PDA

View Full Version : Thomas does it again!

BeerHandle
01-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Great article about Frank Thomas preparing for the season. This guy dedicates himself every offseason to be in great shape for a very long season. He will, yet again, silence his critics. Who cares if he remains quiet during the offseason?!?! Have we heard much from many of the Sox players, no! Let Thomas get ready to dominate again!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040126&content_id=630834&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

DrCrawdad
01-26-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Great article about Frank Thomas preparing for the season. This guy dedicates himself every offseason to be in great shape for a very long season. He will, yet again, silence his critics. Who cares if he remains quiet during the offseason?!?! Have we heard much from many of the Sox players, no! Let Thomas get ready to dominate again!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040126&content_id=630834&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Frankly, I don't care if Thomas talks to reporters or coaches in the off-season as long as he's ripped and ready to go when the season begins.

BeerHandle
01-26-2004, 04:32 PM
I'm with you! However, did you see the jokers on CLTV ripping Thomas? They are saying the Sox are trying to move him to LA. Rumor mill has it that Thomas has bought a place in LA to go along with his place in Chicago and Vegas.

Randar68
01-26-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Frankly, I don't care if Thomas talks to reporters or coaches in the off-season as long as he's ripped and ready to go when the season begins.

Which is all anybody but the whiney media should be worried about. But, when he refuses to talk and give them sound-bite after sound-bite, is it any wonder they complain? They don't have anything to write about.

Randar68
01-26-2004, 04:33 PM
I'm with you! However, did you see the jokers on CLTV ripping Thomas? They are saying the Sox are trying to move him to LA. Rumor mill has it that Thomas has bought a place in LA to go along with his place in Chicago and Vegas.

Yeah, I have some doubts about that considering his lower salary, divorce settlement and still paying for the Chicago Mansion he can't sell.

Why would he be buying another house?

voodoochile
01-26-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Yeah, I have some doubts about that considering his lower salary, divorce settlement and still paying for the Chicago Mansion he can't sell.

Maybe he bought a condo or a townhouse. If you are going to spend most of your off season in LV and are planning on retiring out that way eventually, it just makes sense.

Randar68
01-26-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Maybe he bought a condo or a townhouse. If you are going to spend most of your off season in LV and are planning on retiring out that way eventually, it just makes sense.

I understand the Las Vegas part, but at this point, one in LA?

Color me skeptical, that's all I'm saying. It may certainly be possible.

ondafarm
01-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

Crawdad, write today's date down. I agree with you 100%

DrCrawdad
01-26-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm
Crawdad, write today's date down. I agree with you 100%

Done!

Foulke You
01-26-2004, 04:51 PM
"While the White Sox were in the stretch drive of the 2003 season, battling Minnesota and Kansas City for the Central Division title, there were some late home games where Thomas would speak to the media four different times -- one session with some early-going television crews, one before batting practice, one after batting practice for anything or anyone that slipped through the cracks and then usually one after the game. Thomas rarely turned down a request, not to mention meeting with dignitaries who might be singing the National Anthem or throwing out the first pitch on that particular day.

In this day and age of Internet content, radio freelancers who specifically get paid to get a sound bite from the teamís top player and the usual local television stations and daily newspapers, such is the plague upon the teamís top player. Thatís still Thomasí position on the White Sox."

Frank treats the media with respect during the season and gets none in return. Most of them want to run him out of town. I honestly believe the local media wouldn't be able to contain their giddyness if Thomas was traded.

Meanwhile, they look away to anything negative Sammy does. Notice how the cork incident never gets mentioned anymore? How about following up on the suspicious comments Sosa made about working out in December "for the first time"?

Chicago media folks like Mariotti and Carol Slezak are poised and ready for Thomas to have a "blowup" at Spring Training. THE MAN HASN'T EVEN SAID A WORD this offseason yet and people like Slezak are already critical of him.

The double standard that is between Sosa and Thomas from the local media never ceases to amaze.

THE_HOOTER
01-26-2004, 04:56 PM
I would say it's a negative thing to not call your coach back during the offseason.

I don't care how he feels, he is a player and the coach is the coach.

He is showing disrespect by not calling him back, and it does not bode well for the team as a whole.

What are the odds of Thomas coming to Spring Training and not spouting off?

I sure hope he doesnt.

habibharu
01-26-2004, 04:57 PM

yeah, there was something about it in a downey article a couple days ago: hurt for perez and cora

BeerHandle
01-26-2004, 04:59 PM

He sold his mansion in Oak Brook. I don't know if mansion accurately describes the greatness of the house!

Thomas has a place in the Gold Coast or Lincoln Park (I can't recall). I really don't care about where he has places or how many.

All I know is that he is going to dominate yet again!

soxfan26
01-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER

He is showing disrespect by not calling him back, and it does not bode well for the team as a whole.

Thomas is showing Ozzie the same "respect" that he showed him in his intial press conference.

Heís in serious training to let his bat do most of the talking once again in 2004

This is all that matters.

BeerHandle
01-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
I would say it's a negative thing to not call your coach back during the offseason.

I don't care how he feels, he is a player and the coach is the coach.

What are the odds of Thomas coming to Spring Training and not spouting off?

I sure hope he doesnt.

From the article: Third-base coach Joey Cora, a former teammate of Thomas, much like Guillen, spoke to Thomas shortly after his hiring. He reported absolutely no disdain coming from the big man, even a high level of excitement for the new season. His words were the only proof for White Sox fans.

He has obviously spoken with Cora and Guillen at least once. How much does he need to talk to them in the off season. He is in shape, ready to play and any issues will be resolved at Spring Training. I don't believe there are any issues except the fact that the Media is trying to stir the pot.

"Marriotti spouts his mouth off as much as Thomas works out for the season" By this reference it is easy to ascertain that Thomas is in shape and prepared!

CWSGuy406
01-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Guillen should have kept his mouth shut, and shouldn't have called out Frank at the initial press conference. Maybe then Frank would call him back...

Frank, like said in the article, still works hard in the offseason and he'll be ready to produce for another year. It's terrible to think guys want to push him out, who would hit three for us?

I thought one of Frank's best at bats of the year was against Pedro. He must have had Pedro throw 15 pitches just during that at bat, and finally he was called out on a questionable inside slider. I thought that was an awesome at bat, and it sticks out in my mind. Frank is a feared hitter.

StepsInSC
01-26-2004, 05:27 PM
No news is good news. Keep it up Frank.

steff
01-26-2004, 05:30 PM

IIRC, the house in Burr Ridge sold in May.

BeerHandle
01-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by steff
IIRC, the house in Burr Ridge sold in May.

The house is in Oak Brook. Just one block south of 31st and Midwest Road (same as Cass). I only know because my parents live around the corner from the house. His house backs up to Midwest Club (private subdivision). My mom (through a friend) was able to check out the house when it was listed and no one was living there. She said it was amazing!

FRANK WILL DOMINATE!

npdempse
01-26-2004, 06:08 PM
WRT real estate stuff--
A lot of players buy condos to rent out; sometimes they end up living there eventually, sometimes it's just an investment that pays off pretty well with little risk.

Didn't Bo Jackson or some other Sox player own a whole six flat or something like that in Hinsdale a few years back?

steff
01-26-2004, 06:21 PM
The house is in Oak Brook. Just one block south of 31st and Midwest Road (same as Cass). I only know because my parents live around the corner from the house. His house backs up to Midwest Club (private subdivision). My mom (through a friend) was able to check out the house when it was listed and no one was living there. She said it was amazing!

FRANK WILL DOMINATE!

....OK....

As for amazing.. to each his own but I could have done withouth the black and white checker pattern tiles. And the disco room.. ugh.. tacky!! :D:

steff
01-26-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
WRT real estate stuff--
A lot of players buy condos to rent out; sometimes they end up living there eventually, sometimes it's just an investment that pays off pretty well with little risk.

Didn't Bo Jackson or some other Sox player own a whole six flat or something like that in Hinsdale a few years back?

No idea about that, but Bo owns several properties in the Joliet and Shorewood areas.

BeerHandle
01-27-2004, 10:20 AM
....OK....

As for amazing.. to each his own but I could have done withouth the black and white checker pattern tiles. And the disco room.. ugh.. tacky!! :D:

Come on, the disco room. Doesn't it remind you of the movie "The Jerk"?

ChiSoxBobette
01-27-2004, 11:35 AM

The Chicago media is'nt happy unless ther're ripping on Frank or causing problems for the guy. If he wore scrub blue he would be the greatest in Chicago.

steff
01-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Come on, the disco room. Doesn't it remind you of the movie "The Jerk"?

No. It was nasty. And it was too loud. The system was too big for the entire house much less just that room.

duke of dorwood
01-27-2004, 02:06 PM
OFF season means OFF.

No one wants to be bothered by work during time OFF.

Reporters just dont get it

steff
01-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
OFF season means OFF.

No one wants to be bothered by work during time OFF.

Reporters just dont get it

Just like vacation. I don't take calls from work on vacation. I listen to the message and if it's necessary I call back but usually not.

quade36
01-27-2004, 02:14 PM

This is a positive article about Frank when the media has done nothing but try to make him out to be a bad guy by blowing something small way out of proportion.

It was really refreshing to read something not synical.

Stoky44
01-27-2004, 02:16 PM
Does anybody know how much Frank's house sold for? How big was the house? And what are some of the key features to the house, like I know a little about "Club 35" in the basement, but can someone tell me more about it?

Deadguy
01-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
Does anybody know how much Frank's house sold for? How big was the house? And what are some of the key features to the house, like I know a little about "Club 35" in the basement, but can someone tell me more about it?

I think it sold for 7.95 million, which is less than it initially cost Thomas to build it. He probably had to sell it for less than market value because few people in the market for houses at that price have the need for such features as a batting cage (unless they are also MLB players).

steff
01-27-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44

I think it cost him $9 million to build.. put it on the market for $11.5, and sold for just under $8.

BeerHandle
01-28-2004, 11:13 PM
I think it cost him $9 million to build.. put it on the market for $11.5, and sold for just under $8.

Very good. 29,000 square feet that sold for $7,950,000.

steff
01-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Very good. 29,000 square feet that sold for $7,950,000.

IMO, it was cheap. The thing had/has anything and everything you can imagine!! The batting cages were unreal. The basement - which was pretty much another house - was phenominal. Another HUGE was the washer & dryer IN the MB closet.. ugh.. a dream come true for any female!! :D:

FanOf14
01-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Another HUGE was the washer & dryer IN the MB closet.. ugh.. a dream come true for any female!! :D:

When we rebuilt our house, we put the washer and dryer on the second floor across the hall from the master bedroom - and I agree 110%. While, it may not be in the MB closet, it is still fairly close to a dream come true for me! :D:

steff
01-29-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
When we rebuilt our house, we put the washer and dryer on the second floor across the hall from the master bedroom - and I agree 110%. While, it may not be in the MB closet, it is still fairly close to a dream come true for me! :D:

Fan... they had 6 sets!!