PDA

View Full Version : Rich King Interview

Maximo
01-26-2004, 07:26 AM
Good interview, "Lip".

If Reinsdorf truly wants to win a World Series so badly, but money is a concern, then why doesn't he use that creative business mind of his to generate more working capital.

I don't want to over simplify things, but it seems to me he needs to restructure the investor setup to bring an infusion of fresh money into the equation. Bring in some new money men, buy out the old guys who are only concerned about the 'bottom line' and get to work on making this a viable, competitive and energetic professional sports operation. If he wants to maintain control, he can set up the new structure in a way that continues to allow him to do just that. Certainly there are a lot of logistics that need to be ironed out, but it's not impossible. Corporations do it all the time when they need to reorganize to make a better and more competitive product.

Furthermore...he currently has the only 'safety net' in Major league baseball where the taxpayers will help bail his butt out if the Sox don't reach 1.2 million in attendance. That, plus the money US Cellular is kicking in, make the Sox far from an unattractive investment to potential new investors.

Until he gets off his high horse and restructures the current ownership set up, that "I want to win a World Series in the worst way" line...is a lotta crap.

Lastly.....the 'chemistry' on this ball club is horrible. As much as I like what Frank Thomas achieved on the field for several years, his allegiance to Reinsdorf, coincided with his ego, makes for a strange and unhappy climate in the clubhouse. Combine that with KW's arrogance and Ozzie's "foot in the mouth' disease, peace is just a dream on this team.

The discontent among Sox fans is beginning to turn to anger. Reinsdorf needs to wake up....or get out.

CubKilla
01-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Maximo
Lastly.....the 'chemistry' on this ball club is horrible. As much as I like what Frank Thomas achieved on the field for several years, his allegiance to Reinsdorf, coincided with his ego, makes for a strange and unhappy climate in the clubhouse. Combine that with KW's arrogance and Ozzie's "foot in the mouth' disease, peace is just a dream on this team.

You can add Rich King to the list of Chicago broadcasters that don't understand Frank Thomas.

ewokpelts
01-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Good interview, "Lip".

If Reinsdorf truly wants to win a World Series so badly, but money is a concern, then why doesn't he use that creative business mind of his to generate more working capital.

I don't want to over simplify things, but it seems to me he needs to restructure the investor setup to bring an infusion of fresh money into the equation. Bring in some new money men, buy out the old guys who are only concerned about the 'bottom line' and get to work on making this a viable, competitive and energetic professional sports operation. If he wants to maintain control, he can set up the new structure in a way that continues to allow him to do just that. Certainly there are a lot of logistics that need to be ironed out, but it's not impossible. Corporations do it all the time when they need to reorganize to make a better and more competitive product.

Furthermore...he currently has the only 'safety net' in Major league baseball where the taxpayers will help bail his butt out if the Sox don't reach 1.2 million in attendance. That, plus the money US Cellular is kicking in, make the Sox far from an unattractive investment to potential new investors.

Until he gets off his high horse and restructures the current ownership set up, that "I want to win a World Series in the worst way" line...is a lotta crap.

The discontent among Sox fans is beginning to turn to anger. Reinsdorf needs to wake up....or get out.

The Sox could raise capital be selling non-voting shares in the team. They'd get an influx of cash, and no excuses for not winning.
Gene

soxnut
01-26-2004, 11:52 AM
That was a good article. Rich King made alot of good points. If it is the case that JR wants to win, but really doesn't have the resources, he needs to get investors that are willing to spend. Hey, Ziffman, if you're still out there, how about at least becoming an investor in the Sox, with an opportunity to buy out JR when he retires?? :?:

CubKilla
01-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
Hey, Ziffman, if you're still out there, how about at least becoming an investor in the Sox, with an opportunity to buy out JR when he retires?? :?:

I think "Ziffman" was exposed as a hoaxster..... but I'm not sure.

DrCrawdad
01-26-2004, 12:19 PM
Good interview, "Lip".

I enjoyed the Rich King interview too. I don't remember seeing any comments by King on WSI. Did King have anything to say about the site? Does it King visit?

I found King's comments on Veeck of interest. King's comment about Einhorn trying to apologize, I don't seem to remember reading those before. The story of the Sox prop-plane ride out of Toronto during the Veeck years was funny. Maybe Einhorn was onto something with his comment on Veeck.

Rex Hudler
01-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I think "Ziffman" was exposed as a hoaxster..... but I'm not sure.

This comment begs for me to say "I don't want to see an exposed Ziffman", but curiosity makes me say "when was he exposed and where?"

I must have missed something because I don't recall anything definitive coming out either way.

hose
01-26-2004, 05:12 PM
Great interview Lip !!

TornLabrum
01-26-2004, 08:03 PM
Kudos, Lip. I've always liked the way King handles the placement of his stories about the Cubs and Sox.

Now the question is, was Dan Roan reporting his own feelings about the Sox clubhouse, or was he reporting what the other players told him it is like?

RKMeibalane
01-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
You can add Rich King to the list of Chicago broadcasters that don't understand Frank Thomas.

LMAO.

doublem23
01-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a blown up image of King's pic on the main page? I just want to take it to the gym, stick it on a punching bag, and beat the living **** out of it.

Thank you. :smile:

soxnut
01-26-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Does anyone know where I can find a blown up image of King's pic on the main page? I just want to take it to the gym, stick it on a punching bag, and beat the living **** out of it.

Thank you. :smile:

Do you have an intelligent answer as to why you'd want to do that? :?:

doublem23
01-27-2004, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
Do you have an intelligent answer as to why you'd want to do that? :?:

Well, I've been doing a lot of running lately, and I really need to start working on the upper body strength again, but I don't like to lift weights all the time. I could collect the whole set... Mariotti, Mike Downey, Mark Giangreco, King, etc. and just have a good ol' time with the punching bag.

Other than that, nope.

joepoe
01-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Great interview, Mark. One of your best. Rich King is a class act.