PDA

View Full Version : Rob Gallas:" We want to ramp up...

hose
01-25-2004, 01:47 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intid=38011121

:gallas

SouthBendSox
01-25-2004, 02:29 PM
interesting read

not sure why "feeeling secure" is an issue to fans in the upper deck

but yea

hsnterprize
01-25-2004, 02:29 PM
As Arte Johnson said in Rowan and Martin's Laugh In...VERY INTERESTING.

Considering the Cubs draw fans into Wrigley Field hand over fist no matter how the team is doing...any of you have any suggestions for how the Sox can draw...other than the obvious winning team?

Hangar18
01-25-2004, 03:19 PM
" ..... 75% of the Hispanic community in Chicago is Mexican.
After Estebans great season, were looking to tie him in"

Hmmmm, why didnt they do that AS THE SEASON UNFOLDED?
Waited til the Cows got out, before they closed the gate

Hangar18
01-25-2004, 03:32 PM
I also like how he Sidesteps the the Cubs/Sox attendance issue by saying "theyre a phenomena", and ignoring the real reason the Cubs got this Wildly Popular.

1. Media Favoritism
2. White Sox Ignored Media Bias, thereby allowing prob to grow
3. Built an Obsolete and Sterile Stadium because it was "cheaper", when they couldve built something closer
to Camden Yards, per HOK
4. Helped start 1994 Strike, costing WhiteSox a WS appearance
for first time since 1959
5. Continued PR decisions that Alienate FanBase

If Management were to "Correct" these 5 mistakes, Attendance would Surge Again. Its That Simple. Wish they'd pay ME $200,000 to tell them that. Their Choosing to IGNORE the Attention the Cubs get, by Rationalizing that "theyre a phenomena" Compounds and Exacerbates the Problem, 2fold, 3fold, 4fold,5fold.

Add a number to every Year their Backward Thinking continues in dealing with the Cubs and Playing in a Dual Market.
Hate to say it Jerry, Your a Foolish Old man. This is a 2 market
city, and one team is laughing all the way to the bank,
while You Ignore the Media Bias, Cut Payroll and Blame the Fans Instead by Telling Us If We Show Up, You "May" Build.

If I opened a Restaurant/Bar, and told people if they show up and buy my stuff, I "might" make the product Better in the future, HOW LONG WOULD I BE IN BUSINESS ??

Hangar18
01-25-2004, 03:57 PM
" weve had people from last year who've sampled our product, and will be back now" -Rob Gallas on season ticket holders
from last year, who are back for more this year.

Except he didnt mention how they Not Only NOT IMPROVE their Product, but Openly Let their Product Deteriorate with the Expectation that if the Customers Show Up This Year......
They "May" Improve their Product Better later on.
Show Up ......Or Else

washington
01-25-2004, 04:09 PM
Seriously. Why does this guy have a job? How is it possible to fail as miserably as the head of White Sox marketing?

Hangar18
01-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by washington
Seriously. Why does this guy have a job? How is it possible to fail as miserably as the head of White Sox marketing?

Well, the Minute he leaves, the Cubs, Never too proud
to dig in the White Sox trashbin, will Snap Him up in a Heartbeat
and the Media will Laud him for his "witty promotions"

Huisj
01-25-2004, 05:10 PM
He said they removed the top 8 rows of the upper deck, and said those were the steepest seats. Isn't the whole upper deck at the same angle? it didn't get steeper as you went up, just higher. obviously, gallas has really bought into the "perception" element of the work on the park. he thinks perception is reality.

Brian26
01-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
He said they removed the top 8 rows of the upper deck, and said those were the steepest seats. Isn't the whole upper deck at the same angle?

Absolutely correct. The top 8 rows were no steeper than the first or second row. The entire upper deck was at the same angle. Not sure that he's buying into perception as much as maybe he's just an idiot.

For that matter, the interviewer wasn't that solid either. Talk about some softball questions. Felt like I was reading a story out of a junior high school newspaper.

joecrede
01-25-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
He said they removed the top 8 rows of the upper deck, and said those were the steepest seats. Isn't the whole upper deck at the same angle? it didn't get steeper as you went up, just higher. obviously, gallas has really bought into the "perception" element of the work on the park. he thinks perception is reality.

I've read where the top (10?) rows were 1-degree steeper. Something like 32 or 33 degrees.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-25-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
I've read where the top (10?) rows were 1-degree steeper. Something like 32 or 33 degrees.

Oh, well that explains it.

:)

"****in' pricks."

joecrede
01-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Oh, well that explains it.

The devil's always in those details. :gulp:

Daver
01-25-2004, 06:21 PM
The pitch of the upper deck at Comiskey Park is the same as the pitch at Camden Yards,The Ballpark in Arlington,Jacobs Field,and whatever they are calling that atrocity in Houston nowadays,yet I don't see any complaints from the media in those cities about the upper deck.

joecrede
01-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Daver
The pitch of the upper deck at Comiskey Park is the same as the pitch at Camden Yards,The Ballpark in Arlington,Jacobs Field,and whatever they are calling that atrocity in Houston nowadays,yet I don't see any complaints from the media in those cities about the upper deck.

Yep and with the renovations the Cell will have fewer rows in its upper deck than Camden Yards, Jacobs Field, and the Houston atrocity.

TornLabrum
01-25-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Daver

As I've explained many times before, the main reason there are no complaints there is that you don't have to walk from the bottom all the way up to the top row in any of those ball parks like you do at the Cell.

voodoochile
01-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Is anyone else worried about Gallas trying to win over the Mexican community?

:KW
"And now to talk about our new La Fiesta package season ticket package, I give you Rob Gallas."

(Frito Bandito playing in the back ground)

"Ola - that means Hello for all you Tribune reporter. It's an exciting time to be a Sox fan. We have recently been informed that there are several citizens of Mexican descent living in or around the greater Chicago area. Now, far be it from me to dispute this number, but some even say that number goes as high as several thousand. Now, I'm not willing to be that optimistic, but hey just to be safe, we are going to try to sell some seats to these Home-bres - which I understand is the street lingo for Homeys, just Mexicanized in pronunciation. We are going to do a special deal on days when .... pssst... Kenny.... pssst.... (Kenny looks up)... Kenny... how do you say Esteban in Mexican?"

soxnut
01-26-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by SouthBendSox
interesting read

not sure why "feeeling secure" is an issue to fans in the upper deck

but yea

If you don't have the feeling that some people have---like me about the upper deck, then you wouldn't understand. When I have been in the upper deck, I have preferred to sit in the first few rows, or the last few rows. Sitting anywhere in the middle of the upper deck gave me a feeling of floating. When I was in the last few rows, covered by the roof, I didn't feel that way, can't explain it, I just did. So, by putting more of a roof over the UD, it will be a more secure and comfortable feeling.

soxnut
01-26-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I also like how he Sidesteps the the Cubs/Sox attendance issue by saying "theyre a phenomena", and ignoring the real reason the Cubs got this Wildly Popular.

1. Media Favoritism
2. White Sox Ignored Media Bias, thereby allowing prob to grow
3. Built an Obsolete and Sterile Stadium because it was "cheaper", when they couldve built something closer
to Camden Yards, per HOK
4. Helped start 1994 Strike, costing WhiteSox a WS appearance
for first time since 1959
5. Continued PR decisions that Alienate FanBase

If Management were to "Correct" these 5 mistakes, Attendance would Surge Again. Its That Simple. Wish they'd pay ME $200,000 to tell them that. Their Choosing to IGNORE the Attention the Cubs get, by Rationalizing that "theyre a phenomena" Compounds and Exacerbates the Problem, 2fold, 3fold, 4fold,5fold.

Add a number to every Year their Backward Thinking continues in dealing with the Cubs and Playing in a Dual Market.
Hate to say it Jerry, Your a Foolish Old man. This is a 2 market
city, and one team is laughing all the way to the bank,
while You Ignore the Media Bias, Cut Payroll and Blame the Fans Instead by Telling Us If We Show Up, You "May" Build.

If I opened a Restaurant/Bar, and told people if they show up and buy my stuff, I "might" make the product Better in the future, HOW LONG WOULD I BE IN BUSINESS ??

Ok, well you can blame the Sox for their attendance problem, but you can't blame them for most of the Cubs success regarding attendance. Alot of it does have to do with the neighborhood the Cubs are in, and the atmosphere surounding it. It is the same situation as the Red Sox, those people go whether the Red Sox are in contention or not as well, you can't blame that on the White Sox(even though the way some of you are, you will find a way)---these teams are a phenomenon, unfortunately.

soxnut
01-26-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
Yep and with the renovations the Cell will have fewer rows in its upper deck than Camden Yards, Jacobs Field, and the Houston atrocity.

What's so bad about Minute Maid Park? I am planning on going there and to SBC this summer. :?: