PDA

View Full Version : Wally Backman::

misty60481
01-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Does anyone have any idea what happened to Wallys climb to be manager?? I thought he might make a good one I guess he didnt see eye to eye with JR & KW maybe we need someone who is not Mr. Niceguy like Billy Martin someone who will go get drunk and punch somebody in a bar..

beckett21
01-25-2004, 08:43 PM
My guess is that it has something to do with calling Ron Gardenhire and asking him to whup up on the Sox so he can get Manuel's job. But that's just me.

ondafarm
01-25-2004, 08:48 PM
If I owned a major league team (Ha, snicker, snicker) Mr Backman would be my first choice for manager. I've seen his team play, they just don't quit, often snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Kinda the antithesis of Jerry Manuel's teams.

beckett21
01-25-2004, 08:53 PM
Maybe someone can post the article from yesterday's cubune (I am too computer illiterate to do it myself, or too lazy). May have been Friday's paper. Anyway, Backman was as surprised as anyone about not coming back to Birmingham. He denies the Gardy story, but no one seems to believe him. He has gone from a hot commodity to a pariah. People are looking at him with a suspicious eye now.

SEALgep
01-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by misty60481
Does anyone have any idea what happened to Wallys climb to be manager?? I thought he might make a good one I guess he didnt see eye to eye with JR & KW maybe we need someone who is not Mr. Niceguy like Billy Martin someone who will go get drunk and punch somebody in a bar..

KW has said to be taking the high road in not discussing the details of his release. I resepct that, but it makes me wonder what he did. Personally, I didn't want Wally as the manager, and I bet if we knew what he did (maybe it was confirmed with the Gardenhire incident) we would be happy to not have him at all. I could be wrong. I don't care about the drinking with the teamates or whatever, that's fine as long as it is done with tact and doesn't detrimate his ability to make these players better and into major leaguers. Maybe the way he went about it didn't give off a good impression, and tried to be more their drinking buddy than their mentor. I believe Guillen will provide a spark, and has made it clear he would have a beer and talk about baseball with any of the players. Not getting wasted with them (I don't know what Wally was known for, but someone gave me that impression, if it's wrong- sorry- but it doesn't affect this point) but being a manager who relates to the players. Get on the same page with them, but not by compromising the manager/player relationship. It is my OPINION, that Guillen will serve this role well, in addition to his overall managerial duties.

Rex Hudler
01-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
KW has said to be taking the high road in not discussing the details of his release. I resepct that, but it makes me wonder what he did. Personally, I didn't want Wally as the manager, and I bet if we knew what he did (maybe it was confirmed with the Gardenhire incident) we would be happy to not have him at all. I could be wrong. I don't care about the drinking with the teamates or whatever, that's fine as long as it is done with tact and doesn't detrimate his ability to make these players better and into major leaguers. Maybe the way he went about it didn't give off a good impression, and tried to be more their drinking buddy than their mentor. I believe Guillen will provide a spark, and has made it clear he would have a beer and talk about baseball with any of the players. Not getting wasted with them (I don't know what Wally was known for, but someone gave me that impression, if it's wrong- sorry- but it doesn't affect this point) but being a manager who relates to the players. Get on the same page with them, but not by compromising the manager/player relationship. It is my OPINION, that Guillen will serve this role well, in addition to his overall managerial duties.

I think the easiest way to look at it is that Wally and KW were never going to mix well. That is why even though Wally is one hell of a manager, I never felt he would get the Sox job. I don't buy the "real story" theory. That was just another stupid comment made by KW in reaction to Wally speaking out. Which, in my mind, Wally never should have done, because regardless of whether he was right or not, it doesn't help him look good to other prospective employers.

DrCrawdad
01-25-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm
If I owned a major league team (Ha, snicker, snicker) Mr Backman would be my first choice for manager. I've seen his team play, they just don't quit, often snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Kinda the antithesis of Jerry Manuel's teams.

Razor Shines has been described as a 'Kenny guy' as was Darryl Boston, both of whom are still employed by the Sox. Shines in fact getting Backman's job.

I sure hope the Sox got this hire of Guillen right.

beckett21
01-25-2004, 09:57 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040122soxbackman,1,7931336.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

OK, here's the link I was talking about...guess I'm just lazy! :D:

Irishsox1
01-26-2004, 01:43 PM
That Cubune article is more Tribune Corp. garbage. The only people that care about a mistreated minor league manager is the Tribune Corp and thats because it involves the White Sox. I'd like to see more articles in the Cubune about the raw deal the Cub fans are getting when it comes to buying "scalped" tickets, Dusty Bakers behavior after game 6 (blaming Bartman), Mark Prior and his questionable sideburns and Kerry Wood's below average looking wife.

rmusacch
01-26-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
That Cubune article is more Tribune Corp. garbage. The only people that care about a mistreated minor league manager is the Tribune Corp and thats because it involves the White Sox. I'd like to see more articles in the Cubune about the raw deal the Cub fans are getting when it comes to buying "scalped" tickets, Dusty Bakers behavior after game 6 (blaming Bartman), Mark Prior and his questionable sideburns and Kerry Wood's below average looking wife.

Kerry Wood's below average looking wife? Are you kidding me? I thought she was pretty decent when they kept showing her during the playoffs.

thecell
01-26-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Kerry Wood's below average looking wife? Are you kidding me? I thought she was pretty decent when they kept showing her during the playoffs.

Maybe below average for major leagues wives...

kittle42
01-28-2004, 02:34 PM
Off the wires if anyone cares:

Arizona Diamondbacks Named Wally Backman manager of Lancaster of the California League (A).