PDA

View Full Version : Eric Gange

Dadawg_77
01-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Eric Gange is asking for 8 million in arbitration, the Dodgers counter with five million. The Dodgers need help with their at the plate. With Mota there does Eric Gange become expendable especially if he win his case? Now I think the Sox and Dodgers are a good fit to make a trade but the Sox wouldn't want to take on Gange salary. This could also cause Evans to hedge his bets by not moving Mota since he may have to trade Gange. I wonder if there is a way for the Sox to get Gange and move him on to somewhere and add talent in the process.

ewokpelts
01-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Eric Gange is asking for 8 million in arbitration, the Dodgers counter with five million. The Dodgers need help with their at the plate. With Mota there does Eric Gange become expendable especially if he win his case? Now I think the Sox and Dodgers are a good fit to make a trade but the Sox wouldn't want to take on Gange salary. This could also cause Evans to hedge his bets by not moving Mota since he may have to trade Gange. I wonder if there is a way for the Sox to get Gange and move him on to somewhere and add talent in the process.
I'd that that Quebeqois closer in a heartbeat.
Gene

lowesox
01-26-2004, 12:03 PM
I doubt the Dodgers would part with Gagne, but if the Sox were to pass on him at a discounted rate I would have to find a new team to support.

CubKilla
01-26-2004, 12:05 PM
I wonder if there is a way for the Sox to get Gange and move him on to somewhere and add talent in the process.

Botch and/or Konerko for Gagne

And if the arbitrator sides w/LA and the $5 million counter, how sad is it that Gagne will make less than Botch in '04?

habibharu
01-26-2004, 12:07 PM
no way that gagne gets traded. he has got to be an untouchable for LA! he is unhittable. shut down closers like that are invaluble. the only way that i can see us getting him is if we trade mags for him straight up.

Dadawg_77
01-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Botch and/or Konerko for Gagne

And if the arbitrator sides w/LA and the $5 million counter, how sad is it that Gagne will make less than Botch in '04?

Can't compare, Gange is entering his fourth year. That is what makes those numbers big. For a first time arbitration eligible player, 8 million is a lot of cash. One thing which allows Gange to do this is CBA contains a clause which allows a player of great accomplishment (read Cy Young award) to not only compare himself to players with the same service time but all players.

Dadawg_77
01-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
no way that gagne gets traded. he has got to be an untouchable for LA! he is unhittable. shut down closers like that are invaluble. the only way that i can see us getting him is if we trade mags for him straight up.

I honestly think any closer's value is overrated. The team would be helped better with a great stick then guy who appears for three outs. Also with Mota there, they have a good replacement ready and could get a great bat for Gange.

habibharu
01-26-2004, 12:18 PM
I honestly think any closer's value is overrated. The team would be helped better with a great stick then guy who appears for three outs. Also with Mota there, they have a good replacement ready and could get a great bat for Gange.

true, mota does have closer stuff, but i think we'd have to give up too much for gagne

Dadawg_77
01-26-2004, 12:23 PM
true, mota does have closer stuff, but i think we'd have to give up too much for gagne

Thats where the three way idea came from. Talent from the Sox and thrid team go to the dodgers for Gange. The third team gets Gange or eats someone like Koch from us to give the Sox salary relief. Since Kenny seems to want to trade Thomas, he would be a perfect bait to the Dodgers. Allows them to trade or put LoDuca back at catcher, and gives them a great bat.

StepsInSC
01-26-2004, 12:44 PM

True about closers. There's no way he'll go perfect this year, and when he blows a few everyone will think he lost his 'touch'. IMO they should trade him away now while his stock is so high.

FarmerAndy
01-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Gagne is like a rockstar in LA. It would be P.R. suicide to trade him right now.

I went to a couple of games in L.A. last year. I have never seen a ballpark go nuts the way the fans did in L.A. when Gagne came out of the bullpen. It was like the corny scene in Major League when Rick Vaughn came out of the bullpen to face Haywood.

He draws more fans than any other player there. They will not trade him.

(Besides, his only blunder all of last season happened at Comiskey Park. I would imagine this is the last place he'd come to. :smile: )

LATruBlue
01-26-2004, 04:31 PM
I for one don't think that Gagne is going anywhere. I don't think the Dodgers would trade him because they would suffer a backlash bigger than when they traded another fan favorite in Mike Piazza.

Gagne is like in the stratosphere of closers. He was perfect last year and virtually perfect the year before. He has done all that has been asked of him as a closer. Primarily he and Mota (along with the other relief corp) are what allowed the Dodger pitching staff to only have to try to make it to the 6th or 7th inning. If they got that far then it was basically lights out. And to the guy that said the fans go wild when Gagne comes in the 8th or 9th inning, he was right. The fans get psyched and go butt wild because they know that the game is OVER. Gagne justs overpowers everybody.

hold2dibber
01-26-2004, 04:47 PM

There's no way in hell the Dodgers would trade Gagne, who is not two or three years away from free agency and is the best closer in baseball, for Maggs, who is in the last year of his contract and no matter what will earn nearly double (or more) what Gagne earns in '04.

TheRockinMT
01-26-2004, 06:10 PM
The Chisox are the only ones who trade away their super stars when the become successful.

MRKARNO
01-26-2004, 06:48 PM
Mota is more expendable than Gagne. You cant get rid of Gagne

soxfan26
01-26-2004, 06:53 PM

When has payroll ever been an issue for LA?

A. Cavatica
01-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Gagne? He can't get AL hitters out.