PDA

View Full Version : If Konerko ever gets traded...

doctor30th
01-25-2004, 04:41 PM
Who do you think is going to play firstbase?

Someone from the minors?

I notice that there are 2 options that would be ok with me still on the free agent market:

The more expensive Travis Lee

The Cheaper Eric Karros. Karros is not my favorite, but is far more useful then some of our other options.

I'm just not sure I want to see either Carlos Lee or Frank playing First base.

soxfan26
01-25-2004, 04:45 PM
FRANK THOMAS

chisoxmike
01-25-2004, 04:46 PM
FRANK! He's happier when he plays first, and he hits better.

SEALgep
01-25-2004, 04:51 PM
Frank, with Ross Gload giving him days off. He's hit well in the minors and winterball. Another plus is that he is a lefty. Comboing them, giving Frank days off as the DH, will allow Gload to get at bats (although sparatic) and potentially developing him to come off the bench as a pinch hitter. Could be a cheap, young replacement for Daubach.

soxfan26
01-25-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Could be a cheap, young replacement for Daubach.

Based on his numbers, I would be a good replacement for Daubach.

doctor30th
01-25-2004, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't mind Frank playing first but I would want to see him throw the ball and get some Double plays and also if he's going to play it he better be on the field like 120-140 games with only about 20-40 games as a DH.

hillbilly
01-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by soxfan26

lol, i can be your personal trainer then

soxfan26
01-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
if he's going to play it he better be on the field like 120-140 games with only about 20-40 games as a DH.

Why?

soxfan26
01-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by hillbilly
lol, i can be your personal trainer then

Your hired. Now I just need a travel coordinator, a fashion consultant, a personal batting instructor, and a super model wife!

beckett21
01-25-2004, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't mind us taking a flyer on Travis Lee. He has always had potential. Wait a minute, are you sure he didn't come out of our farm system? :D:

SEALgep
01-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by soxfan26

Why do I always get busted on by people who are pissed that aren't playing in the major leagues. Lol. Anyway, Daubach obviously proved he wasn't up for the challenge to be a pinch hitter, but maybe Gload is. Can't be worse. Daubach was a solid everyday player for Boston, but that doesn't translate to off the bench production. I think Gload is the best option in this role because he can play first well and the outfield if need be. Travis Lee is a very good player, and would be a good everyday first basemen. However, realistically speaking, I don't think the Sox would spend the money on him, despite the Konerko savings, unless he came down in price. If it could be worked out, that would be a good move as well. I would be confident with Gload in the role I explained.

soxfan26
01-25-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Why do I always get busted on by people who are pissed that aren't playing in the major leagues.

I'm also pissed that I don't wake up every morning next to Jennifer Anniston. :D:

ondafarm
01-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Everyday guy would be Ross Gload with Frank there 2-3 days a week.

kittle42
01-25-2004, 09:01 PM
What's great about this thread is that I knew from the title that there would be some excellent Ross Gload material in here.

doctor30th
01-25-2004, 09:07 PM
I apologize for creating this thread, I did not intend it to turn into a Ross Gload Thread. He was not one of the options I was really referring too.

soxfan26
01-25-2004, 09:15 PM
I apologize for creating this thread, I did not intend it to turn into a Ross Gload Thread. He was not one of the options I was really referring too.

If you wanted us to stick to the guys you named then you should have made it a poll, or been more specific. The two guys you named are not realistic options. First, Konerko is still on the team and there is no reason to think that is going to change. Second, if Konerko is traded you can't really expect JR to go out and spend money on a replacement. There are worse options than Thomas at 1B, like Rowand in CF, or Harris at 2B.

MRKARNO
01-25-2004, 09:37 PM

But what if he is a legit option? We need to give him the opportunity to show whether or not he is. He'll play the Daubach role this year, unless he puts up big numbers in the time given to him to prove himself

RKMeibalane
01-25-2004, 11:45 PM
:hurt

And with that in mind...

PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST!

red faber
01-26-2004, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
:hurt

And with that in mind...

PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST!

HE'S GETTING OLD!!!HE'S GETTING OLD!!!HE'S GETTING OLD!!!HE'S GETTING OLD!!!HE'S GETTING OLD!!!HE'S GETTING OLD!!!
HE'S GETTING OLD!!!HE'S GETTING OLD!!!HE'S GETTING OLD!!!

kittle42
01-26-2004, 11:35 AM
List of "old" men to recently play first base:

Fred McGriff
Rafael Palmeiro
John Olerud (one year younger than Frank)
Julio Franco (75 games)
Eric Karros (same age)
Jeff Bagwell (same age)
Tino Martinez (same age)

OK, I'm getting bored.

Deadguy
01-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by red faber
HE'S GETTING OLD!!!HE'S GETTING OLD!!!HE'S GETTING OLD!!!HE'S GETTING OLD!!!HE'S GETTING OLD!!!HE'S GETTING OLD!!!
HE'S GETTING OLD!!!HE'S GETTING OLD!!!HE'S GETTING OLD!!!

He's 35, not 45. Andres Galaragga is 7 years older than Frank, and he played a significant number of games for San Francisco last season.

Frater Perdurabo
01-26-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by kittle42

Fred McGriff
Rafael Palmeiro
Julio Franco (75 games)
Eric Karros (same age)
Jeff Bagwell (same age)
Tino Martinez (same age)

OK, I'm getting bored.

Frank had his best year statistically (94) when Franco hit cleanup behind him. Franco, if he could play 1B for 50 games and DH for another 75, and also pinch hit, might be a good pickup.

If it were possible, I'd like to see Olerud's sweet swing on The South Side....

Deadguy
01-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Frank had his best year statistically (94) when Franco hit cleanup behind him. Franco, if he could play 1B for 50 games and DH for another 75, and also pinch hit, might be a good pickup.

The Braves signed Franco to a Minor League contract earlier this month, and it is expected that he will make the roster, and play 1b when a LHP starts.

SEALgep
01-26-2004, 12:48 PM
From www.futuresox.com

Ross Gload, 27 - 1st/OF Ė L/L - Hermosillo
Stats: .328 AVG, .388 OBP, 12 HR, 51 RBI, 28 K, 23 BB
Last season Gload put up monster numbers for the Charlotte Knights. Despite those tremendous numbers, Gload has yet to shake his AAAA reputation heís received after hitting the cover off for the Cubs minor league system as well as the Rockies. During his short stints in the majors, Gload, has struggled mightily. This time things may be different. Gload has a sweet, short, compact swing and can hit for average and power. In my opinion, size (height) is the only thing thatís kept him from getting consistent playing time at the major league level. This spring he will be given the chance to earn a position on the White Sox bench.

doctor30th
01-26-2004, 05:46 PM
But what if he is a legit option? We need to give him the opportunity to show whether or not he is. He'll play the Daubach role this year, unless he puts up big numbers in the time given to him to prove himself

If you wanted us to stick to the guys you named then you should have made it a poll, or been more specific. The two guys you named are not realistic options.

When I said I Did not want to make it into a Ross Gload thread I mean the typical one where people argue over his minor league stats and how good of a player he will be. I don't care if you say Ross Gload, I did give the option of someone in the minors, I just don't consider him a viable option. I just don't want it to become a stupid Stat fight that has been raked over the Coals for the past month and we are all getting tired of.

First, Konerko is still on the team and there is no reason to think that is going to change.

The name of the thread is IF Konerko EVER gets Traded, not when.

red faber
01-27-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by kittle42

Fred McGriff
Rafael Palmeiro
Julio Franco (75 games)
Eric Karros (same age)
Jeff Bagwell (same age)
Tino Martinez (same age)

OK, I'm getting bored.

and all the guys you've mentioned are on the downsides of their careers..

so what's your point??????????

red faber
01-28-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Deadguy
He's 35, not 45. Andres Galaragga is 7 years older than Frank, and he played a significant number of games for San Francisco last season.

he's still not getting any younger though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trading konerko in favor of playing somebody in their late 30's is asinine.

kittle42
01-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by red faber
he's still not getting any younger though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trading konerko in favor of playing somebody in their late 30's is asinine.

They wouldn't be trading Konerko in favor of playing someone in their late 30's. They would be trading Konerko to dump salary and get another pitcher, and then would cover first base with (hopefully) Thomas.