PDA

View Full Version : Don't F With Mr. Zero

34 Inch Stick
01-26-2004, 01:55 PM
Instead of some already used song like Hells Bells, I hope the Sox put the clip from when harry met sally up on the board when takatsu comes into the game.

jabrch
01-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Instead of some already used song like Hells Bells, I hope the Sox put the clip from when harry met sally up on the board when takatsu comes into the game.

How about Long Duck Dong from 16 candles?

kittle42
01-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
How about Long Duck Dong from 16 candles?

Why do I have a feeling this wouldn't exactly go over very well?

jabrch
01-26-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Why do I have a feeling this wouldn't exactly go over very well?

Wouldn't be the best PR with the Japanese Community that we should try and court - huh?

"No more yanky my wanky - Donger need food!"

quade36
01-26-2004, 02:45 PM
I think the song "turning japanese" would be great.

skottyj242
01-26-2004, 02:50 PM
My seats are three rows behind the Sox bullpen so we were wondering if they would let us bring a gong into the stadium and get up and bang it every time whatever the hell his name is enters the game.

npdempse
01-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by quade36

You do know what that song is about no?

I think it's more appropriate for that j-off Reinsdorf.

quade36
01-26-2004, 03:00 PM
I know, just thought it would still be funny

Baby Fisk
01-26-2004, 03:06 PM
Whatcha gonna be
Whatcha gonna be brother,
ZERO THE HERO!

Don'tcha wanna be
Don'tcha wanna be brother,
ZERO THE HERO!

Randar68
01-26-2004, 03:08 PM

They should just change his name from Mr Zero to Mr Five-point-Zero and get it over with...

Sorry to rain on the parade, folks...

Hangar18
01-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by skottyj242
My seats are three rows behind the Sox bullpen so we were wondering if they would let us bring a gong into the stadium and get up and bang it every time whatever the hell his name is enters the game.

Mine were 2 rows behind the bullpen .... I'll gladly help

ondafarm
01-26-2004, 03:48 PM

I still say "Saved by Zero"

SEALgep
01-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
They should just change his name from Mr Zero to Mr Five-point-Zero and get it over with...

Sorry to rain on the parade, folks...

Randar68, do you hate the Sox or something? Every post you have is about how the Sox messed up, or that they aren't any good. I mean everyone knows there are question marks, but it's coming off like you almost want to them to fail.

eriqjaffe
01-26-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
You do know what that song is about no?

Actually, it's not about that. VH1 did a series a few months ago called "True Spin", where Doug Feiger himself claimed that the song was about feeling alone and alienated, like a foreigner.

It's funnier to think of the other meaning, though.

Maybe something by Loudness (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll)?

--Eriq.

soxnut
01-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm
I still say "Saved by Zero"

That's the one and only song it should be.....the titile makes so much sense folks.

thecell
01-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by quade36

Thanks, I can't get that song out of my head now. :)

maurice
01-26-2004, 04:27 PM
I'm with Randar. Like I said in the original Takatsu thread, his stuff was in steady decline while facing Japanese hitters. At this stage of his career, he walks too many and strikes out too few. He might fool some guys early on, but I'm not counting on this guy being a good major league pitcher.

pudge
01-26-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Randar68, do you hate the Sox or something? Every post you have is about how the Sox messed up, or that they aren't any good. I mean everyone knows there are question marks, but it's coming off like you almost want to them to fail.

Dude, don't even waste your time... but I do agree with Randar on this one... Shingo will get shelled.

Randar68
01-26-2004, 05:43 PM

Nothing like that at all. I love the Sox as much or more than about anyone here. However, I've had the opportunity to see a lot of these players play before they were major leaguers. In addition, I haven't exactly been ultra impressed with the ability of almost all of the Asian players to find continued success in this league. Many have a good year or 2 before a steady decline as pitchers or hitters figure them out.

Ichiro the obvious exception. However, there have been several Asian players with better stuff and history of success in the Asian leagues to come here and fail or to be mediocre. I am just not going to get excited about an aging and decline pitcher from Japan.

On a similar note, I'm sorry I'm not a fan of Aaron Rowand. Having no clue what a strike zone is and playing oblivious defensive CF does not make one a hero for me like it apparently does for others.

Running into a wall doesn't mean you're a good defensive OF'er, it means you have no field awareness. Throwing a rocket in warm-ups doesn't help you set your feet to make an accurate throw in the game.

I try to analyze players with my eyes and my brain instead of my heart. Unfortunately, that means I don't always see AAAA players as the best option at given positions. If people can't handle that, well tough ****.

It's my opinion, and you don't have to like it. I think I have enough of a history around these parts to at least be entitled to it.

soxwon
01-26-2004, 05:50 PM
i still like shingo bells(jingle bells)

SEALgep
01-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Nothing like that at all. I love the Sox as much or more than about anyone here. However, I've had the opportunity to see a lot of these players play before they were major leaguers. In addition, I haven't exactly been ultra impressed with the ability of almost all of the Asian players to find continued success in this league. Many have a good year or 2 before a steady decline as pitchers or hitters figure them out.

Ichiro the obvious exception. However, there have been several Asian players with better stuff and history of success in the Asian leagues to come here and fail or to be mediocre. I am just not going to get excited about an aging and decline pitcher from Japan.

On a similar note, I'm sorry I'm not a fan of Aaron Rowand. Having no clue what a strike zone is and playing oblivious defensive CF does not make one a hero for me like it apparently does for others.

Running into a wall doesn't mean you're a good defensive OF'er, it means you have no field awareness. Throwing a rocket in warm-ups doesn't help you set your feet to make an accurate throw in the game.

I try to analyze players with my eyes and my brain instead of my heart. Unfortunately, that means I don't always see AAAA players as the best option at given positions. If people can't handle that, well tough ****.

It's my opinion, and you don't have to like it. I think I have enough of a history around these parts to at least be entitled to it.

You are certainly entitled to it. I just feel you're not giving a fair shot to some of the guys. There have been players like Nomo who also performed well. Nobody has seen this Takatsu, including us, so its hard to say he will have the same fate to those who have failed. Other clubs were interested besides just the Sox, including the Yanks. You very well could be right, and maybe I am being naive, but I still like our chances in competing for the Central.

Randar68
01-26-2004, 06:06 PM
You are certainly entitled to it. I just feel you're not giving a fair shot to some of the guys. There have been players like Nomo who also performed well. Nobody has seen this Takatsu, including us, so its hard to say he will have the same fate to those who have failed. Other clubs were interested besides just the Sox, including the Yanks. You very well could be right, and maybe I am being naive, but I still like our chances in competing for the Central.

While I have never seen him pitch in person, others have. Don't make assumptions, here.

I give everyone a fair chance, however, I have seen Rowand through his minor and major league career and he still makes mistakes a guy like Willie Harris, who is a converted 2B, doesn't make.

I don't hold out much hope for Rowand, although I certainly want the Sox to win and Rowand to prove me wrong. However, based on the past several years I have seen him play, I hold out VERY little hope of that. He may hit .280, but he won't have an OBP much if any over .300 even at that.

This team has enough guys who can't get on base. If he's only going to get on base at a .300 clip, hell, play Borchard, at least he'll walk into the ball occassionally and hit 20 HR's swinging blind. Besides, as bad as some people here think LTP is in center, he's better defensively than Rowand hands down.

Reed will get on base, even if he only hits .250, on top of that, he can actually steal a base and has pretty good instincts for a guy who has limited experience in CF.

Rowand may serve as adequate for this season, but this team is lacking in OBP guys and difference makers. That is something Rowand will NEVER be.

Randar68
01-26-2004, 06:06 PM

BTW, Nomo is only adequate when he pitches in Dodger Stadium or Comerica. Otherwise he's like a Roman Candle out there.