PDA

View Full Version : this makes me hate chairman even more!

habibharu
01-26-2004, 12:17 PM
watching mark cuban at the bulls game friday made me so jealous. why cant we have an owner like him? besides the fact that he is willing to pay any price to win, give the players the best locker rooms in the league, give the fans the best atmosphere, and is so passionate about his team, he even mingles with "normal people". he wasnt sitting in a box or a private area, he was sitting in the crowd. and he didnt have like 4 bodyguards around him. he was just chiilin like a regular joe. he was wearing a finley jersey and just havin a good time. after the game he was in the lobby talkin to fans. i even asked him if he was interested in buying the sox. he laughed and said no, not right now. can you imagine the chairmen doing these things? he doesnt even care about either one of his teams. all he does if he goes to the game is sit in his box with his suit and just avoids everybody. i think that if we had an owner like cuban, who is basically just a passionate fan who happens to be a billionaire, instead of a a guy who only cares about his capital wealth, this town would go crazy for the sox.

:sellreinsy

bennyw41
01-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Yo man, I don't know if you noticed, but when i was there on friday, he was sitting in a velvet roped off area, directly behind the bench. That isn't in the crowd. He was peaking over the huddle during time-outs and giving high-fives to players. I agree with some of your points, but he is not "just another fan".

habibharu
01-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
Yo man, I don't know if you noticed, but when i was there on friday, he was sitting in a velvet roped off area, directly behind the bench. That isn't in the crowd. He was peaking over the huddle during time-outs and giving high-fives to players. I agree with some of your points, but he is not "just another fan".

all right so its not like he was sitting right next to me, but even sitting in a roped off area is much better than some stupid box, watching the game on a tv

CubKilla
01-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
watching mark cuban at the bulls game friday made me so jealous. why cant we have an owner like him? besides the fact that he is willing to pay any price to win, give the players the best locker rooms in the league, give the fans the best atmosphere, and is so passionate about his team, he even mingles with "normal people". he wasnt sitting in a box or a private area, he was sitting in the crowd. and he didnt have like 4 bodyguards around him. he was just chiilin like a regular joe. he was wearing a finley jersey and just havin a good time. after the game he was in the lobby talkin to fans. i even asked him if he was interested in buying the sox. he laughed and said no, not right now. can you imagine the chairmen doing these things? he doesnt even care about either one of his teams. all he does if he goes to the game is sit in his box with his suit and just avoids everybody. i think that if we had an owner like cuban, who is basically just a passionate fan who happens to be a billionaire, instead of a a guy who only cares about his capital wealth, this town would go crazy for the sox.

:sellreinsy

:reinsy

"Like I tell certain members of my season ticket fanbase during season ticket holder's only meetings..... SHUT UP! Keep lining my pockets even when I do close to nothing in the offseason even though Chicago's real baseball team was only 5 outs away from the World Series last season! Buy your tickets, plant yourself in your seat, AND ZIP IT! Who are you to tell ME how to spend my money? And I didn't make the taxpayers pay for a baseball stadium built around the idea of SKYBOXES for nothing! My skybox is my personal symbol of just where you ungrateful Sox fans stand with me! Don't you know I could have moved this team to Tampa Bay? I saved the Sox for Chicago and this is the thanks I get? And you wonder why I never leave the plush luxury of my skybox."

soxnut
01-26-2004, 12:57 PM
I'd like to know how many owners don't sit in a luxury suite. :?:

habibharu
01-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
I'd like to know how many owners don't sit in a luxury suite. :?:

you're right most do, but i was just pointing out the difference between a business man who buys a team for profit and a sports nut who buys a team because he is passionate

anewman35
01-26-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
you're right most do, but i was just pointing out the difference between a business man who buys a team for profit and a sports nut who buys a team because he is passionate

Mark Cuban is great, sure. But is it really fair to be pissed because JR isn't as great as the greatest owner? Most owners are much closer to JR than they are to Cuban.

jeremyb1
01-26-2004, 01:45 PM
The difference is there's a salary cap in basketball. You'll never see the type of disparity there is in baseball where a team like the Brewers has a payroll of 30 million and the Yankees have a payroll of 180 million. If that type of disparity existed in basketball, you wouldn't see Cuban spending as much as clubs like the Bulls and the Knicks.

gogosoxgogo
01-26-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
If that type of disparity existed in basketball, you wouldn't see Cuban spending as much as clubs like the Bulls and the Knicks.

Are you forgetting who the owner of the Bulls is?

jeremyb1
01-26-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Are you forgetting who the owner of the Bulls is?

Yeah, the guy that handed out what remains the largest annual salary in the history of professional sports, 30 million to Jordan. I'm not a huge JR fan but I think its unrealistic to suggest that if the Sox had one of the top 2 or 3 revenues in baseball as the Bulls do in basketball, we would still have a mid-level payroll.

It seems indisputable to me that revenue heavily impacts a teams payroll and that the Bulls and White Sox financial situations are incredibly different. The Bulls are the Yankees of basketball. They remain in the top 5 in attendance despite fielding one of the absolute worst teams each of the past six seasons. The White Sox fail to draw 2 million despite consistently fielding contending teams.

dickallen15
01-26-2004, 05:28 PM
Mark Cuban is absolutely HATED by the Mavericks and their coaching staff.

gogosoxgogo
01-27-2004, 08:37 PM
Hey, at least JR doesn't put the ole' smackdown on hecklers that come to the park :D:

red faber
01-30-2004, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
Mark Cuban is great, sure. But is it really fair to be pissed because JR isn't as great as the greatest owner? Most owners are much closer to JR than they are to Cuban.

you've got a point,but would it kill reinsdork to show a little more passion?????