PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Busts?

RichFitztightly
01-26-2004, 03:39 PM
I know the Sox are among the best teams in getting a huge talent just to watch him struggle mightily. I was just curious... does it ever happen where a team signs or trades for a big-name guy from the Sox and that guy doesn't produce? Or is this thing only a Sox phenomena?

SEALgep
01-26-2004, 03:42 PM
I think every team has a scenerio like that. If you aren't winning championships, your short comings become more evident. A talent doesn't produce, a talent traded away produces, ect... All teams have that, but if you win, it doesn't get the attention. I'm just saying the Sox aren't the only team that happens to, but it sucks when it does.

RichFitztightly
01-26-2004, 03:50 PM
I think more to my point is that the Sox don't sell high...ever. They don't let free agents go at the peak of their career either. Albert Belle was among the best players in the league when the Sox signed him. He didn't produce till his monster second half of his second year. Sox signed Bartolo Colon, and some have argued (not me) that he didn't perform up to expectations. There's David Wells. The Sox are more famous for giving up a guy who flourishes rather than getting rid of a star who flounders. Bartolo Colon might be the first free agent that the Sox lose that could concievably be a bust for the money he got.

soxfan26
01-26-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
I think more to my point is that the Sox don't sell high...ever. They don't let free agents go at the peak of their career either. Albert Belle was among the best players in the league when the Sox signed him. He didn't produce till his monster second half of his second year. Sox signed Bartolo Colon, and some have argued (not me) that he didn't perform up to expectations. There's David Wells. The Sox are more famous for giving up a guy who flourishes rather than getting rid of a star who flounders. Bartolo Colon might be the first free agent that the Sox lose that could concievably be a bust for the money he got.

Without doing a tremendous amount of research I know that the Mets and Orioles have had some serious free agent woes over the past few years. Guys like Cliff Floyd, Scott Erickson, Albert Belle, Tom Glavine, etc. were free agents brought in that flopped. It happens to every team. I for one think the Angels are going to regret giving Vlad that contract.

quade36
01-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Actually I beg to differ. The Sox had a slueth of right fielders in the 90s that won most improved player awards when brought in. Ellis Burks, DJ, Mike Devearux, Danny Tartabull. Then they also brought in Julio Franco, and Kruk even produced until he retired. And lets not forget Tim Raines and Bo Jackson. Though Steve Sax would fall into your category.

Belle holds a few Sox single season Records too. Total Bases, most homers.

Even Canseco did a good job for them when everyone thought his career was over.

So I think the Sox have had more people rejuvinate their careers then fall apart with the Sox.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-26-2004, 04:28 PM
The sox surely rejuvinated Flash Gordon's career last year. Went from a washed up pitcher to getting a big pay day in new york.

quade36
01-26-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
The sox surely rejuvinated Flash Gordon's career last year. Went from a washed up pitcher to getting a big pay day in new york.

Now common, the big pay-day thing in New York isn't saying much

MRKARNO
01-26-2004, 05:50 PM
I think that contrary to popular opinion, the sox have less busts than most teams. We aren't laden with 10 million dollar 2 years left backup outfielders like a Cedeno.

I mean Ritchie was pretty bad. Wells was still better than Sirotka. Colon was no bust.

tlebar318
01-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I think that contrary to popular opinion, the sox have less busts than most teams. We aren't laden with 10 million dollar 2 years left backup outfielders like a Cedeno.

I mean Ritchie was pretty bad. Wells was still better than Sirotka. Colon was no bust.

I am getting old and I remember money wasted on Ron LeFlore, Ron Blomberg, Steve Carlton when he was through, Tom Seaver, same deal, and even Sparky Lyle! We are always shopping in the discount bin where everything is half off! With a few exceptions, we are always looking to do things on the cheap--I am a firm believer in you only get what you pay for...Sorry for being negative-Beer me! Miller Time! :gulp:

p.s.--I should mention that even when we pay it turns out not so good---Carlton Fisk Good! Albert Belle Bad!

RichFitztightly
01-26-2004, 08:54 PM
Has anybody left the Sox for big money then sucked?

Daver
01-26-2004, 08:55 PM

Wilson Alvarez,Alex Fernandez,and Albert Belle leap to mind.

RKMeibalane
01-26-2004, 08:56 PM

No, but I have feeling that Bartolo Colon is about to become the first man to do so.

RKMeibalane
01-26-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Daver

I'm trying to block those guys out of my mind.

RichFitztightly
01-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Daver

Ah yes, just the info I was looking for. Hmmmm, all in all, the Sox seem to lose players before they take off as opposed to losing them before they crash and burn. There's a hidden meaning there, and I don't really know what it is. At least there's no Brock for Brogglio there.

Brian26
01-26-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by tlebar318
I am getting old and I remember money wasted on Ron LeFlore, Ron Blomberg, Steve Carlton when he was through, Tom Seaver, same deal, and even Sparky Lyle!

I disagree with you on a couple of these moves. Seaver was acquired as a compensation pick for losing Dennis Lamp to free agency after the '83 season. This was an excellent pickup, and he was our best starter for 2 seasons after that. Sparky Lyle and Jim Kern were both decent gambles at the end of the '82 season. Neither guy worked out, but they were smart gambles. Steve Carlton came cheap by the time the Sox signed him.

TommyJohn
01-26-2004, 10:38 PM

Oscar Gamble dropped from 31 HR's in 1977 to 9 in 1978 and
the Padres dumped him soon after. He and Zisk never really
topped or came close to what they did in 1977.

CubKilla
01-27-2004, 01:22 AM
Billy Botch is the most recent bust in my mind.

The centerpieces of the trade..... Botch and Foulke..... went separate ways after the trade. Foulke became an AL All-Star with 40+ saves at the end of the season. Botch talked a big game ("I'll only probably have 5 or 6 bad outings all year", and "The Twins ain't that good"..... to name a few) but the only thing bigger than his talk was the distance on the HR meatballs he served up. Only Cotts can salvage this trade for the Sox..... and I'm not counting on that.

Great move KW!!!!!

gosox41
01-27-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

And what about Billy-Boy?

Bob

white sox bill
01-27-2004, 10:05 AM
How 'bout that wife-beating,steroid using, cork-filling RF that plays for the "other" team in Chicago?

DSpivack
01-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by white sox bill
How 'bout that wife-beating,steroid using, cork-filling RF that plays for the "other" team in Chicago?

There's another baseball team in Chicago?

Lip Man 1
01-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Well off the top of my head I remember Dave Nicholson, Kevin Bell, Jack Kucek and of course, Sports Illustrated cover boy Harry Chappas.

Lip

OneDog
01-27-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
There's another baseball team in Chicago?

To borrow a line from Major League:

Yeah, They have uniforms and everything. It's really great.