PDA

View Full Version : KW said what?

Palehose13
01-26-2004, 11:25 AM
On lunch I am lucky enough to be able to tune in Boers and Bernstein to get my Chicago sports fix. Bernstein is going off about KW saying that the media and fans are at fault (for what I don't know...)???

Does anyone have a link? I checked the times and trib and found nothing. Can anyone fill me in???

CubKilla
01-26-2004, 11:28 AM
They're probably talking about KW saying over the weekend that if fans show up in April and May that the White Sox will commit to adding players..... if they're in contention..... in June and July as long as the Sox fans are still filling USCF.

He didn't flat out blame the media and fans, but the precedent is there in the words he used.

Hangar18
01-26-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Palehose13
On lunch I am lucky enough to be able to tune in Boers and Bernstein to get my Chicago sports fix. Bernstein is going off about KW saying that the media and fans are at fault (for what I don't know...)???

Does anyone have a link? I checked the times and trib and found nothing. Can anyone fill me in???

Check my Link "SunTimes says if Fans Come, Sox will Build"
It was Saturdays story about them signing Shingo, but the gist
of the story was them blaming the Fans.

habibharu
01-26-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
They're probably talking about KW saying over the weekend that if fans show up in April and May that the White Sox will commit to adding players..... if they're in contention..... in June and July as long as the Sox fans are still filling USCF.

He didn't flat out blame the media and fans, but the precedent is there in the words he used.

yeah thats it. i think they had somethin about it in the suntimes yesterday

SEALgep
01-26-2004, 11:33 AM
These guys hate KW because he won't go on their show anymore. That's why they blow things out of proportion.

Palehose13
01-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

I read that article and I thught KW's logic made some sense and didn't offend me. However, Bernstein keeps saying that KW said "evil media", blah, blah, blah...Anyone know what this is about?

BTW...The way B&B are currently talking about the Sox, I would pissed too. They are saying that the Sox are "dead", Ivan Calderon was shot by the Sox as a move to show fans that they need to go to the park...Geesh!!! How many years have the cubs completely sucked the previous year and did nothing in the offseason??? I don't recall them getting treatment like this.

Palehose13
01-26-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
These guys hate KW because he won't go on their show anymore. That's why they blow things out of proportion.
I agree with that. I heard his interview Friday on ESPN and I thought it was a good interview. The score has a bunch of pricks on the air. I wouldn't talk to them either!

Jerko
01-26-2004, 11:42 AM
I don't even listen to the "Sox fan hosts" on the score anymore. Even when they talk Sox they cut off any fan who has their own opinion, which is what differentiates us from Cub "fans" in the first place. Sound like KW is "towing the company line" when he "blames" the fans. Somebody brought up "Field of Dreams" in a different thread and I just keep hearing "if you build it, they will come". The Sox have it mixed up since their motto seems to be "If you come, we'll build it". At least TRY to replace one of the 7 guys you lost and stop talking budget and stop raising prices and then maybe the fans won't be so turned off.

CubKilla
01-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
The Sox have it mixed up since their motto seems to be "If you come, we'll build it"..

And even then, there are no guarantees.

:reinsy

"You'll just have to take me at my word."

Lip Man 1
01-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Some members of the media still are offended over this quote from Kenny Williams on the first day of Sox spring training in 2001. It literally was the first day he was on the job as GM in an on the field setting. It was part of his address to the club:

"We've got to battle some of the outside forces that apparently surround the club with, quite honestly, much of the negativity that comes from the media, or the perception [of negativity]. For whatever the reason, it's out there."

The above remarks printed in the February 22 edition of the Chicago Tribune.

A stupid thing to say. Considering the track record of this organization the media should be going after management with pitchforks.

Lip

Maximo
01-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Some members of the media still are offended over this quote from Kenny Williams on the first day of Sox spring training in 2001. It literally was the first day he was on the job as GM in an on the field setting. It was part of his address to the club:

"We've got to battle some of the outside forces that apparently surround the club with, quite honestly, much of the negativity that comes from the media, or the perception [of negativity]. For whatever the reason, it's out there."

A stupid thing to say. Considering the track record of this organization the media should be going after management with pitchforks.

Lip

Outside of crying 'poor mouth', Reinsdorf has a poor track record for hiring the right guy for the right job at the right time. Maybe under different circumstances, Kenny Williams would be more highly regarded as a GM. But one thing is for certain, when you are trying to build support, there are some things you just don't say and Kenny has never mastered that art.

We've already heard Ozzie's opening press conference......same play...different cast.

It seems like every time Reinsdorf checks the barometer outside, he guesses wrong on what the weather forecast is going to be.
I like leaders who are 'standup guys'..... but think before you talk. These two make Howard Dean look like an "authority" on what to say and when.

SEALgep
01-26-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

I believe it was a legitmate concern. He's not blaming the media with that statement. He's merely pointing out that when things aren't going well the media just adds to spiral of negativity. It only makes it harder. Sometimes things need to be said, but some media folks are negative about the Sox regardless of what is done. The guys on 670 AM this morning were just sounding stupid. "KW said it's the fans fault and my fault for problems they face." They kept repeating it, and I listened to what KW said, and it was nothing like that. Totally blown out of proportion.

Dan Gelo
01-26-2004, 12:58 PM
How about Boers and Bernstein are realistic and Kenny doesn't want to deal with that. The sox as an organization just don't have a good business concept. The Mike Imrem column was on point. Jerry just doesn't seem to get the good product/vigilant consumers thing. If Katz' Deli in NY had crappy Pastrami, it wouldn't be famous and wouldn't be packed everyday.

Palehose13
01-26-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I believe it was a legitmate concern. He's not blaming the media with that statement. He's merely pointing out that when things aren't going well the media just adds to spiral of negativity. It only makes it harder. Sometimes things need to be said, but some media folks are negative about the Sox regardless of what is done. The guys on 670 AM this morning were just sounding stupid. "KW said it's the fans fault and my fault for problems they face." They kept repeating it, and I listened to what KW said, and it was nothing like that. Totally blown out of proportion.
I agree with your sentiment. Are the score idiots referring to the article in the times or something else?

Palehose13
01-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Dan Gelo
How about Boers and Bernstein are realistic and Kenny doesn't want to deal with that. The sox as an organization just don't have a good business concept. The Mike Imrem column was on point. Jerry just doesn't seem to get the good product/vigilant consumers thing. If Katz' Deli in NY had crappy Pastrami, it wouldn't be famous and wouldn't be packed everyday.
I don't know if realistic is the right word for them. Christ, they were comparing the Sox to the Blackhawks....c'mon we aren't THAT bad!

CubKilla
01-26-2004, 01:04 PM
I don't know if realistic is the right word for them. Christ, they were comparing the Sox to the Blackhawks....c'mon we aren't THAT bad!

They're on the path though

duke of dorwood
01-26-2004, 01:05 PM
Things are bad enough this winter. Why even turn on 670 unless Julie is on??

Palehose13
01-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Things are bad enough this winter. Why even turn on 670 unless Julie is on??
Good advice. I will try to follow it, but ESPN is national and I don't want to even think about listening to milwaukee sports radio (if there is such a thing...) :(:

CWSGuy406
01-26-2004, 04:33 PM

But at least the Hawks won a championship 43 years ago (sucks to say that). The Sox have been futile for much, much longer. No, I'm not saying the Sox are worse than the Hawks.

maurice
01-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
But at least the Hawks won a championship 43 years ago (sucks to say that).

And they played in a championship series during my lifetime.

TornLabrum
01-26-2004, 08:06 PM

I did the same in my last article. That's the direction current ownership is driving this club. They're not there yet, but they're well on their way.

batmanZoSo
01-26-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Still, it's a mystery why the White Sox have such a negative public image.