his lifetime fielding at 3rd at .941 when compared to all 3rd basemen last year was 2nd to last. LIFETIME!
his zone rating of .749 was third to last. LIFETIME!
think about that for a minute.
in 2001, the year you refer to, his fielding was .926, and zr was .726.

valentin NEVER played decent 3rd base ... or outfield ... or any other position he's ever been tried at.

throw in the fact he can't hit lefties!
the yankees would be the biggest fools in the world to consider the fielding horror that jose valentin is!

KingXerxes
01-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Worst thing is that his contract forbid him to play basketball. Now he's not going to get any of that $6 million he agreed on with the Yankees this off-season.

I'm assuming that the above is true, and if it is it shows how incredibly stupid some of these guys are.

munchman33
01-27-2004, 04:49 PM
I think people are missing the point. Of course Valentin is not a good option for any team at third base. But the Yankees are desperate, as there isn't anyone better on the market. They may even overpay for him.

Kid T
01-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
I think people are missing the point. Of course Valentin is not a good option for any team at third base. But the Yankees are desperate, as there isn't anyone better on the market. They may even overpay for him.

What would they overpay with? They only have one prospect to speak of, C Dioneer Navarro. All of their players on the major league roster have high salaries. Now if the WS were willing to just trade them Konerko for some payroll flexibility...

Foulke You
01-27-2004, 05:35 PM
Defensively he might be a liability but offensively Valentin would probably hit 35-40HRs playing half his games at Yankee Stadium with that short 300 ft porch in RF. The Yankees might consider it to get more offensive pop in the lineup.

Personally, I think we need Valentin's offense and veteran presence next year. I'm not sold on Uribe being anything but another Royce Clayton until he shows me otherwise and I'm not ready to hand the starting role to Uribe.

idseer
01-27-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Defensively he might be a liability but offensively Valentin would probably hit 35-40HRs playing half his games at Yankee Stadium with that short 300 ft porch in RF. The Yankees might consider it to get more offensive pop in the lineup.

Personally, I think we need Valentin's offense and veteran presence next year. I'm not sold on Uribe being anything but another Royce Clayton until he shows me otherwise and I'm not ready to hand the starting role to Uribe.

omg! this almost equals the laugher i got from seals post.
valentin hitting 40 homeruns next year as a yankee.

stop it guys ... you're killing me! :D: :D: :D:

SEALgep
01-27-2004, 05:48 PM
omg! this almost equals the laugher i got from seals post.
valentin hitting 40 homeruns next year as a yankee.

stop it guys ... you're killing me! :D: :D: :D:

Who are they going to get? You think its the Yankees so they can go and get a Chavez or a Blalock. Their options are slim. I said Valentin wasn't likely to go there, but it's going to be a player of his stature. You have to read the whole thing before you comment.

idseer
01-27-2004, 05:56 PM
You're the idiot, who are they going to get. You think its the Yankees so they can go and get a Chavez or a Blalock. Their options are slim. I said Valentin wasn't likely to go there, but it's going to be a player of his stature. You have to read the whole thing before you comment.

i don't recall calling you an idiot.

in any event, i totally disagree! the yankees will have zero interest in jose. the yankees have a lot of resources. they are hardly without options even tho i cannot tell you what those options are.

if the yankees are without a thirdbaseman for the year then they will acquire one who will help them ... not a broken down overpaid hasbeen who hardly ever was! the yankees don't do business like that.
you are just dreaming that we'll somehow magically unload a $5 million mistake that they should never have made.
go dream another dream.

TheRockinMT
01-27-2004, 06:01 PM
I wish we could get off this rant about trading Jose Valentin. The guy can hit 25-30 HR's and drive in 75-90 RBI's, is a left handed bat and hustles every game. We don't have a SS that can step into his shoes adn we are short on power from the left side of the plate. Jose is not the problem with this team. Let the Yankees buy someone else since that's what they do best.

Daver
01-27-2004, 06:04 PM
i don't recall calling you an idiot.

Seal seems to think that anyone that does not agree with him is an idiot.Eventually he will find out that it does not work like that around here.

SEALgep
01-27-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Seal seems to think that anyone that does not agree with him is an idiot.Eventually he will find out that it does not work like that around here.
I apologize for being rash, but when you say my opinion makes you laugh uncontrollably, I take that personally. I respect opinions, but I want people to respect mine as well. What I said was taken out of context when I discussed the possible interest of valentin. Anyway, I apoligize regardless.

Daver
01-27-2004, 06:38 PM
I apologize for being rash, but when you say my opinion makes you laugh uncontrollably, I take that personal. I respect opinions, but I want people to respect mine as well. Besides, what I said was taken out of context when I discussed the possible interest of valentin.

You'll get a lot more respect around here by supporting your opinion with legimate debate as opposed to name-calling.

To resort to calling someone names will basically be looked at by a good number of members here as an admission that you can't back your opinion with an actual argument,respect is a two way street,you have to give it in order to get it.

SEALgep
01-27-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Daver
You'll get a lot more respect around here by supporting your opinion with legimate debate as opposed to name-calling.

To resort to calling someone names will basically be looked at by a good number of members here as an admission that you can't back your opinion with an actual argument,respect is a two way street,you have to give it in order to get it.

I understand that, that's why I apologized.

idseer
01-27-2004, 06:48 PM
I apologize for being rash, but when you say my opinion makes you laugh uncontrollably, I take that personally. I respect opinions, but I want people to respect mine as well. What I said was taken out of context when I discussed the possible interest of valentin. Anyway, I apoligize regardless.

no problem seal. but it wasn't really you i was laughing at. just the idea that the new york yankees might want a guy who most of us (probably) didn't want ... and out of position at that! then again, i suppose stranger things have happened.
i keep forgetting how many people here think so highly of jose while i don't. he had a couple relatively good seasons for us at the plate ... but ... well, i really shouldn't open that can of worms again. :)

SEALgep
01-27-2004, 06:52 PM
no problem seal. but it wasn't really you i was laughing at. just the idea that the new york yankees might want a guy who most of us (probably) didn't want ... and out of position at that! then again, i suppose stranger things have happened.
i keep forgetting how many people here think so highly of jose while i don't. he had a couple relatively good seasons for us at the plate ... but ... well, i really shouldn't open that can of worms again. :)
I just had a bad day, and was a little quick to the trigger. Thanks for being cool about it. I don't think it will happen, and at this point I don't even care. I was just pointing out someone elses garbage anyway, just tought it was interesting since it was a Yankee fan who said it. I'm more concerned of whether Maggs will be with us.

Paulwny
01-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Newsday reporting that the yanks signed Tyler Houston to a minor league contract.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyanks283645795jan28,0,4671596.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

PaleHoseRon
01-28-2004, 11:46 AM
The report also talks about a possible trade with the Dodgers to bring back Robin V. since they have a plethora of 3rd basemen either on the roster or signed to minor league contracts. When is the vote on the sale of the team? I thought it was some time today.

SEALgep
01-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseRon
The report also talks about a possible trade with the Dodgers to bring back Robin V. since they have a plethora of 3rd basemen either on the roster or signed to minor league contracts. When is the vote on the sale of the team? I thought it was some time today.
Thursday is the vote. I read in an article that Ventura can be traded until June because he signed as a FA. Didn't make sense to me, is that rule?

PaleHoseRon
01-28-2004, 11:58 AM
Thursday is the vote. I read in an article that Ventura can be traded until June because he signed as a FA. Didn't make sense to me, is that rule?

I forgot that Ventura played for the Yankees last year. He won't be able to re-sign with them until after May. This is the same problem that the Sox would have if they wanted to resign Carl Everett.