PDA

View Full Version : Wild Card Guys

SEALgep
01-26-2004, 03:35 PM
A couple guys that may prove to be valuable in the rotation. We all know Diaz, but who is this other guy. Either way this is their winter ball stats.

Felix Diaz, 22 RHP, Starter Tigres
Stats: 1-0, 3.48 ERA, 31.0 INN, 27 H, 18 K, 6 BB
Diaz followed a strong season in Charlotte with a very impressive stint in the Dominican league. In fact, the Sox are starting to get very excited about Diaz and he will be given every opportunity to earn the 5th spot in the rotation or a back end bullpen position. Diaz always has had plus stuff, but has never utilized it properly and has battled minor injuries.

Francisco Campos, 31 - RHP, Starter/Reliever - Mazatlan
Stats: 10-2, 2.19 ERA, 90.1 INN, 79 H, 68 K, 29 BB
Campos dominance of the Mexican league got him a contract with the Chicago White Sox. Campos will likely be invited to spring training, but seems destined for Charlotte. If Campos can pitch like he did down in Mexico, he could quickly reach the Sox starting rotation, which appears to have plenty of question marks.

There are a couple other guys that may serve well out of the pen, but these two are having the best winter ball as far as starting.

gogosoxgogo
01-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Diaz's stats don't thrill me (why only 31 innings, did they pitch him in relief), but that other guy looks pretty good. I've never heard of him, though. I wonder what he did in the Mexican league because those winter stats look exciting. Maybe he could end up being a Joe Borowski kind of find for us... I doubt it, though.

SEALgep
01-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Diaz's stats don't thrill me (why only 31 innings, did they pitch him in relief), but that other guy looks pretty good. I've never heard of him, though. I wonder what he did in the Mexican league because those winter stats look exciting. Maybe he could end up being a Joe Borowski kind of find for us... I doubt it, though.

I don't know for sure, but Diaz may have had limited action to be rested for the season. I don't know, the other guy is still trying to get a spot, and is believed to spend some time in AAA. Diaz also performed well in the minors before winter ball. With winter ball doing little to alter that perception, he's probably in the lead. However, the number of innings is a concern overall for Diaz (not just winterball) so we'll see how it works. Maybe it will ensure him a pen spot.